Why does Arrma not want to smash the Traxxas 100mph XO-1 RTR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still think that Hobao is the champion in this discipline.
Multiple fires and a debris field of 200 yards!! This is more spectacular than some light aircraft crashes!! 😬🤣
This sounds like most vendor playbooks for security. I will start looking at it with an oscilloscope and hardware analysis tools this weekend. I already know there are problems with the app updates for the transmitter and esc for a xrt. As soon as I saw it ask fir a transmitter update I switched to a iOS emulator where I could grab the updates from the tmp files created when downloading the updates. The app is pretty easy to spoof.

View attachment 341617

View attachment 341618

View attachment 341619

View attachment 341620
Hi,

Allow me to fix your Traxass firmware for you............
1000014738.jpg

I still think that Hobao is the champion in this discipline.
Wow!! While costly and heart breaking for the owner, as a spectator that was SPECTACULAR!! Wish the "videographer" weren't such a chicken $hit!!😜
Trying to be funny. Also a garbage can can block radio signals, not very well but some.

I was mostly trying to be funny.
It was!! LOL

Wow!! While costly and heart breaking for the owner, as a spectator that was SPECTACULAR!! Wish the "videographer" weren't such a chicken $hit!!😜

It was!! LOL
What the heck happened?!?!

Is this real? It blew up like that?

Trying to be funny. Also a garbage can can block radio signals, not very well but some.

I was mostly trying to be funny.
I can only give you love😍 for trying..for a second I really thought you were serious lol...heads up next time you try to be funny just put a 🤣🤣 after or before your joke.. ok back to the joke now ...so since the firmware is in the trash can ,now you may put the XO - Slow in there also🤣🤣

I can only give you love😍 for trying..for a second I really thought you were serious lol...heads up next time you try to be funny just put a 🤣🤣 after or before your joke.. ok back to the joke now ...so since the firmware is in the trash can ,now you may put the XO - Slow in there also🤣🤣
I am not being sarcastic. Thank you for this tip. Sometimes I am not the best with social queues which is a bad pairing for my love of deadpan humor.

🤣🤣
With the firmware and XO-1 in the metal garbage can hopefully future archeologists will find it and hold it up as a prime example of peak awesome RCing!
🤣🤣

I am not being sarcastic. Thank you for this tip. Sometimes I am not the best with social queues which is a bad pairing for my love of deadpan humor.

🤣🤣
With the firmware and XO-1 in the metal garbage can hopefully future archeologists will find it and hold it up as a prime example of peak awesome RCing!
🤣🤣
More like future generations will unearth the XO-1 and feel sorry for us the same way we feel sorry for people only having wood blocks to play with..🤷‍♂️🤣🤣

Hard to tell exactly what happened there, but my guess is the rc hit a curb at 190mph..
I can respect the efforts and financial commitments for sure. Has anyone checked out this dudes YT channel? 185mph on a 4 lane highway with traffic..hmm. Not sure intelligence is required after seeing that? 🤔🤷‍♂️ LOL.

Last edited:

🤣🤣
🤣🤣
They will just say oh wow who ever stuck this here was smart😁

🤣🤣
🤣🤣
No worries..around here you'll learn to joke alot.we love good laughs.🤣🤣

More like future generations will unearth the XO-1 and feel sorry for us the same way we feel sorry for people only having wood blocks to play with..🤷‍♂️🤣🤣

Tl;dr
I got started in RCs with a xo-1 but quickly (over a weekend) also tried Rustlers, Felonies, and Vendettas which are my all time favorite RC car. I don't like the Traxxas proprietary stuff but their cars were plenty fun.

all joking aside I am a security researcher that was looking for something to hack for a demo that wasnt super dangerous or threatening. Demos like this people have done things like planes, pace makers, etc. Even if it is done safely the visual is implied to be really dangerous. I wanted something that was an interesting target but didn't make anyone feel threatened. While my youtube was scrolling through videos a guy talking about rocket powered RC cars came up.

I found a local hobby shop and told them I wanted the fastest, most advanced RF car I could buy. They told me about the XO-1. I then remembered all the times I went to Monster Jam and saw the traxxas booth selling the “ fastest RC car you can buy.”

I told them I wanted the XO-1. The LHS folks asked if I had a lot of experience with driving RCs. I said never drive one before but I am a top tier hacker so I am pretty sure I can figure it out. I would not be dissuaded. I bought it, the batteries, and the charger and immediately went home and charged them then to a empty parking lot to capture some base signals using a software defined radio. 40 seconds after turning it on I hit a concrete barrier at almost max speed. The front end was destroyed.

I had to go back to the LHS and tell them I was loving the XO-1 but i also want something a little more rugged and maybe a tad slower. I got a rustler 4x4 because I already had traxxas batteries. I ended up breaking that as well and went back for another one. The next day Rustler 2 was broken and I went back again. The excuses about my nieces and nephews breaking them were not credible anymore.

The LHS pointed me to a Felony. I said if I already have a XO-1 why would I get the Felony. They explained the XO-1 was basically a drag car that does in a straight line very fast but the Felony is more like something someone min the Fast and the Furious would drive. They also had to explain what hopups and bashing was. The Felony lasted longer but my crappy driving still eventually broke it. Back to LHS and this time they showed me the Vendetta. They also showed me how you can do things like limit speed and making turning less touchy at higher speeds. I drone one of theirs around a parking lot the immediately bought two.

The Vendetta is my favorite RC hands down which has led to me hoarding some during the low price elimination. Eventually i learned how to fix them really well by also the Felonies, the Rustlers, the XO-1s. I have a Maxx that i never really learned to fix beciase I haven’t broken it. Good lord I tried but never broke.

I say all this to convey I am not just a brand loyalist. I have and continue to enjoy my Traxxas vehicles with a XRT, a XRT Ultimate, and a Sledge being my favorite Traxxas rides so far. The Sledge is #2 behind the Vendetta and slightly ahead if the Felony for all time favorite RC (keep in mind I only started with RC in June 2023) but the Vendetta has such a high smile/fun factor Incant imagine what would unseat it.

I don't like the Traxxas battery plugs or the having to jump through hoops to “unlock” higher XO-1 speeds. But I put up with that stuff because I love the Sledge and XRT. Arrma also had me sold right away of the hard-case batteries.

While my interest may move on to more custom or specialized rigs like the Rolaarlo AK 787 dual motor I will never forget the laughs and looks of horror from the initial batch of cars and all the fun I was expecting.

Tl;dr
I got started in RCs with a xo-1 but quickly (over a weekend) also tried Rustlers, Felonies, and Vendettas which are my all time favorite RC car. I don't like the Traxxas proprietary stuff but their cars were plenty fun.

all joking aside I am a security researcher that was looking for something to hack for a demo that wasnt super dangerous or threatening. Demos like this people have done things like planes, pace makers, etc. Even if it is done safely the visual is implied to be really dangerous. I wanted something that was an interesting target but didn't make anyone feel threatened. While my youtube was scrolling through videos a guy talking about rocket powered RC cars came up.

I found a local hobby shop and told them I wanted the fastest, most advanced RF car I could buy. They told me about the XO-1. I then remembered all the times I went to Monster Jam and saw the traxxas booth selling the “ fastest RC car you can buy.”

I told them I wanted the XO-1. The LHS folks asked if I had a lot of experience with driving RCs. I said never drive one before but I am a top tier hacker so I am pretty sure I can figure it out. I would not be dissuaded. I bought it, the batteries, and the charger and immediately went home and charged them then to a empty parking lot to capture some base signals using a software defined radio. 40 seconds after turning it on I hit a concrete barrier at almost max speed. The front end was destroyed.

I had to go back to the LHS and tell them I was loving the XO-1 but i also want something a little more rugged and maybe a tad slower. I got a rustler 4x4 because I already had traxxas batteries. I ended up breaking that as well and went back for another one. The next day Rustler 2 was broken and I went back again. The excuses about my nieces and nephews breaking them were not credible anymore.

The LHS pointed me to a Felony. I said if I already have a XO-1 why would I get the Felony. They explained the XO-1 was basically a drag car that does in a straight line very fast but the Felony is more like something someone min the Fast and the Furious would drive. They also had to explain what hopups and bashing was. The Felony lasted longer but my crappy driving still eventually broke it. Back to LHS and this time they showed me the Vendetta. They also showed me how you can do things like limit speed and making turning less touchy at higher speeds. I drone one of theirs around a parking lot the immediately bought two.

The Vendetta is my favorite RC hands down which has led to me hoarding some during the low price elimination. Eventually i learned how to fix them really well by also the Felonies, the Rustlers, the XO-1s. I have a Maxx that i never really learned to fix beciase I haven’t broken it. Good lord I tried but never broke.

I say all this to convey I am not just a brand loyalist. I have and continue to enjoy my Traxxas vehicles with a XRT, a XRT Ultimate, and a Sledge being my favorite Traxxas rides so far. The Sledge is #2 behind the Vendetta and slightly ahead if the Felony for all time favorite RC (keep in mind I only started with RC in June 2023) but the Vendetta has such a high smile/fun factor Incant imagine what would unseat it.

I don't like the Traxxas battery plugs or the having to jump through hoops to “unlock” higher XO-1 speeds. But I put up with that stuff because I love the Sledge and XRT. Arrma also had me sold right away of the hard-case batteries.

While my interest may move on to more custom or specialized rigs like the Rolaarlo AK 787 dual motor I will never forget the laughs and looks of horror from the initial batch of cars and all the fun I was expecting.
Uh, my niece crashed my 100mph rc..that's a good one right there!!🤣🤣
I won't try and shame anyone for liking a brand of rc's, ridicule perhaps. LOL.
I'm of the opposite starting point, back in the 80's if I asked for Traxxas at my LHS, they would have laughed at ME. That's a toy, you want Traxxas, go to Toys R Us..🤣🤣
Well, my LHS from the 80's is long gone, as is Toys R Us..guess who's not. TRX.
I have rc's from many brands, loyal to none. Brand loyalty is for suckers IMO. Do yourself a favor though, and try and get away from the TRX plugs..they can't sustain any real amperage long term. The TRX iD stuff is horrible, so is Spektrum smart stuff, IMO of course. If you don't mind paying triple for stuff, by all means stick with the Spektrum smart ecosys, but TRX iD, no bueno.

Oh that's real alright. Pretty much any RC car hitting a curb at 190mph+ will do the same thing. If you look closer, it didn't just blow up (now THAT would be scary) .

It was!! LOL
I hope you remember these words the next time an RC car is hurtling towards you at 190mph. :LOL:

Oh that's real alright. Pretty much any RC car hitting a curb at 190mph+ will do the same thing. If you look closer, it didn't just blow up (now THAT would be scary) .
Yeah, I didn't notice the actual impact since the videographer was back pedaling..but did see a shower of bits raining down to the ground. Speed running at such a high level is high stakes indeed.. I'm gonna stick to the wading pool where I belong, LOL. Ima keep playing ring around the rosie with trees at at a safe 30mph..🥴

Yeah, I didn't notice the actual impact since the videographer was back pedaling..but did see a shower of bits raining down to the ground. Speed running at such a high level is high stakes indeed.. I'm gonna stick to the wading pool where I belong, LOL. Ima keep playing ring around the rosie with trees at at a safe 30mph..🥴
When I try to slow it down it looks like it is in the middle of the road. Im not seeing what it hit.
Im excited about low 100s. I have time and money and know how. Well general tech know how not RC specific. I’ll wait till I can reliably do 100 before setting a 200mph goal.

Also I started with a 100mph car but the high end 6s truggies are more fun to drive to me.

all joking aside I am a security researcher that was looking for something to hack for a demo that wasnt super dangerous or threatening.

I talked to a guy once that said he figured out how to hack the Hobbywing max5 ESCs to remove the amperage limiting.
A hack like that would be awesome if you can. I think he said they figured out the programming card and were able to get in to the programming through that.

The said person took that secret to his grave and that was the last I heard anyone talk of removing amp limiting from the HW ESCs. That would be something on the Max4 12s esc!

I'm looking to go down this rabbit hole. What's holding me up is the space required to hit these speeds. Also the fact that I'll probably make some stupid mistake and my rig will end up in 1000 pieces

I hope you remember these words the next time an RC car is hurtling towards you at 190mph. :LOL:
The next across parking lot run and back after this pic resulted in me, for some reason, attenpting to stop a maxed out Felony with my foot so it wouldn’t hit a concrete barrier. It caused me to flip over and land on my back, i was 100% sure my foot was broken and possibly my knee.

My wife ran over and asked if I meant for that to happen because she hadn't seen that particular technique in any of the videos i watch. The Felony went end over end into a ditch.

I ended up losing three toenails but the ankle wasn't broken. Meanwhile the Felony was a total boss. It is the one circled in the pic. Apparently my weak flesh only managed to dent the front air splitter, no damage or even scuffs anywhere else.

Heed this warning for when AI takes over the world. Feet will not be effective weapons against the machine uprising.

IMG_6536.png

IMG_7268.jpeg

I'm looking to go down this rabbit hole. What's holding me up is the space required to hit these speeds. Also the fact that I'll probably make some stupid mistake and my rig will end up in 1000 pieces
I also have the space issue. A-lot of folks do it on roads and such but i need a wide open space so if I spin out it is all good.

Back