New Rlaarlo road car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How would you expect a 3660 3900kv like that to perform against Castle’s 3660 6400kv?

I’m curious if the huge price difference is justified.
Well there’s just no one that’s pushed these Rlaarlo motors yet. They will hit their limits for sure just have to find where.
The castle 6400 is a capable motor but you need to be good at gearing it correctly.
One of the other runners on my road, Demarco Kane, has done 167mph on a single Castle 6400 on a 4s Onyx pack and a Mmx8s in his ak917.
The motors in these cars as a dual motor version won’t be the limiting factor it will be the esc’s. Since you can’t fit two Mmx8s esc’s in the car your limited in what will fit. I’m running the 1/8 mmx 6s esc’s in my tp motor dual build that are good for 220 amps out of each one but I’m at 150 amps on my 127mph run. So I expect to hit their limit before the motors are even close to being maxed out. I do have a second set of esc’s coming that have been “hacked” if you will to remove any cutting or heat cutoff errors and just go until they blow. So I’ll try them as well.

On the same subject with the esc’s I expect that the rlaarlo ones will at some point cut out on me pushing the rtr car as I am. I’ll know soon enough because I’m going to be running 4s soon. I have some custom sized packs coming to try

Well there’s just no one that’s pushed these Rlaarlo motors yet. They will hit their limits for sure just have to find where.
The castle 6400 is a capable motor but you need to be good at gearing it correctly.
One of the other runners on my road, Demarco Kane, has done 167mph on a single Castle 6400 on a 4s Onyx pack and a Mmx8s in his ak917.
The motors in these cars as a dual motor version won’t be the limiting factor it will be the esc’s. Since you can’t fit two Mmx8s esc’s in the car your limited in what will fit. I’m running the 1/8 mmx 6s esc’s in my tp motor dual build that are good for 220 amps out of each one but I’m at 150 amps on my 127mph run. So I expect to hit their limit before the motors are even close to being maxed out. I do have a second set of esc’s coming that have been “hacked” if you will to remove any cutting or heat cutoff errors and just go until they blow. So I’ll try them as well.

On the same subject with the esc’s I expect that the rlaarlo ones will at some point cut out on me pushing the rtr car as I am. I’ll know soon enough because I’m going to be running 4s soon. I have some custom sized packs coming to try
167mph on a single 6400 is insane.

Great insight. Thanks.

167mph on a single 6400 is insane.

Great insight. Thanks.
He knew how to gear the motor. He’s an old school runner. Holds the current 1/5 scale record at 149mph and has some other fast cars.

It funny I believe Raz did 154 with the same motor before he said it was “maxed” out and as we watched that video we saw him gearing more aggressively when he should have geared back so the rpm’s of the motor could work. Every motor has its area where it is most efficient and that’s what has to be found

He knew how to gear the motor. He’s an old school runner. Holds the current 1/5 scale record at 149mph and has some other fast cars.

It funny I believe Raz did 154 with the same motor before he said it was “maxed” out and as we watched that video we saw him gearing more aggressively when he should have geared back so the rpm’s of the motor could work. Every motor has its area where it is most efficient and that’s what has to be found
I get scared when a 1/5 scale comes near me at 50mph. 149mph would be terrifying.

I found a local deal on a used 6400kv and am going to pick it up. I'm curious how it compares to my current HW 4000kv of similar size. It sounds like gearing it properly will be a fun adventure.

I get scared when a 1/5 scale comes near me at 50mph. 149mph would be terrifying.

I found a local deal on a used 6400kv and am going to pick it up. I'm curious how it compares to my current HW 4000kv of similar size. It sounds like gearing it properly will be a fun adventure.
Gearing is a process. And understanding how to read data and gear accordingly. It takes alot of work.

Terrifying is a good word for it.

I've had the Rlarrlo buggy and hit 57mph, didn't bite on the 917s but loving the 787's...oh yeah, BIG love to my Infraction and Typhon!!!
unnamed2.jpg
unnamed3.jpg

Had a few minutes of fun with the 787 outside yesterday (it finally stopped raining long enough to dry out lol) but a rear inner bearing disintegrated almost immediately and led to the destruction of that wheel too.

In that time a newly tightened pinion gear (they were both loose on arrival) also came loose. Any thoughts on keeping them tight - can't see how to get loctite in there cleanly with all the surrounding Alu supports.

These bearings look very low quality to me - are you guys replacing yours? They are not super snug in the hub housing either and I wonder about vibration at high speeds? Maybe they should be loctite'd in?

Anyway, that's the bad news - the good news is this thing is a beast :D

image_67517185.JPG

Had a few minutes of fun with the 787 outside yesterday (it finally stopped raining long enough to dry out lol) but a rear inner bearing disintegrated almost immediately and led to the destruction of that wheel too.

In that time a newly tightened pinion gear (they were both loose on arrival) also came loose. Any thoughts on keeping them tight - can't see how to get loctite in there cleanly with all the surrounding Alu supports.

These bearings look very low quality to me - are you guys replacing yours? They are not super snug in the hub housing either and I wonder about vibration at high speeds? Maybe they should be loctite'd in?

Anyway, that's the bad news - the good news is this thing is a beast :D

View attachment 338400
No issues with bearings yet, but I haven't had a lot of runs on it.

No issues with bearings yet, but I haven't had a lot of runs on it.
I will say that with some really fast runs I typically check the center driveshaft carrier bearings and the hub bearings after maybe 5-6 runs, every 2-3 sessions.
However I have been replacing them with the same ones from rlaarlo.

Ceramics don’t do well with vibrations. They tend to be more brittle in my experience.
One example is my vte2 builds. The center drivelines are original hobao bearings after 30-40 passes on some of my 180mph cars and my 205 car has about 10 190-205 mph passes. After checking them a few weeks ago I’m not even switching them out yet.
From 7 cars I only rebuilt one spool.

When I used ceramics in the spools they were getting trashed every 5-7 runs.

I think it’s a common misconception that ceramics are better and it’s cool that they spin so free when assembling them. But at the end of the day they just don’t perform the same in the center. I recommend a good quality metal bearing for center where the rpm’s are the highest.

Ceramics don’t do well with vibrations. They tend to be more brittle in my experience.
One example is my vte2 builds. The center drivelines are original hobao bearings after 30-40 passes on some of my 180mph cars and my 205 car has about 10 190-205 mph passes. After checking them a few weeks ago I’m not even switching them out yet.
From 7 cars I only rebuilt one spool.

When I used ceramics in the spools they were getting trashed every 5-7 runs.

I think it’s a common misconception that ceramics are better and it’s cool that they spin so free when assembling them. But at the end of the day they just don’t perform the same in the center. I recommend a good quality metal bearing for center where the rpm’s are the highest.
Makes sense. Ceramic is very brittle. They are probably good when you are chasing that last 1 mph and don't mind tearing down the entire car afterwards.

Sooo... I reported the quality issue to Rlaarlo andthey basically accused me of crashing the car and lying about it!

Man, that is an appalling way to treat customers. Why would you accuse a customer of lying about something that is a) not manufactured by you (the bearing) and b) is easy to prove otherwise with photos. What an absolute facepalm...

Anyone in the UK looking for a dual motor 787 with 3mins on the clock?! (I'll replace the bearing)

sigh.

Last edited:
Sooo... I reported the quality issue to Rlaarlo andthey basically accused me of crashing the car and lying about it!

Man, that is an appalling way to treat customers. Why would you accuse a customer of lying about something that is a) not manufactured by you (the bearing) and b) is easy to prove otherwise with photos. What an absolute facepalm...

Anyone in the UK looking for a dual motor 787 with 3mins on the clock?! (I'll replace the bearing)

sigh.
Post the email you sent. I’m curious the issues you listed to them

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back