TP motor positioning and total tooth count🫡

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARRMA-GET’M

Reaction score
Hello, good afternoon everybody… I don’t mean to create another post on some thing that has been repeated and done in the past, I did check out the post from 2020 on the same questions with gearing spacing and all that but according to the information that was gathered on that thread, and my own knowledge And doing homework from research, my gearing selection should have matched! I have a total tooth count of 62 teeth, which is what comes on the Felony with a 16 tooth pinion and a 46 tooth spur, and these gears are modular by increments of 1 mm. so if you remove a tooth from one gear, and you add that tooth to the other gear, it is still the same total tooth count, and it equals the same total tooth count between both combined diameters for the gears. No matter if it is a 10 tooth pinion or a 50 tooth spur… If you want to know the diameter, just add 2 mm to the tooth count and that is your diameter. A 10 tooth pinion will be 12 mm diameter and a 50 tooth spur will be 52 mm diameter. Obviously something slipped by and the only variable would be that the stock spectrum motor does not bolt on to the motor mount plate directly centered like the TP motor does. The variable would have to be that the spectrum motor is bolted on to the motor mount plate slightly off-center in favor of getting a solid mesh on a low tooth count.

Like I said, I don’t mean to create another thread on some thing that has been asked multiple times, but there might be a bug somewhere lol. I appreciate everybody’s support. The forum does not allow videos unless it is a link, but the extra work is worth it because having the ARRMA forum is a valuable tool, thank you all..

I can appreciate your reasoning here, but it depends on your motor mount. PPS and Scorched (!!!) alllow the motor to be elevated a bit and increase your gearing options. Looks like you’re using an EXB mount? Sorry, I don’t have much info about extreme gearing options there, because when I went to alternative gearing options I didn’t use that mount. PPS lists “total tooth count” in regard to setting up their mounts to your application. Maybe check that out and it can help.

I’m not sure if this is your situation but it can also be the motor mount plate.

There are different types and one allows the motor to move closer to center than the other.

Do you have any other motor plates you can compare yours to?

I do think its worth noting that the EXB mount in the in a lot of rigs came with a 50T spur. So with out a PPS or scorched mount you could go to a 50T spur and like 23 ish T pinion

I’m not sure if this is your situation but it can also be the motor mount plate.

There are different types and one allows the motor to move closer to center than the other.

??? Could you elaborate, I’d like to learn this.

You can also always lower the spur tooth count.
I have the original Hot Racing motor mount that wasn't "big pinion friendly".
But I did get a 35T pinion on it by exchanging the stock 56T spur for a Limitless 40T. I also raised the mount 1/8 using washers.
FB_IMG_1676360699621.jpg
FB_IMG_1676360707325.jpg
20210616_122355.jpg

In hindsite though, knowing what I know now, the PPS or Scorched's Rotomount are superior options.

??? Could you elaborate, I’d like to learn ththis.
I think he means the slider plates made for either 40 series or 50 series cans. PPS has two also, if I recall right. If anything, it probably raises motor as opposed to bringing it closer?

??? Could you elaborate, I’d like to learn this.

I can’t find my pic but essentially like the drawing. One mount would allow you to slide closer to the center than the other.
C92B074F-A8CE-4F11-9F67-77395531D6DA.jpeg

If I'm not mistaken the minimum tooth count on a PPS is 61. Scorched may be the same but not sure. I had 34T spur/30T pinion on a stock mount before but anything less than 63 might be a struggle. I was using the TLR mount (black one). The Limitless mounts are different though...never tried one of those. I've got an EM Performance mount too and they sort of suggest the 50T and you can go all the way up to 48T pinions since its already lifted...but when I tried to go lower than a 46T in the center the way the mount is made I couldn't get a good mess with less than a 28T pinion. When using a bigger can like a 1717 or 4985 size the cup at the rear of the diff mount gets too close to the motor the less teeth you have since you have to keep moving it closer and closer to the mount to get mesh.

I can’t find my pic but essentially like the drawing. One mount would allow you to slide closer to the center than the other.
View attachment 282023
Oh, ok. Gotcha. The other PPS ones are drilled for bigger motor mount spacing and have two adjuster screws included to be chosen by total tooth count.

I can appreciate your reasoning here, but it depends on your motor mount. PPS and Scorched (!!!) alllow the motor to be elevated a bit and increase your gearing options. Looks like you’re using an EXB mount? Sorry, I don’t have much info about extreme gearing options there, because when I went to alternative gearing options I didn’t use that mount. PPS lists “total tooth count” in regard to setting up their mounts to your application. Maybe check that out and it can help.
This is the mount that came on the limitless v1 so I imagined it’s the same mount as the Felony 🤔 .. good to know the other companies provide that info, thanks for advising me about it. Much appreciate🙂

Wow thanks!… I almost thought so but I doubted myself. I don’t remember if I used a different plate for the 1717 on the felony but if I did, then it came with two plates and I should have the second plate put away.. I’ll check that, Thanks 🙏
I do think its worth noting that the EXB mount in the in a lot of rigs came with a 50T spur. So with out a PPS or scorched mount you could go to a 50T spur and like 23 ish T pinion
So far I purchased a 20 tooth pinion that did not reach the stock spool and then I purchased a 42 tooth spur gear that did not reach the 20 tooth pinion lol. I’m trying to not have to purchase another spur because it will come too close to the top of the mount which will scrape the lid when I put on the v2 lid.. I need the v2 style lid because the scorched top brace does not work with the stock motor mount plastic lid, it’s got that hump for running tall spurs. Crazy stuff right?? lol… you buy just one after market part and next thing you know, your building a GT.
You can also always lower the spur tooth count.
I have the original Hot Racing motor mount that wasn't "big pinion friendly".
But I did get a 35T pinion on it by exchanging the stock 56T spur for a Limitless 40T. I also raised the mount 1/8 using washers.View attachment 282017View attachment 282016View attachment 282015
In hindsite though, knowing what I know now, the PPS or Scorched's Rotomount are superior options.
Nice to see others making it happen when hurtles come up, looks seeet nice job! I’ll see what my best options are but I’ll keep that in mind.
Or you can shave off the inside of your mounting plate. Enough to leave your mounting holes, yet enough to get your proper gear mesh
HAHA!!…. Like minded lol, I thought of that, I’d have to shave the top slider slit further too.. I need another 6mm-7mm by the looks of it. I know for a fact I will be needing and buying a pps mount soon I can feel it. If push comes to shove I’ll have to do that 😎 thanks 👌
View attachment 282023
Yess that’s the STUFF let’s go lol! Thanks!

Last edited:
That might be the 50 motor plate. It positions the motor further away from the diff than than the plate that comes in the Infraction/Felony. I've had the 50 plate myself and the difference where the hole for the shaft is placed on the plate is substantial.

FWIW, it has nothing to do with the diameter of the shaft. The center of the motor will still be in the same place.

25mm spacing motors = 40mm cans usually
30mm = 56 and 58mm usually

Arrma 6s Limitless V1 came 34 + 27 = 61 (for 25mm spacing motors)
Arrma 6s with 30mm spacing pattern = ?
PPS short adjuster screw 25mm bolt pattern allows = 60 -78t
PPS long adjuster screw 25mm bolt pattern allows = 71-91t
PPS short adjuster screw 30mm bolt pattern allows = 65-82t
PPS long adjuster screw 30mm bolt pattern allows = 76-96t
Scorched Rotolock 25mm bolt pattern allows = 62 to 88t
Scorched Rotolock 30mm bolt pattern allows = 72 to 88t

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken the minimum tooth count on a PPS is 61. Scorched may be the same but not sure. I had 34T spur/30T pinion on a stock mount before but anything less than 63 might be a struggle. I was using the TLR mount (black one). The Limitless mounts are different though...never tried one of those. I've got an EM Performance mount too and they sort of suggest the 50T and you can go all the way up to 48T pinions since its already lifted...but when I tried to go lower than a 46T in the center the way the mount is made I couldn't get a good mess with less than a 28T pinion. When using a bigger can like a 1717 or 4985 size the cup at the rear of the diff mount gets too close to the motor the less teeth you have since you have to keep moving it closer and closer to the mount to get mesh.
Lots of good info out here! I was almost 100% sure that my limitless could mesh a minimal 62 total tooth count but now idk if the felony mount and the limitless v1 mount are the same?..🤷‍♂️ I’m DEFINITELY looking into the motor plate bcs I don’t recall if the felony came with two plates and if I had to swap them when I put the 1717 in the felony. Thanks again🙏
That might be the 50 motor plate. It positions the motor further away from the diff than than the plate that comes in the Infraction/Felony. I've had the 50 plate myself and the difference where the hole for the shaft is placed on the plate is substantial.

FWIW, it has nothing to do with the diameter of the shaft. The center of the motor will still be in the same place.
Just a faint thought bcs I was not thinking of the two different plates so I was looking for an answer, but yess the very helpful people on here have mentioned the plates so I’m going to see what I have! Thanks again I ran appreciate all the help.

Scorched Rotolock 25mm bolt pattern allows = 66 to 94t (but I think you can go lower)
Scorched Rotolock 30mm bolt pattern allows = 72 to 90t
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out with that information! I’m going to screenshot it and save it! That is very helpful. Thanks.

Scorched Rotolock 25mm bolt pattern allows = 66 to 94t (but I think you can go lower)
Scorched Rotolock 30mm bolt pattern allows = 72 to 90t
The 50 plate has a 25mm bolt pattern but the position of the hole is totally different. I didn't take any measurements when I had it, but I'm certain that the motor is 5mm further away from the diff with the plate pushed all the way in, at minimum. The screw holes up top to lock it down are positioned further out as well. You gain quite a bit in terms of TTC with the 50 plate over stock.

This plate looks like it puts the motor close to the spur… the link does not specify if that’s the purpose of this plate or if it’s what comes on the felony or limitless or anything like that.

32C51CF6-6157-4D52-88AC-85AB35D3A055.png

AFFFCCD9-4576-4EC6-894D-2D397550FA17.jpeg

It’s the same except that mount looks like it’s just got less material on the right side. Oooh I’m about to take my grinder to it…….🥸
The 50 plate has a 25mm bolt pattern but the position of the hole is totally different. I didn't take any measurements when I had it, but I'm certain that the motor is 5mm further away from the diff with the plate pushed all the way in, at minimum. The screw holes up top to lock it down are positioned further out as well. You gain quite a bit in terms of TTC with the 50 plate over stock.
Yesss…. I’m looking at a plate on A Main but it has no real specs provided…. If I grind my plate I’ll have to also bore out the mount’s slider slit further too.. I only have a spare Kraton plate “49” but it does not fit the 6s mount obv.., so I need a stock 40 series ARRMA motors plate huh?
Nobody advertises that this plate is a 40 series plate, but I can tell by its appearance it is the one that I need. I am ordering it from Amazon because I have Amazon credit still and if there is a problem, returning the item is free, fast and easy. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 7FA32FA1-3B1E-446C-A658-26668D8C912A.png
    7FA32FA1-3B1E-446C-A658-26668D8C912A.png
    332.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
This plate looks like it puts the motor close to the spur… the link does not specify if that’s the purpose of this plate or if it’s what comes on the felony or limitless or anything like that.

View attachment 282185

View attachment 282186
It’s the same except that mount looks like it’s just got less material on the right side. Oooh I’m about to take my grinder to it…….🥸

Yesss…. I’m looking at a plate on A Main but it has no real specs provided…. If I grind my plate I’ll have to also bore out the mount’s slider slit further too.. I only have a spare Kraton plate “49” but it does not fit the 6s mount obv.., so I need a stock 40 series ARRMA motors plate huh?
Nobody advertises that this plate is a 40 series plate, but I can tell by its appearance it is the one that I need. I am ordering it from Amazon because I have Amazon credit still and if there is a problem, returning the item is free, fast and easy. Thanks guys!
It depends. I found the stock plate a bit restrictive for speed running. The 50 plate increases your TTC by a sizeable chunk, but which plate to use will depend on the use case. For bashing, drag racing and 8S speed running, the stock plate should be the right choice. The 50 plate would provide some benefit to those speed running on 3S-4S because it will afford you some extra room for running large pinion gears. Whether you're running a center diff or spool and motor KV are further considerations when trying to suss out which plate to use. There's no one size fits all answer to that question.

It depends. I found the stock plate a bit restrictive for speed running. The 50 plate increases your TTC by a sizeable chunk, but which plate to use will depend on the use case. For bashing, drag racing and 8S speed running, the stock plate should be the right choice. The 50 plate would provide some benefit to those speed running on 3S-4S because it will afford you some extra room for running large pinion gears. Whether you're running a center diff or spool and motor KV are further considerations when trying to suss out which plate to use. There's no one size fits all answer to that question.
Well it turns out the motor plate on the limitless is not the same plate that comes on the Felony/infraction, and I didn’t know that until today. Neither plate has writing on it and when I searched the web, I did find the motor plate that I was looking for, and it just says “for felony/infraction” and the only way to tell is to look at the mounting hole positioning because there’s no information printed on the motor plate itself. Some ppl refer to them as the 50 series and 40 series like you’ll find printed on the Kraton motor plates. That’s what my problem was so I ordered the other motor plate and I’m expecting it to mesh knock on wood🪵🤞

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back