What is your RC LiPo of choice in 2022

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand.. you can't help it!! HaHa
I'm curious, so what can you do if the IR readings are not satisfactory? Can't change it can you? I guess it's possible to swap a bad cell, but for bashing? Maybe it's just something to do? IDK I'm at the other end..just blissfully running my cheapo packs without a care..😜🤣🤣🍻
:ROFLMAO: At this point, it’s pure data collection, but my hope is, over time, I’ll be able to spot trends or tendencies between battery types, mfgs, etc…. or maybe, more importantly, spot one going bad and pull it out of service before it causes trouble. 🤷‍♂️ Good question, time will tell, but I do have a serious penchant for logging things anyway.

IR doesn't affect anything other than heat production and voltage sag. So if the performance of the lipo is still satisfactory (voltage is not dipping too low during use or triggering LVC super early), and the lipo isn't getting too hot in the way you're using it, then i'd still use it.

What does get challenging is when you have a lipo with one cell that is significantly higher than the others. Those are less predictable for when it could fail.
Yep. Batteries very much follow the "only as strong as the weakest link" principle. If one cell is weak, then your battery is weak no matter how good the other cells are.

IR doesn't affect anything other than heat production and voltage sag. So if the performance of the lipo is still satisfactory (voltage is not dipping too low during use or triggering LVC super early), and the lipo isn't getting too hot in the way you're using it, then i'd still use it.

What does get challenging is when you have a lipo with one cell that is significantly higher than the others. Those are less predictable for when it could fail.
Soo..it sounds like it's just something to do then? I mean, every time you run a battery you're effectively "testing" it? When it goes south, you're tossing it. Well, after cutting the plug and leads off of course..can't waste those? Well, I can't anyway, things get expensive!! LOL.

Soo..it sounds like it's just something to do then? I mean, every time you run a battery you're effectively "testing" it? When it goes south, you're tossing it. Well, after cutting the plug and leads off of course..can't waste those? Well, I can't anyway, things get expensive!! LOL.
I test IR more often on batteries that I know are closer to 🔥
It's easier for me with the hota d6+ since it gives you IR readout everytime you charge. But with my old b6ac, i would run the internal resistance option on new batteries once or twice at the beginning and then maybe every half a dozen runs. Increasing frequency as i saw IR rise.

More than anything I just use it to find out when I think the battery shouldn't be used anymore. I've got two pairs of SMC lipos. I wouldn't have known the IR was crazy high on one unless I did an IR check. Randomly did one once after it was done charging and saw it was like 30 mOhms on one cell and 8 and 9 mOhms on the others. So i pulled it off the charger (was doing 1c charging) and the battery was very warm to the touch! From charging! So i haven't used it since.

Cool. I just don't want to risk it with batteries that have an IR resistance like the ones on these pictures. I talked to PW about my issues, and since the warranty expired a while back (more than a year) on all my batteries, they offered to sell me two $100C 4s 8000mah batteries for $100 shipped. So I'm going to do that. I'll try to take care of these even more. That's why I really like PW. They have sent me brand new batteries before when they went bad before the one year warranty expired. The IR on the batteries is on the B channel. All I know is that when the last battery went up in smoke, it would also trigger the LVC before, so I'm scared when that happened again with these two batteries, and the only thing I see wrong is the IR resistance on these things. Same thing with the smaller PW battery. It had a like a value of 5 in one cell and 20 in the other (2s lipo). It would trigger the LVC.

IMG_20221117_092543.jpg

IMG_20221117_093044.jpg

Cool. I just don't want to risk it with batteries that have an IR resistance like the ones on these pictures. I talked to PW about my issues, and since the warranty expired a while back (more than a year) on all my batteries, they offered to sell me two $100C 4s 8000mah batteries for $100 shipped. So I'm going to do that. I'll try to take care of these even more. That's why I really like PW. They have sent me brand new batteries before when they went bad before the one year warranty expired. The IR on the batteries is on the B channel. All I know is that when the last battery went up in smoke, it would also trigger the LVC before, so I'm scared when that happened again with these two batteries, and the only thing I see wrong is the IR resistance on these things. Same thing with the smaller PW battery. It had a like a value of 5 in one cell and 20 in the other (2s lipo). It would trigger the LVC.

View attachment 256791

View attachment 256792
Ooof. Yeah i personally wouldn't run that 7000. That is a crazy spread of IR. The 8000 i might personally repurpose for another low duty use (for example, for me I might still use the 8000 in my Tekno SCT410 that I run on 4s for bashing). The IR for the 8000 is generally high on all of the cells (except one), which IMO makes me feel better than one cell being super high like the 7000.

But if you're getting a good deal on replacement, that sounds like the best option :cool:

Ooof. Yeah i personally wouldn't run that 7000. That is a crazy spread of IR. The 8000 i might personally repurpose for another low duty use (for example, for me I might still use the 8000 in my Tekno SCT410 that I run on 4s for bashing). The IR for the 8000 is generally high on all of the cells (except one), which IMO makes me feel better than one cell being super high like the 7000.

But if you're getting a good deal on replacement, that sounds like the best option :cool:
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe I can use the 8000mah on something like my Outcast 6s. Or my Sketer. It's too big for my Hybrid Typhon. Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, the 7000MAH is definitely a fire starter. It did OK when I ran it on 70% power on my X-Maxx if I drove around not crazy. Like starting out slow, but you see how the other 7000MAH ended. I'm actually going to start running my X-Maxx on 70% throttle because it just heats up batteries way too much full power. Even on 70% power, I saw 140F on one of the batteries, but I think it was on the high resistance 8000mah one. I get 43MPH with 70% power and the motor hits around 160F with 35/50 gearing (Max 5 and 5687). Slowly I'm getting away from insane speeds and bashing. It's just not sustainable long term. Unless you have a sponsor or are making a whole bunch of money off YT. For regular folks, it will destroy your wallet. Unless you have a whole bunch of money in the bank. I don't 😅

Unless you have a whole bunch of money in the bank. I don't
Me either, which is the reason I run stock rigs on a little track, in my little kingdom!! LOL
Sure I'd love to go see what 150mph is like, or 150ft long jump..just not the world I'm livin in..
I enjoy living vicariously through those that do have the means tho!!🍻😎

Look what happened when I pushed that “InfraRed” 😂 button on my charger. This is with battery in storage mode. I assume this is healthy?

View attachment 256798
IR can vary by quite a bit depending on the temperature of the batteries. The warmer they are, the lower the IR is going to be. That's why speed runners and pro racers will warm their batteries. IR will also vary with the quality of the cells. This is one of the reasons for the high prices of premium packs like SMC-SRDs and ONYX packs. 10mΩ is fine for a bashing pack. A favorable takeaway is that all cells read the same IR.

Oh no, I’m throwing this smut away pronto! :ROFLMAO:
Like I said before, I'm such a meathead, I have no idea what those numbers mean..but, I'm guessing since all 3 cells read the same, it's good? Call me stupid, but I'm going to ignore all this IR measurements and data logging cuz I'm already easily distracted..can't get into all that🤪😜
IR can vary by quite a bit depending on the temperature of the batteries. The warmer they are, the lower the IR is going to be. That's why speed runners and pro racers will warm their batteries. IR will also vary with the quality of the cells. This is one of the reasons for the high prices of premium packs like SMC-SRDs and ONYX packs. 10mΩ is fine for a bashing pack. A favorable takeaway is that all cells read the same IR.
I'm hoping you're not talking about Duratrax onyx as high end? I had a few of those packs about 10 years ago, they were okay, but the Turnigy packs of the same era seemed better and cheaper. Maybe things have changed?

Slowly I'm getting away from insane speeds and bashing. It's just not sustainable long term. Unless you have a sponsor or are making a whole bunch of money off YT. For regular folks, it will destroy your wallet. Unless you have a whole bunch of money in the bank. I don't

You can sink so much money into this hobby. I keep all my stuff pretty much stock and live vicariously through Youtube, ha. I only have so much time and money and personally prefer having a selection of stock models rather than a few built up monsters. Mad props to people doing the crazy stuff, but I'm not looking to keep up with the Joneses in that department.

You can sink so much money into this hobby. I keep all my stuff pretty much stock and live vicariously through Youtube, ha. I only have so much time and money and personally prefer having a selection of stock models rather than a few built up monsters. Mad props to people doing the crazy stuff, but I'm not looking to keep up with the Joneses in that department.
Different strokes for different folks. I can understand both positions. I went the "one massively build up rig" route and haven't regretted it yet.

Yep, me too. I have about a dozen rigs, mostly stock. I upgrade typically after breaking the same part twice(or more) when an upgrade is available. I like being able to put it away and grab another when one breaks.
I also love making my own upgrades, or adopting parts from my parts bins..

Look what happened when I pushed that “InfraRed” 😂 button on my charger. This is with battery in storage mode. I assume this is healthy?

View attachment 256798
Yeah I would run those packs all day. As long as they aren't getting super warm when you run them, then they aren't being taxed enough to pose a problem, IMO.

Even if they were at 20 mOHms, if they were all at the same IR -- if the packs aren't getting too warm, I'd personally run them (y)
And IR can vary with voltage.

I'll notice the IR at lower voltage is much higher, then by the time the packs finish charging or storage charging, they are at much more reasonable ranges.

This is the 2022 version of the "What is your RC LiPo battery of choice"... yeah it's March and I'm a little late, but it's better than never. ;) :D

Since RC LiPo companies come and go and RC LiPo batteries technologies are constantly changing and improving. We are doing an annual thread and what to know what you thank are the best RC LiPo batteries. Tell us which LiPo batteries have offered you the best performance, lifespan and price.

If you're looking for suggestions on a lipo charger, be sure to read Recommend me a battery charger. If you're unsure about how to store a LiPo battery, then check out How to store a LiPo battery.

If you're curious, you can get the previous 2021 LiPo battery recommendations.

That said, what are the best RC LiPo batteries for 2022?
Got 2 of these when I bought my savvy XS 3 weeks ago.
2S 6700 Mah 70c.
Paid €69,95 for each of them.
Probably will get me some spektrum packs when I am gonna pick up my talion saturday
20221115_175334.jpg

I've learned what I enjoy doing. Unfortunately for my wallet, that usually consists of launching something at 50mph off of something and trying to land properly. Some vehicles won't do that very well regardless what you spend on them. I find that out... then stop driving them and sell them off... or use them for smaller stuff before I break out the trucks that can do it repeatedly without much issue. :)

Turns out, I'm my own "Joneses". lol!

I've learned what I enjoy doing. Unfortunately for my wallet, that usually consists of launching something at 50mph off of something and trying to land properly. Some vehicles won't do that very well regardless what you spend on them. I find that out... then stop driving them and sell them off... or use them for smaller stuff before I break out the trucks that can do it repeatedly without much issue. :)

Turns out, I'm my own "Joneses". lol!
Good for you my man👍🍻 I have seen a couple vids you've shared, as well as some of your builds, great stuff!! 😎😁🍻

Back