Powered screwdriver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted something that would be a good screwdriver and a drill as I often need both and did not want two big bulky tools in my mobile boxes.
I settled on this device.
PXL_20230720_194714442.jpg

It works great as a screwdriver and a drill, feels good in my hand, is at a good angle, has variable speed trigger and a two speed switch, Keyless chuck, a clutch, came with two batteries and a foam case to hold all of the parts, some tool bits and all for 40$
PXL_20230720_194945347.jpg

PXL_20230720_195257310.jpg

Even works with my micro screwdriver sets.
The downside is that it is a little bigger than I would like. Other than that, I couldn't be happier with it.

Unfortunately it seems it is out of stock.

I do not recommend this screwdriver. (Wowstick Pen Driver)
It is way too weak for RC stuff.
PXL_20230720_195628149.jpg

Last edited:
If a power driver doesn't have a full Variable Speed trigger and a Clutch, for RC use I think its a bust. (n) One or 2 speed triggers don't cut it for me.
Many of the tools shown look to be ok for general all around use.
But for RC use specifically, many don't cut it for me. I have many here. Some are just really really Too Slow as well. By hand is even faster ....
I feel 12v types is a minium. 7.2V may be ok for some. Lower powered ones rarely last long. Needing to be sitting charged most of the time after use.
I hate when you are in the middle of a build or wrenching and it dies. Stuck using hand drivers. Then that tool is a fail.
My Milwaukee M12 has a fast charger and comes with 2 batt. packs. And Pistol grip drivers are more comfortable for extended use IMHO.
I built my Tekno MT410 Kit with barely 2 charged packs. That includes starting fresh threads in most of the plastic parts.
FWIW, I use Chap Stick on the screws for help starting fresh threads in new plastic parts. First few turns should always be by hand.
Final torquing always done by hand also.
Again don't be lazy about this. You will eventually strip out plastic parts . Power drivers really do speed up the wrenching aspect considerably and only if used properly.

>>>If you notice, many of the Arrma RTR's out the box come with many under torqued as well as stripped plastic parts from the factory. One has to think about Factory QC and how and by whom is actually assembling these RTR's. Power Drivers are used to build/assemble these at a very fast production rate. I am sure they are not All using quality Power drivers at that. A good Clutch, set properly, prevents over/under torquing and stripping FWIW. The factory will Never turn screws by hand. They rely on Power drivers.

Last edited:
I've had the below brushless Bosch for 6 1/2 years now and I love it. The clutch goes low enough for the small screws into plastic and it's powerful enough to drive 3 1/2" deck screws in and like @SrC with the Milwaukee the batteries last forever. I built my whole Capra with less than one battery charge. I use this thing for rc use as well as around the house all the time when I don't want to deal with my big drill or impact for putting in screws.

I've never used the drivers smaller than this but have been very happy with this purchase.

BOSCH PS22-02 12-volt Max Brushless Pocket Driver Kit with 2.0Ah Batteries, Charger and Case https://a.co/d/3169PpR

Yeah that Bosch above with a clutch fits the bill.(y)(y)
Does it also have full Variable Trigger speed?:unsure:

If the "removed" screws are getting Very Hot to the touch, the speed is way too fast. Need a slower speed. Otherwise the risk for melted plastic threads is always there. It's a thing with Power drivers. And why many choose not to even use them.
This is why you want a Full Variable Speed trigger. Best control. 2 Speed Pwr. drivers wont cut it.
I also find brand name and BLX motored Drivers to have the best battery life.
:cool:

Last edited:
Yeah that Bosch above with a clutch fits the bill.(y)(y)
Does it also have full Variable Trigger speed?:unsure:

If the "removed" screws are getting Very Hot to the touch, the speed is way too fast. Need a slower speed. Otherwise the risk for melted plastic threads is always there. It's a thing with Power drivers. And why many choose not to even use them.
This is why you want a Full Variable Speed trigger. Best control. 2 Speed Pwr. drivers wont cut it.
I also find brand name and BLX motored Drivers to have the best battery life.
:cool:
It does have a variable speed trigger as well as a low and high gear. I always have it in low gear and very rarely fully pull the trigger when working on rcs. I've never melted any plastic threads but when I was taking the long screws out of the cage on my Axial Bomber I took then out a little fast and they were hot. I learned to slow down even when removing screws lol.

I do agree that the pistol style is far more comfortable in my opinion.

I was looking at the Milwaukee one that you got but I ended up seeing this one go on sale for like $130 for the brushless driver, 2 batteries and the quick charger so I couldn't pass that up. I wasn't invested in any 12v platform so it didn't really matter to me.

I've had the below brushless Bosch for 6 1/2 years now and I love it. The clutch goes low enough for the small screws into plastic and it's powerful enough to drive 3 1/2" deck screws in and like @SrC with the Milwaukee the batteries last forever. I built my whole Capra with less than one battery charge. I use this thing for rc use as well as around the house all the time when I don't want to deal with my big drill or impact for putting in screws.

I've never used the drivers smaller than this but have been very happy with this purchase.

BOSCH PS22-02 12-volt Max Brushless Pocket Driver Kit with 2.0Ah Batteries, Charger and Case https://a.co/d/3169PpR
Uh, is that right? $385!? I don't care how good it is, nope.🤯

Screenshot_20230721-135607_Samsung Internet.jpg

Likewise. When I got my Milwaukee M12, it was actually cheaper at $99.00 at the time. Cloth Case, fast charger and (2) M12 batts.
Got it specifically for RC use.
I mostly have all Milwaukee M18 tools here as well. With the multi chargers etc. Quality stuff.
Bosch is the good stuff also. My first tool sets were all Bosch. No complaints. Just used the crap out them for like 10+ years. Got my monies worth.

Uh, is that right? $385!? I don't care how good it is, nope.🤯

View attachment 312566
🤣 No, I got it for like $130 about 6 1/2 years ago. It's that much because it's probably been replaced by two new models so getting the obsolete model new from that long ago is some odd seller on Amazon. I was just putting the link to the model number that I got.
Likewise. When I got my Milwaukee M12, it was actually cheaper at $99.00 at the time. Cloth Case, fast charger and (2) M12 batts.
I mostly have all Milwaukee M18 tools here as well. With the multi chargers etc. Quality stuff.
Bosch is the good stuff also. My first tool sets were all Bosch. No compliants. Just used the crap out them for like 10+ years. Got my monies worth.
That's an awesome deal! Had I seen that I would have went with the Milwaukee in a heartbeat.

Yeah right now the M12 is more $$. I think with No case now.
Like everything is.:rolleyes:

🤣 No, I got it for like $130 about 6 1/2 years ago. It's that much because it's probably been replaced by two new models so getting the obsolete model new from that long ago is some odd seller on Amazon. I was just putting the link to the model number that I got.

That's an awesome deal! Had I seen that I would have went with the Milwaukee in a heartbeat.
Oh, I see.. makes more sense😁 Ima keep rockin this $9 HF POS for now.. stripped plastics from fixed rpm screwdrivers are a delicacy in my shop!!🤪😂😂

I still prefer to do it by hand for fear of stripping threads. But, I'm not getting any younger. It's not powerful enough to strip screws but, saves countless turns of the wrist. Especially on disassembly. You can kill several of these for much less than the expensive ones. Works great. Battery lasts a long time. Frequently go on sale or have a coupon for 14.99. The only complaint is it doesn't lock the bits in. Glued a small magnet in it. Solved.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4v-co...ith-4-insert-bits-and-wall-charger-64313.html

I love my DEWALT 8V MAX Gyroscopic (DCF680N1).
Second dewalt..but all my carpentry tools are dewalt so I'm biased. I also got a couple cheapos from HF that work well. Also a snapon I had leftover from working in a body shop.

Hands down, the DeWalt 8V Max is your best bet...and, not because Raz says so (although, he is correct). I have come across quite a few people who have used multiple brands, and almost all agree that the DeWalt is the best. Even better, DeWalt makes two different versions - DCF682N1 (the straight version), and DCF680N2 (handle rotates 180 degrees, switching between 'straight' and 'gun' positions). Note on ANYTHING from Harbor Freight Tools, "you get what you pay for"

Here is some testing
I watched the same video and went with the Tepco. It works fine and has a USB recharging port but is a bit slow. Because of that you it's a pretty safe one for RC because you can see and feel the limit of the screw coming. I'd be willing to part with this if anyone is interested.
https://a.co/d/4qvKidw

At the same time I have the Dewalt DCF855. It's fast torquey and gets the job done. The down side is that it's heavy, bulky and can ruin your model very quickly if you aren't careful. My conclusion is that it's too much for RC unless you are super diligent to not over torque things. It's fast enough that it can melt your plastic screw holes from the friction. <<-- Use Caution -->>
https://a.co/d/aEaAtgb

I ended up settling on the DEWALT 8V MAX Cordless Screwdriver, Gyroscopic (DCF682N1). This is the straight version of the gyroscopic screwdrivers. It's fast enough to make get it done, you can still melt the screw holes, but the speed control is much better than a trigger. The down side is that does take a little practice and getting used too and I wish it was USB rechargeable. I have too many chargers.
https://a.co/d/0nNBiUN

Tools can be very subjective.
If you have used power tools very much before , wheather for a job, your trade , or a heavy DIY'er, or just need one only for this Specific RC hobby, whatever works for you is what matters.

Having many tools here, my criteria for RC use is :
-A Clutch
-Variable Speed "Trigger" (Not single or 2 speed)
- 7.2- 12v ( no more, no less) More power means Heavier. Less power means less versatile, cannot remove/install some long tight screws in plastic.(n)
- 2 Removable rechargeable Lipos. Not Nims. For the same reason we don't run Nims in our RC cars.

A case is a plus. Not mandatory.
Included bits and accessories do not sway me. It's just added cheap fluff most of the time, with little value, IMHO. I have bits etc, already.
For some, this may matter. Underpowered pwr drivers will wear out quick. Like my gifted cheapo Ryobi 4v, it started smoking. Got too hot to hold with heavy use. Junk within a year. Single speed drove me crazy. Built in battery didn't last for crap. A throwaway tool.
I focus on the the tool itself.
A power driver that is not comfortable/ergonomic gets tiring after using it for several hours. I stay away from the gimmecky ones that come with cheap accessories. Yet many are swayed by all the added fluff. I get it.
If it is clumsey to hold and use, then it is not really much of a convenient time saver with repetitve use.
There are many options out there for everyones taste and price.

Last edited:
I see that some even use heavy 18-20v volt Drills, because they have one there already.
That can work also , I guess.....:unsure: :rolleyes:

Tools can be very subjective.
If you have used power tools very much before , wheather for a job, your trade , or a heavy DIY'er, or just need one only for this Specific RC hobby, whatever works for you is what matters.

Having many tools here, my criteria for RC use is :
-A Clutch
-Variable Speed "Trigger" (Not single or 2 speed)
- 7.2- 12v ( no more, no less) More power means Heavier. Less power means less versatile, cannot remove/install some long tight screws in plastic.(n)
- 2 Removable rechargeable Lipos. Not Nims. For the same reason we don't run Nims in our RC cars.

A case is a plus. Not mandatory.
Included bits and accessories do not sway me. It's just added cheap fluff most of the time, with little value, IMHO. I have bits etc, already.
For some, this may matter. Underpowered pwr drivers will wear out quick. Like my gifted cheapo Ryobi 4v, it started smoking. Got too hot to hold with heavy use. Junk within a year. Single speed drove me crazy. Built in battery didn't last for crap. A throwaway tool.
I focus on the the tool itself.
A power driver that is not comfortable/ergonomic gets tiring after using it for several hours. I stay away from the gimmecky ones that come with cheap accessories. Yet many are swayed by all the added fluff. I get it.
If it is clumsey to hold and use, then it is not really much of a convenient time saver with repetitve use.
There are many options out there for everyones taste and price.
Very much a personal choice.

From experience, I like having the right tool for the job. I used to work on my car with mostly Craftsman tools, which at the time was good for a home mechanic. It wasn't always the right tool, but it's the tool I had. So I made it work.

However, I had friends that were professional auto techs. When I would go to their place and work on my/their cars with the right tool. OMG it was amazing. Everything just works, less busted knuckles, less broken parts and so much faster.

My best advice is buy the right tools for the job. If you can't afford that then at least buy decent tools. Decent tools last longer, work better, shorten the repair time and cause you less pain than junk tools.

Sure that Harbor Freight wrench set is $0.90 per wrench, but you will strip a bolt head causing you 3 hrs of frustration trying to extract that and buying a $20 crappy extraction tool ... that turns out to be one time use. Then spend another 2 hrs and $5 in gas taking it back when the wrench breaks. Additional tools, gas, time wasted it's a very expensive wrench set.

Don't buy this.

1690044897409.png

I wanted something that would be a geed screwdriver and a drill as I often need both and did not want two big bulky tools in my mobile boxes.
I settled on this device.
View attachment 312422
It works great as a screwdriver and a drill, feels good in my hand, is at a good angle, has variable speeds and a two speed switch, Keyless chuck, a clutch, came with two batteries and a foam case to hold all of the parts, some tool bits and all for 40$
View attachment 312423
View attachment 312424
Even works with my micro screwdriver sets.
The downside is that it is a little bigger than I would like. Other than that, I couldn't be happier with it.

Unfortunately it seems it is out of stock.

I do not recommend this screwdriver. (Wowstick Pen Driver)
It is way too weak for RC stuff.
View attachment 312425
Yeah these do serve a purpose for like fine PCB and PC building etc.
Not for our RC use.
Unless it is a 1/24 scale model or maybe a Smallish Quad Copter,

Yeah these do serve a purpose for like fine PCB and PC building etc.
Not for our RC use.
Unless it is a 1/24 scale model or maybe a Smallish Quad Copter,

Building PCs or RC is all the same to me, except PC stand offs have better hardware. The Tepco works, it's just a bit slow, that's all. It wont's strip any threads that's for sure. I loosen and do final torquing of all the screws by hand anyway.

It's probably best suited for assembling Ikea stuff.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back