What is your RC LiPo of choice in 2022

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But with a low IR like that, i don't personally know of another way to tell why the battery might be bad.

So what is a normal IR? What is low? For 2S-6S 5000-9000mah Lipos. Seems to depend on the mah and number of cells the battery has. Ive been reading about IR in Lipo Batteries and its all over the place. Im confused.

Learning allot about Lipos batteries, they are truly one hell of a breakthrough and now widely adopted for everything.
Was watching these rocket engineers designing with electric pumps powered by Lipo battery sources for cold gas, pressure-fed hybrid rocket engines. Lithium batteries need to go Sold State. When they do a 6S will be the size of a slim 3S with twice the mah and cycle twice as much - or something like that. Electric Automobiles Need it desperately.

BTW: Im estimating its going to take 15-17 hours to cycle Once (thats storage drain to charge) with a 6S 8000mAh 100C Lipo @ 1.0a. 2 - 3 times? So thats going to be 2 1/2 Days going 24/7 :rolleyes: per battery?

Last edited:
Wasn't really random. I was shopping for a 8000mAh at 100+ C rating. They were average price and got high ratings. I tried Zee's too.
I lost 1 2S Zee, just completely discharged sitting in the kids car, not used after just 3 days - in the garage. It was 3 months old and used lightly.
$80-$120 for a 6S 8000mAh at 80-120C is about average. Some hit $150-$200.

Since June looks like that model was replaced with these, same price and specs. Different wrapper.

HOOVO 6S 22.2V LiPo Battery 8000mAh 100C RC LiPo Batteries Metal Plates with EC5

The CHNL's at 90C, 6000mAh is $80 and at 8000mAh its $120.

The YOWOO Graphene's 100C at 6000mAh are $87, cant find any at 8000.

Others are much the same. Lesser knows names are cheaper on eBay but not much.
Ahh, if you have to stick to 8000mah that definitely limits your options. :eek:

Ahh, if you have to stick to 8000mah that definitely limits your options. :eek:

(y) The 8000 is a good amount of run time. Just enough where when its done, so am i.
I run (2) 2S in it at 5200 and they don't last long at all. Same for the 3S I use. 8000 is a good spot.
I'll try some 6000's and see. I like the lower weight but right now it doesn't matter much.
Also theres the less batteries to manage and take up a bit less space thing.

I also Notice higher discharge rates (C) with higher mAh batteries.

You can always build yourself a cheap dishcharger with a 12v automotive light bulb and a LVC alarm. I think it will discharge faster than your charger will but not 100% on that.

You can always build yourself a cheap dishcharger with a 12v automotive light bulb and a LVC alarm. I think it will discharge faster than your charger will but not 100% on that.
+1
Definitely true. Unless you buy a dedicated discharger like this which can discharge at 25A, most chargers only provide discharge rates around 0.5A. I just soldered together five 20W 12V bulbs to a QS8 plug for discharging. Definitely beats the $80 price tag for this thing.
1663376910655.png

Does anyone actually buy and use Spektrum Smart batteries consistently?

So what is a normal IR? What is low? For 2S-6S 5000-9000mah Lipos. Seems to depend on the mah and number of cells the battery has. Ive been reading about IR in Lipo Batteries and its all over the place. Im confused.

Learning allot about Lipos batteries, they are truly one hell of a breakthrough and now widely adopted for everything.
Was watching these rocket engineers designing with electric pumps powered by Lipo battery sources for cold gas, pressure-fed hybrid rocket engines. Lithium batteries need to go Sold State. When they do a 6S will be the size of a slim 3S with twice the mah and cycle twice as much - or something like that. Electric Automobiles Need it desperately.

BTW: Im estimating its going to take 15-17 hours to cycle Once (thats storage drain to charge) with a 6S 8000mAh 100C Lipo @ 1.0a. 2 - 3 times? So thats going to be 2 1/2 Days going 24/7 :rolleyes: per battery?
Yeah with normal chargers it takes along time. I have been seriously considering something like this skyrc discharger for a while.
https://a.co/d/1VUJpPz
Just need to save up! I got too many other RC projects and repairs right now.

This Battery makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

How are these holding up? 7600 is a compromise.

SMC HCL-HP 22.2V 7600mAh 150C G10 Protection Plates $140
View attachment 244246
How do these not get offered with EC5...?

I've been searching for days for replacement 4s 100c+ higher mah ec5 batteries. One cell went bad in my 4s 100c 9000mah Zeee battery and I can't really get it back. It'll take a charge from manual mode on NiMh for a little bit to throw some juice in it, but I can get it high enough so my charger will not fault and charge it on a regular lipo setting. Annoying when 2 of these batteries are close to 200

How do these not get offered with EC5...?

I've been searching for days for replacement 4s 100c+ higher mah ec5 batteries. One cell went bad in my 4s 100c 9000mah Zeee battery and I can't really get it back. It'll take a charge from manual mode on NiMh for a little bit to throw some juice in it, but I can get it high enough so my charger will not fault and charge it on a regular lipo setting. Annoying when 2 of these batteries are close to 200
They have the option of SC5 which is compatible with EC5/IC5.

Nobody running PowerHobby? I think I saw one vague reference in this whole thread. Just curious. Moving to QS8’s on my ESC’s and they are one of my choices for bashing and testing road rigs before I move to the expensive batteries for dedicated speed runs.

Nobody running PowerHobby? I think I saw one vague reference in this whole thread. Just curious. Moving to QS8’s on my ESC’s and they are one of my choices for bashing and testing road rigs before I move to the expensive batteries for dedicated speed runs.
FWIW, I've never really heard much good about them and they're fairly expensive. If I were you I'd probably look at CNHL instead. They're far more economical and they perform well.

FWIW, I've never really heard much good about them and they're fairly expensive. If I were you I'd probably look at CNHL instead. They're far more economical and they perform well.
When I looked the only thing they had (except for two sold out 5000mah G+ units) were batteries with massively high MaH ratings, big heavy bricks.
https://chinahobbyline.com/search?type=article,page,product&q=QS8*
Not much of a choice with QS8’s. Don’t tell me to solder…. 😂
But of course, I could. I’d just prefer to buy some reasonably inexpensive 5-6k MaH 3s and 4s batteries with QS8’s on them. Any recommendations?

When I looked the only thing they had (except for two sold out 5000mah G+ units) were batteries with massively high MaH ratings, big heavy bricks.
https://chinahobbyline.com/search?type=article,page,product&q=QS8*
Not much of a choice with QS8’s. Don’t tell me to solder…. 😂
But of course, I could. I’d just prefer to buy some reasonably inexpensive 5-6k MaH 3s and 4s batteries with QS8’s on them. Any recommendations?
What about these? Add $3 for QS8.
3S 6200mAh: https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_171&product_id=659
4S 6300mAh: https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_171&product_id=660

I've also been seeing these SMC-HCL packs performing well.
https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_202&product_id=678

Wow, how have I not seen these? I guess because only you speed run guys use them? They sound perfect, thanks. And I think they will even fit into the stock Typhons battery tray. Appreciate the tip, man!

Wow, how have I not seen these? I guess because only you speed run guys use them? They sound perfect, thanks. And I think they will even fit into the stock Typhons battery tray. Appreciate the tip, man!
A pleasure as always bro :)

I'm waiting on one of these guys to come in, may order a second to run in parallel:

https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_190&product_id=663
SRDs are great. I have two of the 6500s and they really perform.

Edit: Wait...those are only $80??? Bloody hell, we get ripped off in Europe.

@Dan B. - You might want to look at these. I pay a lot more for them here so I didn't even bother looking at them. Although I would save these for when things get serious.

Back