Felony Functional parachute

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea I have to do the cleaning up the rcs, but she is amazing and was willing to help me stop talking about a bolt on parachute for and rc car šŸ˜‚.
Wow, that really gets pitched when the chute comes out.

It's hard to see in the video but it looks like the chute opens to the passenger (US) side, which starts the skid. It could be opening unevenly and causing one side to "catch" first. Have you seen it start the skid on the other side?
1672116629353.png

And AJC mods had a similar problem with ESC braking. It seems to work better with minimal to know ESC braking.

I looked for a parachute opening in slow motion and found this, which shows it opening non-uniformly. So if it's open on one side first I would think it would pull the back end out.
1672116778483.png

You might try longer cords. They "should" apply diminish the sideways pulling. It's like a lever. Keep in mind that, It was a long time ago and I got a D is Statics, but I believe it would look something like this. But I could be all wrong too. This is similar to driving faster in windy areas to reduce the cross wind effect, or at least that my theory and I'm sticking with it.

1672118246076.png

@LibertyMKiii Knows more about Areo than I do. Maybe he has some ideas about what's happening?

It's hard to see in the video but it looks like the chute opens to the passenger (US) side, which starts the skid. It could be opening unevenly and causing one side to "catch" first. Have you seen it start the skid on the other side?
View attachment 265261
And AJC mods had a similar problem with ESC braking. It seems to work better with minimal to know ESC braking.

I looked for a parachute opening in slow motion and found this, which shows it opening non-uniformly. So if it's open on one side first I would think it would pull the back end out.
View attachment 265262

You might try longer cords. They "should" apply diminish the sideways pulling. It's like a lever. Keep in mind that, It was a long time ago and I got a D is Statics, but I believe it would look something like this. But I could be all wrong too. This is similar to driving faster in windy areas to reduce the cross wind effect, or at least that my theory and I'm sticking with it.

View attachment 265275

@LibertyMKiii Knows more about Areo than I do. Maybe he has some ideas about what's happening?

So basically you're suggesting to have a slightly longer single drag line so the chute (isn't so close to the rear of the vehicle) thus will have a shallow angle after deployment.

View attachment 265261

View attachment 265262

View attachment 265275

The thing about it is the chute was opening and getting hit by a pretty steady cross wind. That mixed with I live in florida where the road slopes down on each side from the center for drainage. At my moms house the road is flat, it works pretty perfectly. The first video in the thread was me trying to showcase this and the chute broke the threads. My wife sewed a Jesus thread on it and it works well. Iā€™ll try to find a flat road near me to mess with it. Maybe the wind will cooperate with me too. You can see the end of the run the wind is pushing the chute to the left while itā€™s going.

View attachment 265261

View attachment 265262

View attachment 265275

A few parts in your questions, so forgive my lack of knowledge on how to quote and reply. It does pitch to either side, it depends on which side of the road itā€™s deploys because the roads in Florida arenā€™t flat. They slope them down on either side for drainage.

Last edited:
So basically you're suggesting to have a slightly longer single drag line so the chute (isn't so close to the rear of the vehicle) thus will have a shallow angle after deployment.
The thing I wanted to try differently was to allow it to adjust for wind automatically. So instead of the attachment to the chute being super rigid, there is a 2ā€ slit where the chute cables can move back and forth. It allows the pitch to be changed based off of factors like wind and rear pitch of the car. It might also be whatā€™s pitching the car to the side, but earlier tests spun the car and tangled the chute in the wheels when the chute was rigid. After giving the chute space the spin corrected and even dealing with wind it corrected. The best is the car straightens out like it should and slows waaay down. Itā€™s a fun little experiment I guess.

Thatā€™s the idea at the high level. I have no idea how long it should be though.
The thing I wanted to try differently was to allow it to adjust for wind automatically. So instead of the attachment to the chute being super rigid, there is a 2ā€ slit where the chute cables can move back and forth. It allows the pitch to be changed based off of factors like wind and rear pitch of the car. It might also be whatā€™s pitching the car to the side, but earlier tests spun the car and tangled the chute in the wheels when the chute was rigid. After giving the chute space the spin corrected and even dealing with wind it corrected. The best is the car straightens out like it should and slows waaay down. Itā€™s a fun little experiment I guess.
That makes sense. The chute sort of "dangles" the car from the attachment point.

Not sure on the aerodynamics.
There is very turbulent air off the back of the car. I agree longer chords would help.
I am not a fan of parachutes on RC cars but anxious to see you prove they work well so I can take advantage of your efforts šŸ˜†
Itā€™s worked well so far. Tests #14-21 were the most successful. Only thing left is to find someplace flat. With gyro turned off the chute does itā€™s job with a sideways car and straightens it out while slowing it down significantly with no brakes. Painting a few parts so they donā€™t rust but the design is simple and bolts on, unlike the others where you have to remove part of the body. And functions just like the real thing at a smaller scale. You can see in channel 3 or 4 the servo plugs right in and itā€™s a micro servo. So the button on the receiver releases the chute. Under no circumstances would you attach the parachute to the holder. The cable is just a cut to length weedeater line. The parachute is just done with two ribbons, one tied to a strong chassis point, the other sewed with a loop to allow the chute to move on its own. (This is that self adjusting part). The bag has a plate on a spring inside that throws the chute. The cable is the part that holds it shut, please note, if you donā€™t have the cable attached to the bag, there is a high chance of too much free play not allowing movement on the action end. Pics are down below. The hardest part is getting a buddy with a welder to weld the all thread onto the flat plate you replace your exhaust with. The part that holds the parachute bag is held in place with an awning ring. I placed mine at a height that is just above the dovetail of the body and it seems to work well. Going back to that plate for strength add a bend 90 degrees up or down. Sounds super easy and cheap cause it is super easy and cheap.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

What was the secret...if you don't mind me asking?
The secret was the damn gyro. Was under my nose all along. Just had the gyro turned too high. Put it down to 1/4 or less from zero and it works perfectly. Can even mash the brakes and everything. From 67mph to zero in about 15feet.

The secret was the damn gyro. Was under my nose all along. Just had the gyro turned too high. Put it down to 1/4 or less from zero and it works perfectly. Can even mash the brakes and everything. From 67mph to zero in about 15feet.
Yeah, having your gain cranked way up will make the car go all sorts of wonky. 15-30% depending on what you're doing and how fast you're driving works well for me.

Why can't I see this vid or the other one on the last page? It's blank

Why can't I see this vid or the other one on the last page? It's blank
Saw it now.for some reason couldn't on the other page.. awesome work .well done .maybey some day I may self might attempt to do this also .

Anything specific you would like to see? Iā€™d be happy to make one before it gets all torn apart again.
We would all like to see a great speed run video and at the end your umbrella ā˜” saves the dayšŸ˜
Maybe a bit of base jumping would be nice. ... but much higher.
Thank you for the vid .that was cool to watch šŸ˜šŸ¤Ÿ

Last edited:
We would all like to see a great speed run video and at the end your umbrella ā˜” saves the dayšŸ˜

Thank you for the vid .that was cool to watch šŸ˜šŸ¤Ÿ
Iā€™m down but the car only does 70, Iā€™m gonna castle swap it so I can get it fast and test my chute some more. I think the ramp might be fun but I donā€™t think itā€™ll slow it enough to land but Iā€™ll send it.
Maybe a bit of base jumping would be nice. ... but much higher.
I only have a little ramp and it tops out at 70 till I do that castle swap. But Iā€™ll send it.
Iā€™m down but the car only does 70, Iā€™m gonna castle swap it so I can get it fast and test my chute some more. I think the ramp might be fun but I donā€™t think itā€™ll slow it enough to land but Iā€™ll send it.

I only have a little ramp and it tops out at 70 till I do that castle swap. But Iā€™ll send it.
Iā€™m fairly certain as soon as the chute opens itā€™s gonna nosedive.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back