Hobbywing MAX 4. 12S ESC!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
300A @ 12S = 15kW
300A @ 8S = 10kW (6.7kW on the max5)

Hobbywing Motor limit at highest Kv usually means it's rpm limited:
600kv x 50.4v = 30k rpm

Other than it's huge size, it's putting in some serious weight @ 775.4g
If it's going inside one of those huge 1/5 trucks like the Losi one, I guess it doesn't really matter. At least I think. Those trucks are not really for huge jumps.

If it's going inside one of those huge 1/5 trucks like the Losi one, I guess it doesn't really matter. At least I think. Those trucks are not really for huge jumps.
True plenty of space in a 1/5. It would fit nicely in my FG. And yeah even with a max5 and 2x 4S big packs it's already to heavy to make big jumps.

I was also considering if this esc would be a speedrun option. 12S@300A means less stress on the batteries with a nice 15kW output.
In a 1/7 scale size (including extra battery) wouldnt be the problem, weight some... With low kv / high gearing the rpm limit could be doable too.
Ripple and no logging would be the downside...

A have a couple of big 40lb gassers that will love this system, especially my 5T with that tired old XL2 system in it. That Rovan XLT450 might be a perfect fit for this thing. It's definitely not going in any Arrma. The gears & drivetrain are way too small. My Rovan F5 is already a serious nut with a max5 system. I might have to buy a planetary orbit if I drop this in it.

As for the XLT450, when I look at it, all I see is a upgraded 5T. I'm kind of surprised they didn't go with the aluminum bulkheads since the plastic literally self-destructs. Another sweet thing is that they have conversion kits too. Might be the way to go considering I have nearly 3K in parts in my 1st K8S making it look like this thing.

19.jpg

Last edited:
A have a couple of big 40lb gassers that will love this system, especially my 5T with that tired old XL2 system in it. That Rovan XLT450 might be a perfect fit for this thing. It's definitely not going in any Arrma. The gears & drivetrain are way too small. My Rovan F5 is already a serious nut with a max5 system. I might have to buy a planetary orbit if I drop this in it.

As for the XLT450, when I look at it, all I see is a upgraded 5T. I'm kind of surprised they didn't go with the aluminum bulkheads since the plastic literally self-destructs. Another sweet thing is that they have conversion kits too. Might be the way to go considering I have nearly 3K in parts in my 1st K8S making it look like this thing.

View attachment 213843
These beasts make my Outcast 8s, EXB Kraton 8s and Xmaxx look like little RC vehicles 🤣👍

Dang there is something like 4 of these threads already.
I put my comments in another thread.... I think the XLX2 will still output more total power in the end and running 12 = very heavy.

Just my 2 cents.
The XLX2 is perfect for speedruns & Castle specifically recommends it for them, that being a ton of output in a short amount of time. Almost all of the cases of it burning up have be in bashers. That being the case, I wouldn't use HW in speedruns. They can easily be overloaded by high-geared motors. Even overgearing the 1/5 Arrmas for bashing is a really bad move. I mostly use HW in bashers. The max4 system itself is only for huge trucks. It won't even fit in any Arrma. Mix & matching the ESC with a 800kv castle might be a play, if you want to smoke it just like the ZTW300. It is crazy that it costs twice as much as a max5. The ZTW300 holds it own as long as it stays with the low kv 70120 motor. Every case I seen with it paired with a castle 800kv has ended in smoke.

The XLX2 is perfect for speedruns & Castle specifically recommends it for them, that being a ton of output in a short amount of time. Almost all of the cases of it burning up have be in bashers. That being the case, I wouldn't use HW in speedruns. They can easily be overloaded by high-geared motors. Even overgearing the 1/5 Arrmas for bashing is a really bad move. I mostly use HW in bashers. The max4 system itself is only for huge trucks. It won't even fit in any Arrma. Mix & matching the ESC with a 800kv castle might be a play, if you want to smoke it just like the ZTW300. It is crazy that it costs twice as much as a max5. The ZTW300 holds it own as long as it stays with the low kv 70120 motor. Every case I seen with it paired with a castle 800kv has ended in smoke.
HW ESCs choke due to the amperage limiting built in which is a feature that makes them so long lasting and reliable. This is the primary reason they have never done well in speed runs scenarios. Wattage = amps * volts. Increasing the volts lowers the need for high amps but regardless that scenario of amperage loads is going to occur in speed runs at some point around 130+ mph

HW = basher
Castle = speed run

Same here on ZTW, I have not seen any 12s esc work well with KVs over 700.
With the torque from a high voltage 1/4 or 1/5 scale motor setup you really do not need higher KVs.

HW ESCs choke due to the amperage limiting built in which is a feature that makes them so long lasting and reliable. This is the primary reason they have never done well in speed runs scenarios. Wattage = amps * volts. Increasing the volts lowers the need for high amps but regardless that scenario of amperage loads is going to occur in speed runs at some point around 130+ mph

HW = basher
Castle = speed run

With the torque from a high voltage 1/4 or 1/5 scale motor setup you really do not need higher KVs.
I totally agree with you. My XLX2 on both my Outcast 8s and EXB K8S have not held up well. But I'll be honest and say that they did take a lot of abuse. But my Max 5 has taken twice the abuse with no issues. For speed runs = Castle. For bashing = HW. That's exactly what I said previously in another way thread.
Dang there is something like 4 of these threads already.
I put my comments in another thread.... I think the XLX2 will still output more total power in the end and running 12 = very heavy.

Just my 2 cents.
There shouldn't be any other threads after this one started about the Max 4 TBH. No need to have multiple threads about the same thing. Usually the moderators just move the other threads here.

I totally agree with you. My XLX2 on both my Outcast 8s and EXB K8S have not held up well. But I'll be honest and say that they did take a lot of abuse. But my Max 5 has taken twice the abuse with no issues. For speed runs = Castle. For bashing = HW. That's exactly what I said previously in another way thread.
Thanks for the input. I was on the fence on whether to get XLX2 or Max5 for a Kraton 1/5 EXB. I think I will go the Max5 route as I won't be doing any speed runs.

What power connectors did you use with the Max5? EC5, EC8 or something else?

Thanks for the input. I was on the fence on whether to get XLX2 or Max5 for a Kraton 1/5 EXB. I think I will go the Max5 route as I won't be doing any speed runs.

What power connectors did you use with the Max5? EC5, EC8 or something else?
QS8 anti spark. They have been working great for me. 👍

I'm really hoping this ESC has some grunt, I've been kinda waiting for a decent alternative to my MGM so I can swap the MGM into a MCD XR5.
Mildly concerned about the motor mount spacing though, hopefully it's either the same or not too different.

My MGM ESC handles 12S @ 800kV (Castle 2028) no problem, the problem is trying to mount the damn thing, they really put no effort into making a reliable way to mount it.
Honestly with the torque of high voltage systems being as it is, the ESC is the least of your concerns, I basically had to abandon the Baja platform because I not only broke teeth in the gearbox, I managed to crack the gear itself.

Lesson learned there, 4WD to distribute the power is the way to go.
1651015747630.png

1651015760188.png

1651015768404.png

I saw an ESC unboxing today on the YouTubes….this thing in humongous. It would be an almost impossible fit in a DBXL and forget about putting it in a 5th scale Arrma rig.

300amp constant and 2000amp burst but it’s the size of one that looks like it should be 1000amp constant. That thing isn’t fitting on much lol

Couldn't you just mount it on its side

Couldn't you just mount it on its side
In what rig? If you’re talking about an Arrma, that’s zipties, pixie dust, and happy thoughts to hold it down….and that would last for about a minute before it all comes crashing down. I do think it will fit in the dbxl, 5T, 5B, Rovan, etc, but serious, serious, serious ESC plate mods would be in order.

I wanna put it in my Talion but real estate is at a premium under the body.🤣

In what rig? If you’re talking about an Arrma, that’s zipties, pixie dust, and happy thoughts to hold it down….and that would last for about a minute before it all comes crashing down. I do think it will fit in the dbxl, 5T, 5B, Rovan, etc, but serious, serious, serious ESC plate mods would be in order.

I wanna put it in my Talion but real estate is at a premium under the body.🤣
haha Yea I was thinking k8s. I actually use double sided tape and zip ties on all my basher esc and I've never had a problem. K8s is a lot heavier though so I dunno.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back