Typhon Speed runner Typhon 6S ~ UK built fast, not bought fast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I've met a bunch of cool people too but where I am(Toronto Canada) there aren't many, if any, speed runners. I'm usually out there alone. I haven't seen any guys on Youtube from my area Speed running. On a side note I got my Felony with stock body up to 119Mph but crashed. I managed a clean 114Mph just before.
Sorry about the crash, ...hope the Felony wasn't damaged.

There aren't any speed runners local to me, I mean none that I know anyway, so I am the same as you out on my own when local. I usually drag my Mrs along who sits in the car but that's purely for safety so if I get hit by the car or anything she's there at least to call for help. She has zero interest in RC's.

The other speed runners I've met and ran with have always been at ROSSA UK Speed Championship events. If you ever get the chance to do that I'd highly recommend it. (y)

Sorry about the crash, ...hope the Felony wasn't damaged.

There aren't any speed runners local to me, I mean none that I know anyway, so I am the same as you out on my own when local. I usually drag my Mrs along who sits in the car but that's purely for safety so if I get hit by the car or anything she's there at least to call for help. She has zero interest in RC's.

The other speed runners I've met and ran with have always been at ROSSA UK Speed Championship events. If you ever get the chance to do that I'd highly recommend it. (y)
My GF would tell me to rub some dirt in it and tell me to shake it off buttercup. That’s after she laughed hysterically for five mins. She’s not a fan of RC either.

This is what I did for my son. I bought him a Kraton so that it can grow with him and started him on 2s and he is working his way up. All of my friends were telling me to get a cheap $100-150 brushed 2wd for now to get him started and I thought, "why so that I can buy a car now and another car later and then never even think of the original car again?" Their response was "what if he doesn't like the hobby." I said, that is why I'm picking the Kraton for him, so that if he doesn't like it, I will now have one.
Well done!!...

Cool.
At the moment the only other proper R/c car I've got is this...
View attachment 31260

...a 1/10th scale Tamiya Hornet.
Added ball raced bearings, Absima ESC and a 15Turn Arrma brushed motor.

It's basically undriveable. :ROFLMAO:
The suspension on the Hornet is terrible and on tarmac it hops around like a rabbit with a rocket up it's backside. It's better on grass but for the most part I only wanted it as I'd always wanted one as a kid and it was fun to build at Christmas.
i also have a hornet! :p cheers!

I've GOT to put my speed runner together. I've got back into FPV drone stuff, after taking a year or two off from the RC stuff, and OMG, all the new chit that is out there. Got Crossfire on my radios, a new one of those tiny Jumper T-lite radios with a Crossfire Tracer module in the back. On and on, into the darkness of my empty wallet! Ha! What luck have you Guy's had with Crossfire on your land rig? :oops:

It's been a while since any real changes or updates to my Typhon so here is one and it's a good one. :D

I have been doing some test runs with another speed run car (Serpent 977e Evo2) that I own and decided the motor wasn't quite right for it so have now done a bit of a motor swap.

The Typhon now has a substantially better motor in the form of a TP Power 4060CM.
157.jpg

Fit's lovely. :cool:
156.jpg

Got some time off work coming soon too so will hopefully be able to make some mild test runs with it to see how it performs.
155.jpg

Whilst I was fitting the motor I also replaced the spool bearings for new, oiled the rest and did some basic checks/maintenance. Can't wait to run it now. (y)

It's been a while since any real changes or updates to my Typhon so here is one and it's a good one. :D

I have been doing some test runs with another speed run car (Serpent 977e Evo2) that I own and decided the motor wasn't quite right for it so have now done a bit of a motor swap.

The Typhon now has a substantially better motor in the form of a TP Power 4060CM.
View attachment 133900

Fit's lovely. :cool:
View attachment 133901

Got some time off work coming soon too so will hopefully be able to make some mild test runs with it to see how it performs.
View attachment 133902

Whilst I was fitting the motor I also replaced the spool bearings for new, oiled the rest and did some basic checks/maintenance. Can't wait to run it now. (y)

I cant help but notice the window curtain in the background matches the color scheme of the car. (Grey/purple/yellow) :cool:

You need to get your a$$ in gear and get back in the speed game. You're a Forum speed guy original by my count. Weren't that many doing it when you started tweaking yours. Nice to see you back again brother.

For a few reasons another speed runner project (Serpent 977e Evo2) I was building had to go, ...it was finished and I had run it a few times but just didn't gel with it & needed a cash injection for some non-fun things.

Not all bad though as it made me decide to focus on my current runners more, specifically the Typhon so spent some of the "cash back" on it.

First change was ditching the plastic centre front diff mount in place of a GPM aluminium version.
159 GPM aluminium centre support.jpg

The next thing I did was replace my old Futaba R2104GF receiver with the spare from the Serpent I sold which is a Futaba R2006GS air receiver that has better range.
160 Futaba R2006GS receiver.jpg

Bit too big for the old Arrma RX box so modified the case simply by cutting off one side so it fits nicely now.

Pleased to be doing some work on the Typhon again as it deserves the attention I think. :D(y)

The Eagle eyed amongst you may have noticed that my Castle MM2 ESC had been removed so the next part of my planned upgrade was to make an ESC mounting plate for a new (used but new to me) ESC.

I started by making a cardboard template to get the size, position and screw hole locations correct.
161 Cardboard template for ESC mount.jpg

I cut the mounting plate from some scrap aluminium plate. Marked and drilled my holes making the four holes for fixing to the centre mounts countersunk to clear the ESC base.
I then tapped the holes for mounting the ESC using an M3 tap, checked it all fitted as it should and mounted it in place.
162 Aluminium ESC mounting plate.jpg

With the plate in place I mounted my new Castle XLX ESC and spent some time working out the best routes for the wiring as well as ways to protect it. I think it turned out pretty good especially as the shell still fits on nicely in place. :)
163 Castle XLX fitted.jpg

I just need to make some motor to ESC extension wires and it's all done & ready for a test run. There is also just enough space on the servo side for my 8S cap pack that the Typhon (running on 6S) will share with my Limitless (8S).
164.jpg

Thanks for reading. (y)

Last part of my weekend RC fiddling and thread update. :D

I needed someway to securely hold my cap pack so I made a slot in the plastic chassis side guard for some velcro strapping. However because I'd only used one strap I didn't like that there was a chance it could maybe move a little and as it was close to my pinion gear I decided the best solution was to make a small guard from aluminium.
165 Pinion gear protector & cap pack strap.jpg

The cap pack fits great.
166.jpg

Last job to do at the moment is the motor to ESC extension wires and then I can finally take it for a trial run. Cannot wait although won't be trying for any high speeds until I go to a safe location, namely ROSSA in June.

Glad to see you more active in this thread although sad that you parted ways with the other very nice car.
I think those serpents are just too pricey...
Cheers @LibertyMKiii .
The Serpent was a quality RC but honestly I preferred my Arrma's and as I needed a cash injection it made sense to get rid of it. (y)

As with all good plans sometimes they go belly up. :(
The used Castle XLX I bought was a dud. Started up etc so looked like it was working as it should but when I tried to run the car it was only firing on 2 phase so wouldn't run the motor properly and as I bought it used I had no refund option.

With ROSSA UK fast approaching where I was hoping to run the Typhon I had to make a decision...

...so with that in mind I made another, larger, aluminium ESC mounting plate.
167 New aluminium ESC mounting plate.jpg

The reason it had to be larger was to fit this....
169.jpg

It really is a lot bigger than you think.
The footprint of it is larger than the XLX and it is also significantly taller. So much so that it took a bit of head scratching before I figured out how best to fit it.

I have used some body post mounts from the Limitless in order to raise my body shell higher again.
170.jpg

Doesn't look as bad as I thought it might and hopefully shouldn't cause any issues.
171.jpg

Will have to see how it runs now.
The weather is rubbish so might have to wait a week or two before trying it out unfortunately but happy it's back together again and with AFAIK a working ESC. :D(y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back