Quiet crawler esc/motor combo? edit: I have Fusion SE already

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Any budget esc/motor combos for a 1/10 crawler that is quiet? I have the Hobbywing Fusion SE 1800kv in my TRX4 currently. The motor whine is loud and irritating to the point I don't run it anymore, can't stand the sound even just slowly creeping along. Would rather sell it than listen to that noise anymore. Also, the Fusion SE only has 9 parameters that can be adjusted, leaves a lot to be desired. The Fusion Pro cost double but still lacks adjustment for freewheeling and PWM frequency.

I thought crawlers could be relatively quiet, especially given the low amounts of throttle input used 90% of the time. I'm used to servos being mildly annoying at times, but this Fusion SE motor is WAY louder than the servo.

Hope to find a fix, but the upside is if I don't, I can sell the crawler to make space for a Notorious or a second Typhon. I'm already starting to lean that direction, but rainy season is coming and the crawler would be a nice option for wet weather.

oh that's a bummer, i have the old fusion 1800 and its realy quiet! picked up the new fusion se but haven't put it the truck i bought it for yet to say, i know a seperate esc motor combo is irritatingly loud when crawling. heres my trx-4 with the old fusion 1800. was testing shocks from an old wheely king, much higher but alot of body roll!

I riding buddy had a mamba x with the slate crawler motor...I could bearly stand to be near him for the wineing and howling at crawl speeds. I love the FOC of the hobbywing, almost like a cruise control when you get to an incline or decent. Combine that to the traxxas controller with the throttle set and fine tune it with the trim and it makes crawling so much fun

If your Fusion is loud, it’s broken…they are by far the quietest Motor/ESC out there.
I run every version of it in my TRX4s and none of them make any kind of noise.

The Mamba X on the other hand…is almost painful to listen too. 😆

The TRX4s mesh presets work well, but it’s really finicky when it comes to the position of the pinion on the motor shaft itself.

Try sliding the pinion back towards the motor and try again.

I have the Fusion SE, its been loud since the first time I used it, both with the Sport single speed transmission as well as the 2 speed I upgraded to. Higher gearing isn't as loud, but also not great for crawling. Here's vid with servo noise first for comparison. Last time crawling it took a significant tumble down down a rock wall and started making noise like the diffs or pinion/spur need attention so it has a little clicking like noise. The clicking didn't cause it to be loud, it was just as noisy before the tumble when the gears were sounding smooth. Wanted to figure out what I can do about the loudness before I take things apart to check the gear mesh and diffs:

I've heard nothing but good things about the Fusion systems, but I've found brushed to be nice and quiet. I have no first-hand expereince with the Fusion systems. Also, the Castle Slate series running sensored is pretty darn good. I have three of those units with the Copperhead 10 ESC and like them very much.

I could be wrong but it sounds like the noise is coming from the diffs based on the video.

I have the Fusion SE, its been loud since the first time I used it, both with the Sport single speed transmission as well as the 2 speed I upgraded to. Higher gearing isn't as loud, but also not great for crawling. Here's vid with servo noise first for comparison. Last time crawling it took a significant tumble down down a rock wall and started making noise like the diffs or pinion/spur need attention so it has a little clicking like noise. The clicking didn't cause it to be loud, it was just as noisy before the tumble when the gears were sounding smooth. Wanted to figure out what I can do about the loudness before I take things apart to check the gear mesh and diffs:

Oh wow! That's not normal, check you have the motor screws in the proper holes for the pinion size, also I had the same clicking when I first built my trx-4 kit...turned out to be the pinion was too far from the motor and the set screw for the pinion was touching the spur
That cover that holds the motor plate also makes it impossible to see the pinion spur mesh. It's only a couple bucks for that part, I bought a spare to cut the top off so could see what was going on
In the book it tells you what letter hole to use for the sizes of pinion that will fit, usually spot on

Last edited:
Just changed the mesh by 1 hole and slid the pinion 1-2mm closer to the motor. Definitely reduced the sound but I can see the spur need to be replaced. Not quiet but not as loud. I'll grab a spur at the LHS today and replace to see how much that helps. Also will check the diffs. Don't know if its my hearing issues but it seems the noise is louder on the right, regardless of whether I have the front turned to the right or the rear turned to the right.

Just for fun I went and found the cover I hacked to see the mesh, by no means is it necessary cause once I saw the mesh it was good in the holes the book said to use, I just had to see to make me believe the mesh had a tiny loose, too tight and it will make the noise in your video. On my trx-6 I got used the driveshafts where dry rusty and squeaky when I got it, making me think bearings where done somewhere, got the bearing kit but only cleaned and greased and was happy after.
Make sure to not run your truck if you open up the cover like this...stuff will obviously get in

20230915_114908.jpg

20230915_114845.jpg

Going to the LHS a little later this morning, hope a new spur reduces noise even more than the mesh/pinion position adjustments I just did. Ran the motor one time by itself, very quiet. Engaged to transmission, noise returns but not as loud since adjusting mesh and pinion position on motor shaft. Disconnected driveshafts so diffs aren't engaged, noise remains the same with or without driveshafts connected, definitely coming from pinion/spur. Had the mesh set 1 hole off from Traxxas gearing chart, most likely the source of my issues. Could have sworn I had it set to what the chart said. I gotta stop working on my rigs when I have insomnia at 2:00am! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Going to the LHS a little later this morning, hope a new spur reduces noise even more than the mesh/pinion position adjustments I just did. Ran the motor one time by itself, very quiet. Engaged to transmission, noise returns but not as loud since adjusting mesh and pinion position on motor shaft. Disconnected driveshafts so diffs aren't engaged, noise remains the same with or without driveshafts connected, definitely coming from pinion/spur. Had the mesh set 1 hole off from Traxxas gearing chart, most likely the source of my issues. Could have sworn I had it set to what the chart said. I gotta stop working on my rigs when I have insomnia at 2:00am! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I was going to say, but ya'll got it.

The motors shouldn't really make much more than a buzzing sound at higher RPM.

Also small pinions can be noisy. I'm running the Fusion Pro with a 10T (-1 from stock) and it's dead silent on the low end. However, I previously tried a 9T pinion with my brushed setup and the gear noise was ridiculous. A constant whine that would pierce your eardrums so I didn't keep that setup.

With the 10T pinion I developed a squeak. So tore down my trans yesterday and regreased everything. Then notice the driveshaft CV has some surface rust on them. I cleaned that up and put some Tri-Flow on there, it's silky smooth now quiet now.

Not my rig, but it sounded like this with a 9T.

Any budget esc/motor combos for a 1/10 crawler that is quiet? I have the Hobbywing Fusion SE 1800kv in my TRX4 currently. The motor whine is loud and irritating to the point I don't run it anymore, can't stand the sound even just slowly creeping along. Would rather sell it than listen to that noise anymore. Also, the Fusion SE only has 9 parameters that can be adjusted, leaves a lot to be desired. The Fusion Pro cost double but still lacks adjustment for freewheeling and PWM frequency.

I thought crawlers could be relatively quiet, especially given the low amounts of throttle input used 90% of the time. I'm used to servos being mildly annoying at times, but this Fusion SE motor is WAY louder than the servo.

Hope to find a fix, but the upside is if I don't, I can sell the crawler to make space for a Notorious or a second Typhon. I'm already starting to lean that direction, but rainy season is coming and the crawler would be a nice option for wet weather.
Yeah only if it is equipped with PWM parameters, then you can dial out some of that Hi Freq noise. I don't find it a nuisance when out on the rocks outside. Maybe indoors it is louder? Varies.. My ears have learned to tune it out I guess. Some people don't like the shreeking sound of Chalk against a chalk board?:giggle: You can tell I am old. Most schools don't even use chalk boards anymore.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back