Big Rock Nose diving big rock 6s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No the BLX185 is just a rebranded 8BL150 esc with neutered down firmware. The Torox is a just a rebranded Max8. IMHO yes the BLX185 is more reliable than the Firma150a. I can count on one hand how many BLX185 fires I have seen but I have lost count of the Firma150s, I've literally only used my Firma esc twice because I am afraid it will start on fire.
Thats funny the Firma's make my backside pucker to use as well haha

No the BLX185 is just a rebranded 8BL150 esc with neutered down firmware. The Torox is a just a rebranded Max8. IMHO yes the BLX185 is more reliable than the Firma150a. I can count on one hand how many BLX185 fires I have seen but I have lost count of the Firma150s, I've literally only used my Firma esc twice because I am afraid it will start on fire.
Lol thanks for that information. One last question, maybe you know the answer, maybe you don't, but what's the point of neutering the rebranded ESCs so much? Is it to force the consumer to ultimately end up spending the money on the "real" ESC if they want all the features?

Thats funny the Firma's make my backside pucker to use as well haha
When it comes to escs I like to stick with Castle, Hobbywing, Hobbwing rtr escs and the Arrma BLX series escs. Every no name, cheapo, eBay random name esc I have ever bought has died on me.

Bit of a random question here, but since we're talking about ESCs....I know the BLX185 is an older ESC, but is it comparable to the Torox 185 (they both have 185 in the product name so I figured I'd ask). Also, is a BLX185 more reliable/durable than the Firma 150?
The BLX185 is a great esc and quite reliable.

Results will vary but considering how many Firma 150's are out there (ALOT!) I think they are reliable too. Some suspect the timing was too high out of the box, I turn mine down before the first run now.

Lol thanks for that information. One last question, maybe you know the answer, maybe you don't, but what's the point of neutering the rebranded ESCs so much? Is it to force the consumer to ultimately end up spending the money on the "real" ESC?
In the case of say Redcat, I think its just so their RC's can have a reliable brand ESC at a lower price point. For Spektrum, probably the same deal but the Firma ESC's come with some extra "Smart" tech that people seem to like. I am sure there was heavy collaboration to make Horizon(Arrma) exactly what they wanted at the price point they were looking for.

My Redcat Volcano came with a Hobbywing 10BL60, very basic ESC but I can't kill it... After 20+ packs its going strong, we are not easy on that RC either.

Lol thanks for that information. One last question, maybe you know the answer, maybe you don't, but what's the point of neutering the rebranded ESCs so much? Is it to force the consumer to ultimately end up spending the money on the "real" ESC if they want all the features?

I think that is really something that whoever is having Hobbywing make the escs wants the esc to be like. Look at the Team Associated escs SCBL600 ect they literally have zero programming options. Now you take the RTR versions of certain Hobbywing escs and most of them are literally the exact same programming as the OEM, they usually lack the HW logo and have a cheaper switch.
The BLX185 is a great esc and quite reliable.

Results will vary but considering how many Firma 150's are out there (ALOT!) I think they are reliable too. Some suspect the timing was too high out of the box, I turn mine down before the first run now.

In the case of say Redcat, I think its just so their RC's can have a reliable brand ESC at a lower price point. For Spektrum, probably the same deal but the Firma ESC's come with some extra "Smart" tech that people seem to like. I am sure there was heavy collaboration to make Horizon(Arrma) exactly what they wanted at the price point they were looking for.

My Redcat Volcano came with a Hobbywing 10BL60, very basic ESC but I can't kill it... After 20+ packs its going strong, we are not easy on that RC either.
Like I mentioned above the Redcat escs have all the same programming as the retail escs. I have one of their Hexfly HEX10 escs and it is literally 100% a Max10 SCT inside, the Hobbywing software even says it is a Max10 SCT, the only differences are the color of the case and the lack of the temp port. Both of my WP10BL50s have the same programming options as the retail WP10BL60.

But I gtg.

It would seem that horizon hobby has found and fixed the ESC firmware error that has been causing the BR6s to nose dive.
There is new firmware available for download but only if you have their smart v2 program card. I do not have one and I do not want to spend $45 Canadian to buy one because this will be the only time I would use it.
So I hope horizon hobby either sends me a program box for free or sends me a pre paid shipping label to send my esc back for repair.

It would seem that horizon hobby has found and fixed the ESC firmware error that has been causing the BR6s to nose dive.
There is new firmware available for download but only if you have their smart v2 program card. I do not have one and I do not want to spend $45 Canadian to buy one because this will be the only time I would use it.
So I hope horizon hobby either sends me a program box for free or sends me a pre paid shipping label to send my esc back for repair.
I want to purchase the V2 ESC from Jennys, but I'm a little concerned about that braking issue. I wonder if its simply a matter of using the programming card to disable the drag brake, if so I'm completely fine with doing that myself. I have a Hobbywing Programming card which based on multiple users here, should also work for the Spektrum ESCs. But If I have to get the Spektrum programming box to update the Firmware, then it's a hard pass for me.

That esc needs the new firmware version installed, tweaking other settings will not get rid of the problem completely. So if you buy that esc from anywhere you'll need to have the ability to install that new firmware. I have no idea if your HW card can download the firmware from HH.

That esc needs the new firmware version installed, tweaking other settings will not get rid of the problem completely. So if you buy that esc from anywhere you'll need to have the ability to install that new firmware. I have no idea if your HW card can download the firmware from HH.
I'm pretty certain the HW card Can't...but I'm wondering if this may be a cheaper alternative than the Spektrum box :unsure:

1702397620184.png

Seems to me that HH should have a legal obligation to either repair/replace/reprogram the esc FOC, or send out the programming box FOC?
Forcing end users to buy the programming box doesn't sound right, maybe even illegal? Not sure, not a lawyer.
I've had great success with rebranded HW esc's from HH (BLX), Hobao, Redcat, Team Corally and others..but I just acquired my first Firma esc's. Two, a v1 and a v2 Firma 160. The v2 offers more options I believe?
The rebranded 08BL150 units only offer 5 programmable options IIRC. The HW version has more. The TC Torox is fully programmable.
I use an old Turnigy branded HW programming card on all of them. Can't perform any updates though.

Seems to me that HH should have a legal obligation to either repair/replace/reprogram the esc FOC, or send out the programming box FOC?
Forcing end users to buy the programming box doesn't sound right, maybe even illegal? Not sure, not a lawyer.
I've had great success with rebranded HW esc's from HH (BLX), Hobao, Redcat, Team Corally and others..but I just acquired my first Firma esc's. Two, a v1 and a v2 Firma 160. The v2 offers more options I believe?
The rebranded 08BL150 units only offer 5 programmable options IIRC. The HW version has more. The TC Torox is fully programmable.
I use an old Turnigy branded HW programming card on all of them. Can't perform any updates though.
Hopefully HH does the right thing and repair/replace all of the faulty ESCs. If not, I agree that they should at least send out programming boxes FOC. Something initerested I noticed, on Jennys the V1 Firma 150s are still selling faster than the V2 150s. I thought those V2 ESCs would've sold like hotcakes, especially at the price that Jennys is selling them. Seems that people may be hesitant about picking up the V2 just yet.

Hopefully HH does the right thing and repair/replace all of the faulty ESCs. If not, I agree that they should at least send out programming boxes FOC. Something initerested I noticed, on Jennys the V1 Firma 150s are still selling faster than the V2 150s. I thought those V2 ESCs would've sold like hotcakes, especially at the price that Jennys is selling them. Seems that people may be hesitant about picking up the V2 just yet.
Does the v2 Firma 150 offer 8.4v BEC? Would be the only reason I'd consider it over the v1.. if at all. I know many have had issues with the Firma 150, as such, I don't blame them for staying clear. I haven't owned one, but my brother has about a half dozen, no issues. We're stock power users though, may have something to do with it.

Just tried my new arrma Big Rock 6s and have the dreaded nose dive. It's not a huge problem for me but at the price the truck cost it should be working 100%. Have sent an email to horizon hobby so now I'm waiting for a reply.
So I'm kinda late to the party here but...I get this same thing (like the video) happen to me while driving my speed run car with the XLX2 and the 1721. It like it reads the rotor position/speed and adjusts the speed of the motor to match the position of the throttle trigger. That probably confusing but I don't mind it as I use it as kinda drag break. Wondering if anyone else experiences this with sensored systems. I always thought it was normal but yall got me thinking now.

Esc issue
Contact horizon idk what they will do about it yet
+1
Yeah Not sure how they will treat you regarding their New latest and supposedly greatest ESC.
Let us know what HH has to say, short of doing the "Parts Cannon" thing to your BR.:unsure: Usually hit or miss.

Regarding the 1/7 XLWB BR, My FT (same XLWB chassis) did that nose dive thing horribly also for me. I simply moved the Lipo tray rearward, and most of the nose diving was gone. Then I adjusted my rear shocks better and that helped even more so. Same with my V1 1/7 Mojave. (also XLWB chassis) Loved to nose dive.
The 1/7 BR however already has the Lipo tray in the Rearward position out the box. So try adjusting your rear shocks better. Seems if the Rear shocks are not dialed well enough, they tend to quickly catapult the nose down more. How I see it. That's how many track guys do this as well, with track jumps and nose diving issues. Increasing the Center diff's CST (oil) should also help. I would go right up to 500k CST at center. (FWIW I also run 60k Fr and 30k rear) And run the Arrma Metal diff at center while you are doing your center diff with 500k.
That aside, Metal/alloy Fr and Rr Upgrade braces are a prerequisite for all the XLWB chassis platforms. Consider that if you have not done so already. EXB, M2C HR or whatever your wallet permits. Anything is better than the Stocker plastic chassis braces. Plastic just bends and twists with the XLWB chassis.
:cool:

Edited.

Last edited:
Do RC just posted the fix?
That's one of the RC YouTube channels I really like, their videos are short, easy to watch, and straight to the point, IMO. Glad that update worked. I'm gonna go ahead order the 150 V2 for my Infraction build before they jack up the prices like they did with the BR6S bodies.

I got a reply from Horizon Hobby to tell me they have fixed the problem via a firmware fix. BUT I HAVE TO BUY A PROGRAM CARD !
That is a damn disgrace , my truck never worked as advertised so therefore as far as I'm concerned it was not fit for purpose and they should at least loan me a card postage paid.
I just got another reply to tell me to either take the esc to a hobby shop or send in the esc. I've asked for a prepaid shipping label to return it. Why would my lhs repair horizon's error when I bought the truck direct from horizon and not my lhs?

I contacted HH. They asked that I send it the ESC in for repair. I asked who will be paying for the shipping as my BR is only 3 weeks old. They replied that my other option is to install the soon-to-be-released update with the use of a programming box. So I asked who will pay for the programming box as I don’t own one.

Emails went dead after that.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back