What's for dinner?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only whitetail here, you can't buy it, against the law. JD made me laugh when he said climbing trees to hunt elk. It's like hunting bear or ram, you have to pack in, go to them.

As far as going to the grocery, don't like it, it's more of a chore for me, nothing exciting.

Only whitetail here, you can't buy it, against the law. JD made me laugh when he said climbing trees to hunt elk. It's like hunting bear or ram, you have to pack in, go to them.

As far as going to the grocery, don't like it, it's more of a chore for me, nothing exciting.
Most guys deer hunting around here use tree stands, so I wasn't sure if that was also used for hunting Elk, as they are essentially large deer. And buying elk in a store is farmed, not wild, so I don't know how fair it is for me to judge based on that. From what I understand if you hunt a healthy wild elk and process it right, its some of the best meat ever. I would for sure put in the work if that was true. The part I would not be looking forward to is gutting it and packing it out. Also fighting off bears and wolves for the meat.

Most guys deer hunting around here use tree stands, so I wasn't sure if that was also used for hunting Elk, as they are essentially large deer. And buying elk in a store is farmed, not wild, so I don't know how fair it is for me to judge based on that. From what I understand if you hunt a healthy wild elk and process it right, its some of the best meat ever. I would for sure put in the work if that was true. The part I would not be looking forward to is gutting it and packing it out. Also fighting off bears and wolves for the meat.
I never gut my elk. 90% of my elk have come from high altitude public land- full of bears. Nothing else brings in bears faster than a gutpile! Once a griz shows up it ain't your kill anymore. I quarter them and fillet out the backstraps & tenderloins. Then depending on how much bear sign I've seen, I might even relocate all that away from the kill site before I start packing out. If there's snow, I leave the fur on the hind quarters (drags way better that way!). If it's warm, I'll debone it all in the field to spare my knees the wear & tear.
I always joke that elk hunting is simple. You get one for every 100k calories burned.

I never gut my elk. 90% of my elk have come from high altitude public land- full of bears. Nothing else brings in bears faster than a gutpile! Once a griz shows up it ain't your kill anymore. I quarter them and fillet out the backstraps & tenderloins. Then depending on how much bear sign I've seen, I might even relocate all that away from the kill site before I start packing out. If there's snow, I leave the fur on the hind quarters (drags way better that way!). If it's warm, I'll debone it all in the field to spare my knees the wear & tear.
I always joke that elk hunting is simple. You get one for every 100k calories burned.
I know in my mind that’s a lot of work, but it does sound like heaven. Maybe I listen to Rogan too much 🤣

I know in my mind that’s a lot of work, but it does sound like heaven. Maybe I listen to Rogan too much 🤣
We tipped over 2 bulls 4 miles in at first light this day. There were 3 of us packing, and it took about 12 hours from gunshot to starting the truck. It doesn't show the 8k of vert.

Screenshot_20191213-215753_Samsung Health.jpg

I can't wait to do it again! 🤩
I think I'd like hunting with Rogan. He seems to be a compatible type of crazy.

Wish these were something special but they’re just regular beef ribs. Will smoke them for a couple hours to get a nice bark on them, then wrap them in butchers paper with some waygu tallow. Keep cooking them to about 203F and then rest them until we are ready to eat.

46E1F707-B0A4-44BE-BC1D-E7795566B8D7.jpeg

Time to wrap
1286A41C-E5F1-43E6-80C1-4D27ECEAD211.jpeg

Last edited:
One of my favorite dishes of all time. Always just as good the next day too 😋

Fresh garden taco rice🤤 Fresh green and yellow zucchini and onion from the garden with stewed tomatoes, corn and some garlic in ground beef and rice with taco seasoning topped with cheese 👌
IMG_20210818_180832519.jpg
IMG_20210818_181317046.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back