Kraton 8s MOTOR/ESC Upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton 6s
Debating this motor and esc upgrade

MOTOR:
4-POLE SENSORED BRUSHLESS, 2028-800KV
http://www.castlecreations.com/en/motor-4-pole-sensored-brushless-2028-800kv-060-0064-00

ESC:
MAMBA MONSTER X 8S, 33.6V http://www.castlecreations.com/en/mamba-monster-x-8s-33-6v-esc-010-0165-00

Motor Mount adapter
30mm adapter
https://practicalproto.com/collections/frontpage/products/30mm-motor-insert-for-arrma-kraton-8s

45t-50t pinion gear to go with it(updated)

Does anyone else know of a bigger/faster motor/esc setup?
I’ve seen a 8s w/ the setup I listed. But I’m not sure what else is out there.

Advice or suggestions are appreciated

Last edited:
Debating this motor and esc upgrade

MOTOR:
4-POLE SENSORED BRUSHLESS, 2028-800KV
http://www.castlecreations.com/en/motor-4-pole-sensored-brushless-2028-800kv-060-0064-00

ESC:
MAMBA MONSTER X 8S, 33.6V http://www.castlecreations.com/en/mamba-monster-x-8s-33-6v-esc-010-0165-00

Motor Mount adapter
30mm adapter
https://practicalproto.com/collections/frontpage/products/30mm-motor-insert-for-arrma-kraton-8s

35-45t pinion gear to go with it

Does anyone else know of a bigger/faster motor/esc setup?
I’ve seen a 8s w/ the setup I listed. But I’m not sure what else is out there.

Advice or suggestions are appreciated
That's a solid combo. You want to go with a 44t-50t pinion though.

How fast do you want to go and how does your wallet look?

I don’t really have the extra money but I’d spend what I need to get something that will wheelie on demand but still do 50-55+ mph
That's a solid combo. You want to go with a 44t-50t pinion though.

I’ll look into getting a couple of them in that size range. When I order everything in the next day or so depending on if I stick with this setup. I’ll probably grab 5 diff pinion gears to try out and see which one I like for my normal bash spot.

I don’t really have the extra money but I’d spend what I need to get something that will wheelie on demand but still do 50-55+ mph

I’ll look into getting a couple of them in that size range. When I order everything in the next day or so depending on if I stick with this setup. I’ll probably grab 5 diff pinion gears to try out and see which one I like for my normal bash spot.
Have you run a 25t pinion on the stock electronics with lunch set to max?

Stock you can wheelie. Wheelie on demand already at speed is the question right? I can wheelie mine already going 50 but mine is 12s. The least expensive way to get the most out of 8s would be the HW MAX5 and the 800kv motor. The CC X8S system is very nice though, I own 2. I love the fact of being able to make it crawl (sensored) and still having all that power at my finger tip. Worth the extra money? That's up to the buyer.

Stock you can wheelie. Wheelie on demand already at speed is the question right? I can wheelie mine already going 50 but mine is 12s. The least expensive way to get the most out of 8s would be the HW MAX5 and the 800kv motor. The CC X8S system is very nice though, I own 2. I love the fact of being able to make it crawl (sensored) and still having all that power at my finger tip. Worth the extra money? That's up to the buyer.

Does the hw max5 esc have a censored setup? I’m not too familiar with them. I can google it after work though. Thanks for the advice btw
Have you run a 25t pinion on the stock electronics with lunch set to max?

No I haven’t. But I’m trying to keep the max speed above 50+mph. Running a 25t on stock setup would kill the top end. Or am I wrong. I’m new to the electronic rc platform. Appreciate any info

Last edited:
Does the hw max5 esc have a senators setup? I’m not too familiar with them. I can google it after work though. Thanks for the advice btw

No I haven’t. But I’m trying to keep the max speed above 50+mph. Running a 25t on stock setup would kill the top end. Or am I wrong. I’m new to the electronic rc platform. Appreciate any info
The larger the pinion the more top end. 25t pinion with the stock setup will be above 50mph and it will wheelie no problem.

I currently run a Hobbywing Max5 with a Hobbywing 5687 1100kv motor on a 31t pinion. Before that I was using a Dynamite Fuze 56114 800kv motor with a 44t pinion. I didn't like the motor and that's why I switched. I'm going to pick up the Castle system next and run a big pinion (48t-50t).

Does the hw max5 esc have a senators setup? I’m not too familiar with them. I can google it after work though. Thanks for the advice btw

They are non-sensored (EDIT: Just like the stock set up) meaning on start up it could cog, jitter, shutter, jump ETC. Sensored systems know where the rotor position is and applies proper power automatically. Sensored systems typically switch to non-sensored internally at speed. I haven't had any issues with that, the timing out of the box is pretty good with that MAX5 800KV combo. I did have those issues running a beast pro on that HW 800KV motor but that ESC has timing adjustment. Little tweaks fixed it.

The larger the pinion the more top end. 25t pinion with the stock setup will be above 50mph and it will wheelie no problem.

I currently run a Hobbywing Max5 with a Hobbywing 5687 1100kv motor on a 31t pinion. Before that I was using a Dynamite Fuze 56114 800kv motor with a 44t pinion. I didn't like the motor and that's why I switched. I'm going to pick up the Castle system next and run a big pinion (48t-50t).

I don’t even know what the stock pinion is atm until I look again. It’s between 15-20t I think but I was only able to get Like 37-39mph runs on punch 5. I didn’t change anything else though. But it doesn’t wheelie at all. That’s why I didn’t think a 25t would go 50+ but make it wheelie too

I did order the wax ear plugs to lock up the diff. And heavier diff fluid. Not sure which option I’m going with yet. Still debating it lol

I don’t even know what the stock pinion is atm until I look again. It’s between 15-20t I think but I was only able to get Like 37-39mph runs on punch 5. I didn’t change anything else though. But it doesn’t wheelie at all. That’s why I didn’t think a 25t would go 50+ but make it wheelie too

I did order the wax ear plugs to lock up the diff. And heavier diff fluid. Not sure which option I’m going with yet. Still debating it lol
I ran a 23t and it wheelied with ease. I never clocked the speed but it had to be close to 50mph. There are a lot of videos of this truck on YT. I'm sure there is one with the stock electronics and a 25t pinion. I can't remember what the stock pinion is but it's severely undergeared.

Yep, stock pinion top speed is 39MPH. Going up 2 teeth will get you another 4-5MPH, no where near 50.

Does anyone have any experience with TP Power motors?

I’ve been reading up on the 1/5 scale motors and i believe they have some bigger than the castle 800kv. But I’m not sure if it’s a direct fit or if I’ll have to modify stuff. Blah it’s way to easy to get invested into these beasts haha

Stock pinion is 17t but mine was version 1... stock electronics,, 23t pinion, 20m center diff on punch 5and a real big difference and also wheelies like nothing even in mid speed

I think I’m going to go grab a 23 and 25t pinion gear to see how I like it. I think I’m still going to get a bigger and faster motor and esc though. Just want to do my research before I purchase one then end up finding something better haha.

I think I’m going to go grab a 23 and 25t pinion gear to see how I like it. I think I’m still going to get a bigger and faster motor and esc though. Just want to do my research before I purchase one then end up finding something better haha.
Yea im in the same boat as you... i just know im going with a max5 but haven't chosen my motor or pinion yet... im not looking to break a record but also don't want to be stock speed

38T pinion 8s 800KV = 57-58 MPH with low temps.
I ran a 44t on an 800kv motor and I was probably around 55 mph on pavement. Are you sure about a 38t running 57-58?

I ran a 44t on an 800kv motor and I was probably around 55 mph on pavement. Are you sure about a 38t running 57-58?

I had to go out and re-run it. I ran this thing on about 12 pinions with 8s and 12s, hard to remember.

I stand corrected, 38T on 8s it goes 49.97 MPH on badlands. 51.64MPH on stock tires with the ballooning which I put back on to try it.

EDIT: 800KV

EDIT, EDIT: 68MPH on Badlands12s 800KV 38T pinion. Same everything just adding voltzzzz..

Last edited:
It baffles me beyond belief that someone would want to change the motor and esc setup and figure out what gear they need to run, when they don't even know what a pinion change does.

Play with the truck and learn it. The stock electronics can get you 50mph, wheelies, big air, everything. It can also be pushed to 55mph or slightly faster, but will run hot! Would need to give it time to cool every couple mins, and be more of a street truck at that point. Would not do WOT 5min runs in the grass thats for sure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back