What should I Get?

• Super wicked Kraton 8s

• He who shall not be named (X-maxx)

• Hobo hyper MT

• Tamiya Wild Willys Jeep

• HPI Savage

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far, I see absolutely no advantages the X-Maxx has over the Kraton.

Sure the X-Maxx is much lighter so it can be pushed harder with a 1/6 system, but that's where it ends. After 4+ year of this truck & all its awesomeness & BS it's in a decent place right now but the stock 8s truck is just as much of a slow dog as the stock 8s Kraton. They both can roll over anything but the Kraton is far more stable. Both trucks have dubius upgrade paths but there's no way in hell the X-Maxx can handle a 1/5 system as a normal basher. You're basically throwing it on the shelf when you go that route. The X-Maxx can easily be pushed to its performance limits with a 1/6 system & destroyed with a 1/5 system.

The Kraton is begging for a 1/5 system. I've maxed out the Kraton's stock system & it can perfectly handle it, both the system & the car. It's just as fast as the stock maxed out X-Maxx with twice the handling. The X-Maxx is completely outclassed in that aspect alone. Now if you take the drivetrain into consideration, the gap widens even further. The X-Maxx diffs are sintered pot metal, pretty much cheap garbage. They can be wrecked under the power of the maxed out stock system. The Kraton's diffs are machined from a single piece of steel like most 1/5 trucks, are larger with a MUCH better design, & can handle MUCH more power than the little stock system can supply (the same power which can obliterate the X-Maxx diffs).

The Kraton has been on the table for 2 years & released with a great deal more potential than the 8s X-Maxx. People are simply blinded by body & chassis styles while I'm focused on the performance of these rigs. You can talk until you're blue in the face about which out is better but that little video I made said it all. I returned one of my 8s X-Maxx's to a max6/1275kv form but still left most of the upgrades on it, fitted a 24t pinion, & took it out in the same inch of snow that the Kraton blew a tire in. That single track off in the distance to the right @ around 0:05 where you see my footprints going off too is where I floored that X-Maxx. It wheelied for about 20ft & chewed up its rear diff. The run lasted 3 seconds then it was done. That's a $900 truck with $400 in upgrades (not counting the Lockups). WT-actual-F :ROFLMAO: Now take the Kraton, same level ground, same snow, same tires, same batteries, bigger pinion: it blew a tire in 22 seconds under full throttle front diffing then proceeded to send the foam to hell. That's a $900 truck with a $9 pinion upgrade. Again . . . WT-actual-F :ROFLMAO: On the shelf vs. a glue job.

Really now. I'm not ever going to compare these 2 trucks again, & no, not even 4+ years of owning a X-Maxx can make me wear those rose colored glasses.

Come back to me when the X-Maxx grow a pair & I don't mean the 2 Fastlane machined X-Maxx diffs I was considering buying before the Kraton was announced :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I'm not even comparing the Kraton 8s to the X-Maxx. I don't own the Xmaxx. Personally I just don't like the MT look. IMHO, its such a old dated body style. I'm obviously the odd man out because MT vehicles are plentiful, so people are buying them. I own 1 very old Traxxas T-Maxx 2.5 nitro. One monster truck is enough for me. As a side note I really like the look of the E-Revo, and will probably buy one. That being said I think Traxxas, would be the perfect choice for some, Xmaxx or other model. If you need to take a poll as to what vehicle to buy, and considering the choices and how very different they all are. I would suggest the Xmaxx for you.
Or better yet the clearance Losi LST 3XL-E 4WD, at that price you could buy it and for a little more a Arrma Kraton 6s.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191218-064124_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191218-064124_Chrome.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
If Traxxas released a large scale E-Revo to counter this, it would be very hard to pass up. I have owned a Revo longer than any other RC, in pieces or fully running :ROFLMAO: I just wish Traxxas knew how to make a bloody diff.

If Traxxas released a large scale E-Revo to counter this, it would be very hard to pass up. I have owned a Revo longer than any other RC, in pieces or fully running :ROFLMAO: I just wish Traxxas knew how to make a bloody diff.
IKR, I'd be all over that. Maybe they will get it right on the next version.

@Megasty interesting ... as a bystander and only based on what I saw on some of the video platforms it seems that some of the feedback is related to:
a) perception of durability - X-Maxx plastic may be more forgiving and the Kraton will actually bend if you want it

b) availability of spares and cost (still cant get everything for the Kraton but I assume this is normal at launch), cost however for some the Kraton seems expensive but then you probably knew this betting on a 1/5scale truck

c) distribution - a lot of X-Maxx out there so there is a lot of information as well - same applies for different electronics - eg 15 people have issues with their new iPhone everyone calls it a fail

d) not sure if I am correct on this one but some videos I saw I don't even feel I would want to send a truck like that - some folks literally try wanting to break their trucks to get pageviews and then obviously the X-Maxx is way cheaper to maintain and the better model to doing so

may be a bit wide fetched but thats what I see and read and the conclusion I came to so far - I like the Kraton not only as I own one but if I didnt like it I would have worked with my LHS to return it - got some minor issues scrubbing rear shocks - waiting to hear back from Arrma/HH to see what their customer service is like ...

who knows, I have seen manufacturers replacing parts for free or offering upgraded parts after a given period of time as the design didnt hold up - if I recall correctly the Kraton was released on Nov 21st - so thats not even 4 weeks into its lifetime ...

2 things drew me to Arrma, Vas & that ridiculous 2 year warranty. Seriously, how many times can I blow an ESC, servo, or motor in 2 years if I wanted to :ROFLMAO: I don't even bother them for structural stuff because of that, although if my shock was rubbing like that I would be right back at my LHS since I bought it there. They've been really good to me this past year so I was glad to buy it from them. I do need to get out of that electronics only stuff, like it's giving then leeway to screw up. My Kraton's build quality is golden but I probably would raise some issues if any develop, especially since this is a 1st new model. It could of done w/o the blue-green marine loctite in the center diff, that crap is worse than red & heat hardly does anything to it. I had to breakout my 3500f butane torch to crack it open.

Or better yet the clearance Losi LST 3XL-E 4WD, at that price you could buy it and for a little more a Arrma Kraton 6s.
My LHS had their demo for $290, of course I snatched it up & ran out of there like I stole it :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
@Megasty
1) Performance wise the Kraton is better, that is clear. Newer electronics and better overall layout means the K8s drives much better from what I have seen.
2) Durability wise, from what I have seen I think the X-maxx is as good if not better than the K8s.. Although this is an interesting area when you break it down (pun intended)... Yes plastic may not be as strong as steel techincally but the biggest weakness for the K8s in my mind is the chassis bending which is a costly fix. A broken plastic X-maxx chassis is much cheaper than an aloy Kraton one. The Diffs in the X-maxx are something I have consdiered and will just have to take it as it comes. Kraton looks easier to work on but X-maxx doesn't apper to be too painful.
3) Cost\Value wise, in my situation the X-maxx is so much better and really this is what won it over for me. I can get a 2nd hand X-maxx with some upgrades and batteries for less than a new Kraton 8s. It understand it is a slightly unfair comparison, new vs used, but there is no 2nd hand for the K8s and wont be for a while at least in AUS whereas X-maxx's are eveywhere...
4) Parts in Australia for Arrma are virtually non existant. Whereas X-maxx parts are in every hobbyshop I have been to. I will still probably buy my spares online as they are cheaper however it is nice to know that in a pinch I can get them quickly. X-maxx spares also seem to generally be cheaper than the K8s although that will change over time probably.
5) I prefer Arrma as company over Traxxas.
6) I must be the only one that prefers the MT look and I think it suits the bashing area for me more than a truggy\buggy\kruggy??? of the K8s.

Time will tell for me if the X-maxx route was correct. I feel comfortable in my decision knowing everything I possibly can about both trucks. I only have 7 more sleeps until I get to play with it and see what really happens.

Add whatever the cost of the upcoming M2C chassis is to the cost of a new Kraton 8S and that will get you a damn near indestructible truck that drives and jumps like an 1/8 scale truggy. The power potential for the K8S is insane and it's super easy to work on. It's a complete winner in my book.

I understand that circumstances are different for everyone. Living somewhere other than the US is going to limit parts availability. Others might prefer the stuntability of the Xmaxx and that's great. I much prefer something that handles and flies gracefully. I know it can backflip because I've done it. Throw a giant 1/5 scale motor in it and I'll be pulling doubles ??? I couldn't be happier with the purchase. It's an amazing truck that is only going to get better. @Megasty hit the nail on the head with his post.

As I said before, the X-Maxx is in a decent place right now. It's been around for 4 yrs while the Kraton, 4 weeks. It's also been updated twice. For most people ATM, it will be the right buy. It's only the power guys like us who are destroying the thing. If you don't jump it to the moon or max the system, it'll run forever. Being spoiled by high powered 1/5 8s rigs makes me feel these slightly undersized rigs are dragging their feet. But most newbies wouldn't even think about touching these things even though they've been dumbed down to easily be driven by anyone. Size alone can intimidate.

I do love MTs as well, which is why I have 3 X-Maxx's. The stupid roller deals on ebay are hard to pass up & there are some really good deals on whole trucks too, but you can blame the Kraton for that. However, most of my cars have metal chassis. I've bent a bunch before reinforcing them but I never had one so bent that it had to be trashed, 20+ ft high jumps & landing on rocks, tree stumps, & curbs included.

Everybody is talking diffs and chassis. No one mentioned the body!

I never destroyed a body of my kraton or outcast to the point it need replacing. I have my x-maxx three weeks and the body is almost in half?

A body costs quite a bit compared to a chassis!

Yes I know there are unbreakable body's but I think they are hideous

Everybody is talking diffs and chassis. No one mentioned the body!

I never destroyed a body of my kraton or outcast to the point it need replacing. I have my x-maxx three weeks and the body is almost in half?

A body costs quite a bit compared to a chassis!

Yes I know there are unbreakable body's but I think they are hideous
My first X-Maxx body looks like a bus ran over it then a shark bit off the rear end. Even my 1st Outcast body is still useable.

I own both , have had the X-Maxx 8s for 2 years now . There actually was some times where I didn't use the X-Maxx for literally 6-7 months , not that it was broken , just didn't use it . Then started using it again , I've said it before , IMO , it is the best RC that Traxxas makes , that's why I did'nt sell it . I enjoy using it for what it does and what it's capable of doing . With that said that was the last Traxxas I purchased , it's been all Arrma since .
Now that I have the K8S , no doubt it handles way better , flies awesome ( didn't go big ) , but the only thing I'm surprised at that Arrma did ( or didn't ) do , was at least split the difference in the stock pinion size , instead of a 17 and having to up to the 23 , why didn't they put a 20t for stock ? I'm not complaining , just wish it was a tick faster out of the box without having to do a pinion .
Also picked up the Losi DBXL-E on that killer Black Friday deal , no feedback yet , haven't driven it yet .

X-Maxx is not marketed as a 1/5 scale. Maybe that doesn't matter to some. But to me for comparison purposes it matters. The X-maxx is very mature. It has had time to saturate the RC market. I would expect more from it at this time. TRX has had much time to correct things. They haven't, because no other company has made a major competitor of sorts until now.The K8S is spanking new and will develop and update accordingly down the road. I don't know about you, but most all the videos of the X-Maxx bashing show that dumb body retention system failing. Lost bodies from bad landings is just ludicrous. And Traxass to this day is not even embarrassed. I would not buy any RC that loses its body that way. My point is that Traxass has had time to improve things. They didn't do enough in that area after all this time. But we all know Traxass loves selling parts that are designed to break. It fits their business model for profit. Quite the opposite for Arrma.
FYI, the X-Maxx is selling for $929.00USD on their site, while the K8S is selling for $900.00USD. Pick your poison or your pleasure. :)

Back