Why does Arrma not want to smash the Traxxas 100mph XO-1 RTR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The next across parking lot run and back after this pic resulted in me, for some reason, attenpting to stop a maxed out Felony with my foot so it wouldn’t hit a concrete barrier. It caused me to flip over and land on my back, i was 100% sure my foot was broken and possibly my knee.

My wife ran over and asked if I meant for that to happen because she hadn't seen that particular technique in any of the videos i watch. The Felony went end over end into a ditch.

I ended up losing three toenails but the ankle wasn't broken. Meanwhile the Felony was a total boss. It is the one circled in the pic. Apparently my weak flesh only managed to dent the front air splitter, no damage or even scuffs anywhere else.

Heed this warning for when AI takes over the world. Feet will not be effective weapons against the machine uprising.

View attachment 341676

View attachment 341677

I also have the space issue. A-lot of folks do it on roads and such but i need a wide open space so if I spin out it is all good.
In fairness, trying to stop anything travelling at those kind of speeds is going to hurt. Squash balls are bad enough!

Well done for not breaking bones. 👍

The next across parking lot run and back after this pic resulted in me, for some reason, attenpting to stop a maxed out Felony with my foot so it wouldn’t hit a concrete barrier. It caused me to flip over and land on my back, i was 100% sure my foot was broken and possibly my knee.

My wife ran over and asked if I meant for that to happen because she hadn't seen that particular technique in any of the videos i watch. The Felony went end over end into a ditch.

I ended up losing three toenails but the ankle wasn't broken. Meanwhile the Felony was a total boss. It is the one circled in the pic. Apparently my weak flesh only managed to dent the front air splitter, no damage or even scuffs anywhere else.

Heed this warning for when AI takes over the world. Feet will not be effective weapons against the machine uprising.

View attachment 341676

View attachment 341677

I also have the space issue. A-lot of folks do it on roads and such but i need a wide open space so if I spin out it is all good.
Sorry for your injuries, glad you only suffered "minor injuries" but yeah, that ain't no soccer ball bro!!😉🤣🤣🍻

I talked to a guy once that said he figured out how to hack the Hobbywing max5 ESCs to remove the amperage limiting.
A hack like that would be awesome if you can. I think he said they figured out the programming card and were able to get in to the programming through that.

The said person took that secret to his grave and that was the last I heard anyone talk of removing amp limiting from the HW ESCs. That would be something on the Max4 12s esc!
I don't know about remove the amp limit wholesale, but I do know how to open the max5 up to 12S. All you need is a 12S cap pack.

Connect everything and power up the ESC. The ESC won't boot full due to the excess voltage. Then disconnect the battery (leaving the cap pack connected) and wait for the residual voltage in the cap pack to drop below 33.6V. At that point the ESC will beep boot. Reconnect the battery. Voila. The ESC is now running on 12S.

View attachment 341676

View attachment 341677

Feet have a known weak spot when it comes to stopping RC cars (particularly those of the 1/7 scale persuasion).

Joking aside, I'm glad that aside from some toe nails, you suffered no major damage from your ill conceived braking maneuver. I was trying to find the video but haven't been able to locate it yet. The guy was a serious speed runner and while making a pass, the car veered off course and took him off his feet at over 150mph. It broke the tibia and fibula in both of his legs and more than a year later, he was still using crutches to get around. I have to admit that I did chuckle when he was getting picked up by the ambulance, one of the first things he asked was, "How fast did it go?" and his buddy got his cell phone and called out a 155. All speed runners do this, no matter what just happened. I'm pretty sure drag racers do the same after some horrific crash.

I think there's a tendency to underestimate the effects of (velocity x mass) resulting in many "It didn't look like it was even going that fast" sort of conversations. I've had my own experience with hitting myself with an Infraction at around 35mph when the car veered off course on a slightly snowy street. I only suffered a minor laceration on my left foot but I was walking with a solid gimpy limp for at least two weeks.

In fairness, trying to stop anything travelling at those kind of speeds is going to hurt. Squash balls are bad enough!

I was still a super newb and did not realize that brakes are not really that effective on a car like the Felony. I had squeezed the brakes for what I thought was half the parking lot but looking back at the telemetry it was between 45 and 50 when it hit my foot.

I see folks standing right on the same lane they're speed running and I'm like wtf? Seeing how easily these things take flight, no way I'm watching an rc come head on over say 100mph without some type of barrier to duck behind, yes, I'm chicken$hit!! LOL.
Discretion is the better part of valour! 🤓

Or, some might say, wise.

It's not much fun marshalling cars when they're hurtling around, flying over jumps etc

It's funny how people's self preservation can sometimes be over-ridden for things like RC cars or even mobile phones! 😅

I don't know about remove the amp limit wholesale, but I do know how to open the max5 up to 12S. All you need is a 12S cap pack.

Connect everything and power up the ESC. The ESC won't boot full due to the excess voltage. Then disconnect the battery (leaving the cap pack connected) and wait for the residual voltage in the cap pack to drop below 33.6V. At that point the ESC will beep boot. Reconnect the battery. Voila. The ESC is now running on 12S.

Feet have a known weak spot when it comes to stopping RC cars (particularly those of the 1/7 scale persuasion).

Joking aside, I'm glad that aside from some toe nails, you suffered no major damage from your ill conceived braking maneuver. I was trying to find the video but haven't been able to locate it yet. The guy was a serious speed runner and while making a pass, the car veered off course and took him off his feet at over 150mph. It broke the tibia and fibula in both of his legs and more than a year later, he was still using crutches to get around. I have to admit that I did chuckle when he was getting picked up by the ambulance, one of the first things he asked was, "How fast did it go?" and his buddy got his cell phone and called out a 155. All speed runners do this, no matter what just happened. I'm pretty sure drag racers do the same after some horrific crash.

I think there's a tendency to underestimate the effects of (velocity x mass) resulting in many "It didn't look like it was even going that fast" sort of conversations. I've had my own experience with hitting myself with an Infraction at around 35mph when the car veered off course on a slightly snowy street. I only suffered a minor laceration on my left foot but I was walking with a solid gimpy limp for at least two weeks.
I knew better and in the heat of the moment still made a stupid choice. Luckily my LHS guys straightened me out and explained thats why people are standing on things like step ladders.

View attachment 341676

View attachment 341677

Need to dress appropriately...
Wear Steel toe boots to attempt "toe jam" stops.
💥🦶🤦
🤣

Need to dress appropriately...
Wear Steel toe boots to attempt "toe jam" stops.
💥🦶🤦
🤣
That is the insult to injury part. I normally wear 5.11 cargo pants and 5.12 water proof ceramic toed boots. Normally it would have been a nonissue. The one day I wear jeans and sneakers ole toe cutter comes in fast.

That is the insult to injury part. I normally wear 5.11 cargo pants and 5.12 water proof ceramic toed boots. Normally it would have been a nonissue. The one day I wear jeans and sneakers ole toe cutter comes in fast.

Lesson learned, I'm sure.
You got some tough toes (nails) and some mighty good luck.

Hope you stretched some of that luck to some Lotto tickets also.
You just never know. 😉

I was trying to find the video but haven't been able to locate it yet. The guy was a serious speed runner and while making a pass, the car veered off course and took him off his feet at over 150mph. It broke the tibia and fibula in both of his legs and more than a year later, he was still using crutches to get around. I have to admit that I did chuckle when he was getting picked up by the ambulance, one of the first things he asked was, "How fast did it go?" and his buddy got his cell phone and called out a 155. All speed runners do this, no matter what just happened. I'm pretty sure drag racers do the same after some horrific crash.

I think this is the video your thinking of... Skip to 1:45 for start of run... 🙂

Ouch 😬

I knew better and in the heat of the moment still made a stupid choice. Luckily my LHS guys straightened me out and explained thats why people are standing on things like step ladders.
Ladders are really for better vision and Radio range. But being on a ladder works. Yet a ladder can still be taken out and you're falling off of it with a direct hit. 16 pounds of weight and mass coming at you, at 100+mph is no joke. That can take your head off.:eek:

Last edited:
Many guys hose them off like its their scale car.
I have to. I live so close to the North Sea, even the air is salty. If i don't wash the salt and sticky clay, the cars will rust so fast, i can witness it happen.
I usually dry them in the sun and wind during summer, in front of a heater in winter time.
Then i lube all the bearings with some oil and dry lube the dog bones and cups.
I do run shroud covers. They keep the debris out. Usually some fine dust is all that gets into the chassis.

I can relate to rc toe injury..this past fall I did a speed pass with my kraton and as it was heading towards me it skipped due to a pebble and the kraton slamed my toe ..yeah I was just doing about maybey 40ish mph but it hurt like sob.🤬.I walked it off .no biggie..well when I got home I took off my sneaker and noticed a few cuts on my toe and my nail was black and blue or should I say like a dark red under the nail..it's now been like 3 months and my toe nail is still black and blue and some say it might fall off ...just fkin great.yeah thank God it wasn't my infraction because it has a aluminum front splitter and I swear if that would to hit me I'd probably loose a foot clean cut ..the thing is like a blade.. thinking of probably taking it off due to safety .I'd hate that to hit me or someone else.you never know when RCs want to take off on their own

I can relate to rc toe injury..this past fall I did a speed pass with my kraton and as it was heading towards me it skipped due to a pebble and the kraton slamed my toe ..yeah I was just doing about maybey 40ish mph but it hurt like sob.🤬.I walked it off .no biggie..well when I got home I took off my sneaker and noticed a few cuts on my toe and my nail was black and blue or should I say like a dark red under the nail..it's now been like 3 months and my toe nail is still black and blue and some say it might fall off ...just fkin great.yeah thank God it wasn't my infraction because it has a aluminum front splitter and I swear if that would to hit me I'd probably loose a foot clean cut ..the thing is like a blade.. thinking of probably taking it off due to safety .I'd hate that to hit me or someone else.you never know when RCs want to take off on their own
We should form a toe club. The one club you don’t want to join! You have my sympathy!

We should form a toe club. The one club you don’t want to join! You have my sympathy!

Definitely Not a club to join... willingly.

Terminal Toe Tapper Club (3TC)

toe GIF

Fire Feet GIF

I think this is the video your thinking of... Skip to 1:45 for start of run... 🙂

Ouch 😬
Yeah, that really hurt I'm quite certain. Shins are extremely sensitive. That chap was super lucky the brunt of the force was taken by the kerb.

Now this is a developing problem where people can literally buy RTR stuff, capable of very high speeds, before they've had a chance to properly hone their control skills and memory muscle.

Like - yeah, my first RC - 6S, 12lb, 70mph missile - jump to the moon - tumble wumble. Followed by - litigation. 🤷

This particular crash was 100% preventable. There was time to adjust the car's direction and/or chop the throttle. No offence to the person in that video and full respect to them for sharing it.

At least others can learn from it.

I'm amazed at how much concentration is required, operating a car at 60+ mph - let alone 100-200+mph. Whilst I have flown things that go very fast indeed (Banshee target drones), the fastest I have flown my personal drones is 147mph, but with plenty of airspace.

Driving a car at these speeds leaves little to no reflex time to make any corrections if something goes awry and the operator becomes 'a passenger'. People simply aren't giving themselves enough space.

These activities should not be taking place on public highway, either. They are leaving themselves liable to prosecution if things go wrong. Not to mention, getting all busted up!

Last edited:
Always how it goes, LOL. Ur not alone bro.🍻

Yeah, that really hurt I'm quite certain. Shins are extremely sensitive. That chap was super lucky the brunt of the force was taken by the kerb.

Now this is a developing problem where people can literally buy RTR stuff, capable of very high speeds, before they've had a chance to properly hone their control skills and memory muscle.

Like - yeah, my first RC - 6S, 12lb, 70mph missile - jump to the moon - tumble wumble. Followed by - litigation. 🤷

This particular crash was 100% preventable. There was time to adjust the car's direction and/or chop the throttle. No offence to the person in that video and full respect to them for sharing it.

At least others can learn from it.

I'm amazed at how much concentration is required, operating a car at 60+ mph - let alone 100-200+mph. Whilst I have flown things that go very fast indeed (Banshee target drones), the fastest I have flown my personal drones is 147mph, but with plenty of airspace.

Driving a car at these speeds leaves little to no reflex time to make any corrections if something goes awry and the operator becomes 'a passenger'. People simply aren't giving themselves enough space.

These activities should not be taking place on public highway, either. They are leaving themselves liable to prosecution if things go wrong. Not to mention, getting all busted up!

There is ZERO opportunity to make any corrections -once the front wheels start to leave the road surface.

Back