What did you break today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then you will likely have to reinforce the wire beyond the solder joint as it causes a stiff spot in the copper wire which will work harden and break as the wire moves/vibrates when bashing.
Agree. And specifically the position of these wires of this esc is such that it may rub against the servo. The integrity of the soldering may fail and worst case scenario, you lose esc power while bashing. Epic fail.
Might have to consider a new esc. A light delicate soldering job nonetheless may reduce wire rigidity. Fine tip. Lead solder vs silver if possible.More workable. No pre-tinning. Load the tip lightly and hit the wire. Quick. You have one shot at each wire. Liquid tape is your friend. Mess one up. Buy a new esc.

Last edited:
Agree. And specifically the position of these wires of this esc is such that it may rub against the servo. The integrity of the soldering may fail and worst case scenario, you lose esc power while bashing. Epic fail.
Might have to consider a new esc. A light delicate soldering job nonetheless may reduce wire rigidity. Fine tip. Lead solder vs silver if possible.More workable. No pre-tinning. Load the tip lightly and hit the wire. Quick. You have one shot at each wire. Mess one up. Buy a new esc.
The way it looks, I'll have to open it up so I can attach a new bottom half with an older piece from a burnt 185. Crazy thing is, I have a brand new one I'm trying to sell from a kit I'm parting out. I promised myself I wouldn't use any of the parts to maximize the little bit of profit there is. I'll give the sale one more week and if it isn't gone, its going in. I won't get to working on the severed one before then anyways. Thanks for all the tips and to @olds97_lss as well.

@Notorious J ... I was going to say get the esc and open it up, but you all beat me to it.. damn you, world time difference..??

Other than that you'll have to get a new one from Jonny's Rc, whoops I mean Jenny's Rc..?

My tip is always try to use velcro or double sided tape underneath the esc as 2nd line of defence..??

I use both of these depending on application, they are both awesome..??

https://www.sanojtape.com/products/mounting-tape/acrylic-foam-tape/

And/or

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/polyester-hook-and-loop-peel-n-stick-black-1-meter.html?wrh_pdp=2

Last edited:
That sucks notorious but I think it can be saved. As far as the little screw tabs you don’t need them both of them are broken on my vehicles all I did was use silicone and a zip tie. You can feed the zip tie underneath the esc mounting plate. I used 30min shower ready silicone I think it also helps preserve the life of the fans. My fans have been going on for awhile now I also silicone or glue the soldering connections on my fans

That sucks notorious but I think it can be saved. As far as the little screw tabs you don’t need them both of them are broken on my vehicles all I did was use silicone and a zip tie. You can feed the zip tie underneath the esc mounting plate. I used 30min shower ready silicone I think it also helps preserve the life of the fans. My fans have been going on for awhile now I also silicone or glue the soldering connections on my fans
Agree with WTFMIKE Notorious. We’ve been using this technique for quite some time with positive results. Broken tabs on Outcast stock esc.

Attachments

• B446A125-642C-4BF6-997E-1264735424CD.jpeg
    B446A125-642C-4BF6-997E-1264735424CD.jpeg
    376.1 KB · Views: 49
@Notorious J ... I was going to say get the esc and open it up, but you all beat me to it.. damn you, world time difference..??

Other than that you'll have to get a new one from Jonny's Rc, whoops I mean Jenny's Rc..?

My tip is always try to use velcro or double sided tape underneath the esc as 2nd line of defence..??

And/or

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/polyester-hook-and-loop-peel-n-stick-black-1-meter.html?wrh_pdp=2
Nothing like 3 feet of 3 inch wide velcro for $5.

3m

And/or

Just curious.
How do you open up the BLX185 if it is "potted" during the Mfr. process? (waterproofed)
Opening it up would be a destructive disassembly. I examined mine. Aside from changing several fans out by removing the fan shroud, I could not see how to open it up further. Heatsink sits on the power transisors that sits on the main board. I see it all potted together into the lower half case.
I could be wrong?
I am willing to learn something new.:)

Not in Canada
Okay so 1 meter by 75mm for $5.84 plus shipping.
I think in order to get free shipping from the international warehouse you have to buy $100 worth of stuff though ?

@WTF MIKE and @Lorenzo_arrma_army, the issue isn't how to hold it down, the wire to the receiver is cut almost right outside the esc. Gotta determine if I can fix it first. Thanks for the suggestions just the same. @SrC, good point, but if I can get it working for the short term, I'll use liquid tape for a temporary seal and try to stay dry.

@WTF MIKE and @Lorenzo_arrma_army, the issue isn't how to hold it down, the wire to the receiver is cut almost right outside the esc. Gotta determine if I can fix it first. Thanks for the suggestions just the same. @SrC, good point, but if I can get it working for the short term, I'll use liquid tape for a temporary seal and try to stay dry.
Since it's considered "destroyed" now anyway, may as well cut out a chunk of the esc plastic case wider than the 3 wire lead and down to see if you can get a bit more wire to work with. If it's potted in the case, then odds are, the epoxy or whatever was used may be adhered to the case. At least then you may get a tad more to work with. If your really light with a dremel and cutting disk, you can remove some of that to see.

Absolutely try. If you get 10 more packs of use on that esc you are golden. Liquid tape is waterproof. Several thin applications, let dry for several hours. It tends to open up and crack easier if not dry enough. Liquid tape appears to dry faster than it really does. Been there. LT has saved me many times in similar scenarios.

So now that the esc situation is all patched up, I guess I should deal with this. It's been holding all summer, but since I'm working on it, what the hell. Upper pin mount is hanging by a thread. Spare already in hand. Steering rack needs a little loving too, so I'll get it all cleaned up while it's out.

Attachments

• 15653248013731712685038689829531.jpg
    15653248013731712685038689829531.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 15653248268286389075467201068965.jpg
    15653248268286389075467201068965.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 41
I don't understand any of this.

I have terrible landings with my Senton and it just shakes it off.
I try to do speed runs with the Typhon and I end up losing power while braking (thinking I hit thermal) and plow into a curb.

At least the new tires look good.

Front chassis brace is bent, top plate is bowed up, the ackerman plate I just replaced is bent, all the bottom screws are stripped on the diff case, bumper is trashed, the chassis also seems bent more than normal, both front hinge pin braces are likely write offs, the hinge pins are probably garbage too, and just because that list wasn't enough, I damaged a battery too.

I think I'll just start lighting money on fire.

Hit 95.1 MPH on a short run before this happened. Was pretty happy about that.

Damn thats almost as bad as when my car took off by itself, and into a parked car, the second time i drove it...only i broke the front diff and snapped the front of the chassis too.
tenor (1).gif

Shredded the wing off my Outcast 6s (I think it just came off but didn't break), due to bad landings and broke my front A arms on my granite at the same time (ordered RPM front A arms). The granite damage was mostly done BC I didn't see a whole bunch of huge rocks hidden in the grass. I think that I'll keep the wing off my Outcast.

Back