Meanwhile at traxxas. New stempede 4x4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surchaufeur

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Nero
  4. Notorious
Spoilers its a hoss
When i say its a hoss its almost the exact same with BUT no adjustable links and the BL2s system. Body looks to be the exact mold as the hoss but with just different side stickers. Anyone can guess the price? I say its 279$

Just popped up on Traxxas website for pre order at $329.
https://m.traxxas.com/products/landing/stampede-4x4-bl-2s/

If it really is a Hoss with a 2s brushless esc/motor & Stampede stickers, id say $329 is a great price since Id rather run a Max10sct/3665 Hobbywing combo anyway. The Hoss is $429.

Spoilers its a hoss
When i say its a hoss its almost the exact same with BUT no adjustable links and the BL2s system. Body looks to be the exact mold as the hoss but with just different side stickers. Anyone can guess the price? I say its 279$
Just popped up on Traxxas website for pre order at $329.
https://m.traxxas.com/products/landing/stampede-4x4-bl-2s/

If it really is a Hoss with a 2s brushless esc/motor & Stampede stickers, id say $329 is a great price since Id rather run a Max10sct/3665 Hobbywing combo anyway. The Hoss is $429.

Hoss is longer.

Wheelbase:11.62 inches (295 mm)

Pede

Wheelbase:10.83 inches (275 mm)

Hoss will also include the center diff and an aluminum center driveshaft. The center diff is like $50 ish bucks iirc and I would rather have the Tekno Big bone anyway. The Hoss and the brushed Stampede also have different gear ratios. Stampede has Traxxas 6778 which is 12/47 3.9:1 ratio the Hoss is Traxxas 5397 which is 13/37 2.8:1 ratio.

The new lineup of BL-2s is a step in the right direction that everyone needs to get on board with, Traxxas is eliminating brushed motors from their lineup entirely, even the 2wd models are going away with the XL-5 esc and Titan 12T 550 motor. Also these things come with the Extreme Heavy Duty parts stock, which are better than the stock Hoss parts. The Hoss comes with the Heavy Duty parts. I do wish they would have at least offered plastic bodied GTR shocks. So to make this thing be all it can be on 3s you will want the Tekno Big Bone center driveshaft, Kingheadz motor mount, Hoss center diff and Traxxas GTR shocks.

I just looked at both the Stampede BL-2s page and the Hoss, and the wheelbase is the same as the Hoss. The length is different but that’s because of the wheelie bar on the Hoss.

IMG_0148.png

IMG_0147.png

I just looked at both the Stampede BL-2s page and the Hoss, and the wheelbase is the same as the Hoss. The length is different but that’s because of the wheelie bar on the Hoss.

View attachment 328927

View attachment 328928

The wheel wells are more open on the pede 🤔

I like this.... I need a better job and more rc storage shelves.
Especially since I still have a wide maxx on that wish list.. hmm.. anyone hiring? Will work for rc's 🤣

View attachment 328927

View attachment 328928

Wait what? So this would explain why the Stampede 4x4 VXL isn't on the Traxxas website anymore. The Stampede 4x4 is just the budget Hoss now and they essentially killed off the old Stampede completely. I would still buy this over the Hoss.

Its a budget hoss. I find this pretty low knowing the hoss and stempede were different vehicles and now they are the same vehicle pretty much. Could not bother making a different mold for the body. Its the same shape but slighly shorter with stempede slapped into it. They could have done something next looking at the pics now side by side its a hoss with the stempede name slapped into it for cheaper price than it. Still 329$ is inflated for a 2s vehicle. Better than brushed tho

Last edited:
Its a budget hoss. I find this pretty low knowing the hoss and stempede were different vehicles and now they are the same vehicle pretty much. Could not bother making a different mold for the body. Its the same shape but slighly shorter with stempede slapped into it. They could have done something next looking at the pics now side by side its a hoss with the stempede name slapped into it for cheaper price than it. Still 329$ is inflated for a 2s vehicle. Better than brushed tho
Idk what cars you are looking at but those bodies are not the same, the wheel arches are different and it has a lower profile.

Its closer to the old Stampede body than it is to the Hoss imho.

TRA90076-4-GRN-3__97695.jpg
67154-4-Stampede4x4-Side-GRN.jpg
67054-61-Stampede-4x4-Red-Side.jpg

Everything about this Stampede is an improvement over the previous version imho.
I do wish they would have at least stayed with the short wheelbase chassis instead of the medium wheelbase though. But they probably didn't want to redesign the chassis to accommodate the battery latching mechanism.

My guess is its still a probably a money pit and time pit on 2s-3s typical traxxas fashion
Just my experience yours may be different.

But I like my modded stampede 4x4 vxl :D

Yes Mark you are a Traxxas fanboy...
If you want a small cheap RC that works with 2s and 3s just buy this https://rlaarlo.com/products/rlaarlo-am-d12

I don't see this being a money pit as most of the problem parts have been replaced by the Extreme Heavy Duty parts. Like I Siad in my post above to make this thing all it can be on 3s you will want the King Headz motor mount, the Tekno big Bone center driveshaft and the Traxxas GTR shocks. This won't be any more or less of a money pit than the Arrma 1/10 stuff.

My 4x4 Stampede the big issues were the stock driveshafts, the stock a arms and the stock shocks, once I addressed those issues I've not had much if any problems with it.

The stock slipper clutch on my Stampede was really bad, I wonder if the center diff addon is good for it.
I don't know the price on the new Stampede but I guess its to much for what I consider ok for only 2s out of the box.

EDIT:

Traxxas figured it out

Stampede 2s
Hoss 3s
Maxx 4s

Everything at maximum price.

The stock slipper clutch on my Stampede was really bad, I wonder if the center diff addon is good for it.
I don't know the price on the new Stampede but I guess its to much for what I consider ok for only 2s out of the box.

EDIT:

Traxxas figured it out

Stampede 2s
Hoss 3s
Maxx 4s

Everything at maximum price.
Mine wasn't bad the previous owner had replaced the plastic thing on the end with the aluminum one. Yes the center diff in the Stampede 4x4 makes a huge improvement in how it drives and handles. The truck is so much more planted to the ground with the center diff.

$329.99 isn't too bad considering what you are getting vs the old Stampede 4x4. The old brushed Stampede 4x4 was $299.99, to make it brushless even going with the cheapest motor and esc you can find you are looking at at least another $50 then you also have to add in the Extreme Heavy Duty kit which is another $120 which then needs to be modified to work with the Stampede 4x4. You are looking at around $470 and you still need to add the in the Tekno Big Bone Drive shaft, King Headz motor mount, center diff and Traxxas GTR shocks.

I wouldn’t call it a budget hoss, because it has a 120 dollar upgrade the hoss doesn’t have.

And you have to consider that this is a 4 wheel drive model with more moving parts, and 329 for a 2s brushless truck seems pretty good to me.

But we all have different opinions of value.
Mine wasn't bad the previous owner had replaced the plastic thing on the end with the aluminum one. Yes the center diff in the Stampede 4x4 makes a huge improvement in how it drives and handles. The truck is so much more planted to the ground with the center diff.

$329.99 isn't too bad considering what you are getting vs the old Stampede 4x4. The old brushed Stampede 4x4 was $299.99, to make it brushless even going with the cheapest motor and esc you can find you are looking at at least another $50 then you also have to add in the Extreme Heavy Duty kit which is another $120 which then needs to be modified to work with the Stampede 4x4. You are looking at around $470 and you still need to add the in the Tekno Big Bone Drive shaft, King Headz motor mount, center diff and Traxxas GTR shocks.

The only thing you have to modify is the body posts, everything else will bolt right on with the extreme kit. And Traxxas made a post on how to modify the body posts so it’s like 10 mins most work.

I’d do it but I already converted my stampede to a hoss 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

I wouldn’t call it a budget hoss, because it has a 120 dollar upgrade the hoss doesn’t have.

And you have to consider that this is a 4 wheel drive model with more moving parts, and 329 for a 2s brushless truck seems pretty good to me.

But we all have different opinions of value.

The only thing you have to modify is the body posts, everything else will bolt right on with the extreme kit. And Traxxas made a post on how to modify the body posts so it’s like 10 mins most work.

I’d do it but I already converted my stampede to a hoss 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

I saw that on their website a few weeks back. I always knew it would work aside from the body mounts.
I have mine converted to the Slash chassis, the Hoss wasn't even a thing when I did it. I did it because I didn't have any 3s lipos left that would fit in the stock battery tray on the Stampede 4x4 but they fit in the Slash so I converted it over to the longer chassis, the only and biggest downside to doing this is finding a body that fits and doesn't look out of proportion on it.

I have a Stampede and a Hoss and will most likely get one of these. I like it. I always thought the Hoss was really a Stampede v2, and now they’ve basically done it.

$329 has that Traxxas price premium, every other car in its class is 3S, but I think that’s OK. It’s a far better vehicle than the Stampede. I just wish they moved away from the plastic shocks and servo.

I have a Stampede and a Hoss and will most likely get one of these. I like it. I always thought the Hoss was really a Stampede v2, and now they’ve basically done it.

$329 has that Traxxas price premium, every other car in its class is 3S, but I think that’s OK. It’s a far better vehicle than the Stampede. I just wish they moved away from the plastic shocks and servo.

Yup the Ultra shocks really need to go the way of the dodo.

Let us not forget the Slash, Rustler and Rally all got new BL-2S models as well. And I am excited to see what changes they make to the 2wd models when they go BL-2S.

After putting some thought into it a Stampede built on a Hoss roller would probably give you a better driving truck.

"Hospede"

Yup the Ultra shocks really need to go the way of the dodo.

Let us not forget the Slash, Rustler and Rally all got new BL-2S models as well. And I am excited to see what changes they make to the 2wd models when they go BL-2S.

I most definitely agree about the shocks. The only issue I've ever had with my slash was popping shocks apart. Junk.

So whats the story on the vent in this bl-2 motor? It doesn't seem very wise to me to have a hole in the can?

Back