Kraton EXB Kraton Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the diff shimming still required on the newest exb kits?
I’m expecting mine this Friday

I ordered the shins just in case but wondering if they’re shimmed from the factory now?
I think the extra shims are now included in a bag (not sure which shims though) in the box subsequent to the initial run of the EXB. I believe it is necessary for everyone to open and examine all the 3 EXB diffs out the box. That is the general consensus here at least. It appears, they are all low on fluid from what everyone says. So have diff fluids available when you do get yours.

This comes in the box.

image.jpg

I think the extra shims are now included in a bag (not sure which shims though) in the box subsequent to the initial run of the EXB. I believe it is necessary for everyone to open and examine all the 3 EXB diffs out the box. That is the general consensus here at least. It appears, they are all low on fluid from what everyone says. So have diff fluids available when you do get yours.
What diff fluids do you guys recommend?

I’ll order them now

I’ll order them now
So far while checking all my diffs, the front barely had any fluid, center was actually filled correctly, the rear was low about halfway filled. I cleaned them out and filled with 30k/150k/15k. Some might recommend 50k/200k/30k or somewhere around there.

This is my first Arrma so don't go off completely from what I say lol, trial and error. I'm learning as I go and sponging off all the guys here and there input.

I'd recommend opening all the diffs as mentioned and depends if you want to run the rear with the LSD. I figured since I'm opening it up, might as well shim it.

Check all screws are tight. The grub screws holding the 17mm hexes in place are filled with loctite, as well as the screws for the center braces and motor mounts. Got myself a mini hot air gun and it's been a life saver!

Your choice of electronics and routing/installing everything is up to you.

Oh and droop screws, make sure to set those up before you send it! I went ahead and installed the M2C mushroom head droop screws.

I’ll order them now
Let others chime in with their EXB recommend oil. I will defer that info for others to give. My Moj. RTR diffs use 70kFr,500K, 30k Rr. great for me, but don't go by mine just yet.

EDIT: I get the impression that The EXB Lim slip diffs run better with thinner oil. ?‍♂️

Let others chime in with their EXB recommend oil. I will defer that info for others to give. My Moj. RTR diffs use 70kFr,500K, 30k Rr. great for me, but don't go by mine just yet.
I would cut your fluid values in half for LSD based diffs. Start there and see how it performs.

Opened it up, it has the lsd plates in it, but they weren't star, round, star. It had the round one right under the sun gear and then the 2 stars plates, (the minimum effect set up). Also no shims behind the planetary gears. First time I opened a diff and saw that.

Opened it up, it has the lsd plates in it, but they weren't star, round, star. It had the round one right under the sun gear and then the 2 stars plates, (the minimum effect set up). Also no shims behind the planetary gears. First time I opened a diff and saw that.
Yeah that's how my rear LSDs were setup. Which planetary gears are you speaking of? I know the gears on inside as the 4 spider gears, 2 sun gears, then the outside gears as the ring & pinion gears. Tomato tomahto ??‍♂️

Yeah that's how my rear LSDs were setup. Which planetary gears are you speaking of? I know the gears on inside as the 4 spider gears, 2 sun gears, then the outside gears as the ring & pinion gears. Tomato tomahto ??‍♂️
Planetary/ spider. Planets go around the sun. If I called them spider gears someone would've said something about them being planetary. Can't win ?

Anywho, since I already have a few packs of the lsd plates I'm probably going to pull the friction plates and add another star plate just to get it back together. I'll order the shims from McMaster's for next time.

Actually, looking at a pack of Arrma gears, they list the 2 sun gears as planetary and the 4 little ones as satellite, so I guess I messed that up. Been calling them wrong my whole life. ?? Such an idiot.

Planetary/ spider. Planets go around the sun. If I called them spider gears someone would've said something about them being planetary. Can't win ?

Anywho, since I already have a few packs of the lsd plates I'm probably going to pull the friction plates and add another star plate just to get it back together. I'll order the shims from McMaster's for next time.
The Planetary/spider gears/cogs have that square/quadangular looking shim/spacer with holes/punctures?

Hope you know what I'm talking about ?

Got a handful of things done to my EXB.
Installed a glitch buster on the receiver. Installed the heatsink with fan on the motor, have it all connected with some Y connectors, gotta clean that wiring up a bit.

I connected two Y connectors together and was able to run both fans plus have an open female connecter to plug in my programming card, makes it easier than disconnecting the fan from the ESC to connect the programming card.

Put some plastic screen on the ESC fan. Still need to add some to the fan for the motor.

Eyeballed the camber settings. The front driver had some really bad negative camber. Found some brass c-clips to use as spacers that would make you think it was made for it!

Lastly, cover the inside vents and make two vents on the tread of the tire. You think I'll need to make two more vent holes? The Manual shows to make four on each tire ??‍♂️

612fzBUIx9L._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

IMG_20201126_140242_204.jpg

51Jf8lcBYvL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

IMG_20201126_115656_211.jpg

IMG_20201126_115558_448.jpg

IMG_20201126_115545_095.jpg

IMG_20201126_115948_507.jpg

IMG_20201126_140440_948.jpg

Some updates. Got screen on the Hobbywing fan and cleaned up the wiring a little.

Added some vaccum hose to the roll cage. Changed out the body posts to raise the body.

Why are the rear post adjustment screws on the inside!? Flipped them but rear holes on the body are too narrow ??‍♂️

IMG_20201127_201548_751.jpg

IMG_20201127_201628_047.jpg

IMG_20201127_201648_904.jpg

Yeah I got the Hobbywing C4 heatsink/fan for it, see how that works. Box only came with a 12T pinion but read 14T or 15T should be ok. I'll start with the 12T and check how my temps are on the ESC and motor.

Maybe in the future I'll order a lower kv motor and gear up?

Already have my first upgrade ?

View attachment 109789
Looks good, who makes that red center differential mount?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back