Typhon TYphon TLR motor Castle vs Hobbywing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin_McCubbin

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Typhon 6s
  4. Typhon TLR
I’m looking at a motor for the Typhon TLR. I will be running it on 6S. I was looking at the Castle 1515-2200 KV or the Hobbywing XeRun 4274SD G3. I have Castle 1717-1650 KV in my Infraction & Kraton EXB 1/8. But since the Typhon is smaller I was going to go with a smaller 15 series motor. Does anyone have any experience with either or both motors?

Any Typhon runs best with a 40mm+motor can.
How are you planning on driving this TLRT?
Track, bash or speed running?
1900kv may be better for general bashing with a 6s pack for instance.

I run only 4s (HWXR8+ 2250kv combo Sensored) in my TLRT. I don't send it. I run it more like a Track rig that it is or wide open on a 1/4 mile velodrome. 22/50 gearing/58mph maxxed out full trigger for 12min runs.
The TLRT is not a great hard basher because the Pill mounts make it very delicate otherwise. Been there.
4S is perfect IMHO. And how track ready rigs are set up. (TLRT)
My spin.
Good luck.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/srcs-tlrt-typhon-build.47651/

Last edited:
Have the 1515 not in a tlrt but I do enjoy the combo n think it’s very smooth, the magnets on the 1515 seem to be very very powerful as well when spinning shaft by hand more than some bigger motors I’ve spun🧐🤷🏽‍♂️

I had the HW Max8/4274 2250KV in mines for awhile and it was damn near perfect on 6S. Loved it! Then I put the HW motor with a MMX8S and beast mode was unleashed. Practically gliding across dirt and grass. Did alot of tumbling and cartwheels with the short Typhon arms so I switched to Mojaves and it was once again almost perfection. I'd say you cant go wrong with HW if you just want to rip (like me) but combining the Castle ESC with that motor really showed me something I wasn't expecting. I'm big on tinkering so I tried a TP 4050CM 2950KV too (just for kicks). It was fast as hell of course (ran that on 4S) but that HW had way more punch to it and ran much cooler on 4S and 6S. I'd leave the TP for on road use (got kinda hot off road) but for all around use the HW motor and the TLR are a match made in heaven. The ESC choice depends on whether you're a Castle guy or a HW guy...for me combining the Castle ESC with the HW motor was top notch.

I run castle ESC’s in my RC’s. In my experience they deliver the best power and I like the Bluetooth Link to adjust the settings from my iPhone. I do not launch or jump my RC’s for the most part. I primarily bash mostly on the road. I run the rear hoons from the Arrma Felony on all 4 tires on the road which takes away about 3 mph too end vs stock tires but they last much much longer on the road and generally do not separate from the rims or need to be Re-Glued the way the off-road tires do. So I also run 16/50 gearing (stock Typhon 6SV5) so heat is generally not too much of an issue but I did add the ARRMA heat sync and cooling fan from the 6S spectrum 2050 KV motors just to be safe. I’m just wondering which motor will be more punchy and less likely to overheat.

I also run the 53/107 Hoons ( white) on my TLRT. Not my favorite at all. Maybe for drifting on pavement if anything?? :unsure:Very hard compound and widens the track a bit having a Positive Offset, more than the Wheelbase can handle. Directional Stability takes a hit. And for serious speeds probably not the best choice. Just me.
Prefer the White Hoons 42/100's. Zero Offset, Softer. Better traction. Easier to control.

I also run the 53/107 Hoons ( white) on my TLRT. Not my favorite at all. Maybe for drifting on pavement if anything?? :unsure:Very hard compound and widens the track a bit having a Positive Offset, more than the Wheelbase can handle. Directional Stability takes a hit. And for serious speeds probably not the best choice. Just me.
Prefer the White Hoons 42/100's. Zero Offset, Softer. Better traction. Easier to control.
The white 42/100 are softer than the white 53/107?

Love the castle MMX 2200kv in my TLR. Only run 4s, 20/46 gearing. Plenty quick and fast. Also run taller Mojave tires.

I have that same MMX 2200kv setup in 3 of my rigs, all only use 4s. LOVE it.

Yes, IMHO. The White 107's just don't equate to or match the White 100's at all. From my experience. The size difference changes the whole characteristic of the tire between them. Many find the stocker White 107's to be horrible on the rear of the Felony. FWIW. I don't have a Fel, just the Lim and Infr.
The white 42/100 are softer than the white 53/107?

Not sure if the Yellows are much softer. Should have gotten them instead. I'm dissapointed with the white 107's.
Horrible for speed running no doubt. Just drifting around, maybe.
The Silvers would be the better choice for dedicated drifting. Hardest compound.

https://www.arrma-rc.com/en/product...-tires-gold-17mm-hex-5-spoke-2/ARA550085.html

I noticed these PL's also. I know nothing about them. S3 compound.

https://www.prolineracing.com/produ...belted-mounted-17mm-5-spoke-2/PRO1020010.html

Last edited:
Yes, IMHO. The White 107's just don't equate to or match the White 100's at all. From my experience. The size difference changes the whole characteristic of the tire between them. Many find the stocker White 107's to be horrible on the rear of the Felony. FWIW. I don't have a Fel, just the Lim and Infr.

Not sure if the Yellows are much softer. Should have gotten them instead. I'm dissapointed with the white 107's.
Horrible for speed running no doubt. Just drifting around, maybe.
The Silvers would be the better choice for dedicated drifting. Hardest compound.

https://www.arrma-rc.com/en/product...-tires-gold-17mm-hex-5-spoke-2/ARA550085.html

I noticed these PL's also. I know nothing about them. S3 compound.

https://www.prolineracing.com/produ...belted-mounted-17mm-5-spoke-2/PRO1020010.html
Thanks. I have a set of the white 107s and totally agree with your description. Low traction at low/mid temp, take forever to heat up, and then traction still isn’t anything to write home about. Yet they’re not quite hard enough for smooth drifting. Weird tire.

PS I haven’t heard great things about those PLs. Basically more expensive without any improvement over hoons. No personal experience with them though.

Those proline tires are grippy af.

Hi,

just ordered a new TLR and find this thread.

Without further ado - which motor/controller with which gear combo would you recommend ?

I found this one:

Hobbywing Xerun XR8 Plus Combo mit 4274-2250kV 1:8

What is your opinion about this ?

EDIT: Or any other suggestion - maybe something from Castle ?! I am not in this theme for a long time so I have no experience - sorry ...

Thank you very much and with greetings from Germany

harald-hans

Hi,

Without further ado - which motor/controller with which gear combo would you recommend ?

I found this one:

EDIT: Or any other suggestion - maybe something from Castle ?! I am not in this theme for a long time so I have no experience - sorry ...

harald-hans
That XR8 combo is fantastic. Really high quality racing system. But it’s not waterproof.

My choice for a basher right now would probably be the new Max8 G2 4278 combo. It’s cheaper, waterproof, and still sensored.

Thanks. I have a set of the white 107s and totally agree with your description. Low traction at low/mid temp, take forever to heat up, and then traction still isn’t anything to write home about. Yet they’re not quite hard enough for smooth drifting. Weird tire.

PS I haven’t heard great things about those PLs. Basically more expensive without any improvement over hoons. No personal experience with them though.
Yeah the PL's are more expensive. HH owns PL now. I guess that is how PL is using the stocker Arrma wheels. Probably even made in the same factory along with the Hoons. Outsourced. They are Licensed Proxes, probably why they cost more.
I feel the 53/107's are just too Wide. Part of the problem along with the compound.

Hi,

I found this one:

harald-hans
This thread should have ended when I linked the tp motor! That was a mic drop moment and I moon walked off the stage. Do you even tp bro? 🤣. Nah but for real, I think the motor I linked would poop on everything else listed here. I also think tp motors feel smooth even without being sensored. I'd pick a tp 4050 2100kv toss in a 46t spur and 20t pinion and grow wings.

#tpfanboy4lyfe

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back