Duperbash, M2C going to Traxxas!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was a TA RC10 guy, so I always bragged about the Alu. tub chassis they used. Then the Slash became a plastic quasi copy of it.
Just going back to the roots of this old Trx rig and what I saw back then. The RC10 transmission design was copied well. Because it was a great design.
Was used even in the early Crawler days.
So many vehicles were either reverse engineered from the RC10 or a copy of it.

Here are a few.
Traxxas Rustler, Bandit, Stampede, Slash.
HPI Firestorm, Blitz.
MRP Ripper.
Thunder Tiger Phoenix.
Duratrax Evader.
Ecx Boost, Circuit, Ruckus, Torment.
Team C TC02, TC02T, TC02SC, TR02, TR02T, TS2.
Racers Edge Pro2 Trek SC, Switchback, Traverse.
Ansmann Mad Rat.

Agree. RC10 paved the way for surface RC as we know it today. Many brands.
Associated Electrics was all good with it. Promoting competition and expanding its reach. Unlike another brand.

In the early 2000's RC was petering out. It peaked with little growth. And many brands had invested heavily prior and got stuck with inventory. It all slowed down.
Trx started marketting RTR's heavily to put them into the hands of people who would never Race or could even think about building kits from scratch, which was the norm prior to this. Back then your LHS was building kits for many guys who hadn't a clue. I was even building them at the track for other guys. Who were clueless. There was no internet or YT videos around. You needed to hook up with someone with knowledge. How it was back then.
I guess you could say TRX takes credit for The RTR revolution.:cool:
Lets face it there are many that will never want to build kits from scratch.
RTR's have spoiled many in this regard.
Imagine if all Arrma rigs were scratch built kits these days. It wouldn't fly at all. There would be less RC hobbyists. IMHO.
Me, I am a kit builder at heart. Only because its how I learned the hobby.

From a manufacturing point of view, it is much cheaper to build RTR's for the consumer.
Kits cost more to produce. Seems counterintuitive, but is quite true.

Last edited:
I think that while rtrs are good for beginners it doesn't get the owner familiar with design of the car.
I agree. Even though I have kit experience, I’m at a disadvantage when I tear down an RTR because I didn’t build it in the first place. Even after poring over diagrams and schematics, it’s still difficult to know which components must come off to service another, and which can stay. The order of assembly (and disassembly) is invaluable knowledge.
I’m about to do my first tear down of the Mojave and I definitely have some trepidation. At least like @SrC pointed out, it ain’t like the old days before the interweb. I’ll find every bit of help I might need right here on this forum, watch a couple YouTube videos, and probably be all set. I can disassemble and reassemble a 2wd Slash in my sleep at this point, but not only is the Mojave my first Arrma, it’s also my first 4wd except for an old Redcat, and I never broke that one down before I sold it. So I’m going in feet first on a full tear down, 3-diff shimming and filling, installation of ceramic bearings, swapping motor and diff mounts, etc. in the very near future. And just as I typed this, my mind started swimming with questions. Cause I didn‘t build it in the first place! Glad you guys are here, and I value the advice from all.

From a manufacturing point of view, it is much cheaper to build RTR's for the consumer.
Kits cost more to produce. Seems counterintuitive, but is quite true.
How does that make sense? They would be forced to have stuff to assemble the cars +shock oil/diff fluid and then do more QC.

My first tear downs were each a week of all my spare time of trying to re-assemble the cars and make sure it matched the diagram before I got familiar with the setups. (I don't even care if the screw is the right size...as long as it fits)

I think that while rtrs are good for beginners it doesn't get the owner familiar with design of the car.
A kit builder knows this. A RTR guy will not. Learning will be after the fact, after it breaks and/ or needs maintenance.
That's where the fun or frustration starts. But mostly everything is RTR these days. Is what it is.
After I build a kit, I can even usually predict how it will drive.

I’ve heard this from numerous people. I’ll never own one though, because if I ever drop a whole stack on an RC it’s probably going to be a Losi DBXL-E. Yes, I know it’s a totally different animal but dang those things are cool. I’ve been looking for a good deal on a used one but haven’t found one yet I’d buy. It is cool though that M2C is branching out a bit and if they move more solidly into the Traxxas brand they would quintuple their market share. I’ve always wished that there was an aluminum LCG chassis option for the Slash 2wd. If they did that they would have zero competition as they simply don’t exist in the aftermarket, and with the explosion in no prep drag (which are mostly converted 1/10 SCT’s) the timing couldn’t be better as they would be serving two gigantic markets with a single b
I have a DBXL-E also , awesome big rig !! I have it in the classified section , no action so I put not for sale anymore and NTM might regret selling it . It is still like brand new .

I agree. Even though I have kit experience, I’m at a disadvantage when I tear down an RTR because I didn’t build it in the first place. Even after poring over diagrams and schematics, it’s still difficult to know which components must come off to service another, and which can stay. The order of assembly (and disassembly) is invaluable knowledge.
I’m about to do my first tear down of the Mojave and I definitely have some trepidation. At least like @SrC pointed out, it ain’t like the old days before the interweb. I’ll find every bit of help I might need right here on this forum, watch a couple YouTube videos, and probably be all set. I can disassemble and reassemble a 2wd Slash in my sleep at this point, but not only is the Mojave my first Arrma, it’s also my first 4wd except for an old Redcat, and I never broke that one down before I sold it. So I’m going in feet first on a full tear down, 3-diff shimming and filling, installation of ceramic bearings, swapping motor and diff mounts, etc. in the very near future. And just as I typed this, my mind started swimming with questions. Cause I didn‘t build it in the first place! Glad you guys are here, and I value the advice from all.
Its just muscle memory at some point. You will find the best way to break down the chassis into sub assemblies. You will eventually find the short cut to do it faster and most efficiently. If anything, removing the front complete bulkhead assy. is the most daunting if anything. Need to remove that ST top plate etc. Upper arms etc. Many fasteners involved.
The RTR manuals are far from Kit manuals. Far from it.
But Arrma's do show the basic procedure to disassemble the diffs for example. Many don't have the manual in hand most of the time. Not needed eventually. But in the beginning really helps alot. Pretty much ALL 6s rigs are the same. Whether a Lim, Infr or a Notorious or a Typhon.

I have a DBXL-E also , awesome big rig !! I have it in the classified section , no action so I put not for sale anymore and NTM might regret selling it . It is still like brand new .
My friend wanted to to buy a K8S or an O8S. I told him why? Just drive mine and get a DBXLE like he was thinking. I told him to buy something that I don't have 🤣

I paid $850 for a snap-on Xmaxx (love the box body)…. It also came with a red and black stock body complete, roller tool box, spare arms, knuckles, rear hubs, stock servo, chassis, and some other parts… laminated exploded schematics, snap on manual, set of proline belted wheels, rpm oversized rear hubs, rpm hinge pins, and the Traxxas Bluetooth module…. Was never run. Deal of the century…. Dead of winter find on offer up….

And now the ugly…. Hahaha the Xmaxx makes it home 99% of the time…(blew one diff, one time… actually, my son did it) she is always the last one standing… everyone else, including me, breaks their 2-4 rigs they bring (all Arrma)…..
also, I prefer the stock tires for general bashing over the proline. The prolines are double the weight…(all my Xmaxx buddies give me their stock wheels so I have 5 sets as of right now. Hahaha

The Xmaxx is the most I spent up front, least I’ve spent on the long run next to my Rovan 1/5 Baja clone….

Now my son’s Traxxas maxx has been the same…. But has a 100% makes it back home, record so far…. So there is something to be said about these plastic embodied Rc’ s….

Not a fan boy. I just bought another Arrma…. But Traxxas surly got it right with the Xmaxx and maxx…. I’ve been rocking Rc’s since i got a tamiya sand rover back in the 80’s…. That rig was like the Ford Pinto of the rc world…. Hahaha

You gotta dive right in brother😃
First couple times will surely take longer, but as SrC has said, it gets easier after you've done it. You'll pick up on it quickly I'm sure👍

You gotta dive right in brother😃
First couple times will surely take longer, but as SrC has said, it gets easier after you've done it. You'll pick up on it quickly I'm sure👍

Actually, trying to figure out how an RTR is assembled and what's the best way to access a certain part (without looking at the exploded view) is a big part of the fun for me.

It doesn't take long before you don't need diagrams and Youtube tutorials anymore. After a while, you just find your prefered way of doing things and you can completely disassemble/reassemble your car without thinking about it too much. :)

I paid $850 for a snap-on Xmaxx (love the box body)…. It also came with a red and black stock body complete, roller tool box, spare arms, knuckles, rear hubs, stock servo, chassis, and some other parts… laminated exploded schematics, snap on manual, set of proline belted wheels, rpm oversized rear hubs, rpm hinge pins, and the Traxxas Bluetooth module…. Was never run. Deal of the century…. Dead of winter find on offer up….

And now the ugly…. Hahaha the Xmaxx makes it home 99% of the time…(blew one diff, one time… actually, my son did it) she is always the last one standing… everyone else, including me, breaks their 2-4 rigs they bring (all Arrma)…..
also, I prefer the stock tires for general bashing over the proline. The prolines are double the weight…(all my Xmaxx buddies give me their stock wheels so I have 5 sets as of right now. Hahaha

The Xmaxx is the most I spent up front, least I’ve spent on the long run next to my Rovan 1/5 Baja clone….

Now my son’s Traxxas maxx has been the same…. But has a 100% makes it back home, record so far…. So there is something to be said about these plastic embodied Rc’ s….

Not a fan boy. I just bought another Arrma…. But Traxxas surly got it right with the Xmaxx and maxx…. I’ve been rocking Rc’s since i got a tamiya sand rover back in the 80’s…. That rig was like the Ford Pinto of the rc world…. Hahaha
dam $850???? For all of that??? I would have picked that up too even if not looking for the X max.
You robbed it!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: And SnapOn edition is hard to come by.

Damn dude! $850 is a steal considering it came from $nap-on!!
Nice to think someone got one up on THEM for a change😁

dam $850???? For all of that??? I would have picked that up too even if not looking for the X max.
You robbed it!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: And SnapOn edition is hard to come by.
I see just the body selling for a few hundred bucks. Hell I think the box sells for around a Benjamin. I think the last time I saw a Snap on Xmaxx for sale the seller wanted $1,500 for it.

25F66E30-457C-413A-800B-EB33D9F49D3C.png
This was the day I picked her up! I have thought about selling the body and the proline wheels. Make half my money back and then buy something else! As the addiction goes on and on till the break of dawn!
Oops, my bad @eyeopenher ..
I thought you scored it from $nap-on.
Somebody paid a mint for that thing!!
Good score, and as much as I bash the Traxxas brand, I cannot deny results..

I did not get it from snap on…. The guy was a mechanic and had no kids or anything. He listed it for $1050. Dead of winter I offered $800. He said $850 and I had a deal…. He didn’t know what he had apparently….

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back