Helping hospital workers and raw ears

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LibertyMKiii

Aerodynamics speed junkie
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Mojave
  3. Typhon 6s
Passing along an idea (not mine)
The local nurses and doctors have their masks on for full shifts now compared to short durations before covid-19. Some mask designs use elastic and loop over their ears. By the end of shift their ears are raw. This is a simple thing that my local hospitals have been absolutely loving!

Screenshot_20200406-134346.jpg

It is an easy print and the low filament usage means that you can help more people!

My first batch of 5:
20200406_134443.jpg

You can find the stl file at thingiverse 4249113

My CR-10s Pro will fit 9 at a time on the bed. Tons of local Dallas hospitals are asking for them and my printer is running 24/7 to help!

The local nurses and doctors have their masks on for full shifts now compared to short durations before covid-19. Some mask designs use elastic and loop over their ears. By the end of shift their ears are raw. This is a simple thing that my local hospitals have been absolutely loving!

View attachment 73514

It is an easy print and the low filament usage means that you can help more people!

My first batch of 5:
View attachment 73515

You can find the stl file at thingiverse 4249113
That is awesome, you rock.

I had an issue with adhesion last night. Realized I forgot to use hairspray on the bed. Running another set now. Only 5 survived the first print. ??‍♂️
Hey but you tried and that is well better than most.

Hey but you tried and that is well better than most.
I’ve got another run going now and will finish off as many remnant spoils as I have laying around.

Fun fact I’m a nurse who works at a hospital. I just saw these the other night. I have a larger head though, it looks like these would pull the mask very tight against my face. Do they have prints that extend closer to the ears ?

Fun fact I’m a nurse who works at a hospital. I just saw these the other night. I have a larger head though, it looks like these would pull the mask very tight against my face. Do they have prints that extend closer to the ears ?

The file can definitely be modified by a skilled modeler. I tried one on and I say give the original a try since there are multiple latches.

Yes the band size could be easily scaled up to whatever size you need. Simple to do.

Let me know if you cannot come up with a solution. I could re-design this part and ship to you. (Ideally get me a measurement of total length you would want across the back of your head to put it close to your ears)

I suspect the closest tabs to the center are a waste of filament. It seems most people will utilize the first 2 loops.

I have distributed the first 19 parts today to Parkland Dallas and Presby Allen. Word of mouth on these is crazy!!! One person on FB donated several spools of PLA in many colors. I heard a story today of a nurse that was born without cartridge in her right ear, this will be a game changer for her!

So happy I can help others in this little way! :love:

I wouldn't print these in pla or any hard filament. TPU (or ninjaflex) is proving to be very effective and comfortable so far :)
Actually PLA works great, I can bend real close to 90 degrees before there is any issue. I hope no ones head is shaped like that ;)

I’m using carbon PLA that I dislike and have a bunch of remnants of on hand. Rather not use up my PETG that I have plans for, but will if I run out of PLA.

My son in law just did his first shift in the covid unit the other night. Dropping off the first 12 I made to him today for him and his coworkers. Going to keep them printing until they say stop or I run out of filament. ??‍♂️??

Let me know if you cannot come up with a solution. I could re-design this part and ship to you. (Ideally get me a measurement of total length you would want across the back of your head to put it close to your ears)

I suspect the closest tabs to the center are a waste of filament. It seems most people will utilize the first 2 loops.

I have distributed the first 19 parts today to Parkland Dallas and Presby Allen. Word of mouth on these is crazy!!! One person on FB donated several spools of PLA in many colors. I heard a story today of a nurse that was born without cartridge in her right ear, this will be a game changer for her!

So happy I can help others in this little way! :love:

Do you have an idea of what the current length is?

Do you have an idea of what the current length is?

Current length comes out to 162mm plus a bit.

head_strap_ss1.jpg

I modified the original to accommodate a person who had a slightly bigger head shape. I extended the entire strap 20mm total (10mm per side) and added more area to the "headrest" part. The total thickness of the entire strap has been increased from 1mm to 2mm just because. Print time increased obviously.

head_strap_ss2.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back