Limitless New project! Custom chassis. "King Carbon"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@StephenSchandelmayer

Should You or should I spill the beans on how to manufacture those sweet ,sweet speed covers? 😉
Whoops I just did!!
Not only should you spill the beans but you must also allow said beans to spill onto a Paypal invoice for me to purchase a set or two...I can provide an email. PM me please...
I could whip up some more with that kind of offer 😁 they are specific to the method tires for now anyways. The front sized tires, Im not sure if they would fit the rears but I can make that happen!

I always wondered about that sort of thing. I use oven cleaner to take the color off and make a silver finish but if you dipped an entire motor in that stuff would it damage the internals of the motor? What about just unscrewing the endcaps and dipping those? Thoughts?
Yep, I wouldn't risk getting the copper windings exposed to the chemicals. If that enamel coating on the copper comes off that motor is bad and will short the windings together and fry your ESC. I would personally just sand the motor can. You can definitely pull the end caps and do those with the oven cleaner.

Maybe you could brush on cleaner to keep it safe.

Love how this build is coming along!
An idea/suggestion.... You could make a TP Power motor silver by sanding and polishing the can. I wonder if you could anodize the end caps purple to match the rest?
Thank you 😁🤘🏻. It's a damn good thing I have a tp motor on the way already......just need to find someone or figure out how to anodize because that's a fantastic idea

When I have an rc project I spend too much time thinking about it lol. Just sitting in my room staring at it to think of what the hell I could do next.
I’m very much the same way in that I must have something to obsess over, an outlet for caged passions you could say. Cycling was it before I broke myself. Now it’s RC and rock tumbling/jewelry making. If I don’t have something more or less ‘healthy or proper or just okay’ to obsess over, my deviant mind finds something on its own that’s typically not ‘healthy or proper or just okay’ 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Yep, I wouldn't risk getting the copper windings exposed to the chemicals. If that enamel coating on the copper comes off that motor is bad and will short the windings together and fry your ESC. I would personally just sand the motor can. You can definitely pull the end caps and do those with the oven cleaner.

Maybe you could brush on cleaner to keep it safe.
I'm too scary for that. I "might" try the endcaps one day but I've never taken a motor apart so I'm too chicken to bother. The problem with spreading the cleaner on is it can take 2 to 3 coatings to get the color completely off and whatever you use it on kind of has to soak in the cleaner before you see the color come off. Too risky IMHO. But the endcaps might not be so bad as long as unscrewing them and putting them back on does nothing to the motor itself.

Not only should you spill the beans but you must also allow said beans to spill onto a Paypal invoice for me to purchase a set or two...I can provide an email. PM me please...

Man I would love to. You know I would...
But, my 'workbench' is so full with other people's custom projects at the moment..

I'm going to let Mr. StephenSchandelmayer take over this custom job.
He knows what he's doing!
Please PM him.

He's obviously master the hole saw ,to perfection. 💪

And, I'll be quite honest.. I didn't picture in my mind that it would turn out THAT Clean/Perfection...
Because my suggestion was just a spur of the moment thing.
I hadn't ever attempted such a creation myself.

He knocked it out of the park with his precision.
The center wheel nut hole and mounting screws pattern.. Mint!

Last edited:
Love how this build is coming along!
An idea/suggestion.... You could make a TP Power motor silver by sanding and polishing the can. I wonder if you could anodize the end caps purple to match the rest?
I did that to mine. Wet sanded the gold to silver
I can guess how the wheel cover were done. Here's how I would do it.
Make blanks with a hole saw. Attach blanks to a carriage bolt, add large washers and a nut. Insert in drill(like a cut off) and rotate then against a sanding block until they are to spec and polish it with wet sandpaper.

Last edited:
PPS!! Gosh I love those motor mounts. And it turns out the CRCU center brace fits like it was made for it.....

Also made a carbon top plate for my fan mount. I was going to make the bottom plate too but I ran out of time.

Also got my receiver box in place with servo and esc wired to it 😈😈😈

And yes I'll be deanodizing that darn little red piece on the spool. Can't have that...

5AC6C9FC-0E9F-49C6-BBCE-C742AAC15F33.jpeg
B00164A7-4C46-4DCF-BF24-25554F2E8443.jpeg
50BAB020-EBDF-4D9D-9EB8-6348D40485D6.jpeg
4A002666-1540-477F-8072-85593427A47F.jpeg

I also decided to build this as a 3s car. I have never built one intended for 3s so I decided to go for it on this one. Partially because I don't want to give myself the 6s or 8s juice and crash real bad, but also to just keep it light. I know I can make 3s pretty darn fast too so idk! We will see how it goes. Yes I know my Max 5 doesn't really match up with that thinking but it was sitting on my shelf not being used so now it has a home.

That being said the motor I have coming is a TP 4050 3840kv and I have a CNHL 3s battery coming to go along with it! The motor is being delivered today so I'll have that in tomorrow. I might or might not end up doing what @LibertyMKiii said and get the endcaps in purple but atleast for the time being I am going to deanodize the end caps and leave the can black.

I also have a little more purple stuff being delivered today that I think will be a very nice little touch :devilish:

I have a talion body at home that I put on top of this build just to see and I gotta say it looks pretty awesome....So I am a little torn between using a talion or the typhon body that I already bought for it. I do think it will need some hex extenders to get the tires a little further from the talion body to make it look right though.
I’m very much the same way in that I must have something to obsess over, an outlet for caged passions you could say. Cycling was it before I broke myself. Now it’s RC and rock tumbling/jewelry making. If I don’t have something more or less ‘healthy or proper or just okay’ to obsess over then my deviant mind finds something on its own that’s typically not ‘healthy or proper or just okay’ 🤷‍♂️
This is such a good outlet for the mind to obsess over, obviously it can get expensive but hey we all work hard we might as well play hard too. Jewelry making is probably endless as well and I am sure the women in your life don't mind the extra jewelry!!

This is such a good outlet for the mind to obsess over, obviously it can get expensive but hey we all work hard we might as well play hard too. Jewelry making is probably endless as well and I am sure the women in your life don't mind the extra jewelry!!
It really is. And one of the best things about it is I don’t hurt myself like I did so much with mountain biking and track bike racing. I mean sure, I have hit myself in the face with a flying car… but that’s nothing compared to a 30 mph head plant off a 6 foot Ridge 😣

As for the rock polishing and jewelry making, I’m getting great satisfaction from that, far more than expected. It’s also a passion my wife and kid share with me which makes it extra special. And yes, when we have a family gathering I will take a kit with me and sit there, making bracelets and things for my young cousins. All my Christmas gifts last year were things that I made, and family seem to love them.

I’m even starting to get requests and orders, which is a huge compliment and making me think more and more that I can make this into a sideline. I’m still a bit limited though because of the amount of neuropathy and neck pain I have, but I am getting stronger as I go. I’ll be starting on silversmithing in a month or so and am super excited about that! I’ve been researching since last December and just need a few more things to get going.

Last edited:
It really is. And one of the best things about it is I don’t hurt myself like I did so much with mountain biking and track bike racing. I mean sure, I have myself in the face with a flying car… but that’s nothing compared to a 30 mph head plant off a 6 foot Ridge 😣

As for the rock polishing and jewelry making, I’m getting great satisfaction from that, far more than expected. It’s also a passion my wife and kid share with me which makes it extra special. And yes, when we have a family gathering I will take a kit with me and sit there, making bracelets and things for my young cousins. All my Christmas gifts last year were things that I made, and family seem to love them.

I’m even starting to get requests and orders, which is a huge compliment and making me think more and more that I can make this into a sideline. I’m still a bit limited though because of the amount of neuropathy and neck pain I have, but I am getting stronger as I go. I’ll be starting on silversmithing in a month or so and am super excited about that! I’ve been researching since last December and just need a few more things to get going.
30 mph head plant off a 6 foot drop.......big time ouch on that one.

But thats great, I hope you get the side gig going. I have some plans for some side gigs too that I would like to get going after my wedding in 9 days. Need more money to keep building these RC cars to interesting and extreme levels lol

That will do really well on 3S!

Congrats the upcoming nuptials, man! Very best regards, dude! 🎊🎉🍾🥂
Thats what I am thinking! With some good gearing she should scream.

Thank you very much! 🙌 I am extremely excited. 220 people should make quite the party......
GIF by Tomi Ferraro, Sportz

Thank you very much! 🙌 I am extremely excited. 220 people should make quite the party......

Congratulations buddy!
THAT is going to be sommmmmme party!!

Wow man, that’s big! My wife and I did the JP thing with like 4 of our favorite friends. The JP who married us, Justice Ruth K. Nicholson, had seen me a few times prior to that and had sentenced me to 90 days the year before. When she married us she said, “this is a life sentence Dan!” And it has been, happily. Good times. Very best of luck, my friend!

That will do really well on 3S!

Congrats the upcoming nuptials, man! Very best regards, dude! 🎊🎉🍾🥂
What am I missing here? I was operating under the assumption that certain can sizes in relation to KV were made geared toward having a certain voltage blast through it. Too much and it burns out. Too little and it doesn't come close to its potential.
That being said, I was under the belief that TP's 40 series was 6 or 8s. My own TP 4050 1700kv was run on 8s in the 1/8 Senton and 6s when I briefly had it in my 1/10 Senton.

What am I missing here? I was operating under the assumption that certain can sizes in relation to KV were made geared toward having a certain voltage blast through it. Too much and it burns out. Too little and it doesn't come close to its potential.
That being said, I was under the belief that TP's 40 series was 6 or 8s. My own TP 4050 1700kv was run on 8s in the 1/8 Senton and 6s when I briefly had it in my 1/10 Senton.
Depends on the kv. The TP 4050 3840kv is basically a 4s max motor but will do really well on 3s. Most 3s (RTR) setups are around 3000-3500 kv, the 3840 should be a pretty hot 3S screamer with a lot of gearing options with a good ESC. Your 1700kv has less than half the KV. 8s would roast a 3840.

Yeah 1700kv needs all that extra juice to really get going. But I based my decision on a vendetta motor which is 3900 kv. I could have gone a little lower since I can gear up a lot easier on this than a vendetta but I think I'll really enjoy the motor. Running 4s on it will be really wild but I'll probably just stick to 3s.

Gotcha! It's more about the kv than can size. That was one thing I was sometimes confused by. My TTO2 speed build is going to start out on the 1406 2280kv but I factored in that I'm unlikely to hit my goal with it on the "crawler" motor. A friend has a 1406 5700kv to loan me, yet warned me its 2s max. So I likely have to go with the 1410 3800kv if I stay 3s.
Currently awaiting snow to clear up an see what I can get on 3s geared 45/45

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back