What did you break today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my threads mixed up... lol

Put what I broke in the wrong thread a couple days ago, thought I posted it here... but couldn't find it, then I put the work I did fixing it here instead of the "what did you work on" thread...

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/what-did-you-work-on-today.9619/post-465911

2020-0929-DeepwaterHorizon-notSmart.jpg

Last edited:
And... I broke something. Got the bright idea of getting a DT chassis to lower the CG a bit so it would corner better around the house. I had the MHR setup so the esc/receiver board fit inside the battery area so I could fit the larger 2S pack on the top deck with a bit of velcro. After an hour of carefully dremeling the DT chassis similarly, I got everything in, wires tucked away and everything hooked up. Before putting the covers on and installing the rest of the parts, I wanted to make sure the electrics were hooked up and working right... turned on, servo worked, forward worked, reverse let the smoke out within 2 seconds. Melted one of the wires right off the board to the motor and fried a fet:
2021-0208-microT-Losi-LOSB9524-FriedFet-4502GM.jpg

After scouring the internet trying to find a replacement board for 4 hours came up empty, I looked at the fet's under a magnifying glass and after spending another 3 hours on the internet, only found them via ebay from China. Ordered 4 of them.

Then remembered I still had the AM brushed board somewhere and thought I'd look to see what it had... it had the same fets, but only 2 of them. I'd never use that board again, so I removed one and transplanted it... wow are my eye's old and hands shaky!
2021-0209-microT-Losi-LOSB9524-FriedFet-4502GM-Repaired.jpg

Crossed my fingers and powered it up. Servo worked, forward worked, reverse did nothing and no brake... so, wasted $14 on ebay for 3 of the fets that will maybe show up someday and 2 hours of soldering/swearing...

Found a 20A forward/reverse esc on amazon, 2 for $16. Got one of them installed with an old orange spektrum knock off receiver board I took out of the case. The receiver had range issues, but this thing will never go more than 50 feet from me. Took me another 5 hours to get it all put in, removed/resoldered some of the wires as they were really long and I didn't want to have to shoehorn 2 feet of wire in the battery bay along with the esc and receiver. A bit more dremeling and I got it to fit.
2021-0210-MicroT-Generic20AmpBrushedESC-installedNoCover.jpg

2021-0210-MicroT-Generic20AmpBrushedESC-installedSpurSide.jpg

Need to see if I can modify the spur cover to fit like I did on the MHR to avoid hair/fuzz getting wound up in it. Only ran half a pack through it last night and it seemed to work fine, just don't have brakes... it's forward or reverse.

Also used a piece of the old probodyrc body flashing to make a rear body mount for the MHR body as I can't find a DT body for it either...

Good times...

For those that don't know the size of these things, this is it in the MHR chassis (similar length to the DT chassis) next to a 3660 motor and 4074 motor:
2019-1123-MicroT-Top.jpg
Those are a lot smaller than I thought.

I did that a few weeks ago, got this thread mixed up with the what did you work on today, luckily I'm a mod so I deleted it lol

So if someone wanted to buy one of these what model would you recommend? I really like the look of the Micro T and the Rally.
None... losi discontinued them a while ago and parts are hard to come by now, even aftermarket. The micro-t forum died too, which had a lot of info about them. I don't know why they dropped the entire 1/32 line, but they did. Now if you want parts support, all I'm finding are Kyosho Mini-Z stuff, which is pricey and a few others. Most the stuff I'm finding in the 1/32 size are just toys.

None... losi discontinued them a while ago and parts are hard to come by now, even aftermarket. The micro-t forum died too, which had a lot of info about them. I don't know why they dropped the entire 1/32 line, but they did. Now if you want parts support, all I'm finding are Kyosho Mini-Z stuff, which is pricey and a few others. Most the stuff I'm finding in the 1/32 size are just toys.
Maybe I'll just get one of these things https://www.banggood.com/Turbo-Raci...ys-p-1743740.html?cur_warehouse=CN&ID=6287837
Or this https://www.banggood.com/Wltoys-K98...cles-RTR-Model-p-980187.html?cur_warehouse=CN

The 1/76 one is pretty slow. Kind of meant for table top use, so on a big hardwood floor, it would probably seem very slow. For me, I have the micro-sct which is "1/28" and it's too big/fast for the apartment. It just sits on a shelf. I got it used and the shocks leaked out all the oil, tires are kind of bald. If I had about twice the open floor space I currently have, it would probably be ok.

The 1/76 one is pretty slow. Kind of meant for table top use, so on a big hardwood floor, it would probably seem very slow. For me, I have the micro-sct which is "1/28" and it's too big/fast for the apartment. It just sits on a shelf. I got it used and the shocks leaked out all the oil, tires are kind of bald. If I had about twice the open floor space I currently have, it would probably be ok.
I think the 1/76 one would be a good fit for my area, it is only like 3 feet wide and 6s feet long.

Nothing but not for the lack of opportunity. I am now a firm believer of the wing support mod.

I had one of the worst possible landings on the rear. Lost power mid-air and about 15ft high. Landed butt first and I was sure my wingmount would be history but wait!

This is how it looked right after the landing:
Those are RPM wingmounts, I believe that stock would have shattered.
20210220_123452.jpg

and with a nudge it snapped back into this:
20210220_123511.jpg

One rod a little bend and that was it! I guess I could go to the steel version, this is stainless threaded rod but I'm happy.
I did pop out a support arm on another bad landing but that is easily fixed and preventable. My new go-to mod. I did add larger support where I bolted through the wing. I'll change those to large black washers going forward.

Back