Jerry-rigged Builds a Racecar. (LD2ss)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry-rigged

Have you seen my LVC?
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Outcast 6s
So I tend to wax poetic about the time I spent racing years ago, and go on and on about how I love 2wd buggies, and how great my old XX-CR was... (Ok maybe that is an exaggeration, but it makes a good into... :) )

So a new indoor carpet 1/10 track opened near my office. My old RC buddy talked me into taking my old buggy for a practice day, and I was hooked again. Years ago, when I was in jr high, I lusted bad for a Top Cat, but it was high dollar for a kid with only lawn mowing money. Local track supports Schu, so I had them put my name on a Cougar LD2 Super Stock while I sold a few of my bashers. Picked up the kit a few days ago, so Build Thread Time! This is my first new race grade kit in +20 years, so I am very excited for the build. Also picked up a new Noble NB4. Have used it for one race day in my old buggy, and so far I like it.

Car will be built with the 21.5 spec class in mind. Rules are HW 21.5 motor HW Juststock ESC, spec tires, and spec gearing. I did a farewell race with my XX-CR, old car, very rusty driving, my "good" laps were in the 16s range, with a 15.2 hot lap, while the A main guy were consistent in the 13s range... So I got a long way to go. :)

Step one down - also the only option part I bought right away. Brass front bulkhead. The kit plastic bulkhead is apparently a weak point, plus the Super Stock is underweight compared to the other brands buggies, so Brass it is. Schu offers and aluminum version too, but with the small carpet track, the extra weight up front should help the car corner.

20220530_185915.jpg

and finished with "A" Bag -
20220531_123958.jpg

Only issue so far is the two servos I was considering using, neither would fit. Space above the top of the servo is VERY tight, so my cheap amazon basher servo would not fit (too tall), and the way front brace behind the servo is made, my low-profile drifter servo would not fit either. Started going thru all my runner RC's looking for a suitable servo to swap, and found a good donor in my SCT410 - it had a Reedy XR DS1015 - older servo, but the gears feel tight, and it makes 201oz" & 0.11s speed, @ 6v so it should work. The Tekno got the Amazon 35kg servo, it will probably like the extra power, and won't feel the extra weight.

Looking forward to the build, and to racing again!

At my track the 21.5 uses spec tires, in this case, Jconcepts Twin Pin in the rear, Swaggers up front, Pink compound for both.

And the build is mostly done. Still need to clean up the wiring. With the servo, RX, ESC, switch, and Transponder all crammed into about 2 square inches, I am not sure how I will keep the wiring neat, need to think on it a bit. Also, need to resolder the motor/battery leads on the ESC - waiting to get my batteries so I can cut the leads to length. Then, also paint the body. First race is planned for the 11th, so still have a bit of time.

20220603_072357.jpg

Old and the new -

20220603_072333.jpg

Tool MVP may gave been the lowly office staple puller. Dang, that was a lot of tiny baggies... LOL

Attachments

• 20220603_074154.jpg
    20220603_074154.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Finally got the new car to the track for a race day. :cool: Also had my two sons with me (one racing with his RC10WE re-re) and my old racing buddy with his LD2ss.

My son is pretty good with his Kraton and can get it around a 1/8 track pretty good, but this 2wd buggy on a tight carpet track was kicking his butt. But, he did a good job of keeping his cool, and running about 1/3-1/2 throttle around the track, even on the main straight. I think the only time I saw him juice it was for the cross-over jump... so yeah, he was having fun, but still pulling up last every race.

My buddy and I got spilt between the two 21.5 heats for the qualifying rounds. I was kind of disappointed we didn't get the do much head-to-head racing, but oh well. We did get to race together in the mains. One other person to mention, I'll call him the Yellow Car Guy (YTG). He was in my heat and was consistently in front of me by about a lap. Seemed every qual, I would make mistakes on the first 1-2 laps that would put him a lap up, and then I could never catch him.

In the Mains, we were in a 4-car B-main, YCG, my buddy, who qualified less than 2 seconds in front of me, me, then my son. At the start, we made a very gentlemanly start tip-toeing thru the first few corners, then promptly had a 3 car pile up. LOL Very B-main, right? Actually, we had about 3 pileups on the first two laps, but then I got a break - I landed on my wheels, and was gone, while the buddy and YTG had to wait on a marshal. For the next 4 minutes, I ran my best race of the day... Too bad it was a 7-minute race... LOL, I started to catch YCG to lap him, but when I got to within a corner of him, my brain started going "I'm gonna lap YCG - He has been a lap ahead of me all day, OMGOMGOMG!", the Adrenalin hit, and it was basically over... I suddenly could not hit the corners, cased the crossover several times, crashed the wall-ride, it was sad. YCG actually lapped me in those last few minutes, and I thought my buddy did too. The Announcer called "10 sseconds" as my buddy and I crossed the line, but I had already checked out... I cased the crossover one more time, and he beat me to the line by a few seconds. After the race, realized we were on the same lap, and he took second by 3.8s... Dangit! LOL

My son that was not racing got introduced to Mini-Z's -This shop has a carpet off-road track and a mini-Z track. I rented him a Mini-z for the day, and he had a lot of fun running it around - by the end of the day, he was getting around the track pretty good. There were also a few Mini-Z guys there for a practice day, so he has some people to drive with.

Overall, was a great day. Can't wait to do it again!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back