New Rlaarlo road car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to look at the emails and OMG, that's a chunk of change for the big motors.
View attachment 325367

The 917 is decent, but a bit angry to drive... A lot angry. I can't imagine how much of a hand full this will be?

It looks like they took the mods people did on the 917 and included them here. They are following the Toyota testing model. Release the product encourage 3rd party development, where people test it and debug the design and do the market research. Then start building those features into the product.

Top mounted servo
Foam tires
More down force
Gryo
Metal suspension bits

Even with all the improvements I'm not seeing $700 here?
I think it is a matter of perspective.
Not defending Rlaarlo at all here, but tell me what other RC car can go 140+ mph out of the box (after proper suspension tuning) for $700 or less?

For those who don't need or want that much speed they make $200 models. I appreciate that they offer different versions of the car to fit what the user needs/wants. Most RC guys cannot handle a 150 mph car. The number of people who have gone 150+ is a pretty small number.

On a side note I am puzzled why they would offer that low of KV. Maybe just for street bashing I guess but I cannot see you fitting 8s in this car to make use of any KV under 2,000.

Last edited:
I think it is a matter of perspective.
Not defending Rlaarlo at all here, but tell me what other RC car can go 140+ mph out of the box (after proper suspension tuning) for $700 or less?

For those who don't need or want that much speed they make $200 models. I appreciate that they offer different versions of the car to fit what the user needs/wants. Most RC guys cannot handle a 150 mph car. The number of people who have gone 150+ is a pretty small number.

On a side note I am puzzled why they would offer that low of KV. Maybe just for street bashing I guess but I cannot see you fitting 8s in this car to make use of any KV under 2,000.

Your totally right. Money doesn't replace common sense or skill. I think the problem most people don't understand that just getting a car to 100mph takes some work. I know, preaching to the choir, right.

Then I'm looking at the car and get the feeling it's going to be sketch. My 917 wasn't even aligned symmetrically. Even my Limitless had to be tuned. It's not really RTR at 140. It's RTR at like 60 mph after you go through. Then thinking the people that buy the 140mph version will have no business buying it. They are also the ones that bought the 700hp (Mustang, Camaro, Charger) and ball it up.
1696521004879.jpeg

Hopefully they will get it on video. 😲

Your totally right. Money doesn't replace common sense or skill. I think the problem most people don't understand that just getting a car to 100mph takes some work. I know, preaching to the choir, right.

Then I'm looking at the car and get the feeling it's going to be sketch. My 917 wasn't even aligned symmetrically. Even my Limitless had to be tuned. It's not really RTR at 140. It's RTR at like 60 mph after you go through. Then thinking the people that buy the 140mph version will have no business buying it. They are also the ones that bought the 700hp (Mustang, Camaro, Charger) and ball it up.
View attachment 325398
Hopefully they will get it on video. 😲

Agreed, and 1/10 is harder to get right also.
The 1/7 scale cars you can setup wrong and still survive a 100mph run.

Looking at a brushless 1/10 touring RTR cars seem to average around $400 (if they are not junk). If the car comes with 2 Brushless systems the price seems semi-reasonable to be in the 550-600 price range.

I agree with you this dual-motor model is not the appropriate car for most people. But it is epic that they offer it.

They are simply doing this for two types of people in this hobby. The ones that want a car to buy and be able to take right out and run.
They will pay for a rtr to run with everything in it. Then they have the 199$ roller which is a great price for the roller

These are some of my favorite cars,

Second 3s pass on my new build at 139mph, I’ll take it
IMG_6696.jpeg

Don’t forget Subaru.
Toyota and Subaru share everything in their new cars,
I do collision work for a living. See that stuff all the time.
Not 100% correct at all.
You are making an assumption about "everything" there.
You need to qualify your statement better.
Both Collison and Toyota Dealer Tech here for years myself.

Word on the street is that such a car is coming.
Fingers crossed that it will be a good car.

For the 1/10 a little pricey. Says orders will be sent out 10/30/23

View attachment 325313
I would buy the $199.00 carbon roller and do my own electronics. I almost did. Price is in line at that point to finish it based on your goals. If they could fit 40xx motors. Which they can’t. So….??? People will drop $800.00+ on a car to break records that only accommodates 36mm motors? Not me, bro.
That’s the thing there, you could buy a roller at a great price for 220-240 or 350-370$ more you get ready to run with 2 motors and 2 esc’s, price wise for a dual I think it’s about right.

Most my dual 1/7 cost 2k+ to build,

The good thing about this company is that they have listened to input from the drivers,
Not your YouTubers but the actual speed run drivers,
I have put together a whole list of information for them on their next project, and the CEO used all of the info on a meeting they had,
They are going to announce the new car next month and along with that announce that they are pulling input from the public for what the drivers want.
Spent an hour talking with them about dual motor efficiency and showed data comparison and speed comparison with the same motor running single then dual,

They actually want to learn and understand the reasoning behind what we are building.
It’s cool they’re listening. But that said, in regard to the new AK-787, why in the world didn’t they very slightly tweak the motor mounts (which they redesigned anyway, obviously, for dual motor configuration) to accommodate a 40/42mm can? Had they done that, I’d have one on the way already. I passed, and largely because of that. Their decision not to do this really makes no sense, especially after seeing what people did with the AK-917 in the Speed Run Challenge. It seems they want to break records and put their cars on the map, but do they really think they can do that with 36mm motors? Nope. Come on, Rlaarlo. At the very least make a bolt-on option part to accommodate the motors that simply everyone is running.

I would buy the $199.00 carbon roller and do my own electronics. I almost did. Price is in line at that point to finish it based on your goals. If they could fit 40xx motors. Which they can’t. So….??? People will drop $800.00+ on a car to break records that only accommodates 36mm motors? Not me, bro.

It’s cool they’re listening. But that said, in regard to the new AK-787, why in the world didn’t they very slightly tweak the motor mounts (which they redesigned anyway, obviously, for dual motor configuration) to accommodate a 40/42mm can? Had they done that, I’d have one on the way already. I passed, and largely because of that. Their decision not to do this really makes no sense, especially after seeing what people did with the AK-917 in the Speed Run Challenge. It seems they want to break records and put their cars on the map, but do they really think they can do that with 36mm motors? Nope. Come on, Rlaarlo. At the very least make a bolt-on option part to accommodate the motors that simply everyone is running.

I can tell you there is a guy running the AK-917 with a single TP36mm motor running around 150-160+ mph range. Dual 36mm motors would be doing even more...
36mm motors can do alot more than people might think. It usually is just that we already have the 40mm motors and want to make use of them ;)

I can tell you there is a guy running the AK-917 with a single TP36mm motor running around 150-160+ mph range. Dual 36mm motors would be doing even more...
36mm motors can do alot more than people might think. It usually is just that we already have the 40mm motors and want to make use of them ;)
I was looking at the final standings from their Speed Run Challenge. Didn’t see any real contenders running 36’s there. And why not accommodate a 40/42? There’s plenty of room, they redesigned the motor mounts anyway, and I just don’t get why they wouldn’t have done that. And jeez dude, you were one of the first ones that did mods to accommodate Mod-1 gears and 42mm motors. Rlaarlo could easily do this for pennys on the dollar while they’re at it and instantly have a much more attractive platform. It just literally wouldn’t have cost them any more to do it, but for some reason they didn’t. I don’t get it.

I was looking at the final standings from their Speed Run Challenge. Didn’t see any real contenders running 36’s there. And why not accommodate a 40/42? There’s plenty of room, they redesigned the motor mounts anyway, and I just don’t get why they wouldn’t have done that. And jeez dude, you were one of the first ones that did mods to accommodate Mod-1 gears and 42mm motors. Rlaarlo could easily do this for pennys on the dollar while they’re at it and instantly have a much more attractive platform. It just literally wouldn’t have cost them any more to do it, but for some reason they didn’t. I don’t get it.
I agree and wish they would have gone with mod1 on this new model (more like a V2). As usual from a business decision process perspective it is cheaper to utilize the same ak-917 platform and make a few small changes (body, wing, motor mount, servo mount, wheels)

It is always about the $$$ at the end of the day.

I think I might pull the trigger on this AK-787. I was thinking about getting the Traxxas 4-Tec 2.0 VXL but that's $299 and doesn't include a body. Plus, from a lot of videos that I've seen, the 4-Tec 2.0 seems to spin in circles when it gets up to speed on the stock tires and is hard to reach the 70MPH claim from Traxxas out of the box...

...but wow, RLAARLO! For the same price, I can get an awesome body that's included and it's 4S capable! So far, I've seen several YT videos of people getting 70+ out of the box with their AK-787 's (granted this is on 4S, so not an apples to apples comparison since the 4-Tec 2.0 is 3S) BUT it looks like the AK-787 is very stable at high speeds.

(y) 🏎️ 🛞

I think I might pull the trigger on this AK-787. I was thinking about getting the Traxxas 4-Tec 2.0 VXL but that's $299 and doesn't include a body. Plus, from a lot of videos that I've seen, the 4-Tec 2.0 seems to spin in circles when it gets up to speed on the stock tires and is hard to reach the 70MPH claim from Traxxas out of the box...

...but wow, RLAARLO! For the same price, I can get an awesome body that's included and it's 4S capable! So far, I've seen several YT videos of people getting 70+ out of the box with their AK-787 's (granted this is on 4S, so not an apples to apples comparison since the 4-Tec 2.0 is 3S) BUT it looks like the AK-787 is very stable at high speeds.

(y) 🏎️ 🛞

The 4-Tec... anything Traxxas, is built like a tank though and you can get parts at your LHS. Not saying it's any better or worse than the Rlaarlo, but it is a known quantity.

My Slash VXL can do a legit 60 mph when it doesn't flip upside down. At the same time I've hardly seen anyone get the Traxxas XO-1 to the claimed 100MPH out of the box. They also like to do back flips. Which is why Arrma is still THE speed run platform.

Rlaarlo has a lot of potential. I did see something that they are working on US distribution and you can buy the full car on Amazon. They've been lurking in the wings for a while and learning what people are doing. With that said it really is a pretty small car and going that fast it's going to break no matter what brand you have.

Have fun with whatever you go with.

(y) 🏎️ 🛞

This is a much better car than the 4tec in several ways. The 4tec needs so many upgrades to be stable over 60 mph.
The carbon fiber Rlaarlo that has the steel 2 piece center shafts is the best option.

I'm not really pro or anti-this Rlaarlo, but it does a stable 70+mph out of the box for $200. I don't think they designed it from the ground up to be a world record speed car — it’s 1/10 scale. But it’s pretty decent… and it’s $200!

I'm not really pro or anti-this Rlaarlo, but it does a stable 70+mph out of the box for $200. I don't think they designed it from the ground up to be a world record speed car — it’s 1/10 scale. But it’s pretty decent… and it’s $200!

Agreed, and most anyone who gets the car in their hands usually says something about how it feels much nicer in quality than they expected.
You wont hear that with a 4tec 2.0 :p:ROFLMAO::p

You have to define stable and out of the box. It's has all the parts to be stable at 70 mph. But that assumes it's setup right at the factory and I have yet to get any car that is setup correctly out of the box. So out of the box if you have enough room, length and width so it can free roam, it's possible.

Smaller cars tend to be a bit more angrier than the larger ones. I need to turn down your steering, be easy on the throttle, set the trim, etc. If you're a pro driver maybe not, but I certainly need to.

As an RTR the potential is there, but you should plan to tune it no matter what platform it is.

You have to define stable and out of the box. It's has all the parts to be stable at 70 mph. But that assumes it's setup right at the factory and I have yet to get any car that is setup correctly out of the box. So out of the box if you have enough room, length and width so it can free roam, it's possible.

I have one of these. I set the steering trim and dual-rate was able to drive 65mph in a straight line down the street. No other changes. To me, that is “stable out of the box”.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back