What is your RC LiPo of choice in 2022

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Extraordinarily expensive batteries for a c low c rating. I would expect a $150 4s batter to produce wild discharge rates and higher mah.
As there is no generally accepted method of determining C-rates, these values don't really mean anything and are, as such, largely a marketing term.
This was my pull on CHNL 4S 5000 g+plus
View attachment 252522
View attachment 252523

And this was just swapping to my Azure 4S 6200
View attachment 252524View attachment 252525
Nice. Just out of curiosity, how do they compare to the SRDs?

Extraordinarily expensive batteries for a c low c rating. I would expect a $150 4s batter to produce wild discharge rates and higher mah.

Yeah, unfortunately the market has manipulated many into thinking that those numbers are a true indication to the battery’s capabilities.

I’m not going to inflate the C rating to be a marketing gimmick. I think this battery will speak for itself.

We’ve seen this even within brands such as CHNL.. many know the gplus 70c series to produce more power than the CHNL 90c series made for speedrunning.

I’m currently battling this in my sales.. I forget how big psychology plays a factor into the things we purchase.
As there is no generally accepted method of determining C-rates, these values don't really mean anything and are, as such, largely a marketing term.

Nice. Just out of curiosity, how do they compare to the SRDs?

I don’t have any 4S SRDs to compare it to.. but when the 3S batteries arrive Im gonna definitely gonna test it because Im curious as well!

I’m pretty excited about these batteries.. my timing couldn’t be worse as everyone’s speedrun season is ending. But lucky for me in California.. it’s all year round.

These are the Azure 4S1P 8000mAh and they fit well in the V1 Limitless stock battery trays
F51E1CFC-1FA3-4513-9A98-D8BBF74F188B.jpeg

BC091A58-3234-4559-9A62-542D55459233.jpeg

I’m hoping to get a really good pass on them this Sunday. For now I’m gonna try to cycle these in a few times to get the juices flowing.

I took some readings of the IR from the Spektrum charger but I doubt it’s accurate. But it does give a baseline comparison on how it stacks up to the SRD 8k V1. Batteries are the same temps as they were stored with each in other in the same spot. Probably gonna order a ESR meter and temp gun soon.
35D08E4A-9884-4A04-816B-3294D9ECE1DD.jpeg

C77C27F1-4D87-480C-A17A-93E8C1ABE67A.jpeg

5EFC04A3-A649-44E5-AAFB-52A0DE34F40B.jpeg

I bought some Zees 4s 5200mah 100C in November last year (almost a year now) for my Maxx V2 running stock gearing. I always storage charge and balance charged them. They get puffy and now my truck hits LVC when the battery still has 70%, so not the best experience. The one year warranty is still valid, so I'll see if they help me out. Powerhobby has been great with their warranty. I have a 6s Zee 6000MAH that puffs when I use it on my hybrid TYphon 6s and Mojave EXB. Not the strongest batteries out there IMHO.

Internal battery resistance on both of my batteries that are bad. From 5 to 18. Is that good? 18 sounds too high no? Not sure

20221108_165251.jpg

So resistence is too high? What's the number we are looking for? Thanks. Just read up on it. So the normal numbers are 2-6 correct?

I was being a little dramatic, but when you're approaching 20 milliohms it's time to start thinking about retirement. You have a pretty wide range of readings, the cells with higher resistance will heat up faster and provide less current.

Generally speaking up to 15 milliohms is "ok". I start paying attention above that, but really 20 milliohms is probably the end of the road.

At the end of the day, I prefer to err on the side of caution, personally.

I was being a little dramatic, but when you're approaching 20 milliohms it's time to start thinking about retirement. You have a pretty wide range of readings, the cells with higher resistance will heat up faster and provide less current.

Generally speaking up to 15 milliohms is "ok". I start paying attention above that, but really 20 milliohms is probably the end of the road.

At the end of the day, I prefer to err on the side of caution, personally.
Cool thanks. These are toast anyways. They only last 5 minutes fully charged, despite being fully charged, they trigger the LVC on different vehicles, so I one it's the batteries. I still don't get why they couldn't take the Maxx 4s V2 with stock gearing and regular size tires? Always storage charged them and balance charged them every time. They are almost a year old. They would get very hot (around 135F) and puff. 100C rated? I doubt that is correct or even close to that.

Last edited:
I'm always careful on these values, as each charger is coming up with their own values.
As long as they are relatively even across all cells.

In your case, 1 cell (18) is too far away from the low 11. I bet your balance cycle takes a while and your runtime has decreased since you had them.
The other is even worse 16 vs 7, that one is trash.

My guess, they all started out around 6 or 7mOhm.
These packs are old and tired, used and abused. Backup only, but still ok to use.

I'm always careful on these values, as each charger is coming up with their own values.
As long as they are relatively even across all cells.

In your case, 1 cell (18) is too far away from the low 11. I bet your balance cycle takes a while and your runtime has decreased since you had them.
The other is even worse 16 vs 7, that one is trash.

My guess, they all started out around 6 or 7mOhm.
These packs are old and tired, used and abused. Backup only, but still ok to use.
So almost a year old is considered old? Abused? Well I do jump the Maxx. Maybe I'm asking for too much? Hehe. Is that the normal for bashing? A year and that's it? I even put gorilla tape around the them. They still look new on the outside for thats reason. Yeah, it would take a while to get them to balance. I've heard of people having lipos for like 3 years, but the way that they drive and bash is very conservative, like the RC sailors 😁

So almost a year old is considered old? Abused? Well I do jump the Maxx. Maybe I'm asking for too much? Hehe. Is that the normal for bashing? A year and that's it? I even put gorilla tape around the them. They still look new on the outside for thats reason. Yeah, it would take a while to get them to balance.
"Old" is determined more by charge cycles than it is by age. You can leave a new lipo laying around for a long time and when you go to use it, it will, essentially, still be new.

"Old" is determined more by charge cycles than it is by age. You can leave a new lipo laying around for a long time and when you go to use it, it will, essentially, still be new.
I don't know the exact number, but it's got to be somewhere around 20-30 cycles.

I don't know the exact number, but it's got to be somewhere around 20-30 cycles.
That's all? That's not very many for how out of whack the cells are. One of the G-Ace 3S packs I bought with my Infraction almost two years ago has >50 cycles on it and, at room temperature, the cells are between 5.5-5.9mΩ. When warmed up they're between 2.5-2.8mΩ. Something's not right. Either the readings on that charger are way off or something about how you're charging/discharging is wonky. This is just my gut instinct, but those IR readings are odd to me for such little use.

And for completeness, how well you've taken care of the batteries as far as charge/discharge/storage.
Absolutely. I was just speaking in generalities, but you're definitely right. Those "details" are at least as or more important.

That's all? That's not very many for how out of whack the cells are. One of the G-Ace 3S packs I bought with my Infraction almost two years ago has >50 cycles on it and, at room temperature, the cells are between 5.5-5.9mΩ. When warmed up they're between 2.5-2.8mΩ. Something's not right. Either the readings on that charger are way off or something about how you're charging/discharging is wonky. This is just my gut instinct, but those IR readings are odd to me for such little use.
I'd say that is less abuse than bashing and jumping and all that crap. My charger is fine and I always make sure not to go too low with the LVC (set at 3.5V per cell) , I storage charge and balance charges every single time.

And for completeness, how well you've taken care of the batteries as far as charge/discharge/storage.
I've done everything that you are supposed to do correctly from my end.
Yeah they are. I guess that's about what I imagined your batteries might look like after some of your jumps lol.
I have no argument against that. Yeah, those big jumps take a toll don't they 😅. I'll be honest and say that I'm impressed that most of my batteries take such abuse

Back