Preventing Rlaarlo Flips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon TLR
My Rlaarlo 917 lifts the front end when I approach 90mph.

Any best practices to keep that car planted? Certain springs, shock limiting, aero mods, etc.

Does it come with a front splitter? A splitter would create some drag, but at the benefit of turning that drag into pressure to push the front down.

Also can help to tape body to the chassis and seal off gaps for air intrustion, IMO.

I would eliminate the shocks altogether and run struts, at least in the rear. It eliminates the possibility of the rear getting lower than the front, and when that happens it’s game over at those speeds. If not, definitely use rear shock limiters. I use these sometimes, they have a little bit of squish so you don’t bottom hard.
IMG_3046.jpeg

I’m really looking forward to spring so I can get my Rlaarlo out and see what she’ll do!
IMG_2945.jpeg

My Rlaarlo 917 lifts the front end when I approach 90mph.

Any best practices to keep that car planted? Certain springs, shock limiting, aero mods, etc.

For any car doing speed running you want to limit the rear travel. I usually only allow the rear to move 2mm aprox.
The front I limit to just above scraping the ground.

As others mentioned you want the rear high and the front low.

The Porche body makes some significant downforce in the rear once you are at those speeds which is why this is happening.

I used Tygon fuel tube off Amazon for the ak-917 and it worked well. (but its a pain in the rear to reassemble with only 2mm travel)

Last edited:
You sould add some weights to the front end as well in addition to the other suggestions. We used to add weights to the 2wd rear motor rcs to keep it from flipping over all the time.

You sould add some weights to the front end as well in addition to the other suggestions. We used to add weights to the 2wd rear motor rcs to keep it from flipping over all the time.
I'll have to disagree with this and would just suggest let the aero do the work for you since it'll add significant weight as the speed increases, esp in his situation (not 2WD).

It's like when you're sprinting, you don't add more weight on your body to add more traction/speed during forward momentum (at speed) - you fix your posture.

More weight + resistance = more amps requirement and hotter motor.

Just physics.

I have seen people use weights. Probably more so on these smaller 1/10 scale cars.
I exclusively ran 1/7 scale last year and never needed weights.

I would say if you do everything you can with the suspension and still have issues then try weights. Keeping the car light weight is always best.

At the end of the day the goal is to not damage the car and all the expensive electronics.

At the end of the day the goal is to not damage the car and all the expensive electronics
I’ve been pretty impressed with this little car. Zero damage after a few flips/crashes. I haven’t reached super high speeds yet though.

I’ve been pretty impressed with this little car. Zero damage after a few flips/crashes. I haven’t reached super high speeds yet though.
Out of the box this is one of the best 1/10 cars for sure!
It is a solid little car.

I'll have to disagree with this and would just suggest let the aero do the work for you since it'll add significant weight as the speed increases, esp in his situation (not 2WD).

It's like when you're sprinting, you don't add more weight on your body to add more traction/speed during forward momentum (at speed) - you fix your posture.

More weight + resistance = more amps requirement and hotter motor.

Just physics.
Except for that you don't flip over backwards when you run at full speed. So I wouldn't say that's an exact comparison, since at our limited speeds, humans don't really need to consider aerodynamic stability.

Unless....
Area 51 Running GIF by MOODMAN

I do agree that aero should always be considered, but that doesn't mean an appropriately placed ballast is always incorrect.

Perhaps some forward leaning canards to help provide more leveraged downforce to help keep the nose down.

Last edited:
@dure16 Two things I noticed in this picture. The front ride height looks too high, and he’s running struts in the rear, not shocks. I think proper rake is imperative, as is rear shock limiting or struts. With the proper rake and the rear struts, weights may not have been needed?

Back