Why do you RC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right on man, I’m starting to think I’m not alone.
Definitely not alone my friend👍
My affliction with rc's started with my older brother, but as an 8 year old my mother was diagnosed with cancer, rc's became something of an escape for me also.. never been very close with my brother but after he went through a divorce a few years back, rc's became an escape for him as well..these last few years we've spent alot more time together thanks to this hobby.
My prayers go out for you and your wife🙏

Definitely not alone my friend👍
My affliction with rc's started with my older brother, but as an 8 year old my mother was diagnosed with cancer, rc's became something of an escape for me also.. never been very close with my brother but after he went through a divorce a few years back, rc's became an escape for him as well..these last few years we've spent alot more time together thanks to this hobby.
My prayers go out for you and your wife🙏
Thanks, I appreciate that.

RC helped me get off the streets and stay out of trouble. I Left many friends who ended up going nowhere in life. Just Jail time in many cases. Met a new group of older friends at the Track and stopped wasting my coin at clubs and Bars and ladies who were just takers.
I broke up with my Fiance, and all I did was go to clubs and bars initially to drown my sorrows. That whole scene was not me. This was the catalyst.
This prompted me to get into RC. Saw one guy running his RC10 Buggy in a park and he gave me many RC magazines. It was fascinating. It was new to me in the 80's. This was in my Mid 20's. Never put it down since.
Always had money in my pocket. Always worked hard to play hard. Just that I was wasting my money.
RC $$ was way better spent. Now all these years later (35+years ), I appreciate it for many reasons. Everyone needs a hobby, whatever it is. A clean respectable hobby.

Lots of very human stories in here that I'm enjoying reading. It's easy to forget while keyboard warrioring with usernames on the internet that there are people with complex backgrounds and struggles behind each one, and threads like this help keep one's perspective in proper alignment.

When I was 10 or 11 years old, my dad got diagnosed with leukemia and also found that he had a large aneurysm in his brain. He was forced to retire (industrial welder) because he was now prone to seizures and at first, his health declined very rapidly and stayed at a pretty low level for quite a few years until the leukemia went into remission. A year or so later my brothers moved out/went to college and that left me to take care of whatever needed done at home until I graduated and moved out myself. So I took care of the yard, house, cars, trucks, mowers, cut/hauled all the wood (wood furnace only in our home) from the age of 13 to 18. After dealing with all that stuff, I knew I'd likely not buy a house until I retired just because I didn't want to deal with it. 25+ years later and I still don't. lol! Not having a house/yard/garage, it kind of limits what you can do with your hands for entertainment.

I graduated college and ended up in the tech industry/programming/software QA, so had very little to work on with my hands that wasn't a keyboard. That was about 26 years ago. A few years later, I got my first RC just to have something to work on/fiddle with that I could do without needing a garage. I started with nitro, a losi xxx-nt rtr. Spent the next 15-16 years running nitro only, then got my first brushless. Partly because I was tired of fiddling with nitro and partly because I wanted something that wasn't so fussy in the winter.

Now though, I'm less into the working on/building aspect of the hobby. I like to run my RC's because it takes my mind off work as it forces you to focus on what your doing in the moment.

Wow, this thread got pretty deep. It’s nice to really get to know you guys. RC is a very respectable hobby for people of all backgrounds in every walk of life. Thanks for sharing your stories everybody!
So true, no doubt there are folks here that I'd likely never actually rub elbows with in the wild..not because I wouldn't like them, just that we're all from different walks of life🍻

I started with rc planes about 10 years ago, I guess when I realized I could afford one. I've always been a fan of military aircraft so it was a way for me to have my own. As a kid building model kits, who didn't think, wouldn't it be cool if this could fly? Now it's possible so I jumped at the chance.

A few years ago I picked up a Mojave, so I would have something to do on days when it was too windy to fly. Well here I am, now I drive my cars and trucks more than I fly. I am a creative person who has too many interests, but this one gets me outdoors and moving. I love nature so between RC's and Photography it gets me out where I can enjoy it.

It is very much a stress coping mechanism!

For me I like the building/tinkering aspect of RC as much as driving them. 1/1 racecars of all different types have captivated me since I was 5 or 6 years old, and RC is an extension of that for me. I love owning my own fleet of 20 or so "mini racecars" that I built or modified, and maintain myself. My only frustration with RC is that I am (mostly) a speedrunner but I don't get to run nearly as often as I want to because of work and where I live, but that's life..

Sorry about your wife and glad you all are staying strong! Positive thoughts and one day at a time!

I had my 1st "knockoff" Grasshopper when I was about 11. A bunch of us kids in the neighborhood all asked for one for xmas. The time after was a blast as almost all if us got one! I'll never forget the fun we had jumping the ends of curbs, making ramps with plywood and bricks.....it was a blast.

Fast forward to 2001 when my wife and I got our 1st house. We got 2 Nikkos from Toys R Us. Yes, toy grade but we had a blast! She still has her Hummer (doesn't work though) so it's a garden statue now! She loves her Hummers! (Me too! ;) )lol

Then kids came along! Got them each their own toy grades when they were little and they loved them for a little bit.

I was poor at this time so couldn't even think of getting into the hobby. Then I got BIT with the bug. My long time friend came to visit and brought his Arrma Kraton. My 1st experience with a true hobby grade RC and I while watching him tear through my yard (which my toy RC barely worked in the grass-lol) I WAS HOOKED!

Fast forward to 2020... finally making good money, sold our tiny house we lived in for 20 years and made a decent profit. Had some disposable income. Started purchasing Bezgar brands off Amazon. Ended up with 8 or 9 within a few months. Then, decided (and convinced wifey) to build my RC dirt track in my backyard. I'm committed now! 🤪

FIL passed away last November (RIP Steve!). My wife was only child so she got everything. He wasn't a wealthy man at all, but did save his money and had some decent IRAs. More disposable income! ;) Love ya Steve!!!

So in April, I decided to go FULL SPEED on this Hobby.. . 3 new rigs, all new updated pit area, new tools, parts, extending track.....etc.....

I have a 13 yr old boy and a 10 year old girl who acts like she is 17! Lies, steals, does whatever she wants regardless of consequences......kids can be real d!ck$ sometimes. Raising kids is the hardest thing I have ever done. It really takes a toll on you mentally.

I started RCing for fun. Tried to get kids into it and they just don't have the interest. There's no screen and no internet!

So I RC for the thrill and as a stress reliever to forget about the stoopid sh!t life throws at you. Keeps me sane so I don't dig a hole in my backyard for the next dumb mfer messing with my life!!!

I run some rigs and just forget about how tough and sh!tty life can be at times. If only for a few hours....it helps. And this Forum and the people here really help too!!!

My wife has bad back problems from a bad car accident in 1996 and a lot of other health issues, including fibromylagia.

I love my family, my friends, my DC sports and my RCs!!! O.. and my new AF family!

So you are far from alone!!!

Peace and love my friends!!! ✌️❤️ (Sorry for the long message.....)

Last edited:
I RC because I tinker. I have always tinkered with anything I can get my hands on. I never had a toy that wasn't taken apart when I was a kid. My mom didn't like the fact that I "ruined" all my toys but she knew I was born to wrench on things.

After my previous bout with RC addiction in my early 20's I went M.I.A. from the hobby until 02/19/2020 when I got injured on the job, I needed something to tinker with so I got me an RC. Been tinkering since and see no signs of stopping.
Someone mentioned it already and I'm the same way...I wrench on my RC's even if they don't need it just to tinker and try new things.

RC's has helped me deal with this injury by keeping my mind from idling and my hands wrenching.
This forum and the people on here also plays a big part of this hobby for me as I have had nothing but good times on here with all of you RC addicts🤙

Would love to see some pics of the track!!! 🤤👍🏻
Check out my new introduction thread.

Yea, I've had enough likes and interest I think I'm going to start a "build" thread for it. Buil threads is not just for rigs! Lol Appreciate ya!

I started with rc planes about 10 years ago, I guess when I realized I could afford one. I've always been a fan of military aircraft so it was a way for me to have my own. As a kid building model kits, who didn't think, wouldn't it be cool if this could fly? Now it's possible so I jumped at the chance.

A few years ago I picked up a Mojave, so I would have something to do on days when it was too windy to fly. Well here I am, now I drive my cars and trucks more than I fly. I am a creative person who has too many interests, but this one gets me outdoors and moving. I love nature so between RC's and Photography it gets me out where I can enjoy it.

It is very much a stress coping mechanism!
I also like the outdoors. Its why my hobbies are all out door related.
I build custom bicycles from scratch, restore vintage road bikes for friends, painting and all. , build up wheels etc. Have all the "Park" Bike tools.
And I always rode a bicycle , all my life. Sometimes I even would pack my RC10T and bicycle to the Track back in the day. A 4 mile trip. Even though I always had a car. 2 bicycle accidents landed me in the hospital. NYC traffic is rough.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I also like the outdoors. Its why my hobbies are all out door related.
Me too. But there's one hobby that's fround upon if done outdoors. 😉😉😆

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back