I’m going to let the universe decide.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyway, don't go bum a smoke from a bum, you're going to lose the time you've accrued so far.
You think just one will eliminate a month of progress?
Could I go out and get really *ucked up one night on a few Vodkas and NEVER drink again, sure. My loss would be the time I've had away for it, and I'll never lose that. It's like GOLF. You are only playing against yourself.

I didn't even have a sip of Champaign with my wife at our wedding.

You don't want dat smoke dude.
Ok. Thanks. I really appreciate this response, especially after I was being so snarky earlier. Sincerely, thank you.
I might not try to bum a smoke from a bum now. But dammit, I might…. You have me so conflicted now. And I’ve convinced myself that the act of bumming a smoke from a panhandler is just a beautifully elegant bit of social commentary and that I should totally go do that.
So here’s the deal…. I’m going out to give it a shot. One shot, at the McDonalds drive through. There are people at the end of the property at the end of the lot trying to get cash as you wait for traffic. I won’t go looking anywhere else, I just want to get my dog Mila a four-piece chicken McNuggets. If it works, I’ll get one single cigarette. If it goes south, it could conceivably turn ugly. I’m a stubborn peepee-head who doesn’t typically subscribe to common sense or conventional wisdom until it rears its ugly head and bites me in the ass.
The best case scenario is my dog gets four mechanically separated and shaped chicken nuggets (with no sauce on the side) and I’ll get a single cigarette.
And like I said earlier, film at 11:00. 👍

That's not how chemical dependency works.... That's then equivalent of telling a sad person to just be happy. The fact that it has such a short half life is why its so addicting. And the changes it makes to your brain chemistry and hormones don't just go away when the drug leaves your bloodstream. While you can mentally over come the withdrawal symptoms, they absolutely persist +2 weeks in the average nicotine addict post cessation.
This.
Man, since you have some time as your recovering from the knees. get the Alan Carr e-book and listen to it; The Easy Way to Quit Smoking, iirc.
I used to listen to e-books quite a bit on my daily commute to NYC, helped me deal with the traffic. I didn't have any 'problems' but bought the Easy Way to Stop Drinking coming out of Covid. I was never a huge drinker, but did drink more often than I ever had and found it interesting to listen to. I can see how the practicality of the message resonates with people, and I did quickly cut back. Now I rarely drink, and when I do want to have some fun I find it more fulfilling to snap off 5mg of sativa leaving the next day woes of alcohol behind.. 😁 😉

The best case scenario is my dog gets four mechanically separated and shaped chicken nuggets (with no sauce on the side) and I’ll get a single cigarette.

Sir,
I hate to break it to ya..
But that's Not chicken..
It's actually made up of "other" rejected bits of rendered parts that's then pressure molded into a nugget shape.

You think just one will eliminate a month of progress?

Ok. Thanks. I really appreciate this response, especially after I was being so snarky earlier. Sincerely, thank you.
I might not try to bum a smoke from a bum now. But dammit, I might…. You have me so conflicted now. And I’ve convinced myself that the act of bumming a smoke from a panhandler is just a beautifully elegant bit of social commentary and that I should totally go do that.
So here’s the deal…. I’m going out to give it a shot. One shot, at the McDonalds drive through. There are people at the end of the property at the end of the lot trying to get cash as you wait for traffic. I won’t go looking anywhere else, I just want to get my dog Mila a four-piece chicken McNuggets. If it works, I’ll get one single cigarette. If it goes south, it could conceivably turn ugly. I’m a stubborn peepee-head who doesn’t typically subscribe to common sense or conventional wisdom until it rears its ugly head and bites me in the ass.

Grab that smoke from that bum, take it home and grind it into the street with your shoe. Thats how you'll know you got balls that CLANK! (y)

This.
Man, since you have some time as your recovering from the knees. get the Alan Carr e-book and listen to it; The Easy Way to Quit Smoking, iirc.
I used to listen to e-books quite a bit on my daily commute to NYC, helped me deal with the traffic. I didn't have any 'problems' but bought the Easy Way to Stop Drinking coming out of Covid. I was never a huge drinker, but did drink more often than I ever had and found it interesting to listen to. I can see how the practicality of the message resonates with people, and I did quickly cut back. Now I rarely drink, and when I do want to have some fun I find it more fulfilling to snap off 5mg of sativa leaving the next day woes of alcohol behind.. 😁 😉

I was never a gummie guy till around the beginning of RONA. I mean, I used to grab a weed cracker from a buddy every now and again, now it's more frequent. That's why I'm happier than most now. :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, don't go bum a smoke from a bum, you're going to lose the time you've accrued so far.

Could I go out and get really *ucked up one night on a few Vodkas and NEVER drink again, sure. My loss would be the time I've had away from it, and I'll never lose that. It's like GOLF. You are only playing against yourself.

I didn't even have a sip of Champaign with my wife at our wedding.

You don't want dat smoke dude.
Yup. I quit drinking before I quit smoking. 2005.

Yup. I quit drinking before I quit smoking. 2005.
Now that drinktime, I mean springtime is upon us, I suppose I'll have me a cold one or 12 soon.. I go months without a drink, really only drink while hanging with friends, which is once every couple months. Wife and I say let's have some beers..usually get one or two down before one of us falls asleep, LOL.

It's OK to have one. Quitting ciggs is super effin' hard, but I've read numerous times that it's OK to have one and not consider it a total loss. You just start again with quitting after that ONE cigg. Don't beat yourself up if you have one. Quitting is a process.

If you have the will power though, don't. Stay strong. Keep busy. Anything to get you to the next day.

Universe here - Uhhhhhh, yeah...drop the beats.

I'm outta' here. Time to attract all the ladies with these. Butthead voice - I'm a winner. Come on...be like me. Win. I'm like that little b*st*rd in Robocop 2, telling Duffy he knows he needs some Nuke.
20240510_163046.jpg

The universe says "come on, be at one with me. Join me, I'm full of background radiation, as is a cigarette from the polonium in pesticides. It's just like being an astronaut in outer space. Muahahahaha! Let go. Universe - Give in to your urges, for I will destroy you anyway. I am inevitable.

20240510_171432.jpg

Well, I said I was going to let the universe decide. I just got home. The universe did indeed decide, and it turns out that I’m an a$$hole. Not that that particular outcome will surprise any of you…
I passed McDonalds (with the bum stationed at the exit) because I saw that the drive through line was almost out to the street. I went to the grocery store a block later and saw another bum at the exit of the parking lot panhandling. I’m like…Ok, it’s on.
I busted a u turn in the lot and stopped for the red light at the signal where the bum was parked at the exit. As I approached the exit to the lot, I rolled down the window and said, “hey man, sorry to bother you but could you spare a smoke?” Then I noticed that this particular panhandler was in a wheelchair and had only one leg. Then I noticed his eyes were clear and he looked really healthy (beyond having only one leg and all) and was clearly not an addict.
He immediately said, “yeah, sure. Here you go.” He gave me a cigarette. I had six dollars in my pocket and gave it to him for his generosity.
So I’m officially sorry to the universe at large for being such a lucky, entitled douchebag who thought it would be funny to bum a smoke from a bum…
Putting out good vibes in the universe for that guy.

Last edited:
Don't do it.... I just had one for ya!!!!...
And don't get beat up by a bum...Mike
You ever he
So I mentioned that I quit smoking around a month ago, but holy living crap, the draw is still strong. And I’ll admit, although many of you regard me as some sort of god around here (😂😂😂) I’m only human. I want a cigarette so badly! I know if I buy a pack all bets will be off and I’d no longer be a nonsmoker. I’m thinking I should just have one. But I don’t have any, and none of my friends (you higher-than-thou, superlative self avowed chosen progressive bastards) smoke. So what I’m thinking is that I should be embracing a sentiment that I’ve groused about lately in My Daily Rant regarding all of the panhandlers with cardboard signs asking for donations on every available street corner in my broader geographic area.
I’m going to go out and try to bum a cigarette off a bum.
I’m going to roll up in my freshly washed Mercedes to the skankiest bums I can find, male or female, and slide down the window. When they approach expecting a handout I’m gonna say, “yo, can you spare a smoke?”
Hell yeah. I’m really proud of myself for coming up with this, and it’s easy to see why I’m a Legend in My Own Eyes.
Film at 11:00.
good luck

Last edited:
Well, I said I was going to let the universe decide. I just got home. The universe did indeed decide, and it turns out that I’m an a$$hole. Not that that particular outcome will surprise any of you…
I passed McDonalds (with the bum stationed at the exit) because I saw that the drive through line was almost out to the street. I went to the grocery store a block later and saw another bum at the exit of the parking lot panhandling. I’m like…Ok, it’s on.
I busted a u turn in the lot and stopped for the red light at the signal where the bum was parked at the exit. As I approached the exit to the lot, I rolled down the window and said, “hey man, sorry to bother you but could you spare a smoke?” Then I noticed that this particular panhandler was in a wheelchair and had only one leg. Then I noticed his eyes were clear and he looked really healthy (beyond having only one leg and all) and was clearly not an addict.
He immediately said, “yeah, sure. Here you go.” He gave me a cigarette. I had six dollars in my pocket and gave it to him for his generosity.
So I’m officially aorry to the universe at large for being such a lucky, entitled douchebag who thought it would be funny to bum a smoke from a bum…
Universe says it'll pass, like all things; including the urge. Don't beat yourself up. You actually did good. You did that instead of buying a pack. Look at this cigarette as a little bit of mercy. A break. Just don't let it control you. You aren't your cigarette urge. Don't identify with attachments. You're beyond all phenomena. The body and mind is a temporary pain in the @$$, but you are eternal, my friend. You have strength. I believe in you.

You ever he

You are a legend, for all those who want or need to quit. Theres a song that sticks in my brain. It's from the 80's. Relax don't do it, when you want to get to it. I helped me quit drinking, bout 15 years ago. Smoking is like walking around in an old pair of worn out shoes. Sure you can walk in em, but its gonna hurt. Maybe you need a new pair of shoes? 🤷‍♂️ . :cool:.
I trying to process the shoe metaphor, but thank you for your vote of confidence. 👍

So I’m officially sorry to the universe at large for being such a lucky, entitled douchebag who thought it would be funny to bum a smoke from a bum…
I’m proud of you, Dan. For having actual emotion. :p

So the main question, did you smoke it?

Universe says it'll pass, like all things; including the urge. Don't beat yourself up. You actually did good. You did that instead of buying a pack. Look at this cigarette as a little bit of mercy. A break. Just don't let it control you. You aren't your cigarette urge. Don't identify with attachments. You're beyond all phenomena. The body and mind is a temporary pain in the @$$, but you are eternal, my friend. You have strength. I believe in you.
Jesus Harold Christ, man. I think you overestimate me… And seriously, are you like the Dalai Lama or something, going incognito here on the AF? Shouldn’t you be at a backyard barbecue with Richard Gere or something right now?

I’m proud of you, Dan. For having actual emotion. :p
Screw you, man, I’m an emotional motherf’cker, motherf’cker.
So the main question, did you smoke it?
Hell yeah I smoked it, you think I’m going to screw with a legless bastard in a wheelchair to not enjoy that sh’t?

Jesus Harold Christ, man. I think you overestimate me… And seriously, are you like the Dalai Lama or something, going incognito here on the AF? Shouldn’t you be at a backyard barbecue with Richard Gere or something right now?

Screw you, man, I’m an emotional motherf’cker, motherf’cker.

Hell yeah I smoked it, you think I’m going to screw with a legless bastard in a wheelchair to not enjoy that sh’t?
How do you feel about it? Regret? Happy? Indifferent?

Dan the emotional man with zero self control.

Shame on you.

😂

How do you feel about it? Regret? Happy? Indifferent?

Dan the emotional man with zero self control.

Shame on you.

😂
Dude, I totally can’t argue with that assessment. I’m feeling the shame. But I still wish I would have asked if he could spare two cigarettes. That would have still been worth six bucks, right?
Would you have a better opinion of me if I told you that I cried when I smoked it?

😆 Why, what's Richard Gere into? Sure. I'm the Dalai Lama. I'm everyone and no one. Why can't I overestimate you? I'm free to do that, aren't I? If you're strong enough to have gone this long without one, then you've UNDERestimated yourself, dude. You didn't have to share all this here, but you did. Ask yourself why you shared that. I actually do believe you could kick smoking in the @$$. You have plenty enough distractions in your life to leave it behind. That's all life is....a distraction. You have a life. I'd say you have quite decent life, actually. Out of all kinds of lives, you have everything and everyone you need, including even support from a forum. You can.

Dude, I totally can’t argue with that assessment. I’m feeling the shame. But I still wish I would have asked if he could spare two cigarettes. That would have still been worth six bucks, right?
Would you have a better opinion of me if I told you that I cried when I smoked it?
I’ll just leave that right there for ya.

1715378194659.gif

The mind fuk you have to deal with now isn’t worth a few drags on a cancer stick bruh.

I kinda like ya, just need to heed the majority in your own thread! Maybe next time👍🏻😂

Dan, while I cannot comment on your quest to stop smoking because I never smoked and therefore just can't thoroughly understand, I do applaud you for by passing McDonald's! That's real courage. I always LOVED McDonald's but there food is not the same as it once was. I find there fry's disgusting ( use to be my favorite ) even the burgers suck now. Don't even get me started on their prices! I can get a better steak dinner for what they charge. I personally have vowed NEVER to eat at McDonald's again. Sorry I'm off topic on the smoking but you showed real courage today! Just say no to the evil clown Ronald!

Last edited:
Back