Spektrum 200A ESC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lamar22

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade my electronics in my 1/5 EXB. I like how convenient the SMART technology is with the Spektrum batteries, esc ex... but the 160A is just not enough. Will they ever make a 200A or will we have to rely on the max5, XLX2? Will they turn the EC8 connectors into IC8s so they will have connectors that can handle higher amps? Idk wither I should wait or pull the trigger.

i know the XLX2 is more powerful but is it better than the max5 in terms of 1/5 bashing? I also saw you can’t use the IC5 connectors with the XLX2 so that’s also a bummer for me. Which one would you get if you had the chance?

What isn't enough for you on the Firma 160? Punch? Speed? What motor are you running and what gearing? How are your temps? There might be another tuning solution to get what you are looking for and keep the Smart features if you are liking them.

What isn't enough for you on the Firma 160? Punch? Speed? What motor are you running and what gearing? How are your temps? There might be another tuning solution to get what you are looking for and keep the Smart features if you are liking them.
I’m running the Spektrum 1100kv motor. spur 47/ pinion 29. Temps are around 140 when running hard in grass. I feel like I might not have enough speed rn and I think my gearing is the best I can get rn with out overheating. What do you think?

I hate the spectrum stuff. Go get yourself a xlx2 and 2028 castle. 800kv. That’ll be fun!!
I would love to get a XLX2. Not too enthusiastic about switching all my batteries/ connectors tho. Would bashing with it draw too much current for the ic5’s?

I hate the spectrum stuff. Go get yourself a xlx2 and 2028 castle. 800kv. That’ll be fun!!
That's great and all, but OP stated there are features of Spektrum setups he enjoys and that Castle doesn't support. Maybe better to look at a way to keep the feature than just cast aside.

As for a Firma 200, afaik the Firma 160 is a Hobbywing MAX6 rebranded with Spektrum Smart, so a Firma 200 would likely be a MAX5. There could definitely be one in the future, but I haven't personally seen any word of one in development.

That's great and all, but OP stated there are features of Spektrum setups he enjoys and that Castle doesn't support. Maybe better to look at a way to keep the feature than just cast aside.

As for a Firma 200, afaik the Firma 160 is a Hobbywing MAX6 rebranded with Spektrum Smart, so a Firma 200 would likely be a MAX5. There could definitely be one in the future, but I haven't personally seen any word of one in development.
Can the max5’s give telemetry to the dx5c transmitter. The max5 Is appealing to me as well

Admittedly I am unsure. The Castle system does have telemetry with a specific transmitter protocol
Yea I’ve seen that. Only thing keeping me for the castle system is changing all my connectors as have all XT90s and IC5 batteries and chargers. I saw you can’t use them with the XLX2.

I would love to get a XLX2. Not too enthusiastic about switching all my batteries/ connectors tho. Would bashing with it draw too much current for the ic5’s?
Nope. Ic5’s will work fine.

True but what he is looking for doesn’t exist.

True but what he is looking for doesn’t exist.
Ah yes, better immediately tell someone to forget what they like instead of even exploring possible options of how they may be able to get more out of what they have while retaining features they enjoy.

@lamar22 Are you still running stock fans? There are some pretty awesome upgrade options, Thunderoos specifically, that move a TON of air.

Ah yes, better immediately tell someone to forget what they like instead of even exploring possible options of how they may be able to get more out of what they have while retaining features they enjoy.

@lamar22 Are you still running stock fans? There are some pretty awesome upgrade options, Thunderoos specifically, that move a TON of air.
@ABabyEater I still have stock fans on the esc and I have some cheap dual fans coming for the motor this week. Will the upgraded fans on the ESC make a huge difference?

They definitely can. Depends on the fan. Adding a venturi can help as well. In some cases you can get a couple teeth on your pinion.

BTW I appreciate everyone throwing out ideas. I love to explore all the possibilities. I hope we can continue to talk about them all
They definitely can. Depends on the fan. Adding a venturi can help as well. In some cases you can get a couple teeth on your pinion.
Im definitely going to have a look into the fan options. I’ve never thought about upgrading them

Here’s what Castle says for connectors on a XLX 2.

8C80A7AD-BD1F-4E8B-B107-234E61A92AF9.jpeg

They for sure would rather you use their own connectors.
deans and traxxas and ec3 I agree with though those won’t handle the current!

but...
lots of us running big power through EC5 with no issues.

MAX5 does not transmit telemetry to the DX5, none of the Hobbywing currently support that feature.

For bashing in grass, I wouldn't use IC5 with a 1100kv setup and an XLX. Yes, you can pull amps for short bursts like speed runs but not the 15min stuff during bashing, they will melt the solder. Not an issue with the Firma160 though, it's limit is close enough to the connector limit.

Back