ESC/Receiver compatibility

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run that DumboRC and it is a great radio. Did you order the KS-3518 servo? Great little servo for the price.

Don't just start upgrading things to metal unless you have good reason to do so. Is this for the Senton? Is this a Mega or 3S Senton? Big difference. What size and KV rating motor are you installing in the Senton? What battery are you planning to run it on? What is the exact model of the ESC that you will be using?
Its for a Granite Voltage.

Just the original right now. But I found one a dumborc 6ch with receiver and gyro for 35$ and servo for 18$ wish I would have done little more research to get it done correctly than to just go into it. But I had a few people tell me a whole bunch of thing yes and no. So lesson learned. But now I have to hurry and wait for everything again. Be down and out until I get it. Another question I have is do you know where I can find upgraded metal parts for my truck. Drivetrain and idle gears and such?
The DumboRC is the radio i use with one of my short course trucks. The servo's i use are from eBay, and are 20KG all metal servo's in a red or blue aluminum housing. As far as i know, there arent any metal parts available for the Voltage stuff.

That is the motor esc combo I got. This is my first rc and I'm loving it I want to get deeper but for my first car this one has been great I got the black friday deal. But I'm thinking it's time to step it up. I'm running into a few problems now but love the truck. What are your thoughts on the granite 4x4 matte black. I can't remember all specific but I know on the arrma website it goes for 329? You know which one I mean?

Screenshot_20201231-124636.png

I was also wondering do you only do the short course like that or any other type of rc? I recently got an axial svx24 b-17 betty and it is freaking amazing. Didn't realize how upgradable they are and I love it as well. Working on an indoor rock course for it. Just wondering if you knew anything on those at all as well. And thank you so much for your help.

That is the motor esc combo I got. This is my first rc and I'm loving it I want to get deeper but for my first car this one has been great I got the black friday deal. But I'm thinking it's time to step it up. I'm running into a few problems now but love the truck. What are your thoughts on the granite 4x4 matte black. I can't remember all specific but I know on the arrma website it goes for 329? You know which one I mean?

View attachment 117022

I sure do - that's the Arrma Big Rock 3S BLX and it is the best 1/10 scale RC truck out there I believe. It's a great choice.

You can never get a Granite Voltage to the same level of speed and durability as the Big Rock. No way. But you can put that system in the Voltage and if you set your slipper correctly and stay on 2S it probably won't explode. Be sure you set your mesh properly. Just be aware that a Voltage was never designed to go that fast or handle that much power, so it may end up breaking a lot. No way that 60 amp ESC survives on 3S. I don't care what it says - you will burn it up, trust me. I've done it.

That said; I have an ECX Amp MT that was really cheap, 2WD and brushed that I now have a 120 amp ESC, 3,300 KV brushless motor on 3S and run with a DumboRC radio - and it's extremely fast. Pretty tough too. I did get the metal gear set for it, but I run the stock plastic spur gear with no problems. You must learn how to set your slipper properly and you need to monitor motor temperatures and have different pinion gears you can test.

You are talking about the Granite 4X4 BLX. I have the Mega version that i have upgraded to brushless, but then gave to a 9 year old. I am more into short course stuff, than i am monster trucks. Most of what i have though, i buy as rollers on eBay, and then put in my own motor, ESC, servo and receiver. I try to stick to around $125 for a truck, then add a Hobby Wing ESC, Surpass motor, and i already have a Fly Sky GT2B and GT3C, so then i just get a receiver, since those radio's will control up to 10 vehicles.

You are talking about the Granite 4X4 BLX. I have the Mega version that i have upgraded to brushless, but then gave to a 9 year old. I am more into short course stuff, than i am monster trucks. Most of what i have though, i buy as rollers on eBay, and then put in my own motor, ESC, servo and receiver. I try to stick to around $125 for a truck, then add a Hobby Wing ESC, Surpass motor, and i already have a Fly Sky GT2B and GT3C, so then i just get a receiver, since those radio's will control up to 10 vehicles.

He said the voltage and the pictures make me think it is the Voltage. It's not the same platform as the Mega.

The DumboRC he ordered is a great radio and you can bind it to multiple vehicles. The receivers are $15 each and include gyro. It doesn't have a memory for each model like more expensive radios, but for $35 you really can't beat it. Also extremely fast and I've run mine out to 400 meters... well my son has. I can't see that far.

For my first one I am Having a blast I didn't figure it was supposed to go that fast but I'm going to try lol. That box will be my next big purchase. I love the voltage but I need something that I can drive into a little deeper. Just this little hiccup and will be on the road again. And if it's too much for the truck I can always put my other motor in. I changed stock motor to a 12 surpass brushed and it kicked it up a bit. But I want a little more. I have 3 pinions a 16 19 21. So I have a few choices. Just trying to get the motor set correctly and everything lined up was a female dog.
For my first one I am Having a blast I didn't figure it was supposed to go that fast but I'm going to try lol. That box will be my next big purchase. I love the voltage but I need something that I can drive into a little deeper. Just this little hiccup and will be on the road again. And if it's too much for the truck I can always put my other motor in. I changed stock motor to a 12 surpass brushed and it kicked it up a bit. But I want a little more. I have 3 pinions a 16 19 21. So I have a few choices. Just trying to get the motor set correctly and everything lined up was a female dog.
The motor/ esc I ordered is that an ok one does anyone know. The esc is pretty nifty can hook up to usb and has 8 modes or something like that and throttle control all sorts of things. I just wish I had done a little more research to make sure I could do it all at one time. But live and learn.

He said the voltage and the pictures make me think it is the Voltage. It's not the same platform as the Mega.

The DumboRC he ordered is a great radio and you can bind it to multiple vehicles. The receivers are $15 each and include gyro. It doesn't have a memory for each model like more expensive radios, but for $35 you really can't beat it. Also extremely fast and I've run mine out to 400 meters... well my son has. I can't see that far.
Go back up a few posts. He specifically asked me about the black Granite 4X4. You even replied to it saying it was the Big Rock. This is what i was referring to in that reply.
What are your thoughts on the granite 4x4 matte black.

I was also wondering do you only do the short course like that or any other type of rc? I recently got an axial svx24 b-17 betty and it is freaking amazing. Didn't realize how upgradable they are and I love it as well. Working on an indoor rock course for it. Just wondering if you knew anything on those at all as well. And thank you so much for your help.
I do most of my vehicles that way, buy a roller on eBay, and then build it the way i want. My preferred vehicle's are short course trucks, but, i also have monster trucks, buggies, truggies.

Yes I have the granite voltage and was asking about the 4x4. Just so no confusion. The 4x4 is the next one I am getting but I want to get my voltage up a little more. So I know a little more of what I'm doing before I drive in like this one lol.

The motor/ esc I ordered is that an ok one does anyone know. The esc is pretty nifty can hook up to usb and has 8 modes or something like that and throttle control all sorts of things. I just wish I had done a little more research to make sure I could do it all at one time. But live and learn.
The Voltage line are great starter vehicles, but, werent designed much in the way of upgrades. The thinking was, start with a Voltage, then, when you are ready, step up to something better, like the Granite, Typhon, Senton, Big Rock, ect.

The Voltage line are great starter vehicles, but, werent designed much in the way of upgrades. The thinking was, start with a Voltage, then, when you are ready, step up to something better, like the Granite, Typhon, Senton, Big Rock, ect.
I'm starting to figure that out now lol. But this will probably be the last major upgrade for the voltage. My cousin just bought a typhon that should be here in a few days and I'm going to make him give it to me. He will never use it and only got it because of me . So I might have a typhon soon. But I also just got my a 1/24 scale axial . Betty b 17 limited . # 435 / 9999. Got a whole bunch new things to upgrade on it. So excited about that. I just recently got into it if you guys could t tell and I absolutely love it. Been way more than helpful and I am most appreciative.

I'm starting to figure that out now lol. But this will probably be the last major upgrade for the voltage. My cousin just bought a typhon that should be here in a few days and I'm going to make him give it to me. He will never use it and only got it because of me . So I might have a typhon soon. But I also just got my a 1/24 scale axial . Betty b 17 limited . # 435 / 9999. Got a whole bunch new things to upgrade on it. So excited about that. I just recently got into it if you guys could t tell and I absolutely love it. Been way more than helpful and I am most appreciative.
Its not a bad way to do it though. Spend a little bit to see if you will actually get into it, and, if you do, then you spend more, and, if you don't, you arent out much, and, can at least sell it and get some of your money back. Better than my brother, who spent $800 on his first car, only to sell it at a loss 5 weeks later.

Im not sure if this has been asked before, but, i looked and couldnt find anything on it. Basically, my question is, if i upgrade from a brushed to a brushless motor, do i also need to change the receiver? I know i need the brushless motor and ESC, but, is that all i need. For example, and, just for my own knowledge, since i am always trying to swap and mix and match stuff, but, have never done much interchanging of electronics, say i have a Redcat Hexfly receiver, and a Racers Edge ESC and brushless motor, can i just plug the ESC into the existing receiver, or, do i also have to use the matching Racers Edge receiver? Another example, and one im really more interested in is, i have an Arrma Fury, and what i want to actually do is take the receiver from that, and put into a Redcat Volcano, since my 9 year old is more comfortable with the Arrma ATX 300 transmitter i have, due to being able to move the steering wheel to different positions. This way, if i can do mix and match like that, i can swap the Arrma receiver into her Redcat, and then use her Redcat receiver and transmitter for the Fury, or, even use the Racers Edge transmitter and receiver in the Fury. I am also picking up a used Arrma Senton on monday, that needs a mtor and ESC, so, i am going to use the brushless motor and ESC from my racers edge Pro 2 that i destroyed, and keep the original Transmitter that comes with the Senton. I may also end up using the Redcat transmitter in the Senton, my Racers Edge transmitter and receiver in the Fury, and my ATX 300 for the Volcano, which is why i am asking about doing just random swaps from vehicle to vehicle. I like the Racers Edge and the Redcat transmitters, but, when i tested out the Senton today, i wasnt really keen on how that transmitter felt. Sorry if this seems at all confusing, im just trying to list all the possibilities i can think of, just in case one combo, say the Redcat receiver and Racers Edge ESC will work, but, say, the Racers Edge ESC and motor wont work with the ATX300 and receiver. Im also trying not to do trial and error, so i don't ruin anything.
You are tryin to do the impossible.
You have the wrongs parts to begin with.
I see the blind leading the blind here. You are blinded, so we all are. :LOL:
Not sure how you came up with the gear you have. Combination Rx/ESC's are not the way to upgrade. A waste of $$ as well with little performance advantage. Return you gear and start over if you can. Best advice I can give.
?‍♂️
Some of the above posts are steering you in the right direction

But no one has told you like I am right now.:cool:
Sorry but I don't pull my punches, or hold hands either.
Just straight to the point I am. ?‍♂️

I totally got into it been having super rough time and this is helping me more than I could have imagined. I'm ready to move on up. My friend that got my into it is a traxxas fan. He xmaxx 1/5. E revo 1/8 the rustler and stamped. He got me hooked. But I also love the mini crawler too. I just got one.
Not sure how you came up with the gear you have. Combination Rx/ESC's are not the way to upgrade.
?‍♂️

Blind leading blond please explain. I'm new to this asking for help let me know what s wrong so I don't screw up anymore
I totally got into it been having super rough time and this is helping me more than I could have imagined. I'm ready to move on up. My friend that got my into it is a traxxas fan. He xmaxx 1/5. E revo 1/8 the rustler and stamped. He got me hooked. But I also love the mini crawler too. I just got one.

Blind leading blond please explain. I'm new to this asking for help let me know what s wrong so I don't screw up anymore
All I need is a servo and receiver the stock won't work cause it's a combo. What is wrong with how Im doing it. Just asking for help.

Last edited:
Not sure how you came up with the gear you have. Combination Rx/ESC's are not the way to upgrade. A waste of $$ as well with little performance advantage. Return you gear and start over if you can. Best advice I can give.
?‍♂️

Sorry but I don't pull my punches, or hold hands either.
Just straight to the point I am. ?‍♂️
He started with a new Granite Voltage, which he then wanted to upgrade to BL, but didnt realize that the Arrma 3-in-1 wouldnt run a separate BL ESC. Everyone has to start somewhere though, and with anything, there is always a learning process. He originally only bought the motor/ESC combo, without the other needed parts. We all make mistakes though.

All I need is a servo and receiver the stock won't work cause it's a combo. What is wrong with how Im doing it. Just asking for help.
Before you look into buying your next vehicle, start by deciding what you want. What type, what scale, what kind of budget, those kinds of things. The Granite isnt a bad vehicle, but LIPO's can be a bit of a learning curve, and can be daunting for some people.

No issues here.
I see too much chatter here and wasted effort and misinformation with this long thread. I made mistakes also. We all have.
Someone here has to just point out his obvious mistake up front and correct it. And move on to the correct solution. No if's or maybe's here. ?‍♂️
Nothing personal here.:)
No one is laughing or criticizing the OP. I can only speak for myself at least.

No issues here.
I see too much chatter here and wasted effort and misinformation with this long thread. I made mistakes also. We all have.
Someone here has to just point out his obvious mistake up front and correct it. And move on to the correct solution. No if's or maybe's here. ?‍♂️
Nothing personal here.:)
No one is laughing or criticizing the OP. I can only speak for myself at least.
It took me a bit to get to correcting him, but that was my fault. I looked at what his first post about it said, looked at the pic, then misunderstood initially what was actually going on. It wasnt until i actually took a real good look at the pic that i saw what he was trying to do. As for mistakes, i could make a whole page of the mistakes i have made with RC stuff.

He started with a new Granite Voltage, which he then wanted to upgrade to BL, but didnt realize that the Arrma 3-in-1 wouldnt run a separate BL ESC. Everyone has to start somewhere though, and with anything, there is always a learning process. He originally only bought the motor/ESC combo, without the other needed parts. We all make mistakes though.

Before you look into buying your next vehicle, start by deciding what you want. What type, what scale, what kind of budget, those kinds of things. The Granite isnt a bad vehicle, but LIPO's can be a bit of a learning curve, and can be daunting for some people.
Yes that it I just need a few things to complete is all. I am already running lipo on the truck. I know which way I want to go now but I need to finish this project and it won't be to hard to do what I need to to make it work.
It took me a bit to get to correcting him, but that was my fault. I looked at what his first post about it said, looked at the pic, then misunderstood initially what was actually going on. It wasnt until i actually took a real good look at the pic that i saw what he was trying to do. As for mistakes, i could make a whole page of the mistakes i have made with RC stuff.
Yes I still had the original esc on in the picture with the new one. I didn't buy a compy rx esc I got motor esc. . but didn't realize it was 3n1 on the original.that was my mistake but I just need a few things to complete the setup now if I am not mistaking now.

Like I said above. We all made mistakes.
We are all here to help our fellow brothers.
The OP's upgrade situation is quite common with his rig from where I am standing.
He described his new gear and what his objective was.
It is a no go. That simple.
2 pages of chatter later and I decided it's time to step in. ?‍♂️

2 pages of chatter later and I decided it's time to step in. ?‍♂️
It wasnt all aout that one vehicle though. He was also asking me about other stuff, and other vehicles. We finally got it straightened out as to what he needs to upgrade the Voltage to BL, and now we are on to his next vehicle.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back