How to shim your Arrma diff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are your current stock ones broke? I would not replace the whole diff case unless needed. Just open up the current ones, check mesh replace shims, if needed, clean out old fluid and refill. Reinstall and go.

Pls don't laugh at me...
I have not even got it yet.. my first car ever.
Its on its way from US.. should arrive next week..
As far as ive seen on the internet- Arrma cars arrived with no diff oil.. loosen bolts..ect.

So i thought to run a checklist... and to shim the diff on the way..

Ok.. but i couldnt find any m2c parts for Mojave besides chassis bracers and a chassis.. nothing on their website..
Any other recommendations?
Thx..

Just because those parts aren't available yet doesn't mean they won't be in the future. They may come out with a mount that you want then you'll have to buy a new diff as well. But give it a try, you may have better luck with it than I did.

Hey guys,

Is there a need to shim the 2020 version of the Kraton 6s?
Not internally. You still want to check the mesh in the ring and pinion and shim the ring gear side of the the diff cup if needed. You don’t want any side to side play when the diff is seated inside the diff case.

Not internally. You still want to check the mesh in the ring and pinion and shim the ring gear side of the the diff cup if needed. You don’t want any side to side play when the diff is seated inside the diff case.

Thanks! I didn't have to do much in the way of diffs when I hopped up my Slash so I don't know much about them. I'll watch the video on the sticky to see exactly what to look for and do.

Thanks! I didn't have to do much in the way of diffs when I hopped up my Slash so I don't know much about them. I'll watch the video on the sticky to see exactly what to look for and do.
Same here. I’ve only had to worry about it in the last year or so myself. Plenty of others here have paved the way.

Same here. I’ve only had to worry about it in the last year or so myself. Plenty of others here have paved the way.

Compared to my hopped up Slash tho.... this thing is an absolute beast! I guess I should look into shimming it before ripping it too much eh?

Compared to my hopped up Slash tho.... this thing is an absolute beast! I guess I should look into shimming it before ripping it too much eh?
You could simply pop off the diff cover and test it by hand real quick. That’s a 5 min job and super easy. Might save you time and money before ripping up a ring and pinion.

You could simply pop off the diff cover and test it by hand real quick. That’s a 5 min job and super easy. Might save you time and money before ripping up a ring and pinion.

Is popping off the cover and testing it shown on the videos in the sticky? Sounds like a great idea! Much appreciated!

Is popping off the cover and testing it shown on the videos in the sticky? Sounds like a great idea! Much appreciated!
Not sure as I’m not at a place where I can check a video at the moment. It is pretty easy though. You need to remove the sway bar links, either remove the screw in the arm or pop off the ball, then there are four screws holding the cover on. The cover takes a bit of effort to pop on and off. You will need to man handle it. Don’t be shy.

Not sure as I’m not at a place where I can check a video at the moment. It is pretty easy though. You need to remove the sway bar links, either remove the screw in the arm or pop off the ball, then there are four screws holding the cover on. The cover takes a bit of effort to pop on and off. You will need to man handle it. Don’t be shy.

Excellent! thanks again!

Hey guys,

Is there a need to shim the 2020 version of the Kraton 6s?
I've yet to shim the inside of a V4 diff. They come pretty tight right from the factory.

I'm the outside there should be a large shim on the left side outdrive (looking at the diff head on). Usually that is enough but you can try to fit another one if those on so there are two. In my experience it's hard to do and I always end up bending the crap out of that second shim.

Just a final note. Even if the diff is shimmed to perfection, you can still break it by landing a jump under power/brake, doing repeated standing blackflilps or blowing donuts for extended periods of time. The diffs are pretty stout but they can only take so much abuse ???

Is there any link for the shins needed for the 2020 Kraton 6s? I already ordered the Mugen E0206 but I’m still a little confused on what’s needed for the latest version ( bought mine 2weeks agi brand new) and where they go. Also most of the links provided in previous posts don’t work anymore. Thanks I’m advance.

Is there any link for the shins needed for the 2020 Kraton 6s? I already ordered the Mugen E0206 but I’m still a little confused on what’s needed for the latest version ( bought mine 2weeks agi brand new) and where they go. Also most of the links provided in previous posts don’t work anymore. Thanks I’m advance.

This. I have a Notorious 6S and an EXB. Would love to find a Canadian source (Ontario) for shims and have a stock of different sizes/thicknesses for my Arrmas and other stuff too. I know the EXB rear diff has need of a specific sized shim. It would be great to get a little table of all of the different sized shims I could need and what thicknesses. I suppose if I had that I could find a local machine shop or supplier to make me what I need. I'm fine with spending a chunk of $ now to get a good variety that will last me a while.

This. I have a Notorious 6S and an EXB. Would love to find a Canadian source (Ontario) for shims and have a stock of different sizes/thicknesses for my Arrmas and other stuff too. I know the EXB rear diff has need of a specific sized shim. It would be great to get a little table of all of the different sized shims I could need and what thicknesses. I suppose if I had that I could find a local machine shop or supplier to make me what I need. I'm fine with spending a chunk of $ now to get a good variety that will last me a while.
Try http://www.rcdepot.ca/. They're not located in Ontario, but they were willing to mail them to me in Ontario (for no added cost)

I have a question about the shimming outside the bearing on the ring gear side.

I cleaned everything so that there is no grease anymore in the diff case. I just noticed that my stock V4 is binding a little at one point in the full revolution of the diff (zero gear lash at this point) with the stock ring gear shim installed. Should I absolutely avoid this?

I have Tekno shims that are looking a little thinner at home. Should I replace the stock shim with a thinner one in order to have absolutely zero binding for the ring gear? I am thinking it is probably better to have everything smooth and some gear lash over the whole ring gear, but I wouldn’t want to get too much lash elsewhere.

Any recommendation about this? Thanks!

I know I posted this in another thread but after reading different threads/youtube vids, I think this would be a good place for everyone to see this question and answer.

Do you treat all 3 diffs the same?
Yes.
Except for the oil weights. Different for each position they are placed.

I have a question about the shimming outside the bearing on the ring gear side.

I cleaned everything so that there is no grease anymore in the diff case. I just noticed that my stock V4 is binding a little at one point in the full revolution of the diff (zero gear lash at this point) with the stock ring gear shim installed. Should I absolutely avoid this?

I have Tekno shims that are looking a little thinner at home. Should I replace the stock shim with a thinner one in order to have absolutely zero binding for the ring gear? I am thinking it is probably better to have everything smooth and some gear lash over the whole ring gear, but I wouldn’t want to get too much lash elsewhere.

Any recommendation about this? Thanks!
I'm curious to hear what others have to say, but I've experienced this too, and my theory is that it's caused by flared cross pin holes in the outdrives. I've tried (semi-successfully) to 'turn' them down with some emery cloth by spinning them in a drill, but I may need to get more aggressive in my abrasive of choice.

Thinking I may invest in M2C outdrives because the stock ones just seem too soft.

Morning,
@bicketybam @slick2500 @WoodiE & @Rich Duperbash - I know this is an old thread but quick question, will these #Kyosho 13x16x0.15mm Differential Shims fit on my Diffs for my ARRMA v4 Notorious and v3 KRATON?

1609243708995.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back