Worst soldering job I have ever seen!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres my sodering experience.im horrible by the way.use lead free,thin wire works best for me.lower amperage an my $HITTY sodering works,but bigger systems,heavy loads like s-running will starve esc an burn it up quik.any restrictions on xlx2 will kill it quickly
That's why I bought a soldering station..

Please, do tell..
Which one did you get? I'm thinking of upgrading.
DuraTrax TrakPower TK955 Digital Soldering Iron Station

There's better one's out there, this just happened to be in stock and at a discounted rate at my local hobbyshop.. ended up paying $84 or $86 for it.

I like an 80W pencil style iron with a 3/8" tip for doing battery connectors and then a soldering station for small stuff. Using a hot iron and a tip with large thermal mass makes it almost impossible to have joints as cold and poorly wicked as those even if your technique isn't great. Those look like the original owner was using an underpowered iron and just globbing the solder on.

Or at least put heat shrink over it to make it look ‘decent’
+1.
HS may hide the poor cold soldering there. Might even prevent a dead short. But just wont prevent the joints from falling apart.
I consider myself above average with my soldering skills. Not bragging at all. Took me decades to get where I am. But I have done crap work like this when I started out. Learning by mistakes, and just getting better at it.
You just can't use pencil tip cheapo irons. High controlled temps matter with heavy guage wires. (8,10,12g) I run my tip at 700-800F for quick, shiny, and well seated joints. I judge an iron by its max temps not watts. Best way to shop for an iron with a temp recovery controller. Digital ones.
Use 60/40 Lead solder only and some flux paste is needed. If the wires come pretinned, cut off that section and pretin and solder fresh strands because most pretinned wires are usually not Lead, you end up mixing lead with non-lead solder, getting bad cold, and fragile joints.
Soldering is a hobby unto itself. A good skill to repair many other electronics we use around the house. The wire must touch the connection, and not float within the solder to make the connection. That joint will fail otherwise. Become a hot joint and even melt apart with high Amp draw.
+1.
Awseome iron above for sure.(y)(y) My first pick if I ever need one. My Digital RS station is ike 15 years old and keeps ticking and it uses Hakko standard tips. I really want a complete Rework station next time around.
Anyone familiar with them???

Edit.

>>Silver solder (non leaded types) requires much higher temps before it can flow effectively. Works against you in most cases. Slows down the flow, your electrics become hotter than they need to. Potential heat damage to connectors, ESC, etc will happen. Leaded solder is the best way. Many feel Leaded solder is dangerous. Sure, any Lead is, in general. Silver solder not only costs more per oz, but is just as toxic as Leaded types. For mass production, Non-Leaded solder is used and required as an industry mandate in most cases, but for commercial repairs and DIY soldering everyone is best to use Leaded solder. Just wash your hands afterwards, just as you would with any silver solder/ or any soldering. Keep young children away obviously. Keep soldering smoke down wind. Don't breath it. Keep a small fan drawing the solder smoke away from your face. In a well ventilated room.
The best soldering is done very quickly if done right. With very shiney and ball shaped smooth joints.

Last edited:
Looks like @N.Mango’s work
Why am I not surprised something like this would be coming from you???
Some serious love up in here!

And for the record i would have at least put heat shrink on it if it was me!🤪

That soldering job looks just slightly worse than mine. I really am not good at soldering (or I don't have the right tools).
If you put the right stickers on your equipment it turns you into a pro.:p

20220127_094029.jpg

No for real I did put an “Islandhobbynut” sticker on my solder iron, it improved my skill 10 fold…
Oh my bad it’s a scorched sticker, probably wouldn’t be so good at soldering if I used that other sticker

image.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back