What I learned today at the LHS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon NC RC

Keep it fun......SEND IT
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Mojave
  4. Senton 3s
Went to Hobbytown in Johnson City Tennessee today for the first time (it’s an hour to go to Asheville where we used to live for about 20 years…..have went to Asheville Hobbytown several times…..good group of folks there, btw) and , it is now an hour to Johnson City location of Hobbytown from where we live now……

What did I learn?

They are super nice folks there as well…..not pushy….one fellow really knew his stuff about RC’s, but wasn’t arrogant about it 👍

They have a great selection of stuff

I learned for the first time how heavy an Outcast 8S BLX weighs when you try to pick it up when you have only messed with 6S before

MIP drivers may cost some money BUT they are WORTH IT (brought some home with me)

You do feel a sense of accomplishment by leaving without spending $5,000

IF YOU LIVE NEAR JOHNSON CITY…… Hobbytown has a MANICURED TRACK next door to it… less than a minute walk from the front door, and…..
if there aren’t any races scheduled (usually not a problem)….AND
its not raining……..
For $5 you can have the use of the track for as much of that day as you want (comply with business hours, that is…..)

now what kind of deal is that, folks!!!??

but please, CHECK WITH THEM for availability…..and….
its not a huge track, GREAT for 2,3, and 4s…..6S is definitely maxed for the course….

So…….all in all, the LHS has put out a LOT for us Hobby people. So, even though I have relied on the Internet for much of my business, especially because I live out in the middle of nowhere…… I learned today that I would like to support my Local Hobby Shop by giving them some business from time to time….if you can do the same, please do……

THANX

Went to Hobbytown in Johnson City Tennessee today for the first time (it’s an hour to go to Asheville where we used to live for about 20 years…..have went to Asheville Hobbytown several times…..good group of folks there, btw) and , it is now an hour to Johnson City location of Hobbytown from where we live now……

What did I learn?

They are super nice folks there as well…..not pushy….one fellow really knew his stuff about RC’s, but wasn’t arrogant about it 👍

They have a great selection of stuff

I learned for the first time how heavy an Outcast 8S BLX weighs when you try to pick it up when you have only messed with 6S before

MIP drivers may cost some money BUT they are WORTH IT (brought some home with me)

You do feel a sense of accomplishment by leaving without spending $5,000

IF YOU LIVE NEAR JOHNSON CITY…… Hobbytown has a MANICURED TRACK next door to it… less than a minute walk from the front door, and…..
if there aren’t any races scheduled (usually not a problem)….AND
its not raining……..
For $5 you can have the use of the track for as much of that day as you want (comply with business hours, that is…..)

now what kind of deal is that, folks!!!??

but please, CHECK WITH THEM for availability…..and….
its not a huge track, GREAT for 2,3, and 4s…..6S is definitely maxed for the course….

So…….all in all, the LHS has put out a LOT for us Hobby people. So, even though I have relied on the Internet for much of my business, especially because I live out in the middle of nowhere…… I learned today that I would like to support my Local Hobby Shop by giving them some business from time to time….if you can do the same, please do……

THANX
Oh wow! That’s only 45 minutes from us 😃 thank you for the heads up! Did you get any pictures of the track perhaps? Please post a few if you did. Thanks you!!
Oh wow! That’s only 45 minutes from us 😃 thank you for the heads up! Did you get any pictures of the track perhaps? Please post a few if you did. Thanks you!!
😣 Dang…just noticed the Tennessee part. Johnson city Texas is what I’m close to. Shucks.

Sorry, no, I didn’t….
I do plan on taking the Senton BLX V3, my TRX4 with 2 speed tranny, and Xinlehong 9125 2s 4wd
and he Mojave……honestl, it may be a tad small for the Mojave…..but good jumps and a very high bank 180 degree turn….. also….I have used the athletic fiends next to the Freedom Center for our bigger rigs…..8ft drop off between fields, can jump off or ramp up…..a blast both ways…..check it out if you are in town!!!

but…..how is San Antonio Texas 45 minutes from Johnson City Tennessee?

😣 Dang…just noticed the Tennessee part. Johnson city Texas is what I’m close to. Shucks.
Well…..make a ROAD TRIP!!! 🥴🤠🤡
My GF was born in Johnson City, TN
Tell her that you love her and you want to go back to her roots to learn more about her…..🤡

Last edited:
Ah I'm jealous, my LHS is basically dead and only carries shadow stock.
Probably doesn't help they were beyond unhelpful, neither me nor my family go there anymore because of their attitude.
Sucks because yeah, it will be a little pricier, but at least you can pick up the part you need there and then.

Ah I'm jealous, my LHS is basically dead and only carries shadow stock.
Probably doesn't help they were beyond unhelpful, neither me nor my family go there anymore because of their attitude.
Sucks because yeah, it will be a little pricier, but at least you can pick up the part you need there and then.
Well, sorry that’s the case…….sucky attitude and service will ruin any business….

Iv been to the the hobbytown in columbia sc.The main guy there was arrogant. He had a xmaxx that he claimed would do 96 mph stock tires .The outher two had no idea what mugen shims where.The store was poorly stocked with mainly traxass stuff.Looked at some of the work they do and the solder jobs looked like it was done with a stick welder. Have not been back in a year nor will i ever go back. Only thing was cool was indoor carpet track was having a race nxt door🤔

Iv been to the the hobbytown in columbia sc.The main guy there was arrogant. He had a xmaxx that he claimed would do 96 mph stock tires .The outher two had no idea what mugen shims where.The store was poorly stocked with mainly traxass stuff.Looked at some of the work they do and the solder jobs looked like it was done with a stick welder. Have not been back in a year nor will i ever go back. Only thing was cool was indoor carpet track was having a race nxt door🤔
Believe me, not endorsing any brand or business label, just so happens to be a Hobbytown I went to today, it’s the only flavor of Hobby store short of Charlotte…… wanted to relate the good experience I had today……

Been through Columbia many times for travel and Gamecocks football…never been to a hobby shop there, but from what you said there is one that doesn’t have to worry about me spending my money there…..

but I would like to see that X go that fast even with modifications……maybe he meant kilometers per hour…😹

Last edited:
I like Hobbytown in Boise. Just like you said, they are a good bunch of guys.
There was even one lady working there that I wanted to take home with us but the wife said no. ;)
I plead the 5th

Believe me, not endorsing any brand or business label, just so happens to be a Hobbytown I went to today, it’s the only flavor of Hobby store short of Charlotte…… wanted to relate the good experience I had today……

Been through Columbia many times for travel and Gamecocks football…never been to a hobby shop there, but from what you said there is one that doesn’t have to worry about me spending my money there…..
Iv ben to other hobbytowns and they were good. Maybe when i come up to maggie valley we can meetup n bash. 🤷‍♂️

Sorry, no, I didn’t….
I do plan on taking the Senton BLX V3, my TRX4 with 2 speed tranny, and Xinlehong 9125 2s 4wd
and he Mojave……honestl, it may be a tad small for the Mojave…..but good jumps and a very high bank 180 degree turn….. also….I have used the athletic fiends next to the Freedom Center for our bigger rigs…..8ft drop off between fields, can jump off or ramp up…..a blast both ways…..check it out if you are in town!!!

Tell her that you love her and you want to go back to her roots to learn more about her…..🤡
Yeah I just got excited when I saw Johnson city , T…and missed the ‘N’ 🙃
There is nothing around here that I can find durn it. Alamo city hobby used to have a track. There used to be an open BMX track 10 min away. COVID shut them down.

Nice to hear that you have a good Hobbytown. The one local to me is pretty worthless. All the parts are located behind the counter and if the workers aren't too busy working on their own cars or running them then they'll offer a half hearted attempt to help you find what you are looking for. I pretty much have to check the online website to see if an item is in stock before "bothering" them to help retrieve it.

Nice to hear that you have a good Hobbytown. The one local to me is pretty worthless. All the parts are located behind the counter and if the workers aren't too busy working on their own cars or running them then they'll offer a half hearted attempt to help you find what you are looking for. I pretty much have to check the online website to see if an item is in stock before "bothering" them to help retrieve it.
Agreed☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

Sorry, no, I didn’t….

She still has family in Jonesboro

She still has family in Jonesboro
Sooooo…….plan a family reunion/speed run/ hobby shop spending spree/ learn-about-your-gf trip !!

come on down and bash with me and @TriggerHappy

AND

I WILL BUY AN 8S (stock) rig if YOU DO !!

then 2 of us will turn to the DARK SIDE!!

darth vader fist shake GIF

you knew it was coming,,,,,,,,

I like Hobbytown in Boise. Just like you said, they are a good bunch of guys.
There was even one lady working there that I wanted to take home with us but the wife said no. ;)
Wives can be so unyeilding sometimes. :unsure:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back