Mojave Need new wheels/tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks a lot for the reply SrC. Very helpful and informative. ?
******I would like to correct the above!!!!... Its the RIGHT side wheels that tend to loosen more often. Right side meaning if you were sitting inside your rig in the drivers seat. :cool: Sorry for the mix up. My Bad... My scale "69 Dodge Charger out the factory for instance, had left handed threads on its right side wheel hubs to counter this. Mechanics would always get it backwards and destroyed the lug nuts and studs many times using an impact gun when removing.( Lefty Tighty Righty Loosey was factory designed on this car to counter the loosening issue on the right side wheels.)

Last edited:
Good find. Thanks for sharing.
Gluing may be an issue. Or rather replacing the tires...the ungluing and removal of CA from these beautiful machined wheels. My only concern. Hyrax is a great tire. A wanna be scale tread design. I have them on one of my Crawlers and they perform well in comps.. $120 for the set of these wheels is not too bad....its about right if you want $alloy$ wheels. Double wheel nuts from M2C is important like you did. Alloy doesn't compress like plastic, so wheels need to be double nutted as you did or these wheels will just loosen more often than stock plastic wheels do. My thoughts. :cool:

Edit: Does anyone know if the TRX UDR wheels fit the Mojave without clearance issues? I am using the Scorched wheel wells with great results. Installation was super easy for my. The fit is perfect with easy trimming. Little if any dirt migration into the chassis. And heat not an issue so far with stock gearing. Mojave wheels been on B/O for some time now. FWIW. All colors.
Its been said the Grey wheels don't loosen like the others. I don't understand why. ?‍♂️ Color is just a plastic dye. But it's the same plastic.
Anyone have comments or experience on this?
let me ask the dude that makes the wheels. he may know
Good find. Thanks for sharing.
Gluing may be an issue. Or rather replacing the tires...the ungluing and removal of CA from these beautiful machined wheels. My only concern. Hyrax is a great tire. A wanna be scale tread design. I have them on one of my Crawlers and they perform well in comps.. $120 for the set of these wheels is not too bad....its about right if you want $alloy$ wheels. Double wheel nuts from M2C is important like you did. Alloy doesn't compress like plastic, so wheels need to be double nutted as you did or these wheels will just loosen more often than stock plastic wheels do. My thoughts. :cool:

Edit: Does anyone know if the TRX UDR wheels fit the Mojave without clearance issues? I am using the Scorched wheel wells with great results. Installation was super easy for my. The fit is perfect with easy trimming. Little if any dirt migration into the chassis. And heat not an issue so far with stock gearing. Mojave wheels been on B/O for some time now. FWIW. All colors.
Its been said the Grey wheels don't loosen like the others. I don't understand why. ?‍♂️ Color is just a plastic dye. But it's the same plastic.
Anyone have comments or experience on this?
he said if it clears with the stock wheels and tires you should be good.

Yeah the stockers clear fine. Wheel Offset seems to be the biggest problem with other wheels. The UDR Hyrax are a great alternative, finding plastic wheels for them is a problem. Arrma created a distinct specific dimension, offset and diameter (inner and outer)for the Mojave, which is a problem.

I’m using the talion 17mm red aluminum hub piece as it is a few mm out from the hub. Makes all the difference in the world when running traxxas or losi wheels. Stocks still rise normal w out clearance issues. The proline raid wheels fit better w out shaving the removable hubs. Sweeps belted for much nicer now too but require a trimmed or raised body.

Attachments

• DA73CE0B-939A-455F-90BA-7F2BADE93B16.jpeg
    DA73CE0B-939A-455F-90BA-7F2BADE93B16.jpeg
    208.6 KB · Views: 49
I’m using the talion 17mm red aluminum hub piece as it is a few mm out from the hub. Makes all the difference in the world when running traxxas or losi wheels. Stocks still rise normal w out clearance issues. The proline raid wheels fit better w out shaving the removable hubs. Sweeps belted for much nicer now too but require a trimmed or raised body.
Is that just the tailon hex, or the entire hubs.

Same hubs I believe. I’m just using the hex. Think hubs are same.

I have a set of Zero Offset 17mm X-Con Truggy's coming for my Tekno MT. I'll try them on the Mojave, maybe adjust the body and wh. wells. I shimmed the the outer wheel bearings and also use M2C hexes with the single nuts (little ofset). I never had a problem with stock nuts loosening, but the wheels were rubbing the hubs. Now its solved.
20200924_160927.jpg
20200924_163119.jpg
20200924_163302.jpg

Last edited:
I am having a hard time finding a wheel/tire combo to fit my mojave properly. I would like them to be as close to stock overall diameter as i can find. Stockers are back order everywhere im looking. I looked up the 8s Katars and its saying they are around 20mm shorter than the fortress. If anyone has any recommendations that are as close to stock as possible i would greatly appreciate it. I just got an email saying my exb parts have shipped. I get home in 2 weeks and NEED to run this thing. Currently one of my stock wheels is stripped. Going to order some different wheel nuts as well to make sure they don't loosen off and fiddlestick my wheels anymore.
EDIT: i did find a video on the forums here of @crimsonfancy running Katars. I did not realize there were a few different Katars. Ill check if i cant find some off the tailon list in stock somewhere.

Hey mate!
That's my review after I have purchased them the from the Aliexpress.

Had to do some minor adjustments to wheels themselves by grinding around where the hex nut goes in as it goes too deep in the groove and resulting in rubbing against hubs. One minor downside is that rubber a bit harder than those on Arrma, but hope them will last longer that way. And if you planning to fit them on Mojave, but keep in mind that those tires are a bit wider, but because they are a bit more like deep dish kind of rim, they will stick out and might rub slightly on the sides of the body.

Im happy with these wheels and tires, they seem to last longer, but no as much grip on loose sand.

20200908_121532.jpg

20200908_121543.jpg

20200908_121553.jpg

20200908_121631.jpg

20200909_194546.jpg

20200909_194609.jpg

20200911_161524.jpg

20200911_161529.jpg

They are used on several models:
- FTX Desert Racer DR8 6s (I have one)
- Reely Raptor 6s
- FS Racing Atom 6s
- Team Associated Desert Buggy DB8

The first two models are identical (I even got the Reely remote manual with my FTX). Wheels are 130mm, 55mm wide, 250 gram, hex17. It is said the FS and Team A are also identical but that I cannot confirm.

They are used on several models:
- FTX Desert Racer DR8 6s (I have one)
- Reely Raptor 6s
- FS Racing Atom 6s
- Team Associated Desert Buggy DB8

The first two models are identical (I even got the Reely remote manual with my FTX). Wheels are 130mm, 55mm wide, 250 gram, hex17. It is said the FS and Team A are also identical but that I cannot confirm.

The ones from Ali, they are around q1
Hey these look cool. Can you share a link or a model so we can find these?

They are around 140mm in diameter.
Link:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_BOiyxN

The ones from Ali, they are around q1

They are around 140mm in diameter.
Link:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_BOiyxN
Looking at your picture they look 100% the same as the ones that came with my buggy. On a review website they said they are 130mm. Since I could not believe a close to 10mm (137 vs 130) deviation I just used a ruler to measure the tires. They are indeed not 130mm, I just measured around 134mm with some use on them. So they are indeed pretty close to the height of the stock Mojave tires.?

Kraton,outcast,noto hubs will give you a half inch on each corner,also letting alot more tire combos not rub on hub...lol that sounds funny.rub on hub

View attachment 101935

View attachment 101936
Would also need the center hub that hooks to axle off a kraton,everything past axle. When I did a suspension swap between my Mojave and notorious I realized it the hubs were 1/2inch wider on each corner.

16012007947903028963319898087639.jpg

Senton6,Mojave, infraction, typhon probably all had short hubs.everything else longer hubs...IM JUST GUESSING ON THAT THEREE DATA.LOL

Last edited:
Theres not many tire options for mojave.most tires won't even fit cause short hubs.wheels an tire come into contact with t-buckle or hub.i trimmed my body an drilled new holes in my kraton shock towers to raise body..although this mojave is different than most

1601228996079646956840181029617.jpg

Kraton,outcast,noto hubs will give you a half inch on each corner,also letting alot more tire combos not rub on hub...lol that sounds funny.rub on hub

View attachment 101935

View attachment 101936
Great info. I noticed the same. I tried that as well. I noticed shimming the outer wheel hub bearing with 2 Tekno shims was enough to keep the wheels from rubbing and while removing much of the "stock" end play slop at the axles. I currently have the M2C 3mm Offset hexes. Too much pos. offset creates rubbing.
I have DTX X-Cons (zero offset) and the tires fit pretty well enough. Great traction for dirt and grass. Just don't use them on pavement as they will become slicks soon enough. Making great street treads though... :LOL: :cool:

Last edited:
Great info. I noticed the same. I tried that as well. I noticed shimming the outer wheel hub bearing with 2 Tekno shims was enough to keep the wheels from rubbing and while removing much of the "stock" end play slop at the axles. I currently have the M2C 3mm Offset hexes. Too much pos. offset creates rubbing.
I have DTX X-Cons (zero offset) and the tires fit pretty well enough. Great traction for dirt and grass. Just don't use them on pavement as they will become slicks soon enough. Making great street treads though... :LOL: :cool:
How tall are those x-cons.these badlands mx m2 tires are the best tires I've ever bout.ive tryed to explode them..(I like to see the limit of things).I've had them on 6s senton with 20t over 60mph till truck started coming off the ground.and on notorious with 20t giving it all it had.i cant destroy them.i just ordered 8 more badlands.ive NEVER THROWN AWAY TIRES CAUSE THERE BALD.TIRES NEVER MAKE IT TO BALD.THEY EITHER COME OFF THE RIM OF TIRE FLYS APART,FOAM INSERTS FLYING UP INTO AIR.MY FIRST SET HAS ABOUT 50%TREAD LEFT.they wear fast on the street thou.they would work on mojave.senton6 has same shorter hubs.THEY ARE 117MM,4.40 TALL.IF TALL ENOUGH OF MOJAVE WOULD ADDVISE TRYING THEM OUT

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back