All new Traxxas Maxx.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To everyone saying the Maxx is too much money, In one week of bashing with my buddy who has a Maxx and I have a Kraton 4s he has spent $0 in parts and I have spent close to $200. We were doing the same jumps, crashes, etc. I lost multiple shocks, a-arms, shock towers, center driveshaft, bent motor plate, wheel nuts and on and on. After adding the rpm a-arms the chassis broke instead of the a-arms. So great the a-arms are still good but now its more work to change the chassis. It is definitely worth the extra money to not have to repair your car every time you drive it. I don't even think it has run long enough to kill the batteries in any of the runs. Charge, fix, break again. We both suck at driving and crash a lot, but the Maxx takes it like a champ while the Kraton 4s just blows up. The Kraton does handle a lot better when it is running, but if you can't drive it any longer who is the real winner. In case you are confused it is the guy who is still bashing while you are adding up your next round of repairs.

Last edited:
To everyone saying the Maxx is too much money, In one week of bashing with my buddy who has a Maxx and I have a Kraton 4s he has spent $0 in parts and I have spent close to $200. We were doing the same jumps, crashes, etc. I lost multiple shocks, a-arms, shock towers, center driveshaft, bent motor plate, wheel nuts and on and on. After adding the rpm a-arms the chassis broke instead of the a-arms. So great the a-arms are still good but now its more work to change the chassis. It is definitely worth the extra money to not have to repair your car every time you drive it. I don't even think it has run long enough to kill the batteries. We both suck at driving and crash a lot, but the Maxx takes it like a champ while the Kraton 4s just blows up. The Kraton does handle a lot better when it is running, but if you can't drive it any longer who is the real winner. In case you are confused it is the guy who is still bashing while you are adding up your next round of repairs.
That's been my experience. Even my 6s Arrmas are in a pile broken when I go bashing , while the Maxx 4s just keeps going. It's easy my most durable Rc. On 6s it's insane. I can do a backflip on the smallest jump. Like I said, I took it to the skate park and all I was able to break was the motor fan. Believe it or not, my Redcat KAIJU is beginning to be my second most durable rig at $399 after tweaking it. It has a very similar build to the Maxx. Almost.

The Maxx is probably the toughest RC I've ever owned. I doubt I'll sell it in the next 5 years. My Granite 3S was super tough too. My Kraton 4S, not even average, pretty much below average. I sold it.

The Maxx is probably the toughest RC I've ever owned. I doubt I'll sell it in the next 5 years. My Granite 3S was super tough too. My Kraton 4S, not even average, pretty much below average. I sold it.
No offence but i did not see you upgrading the kraton much you kept it pretty much stock and did not try to upgrade it. If the 3s is tuff then the 4s line would be pretty tuff too because they share same chassi design only with a lot better hubs and power system with a bit more weight. Arrma arms are not great snaping 1-2 early on and saying the car is bellow avg in toughness is abit unfair rpm is there for a reason. Other factors enter in consideration short arms vs longer arms the longer arms are weaker than the short ones and the price point for 530$ i expect the maxx to have no issues or minor ones. No saying this because im a fanboy or because the kraton is poop because im one of the only ones to crap diffs i think i figered it out why arrma uses the diff shim to make the diff tight every car have defects theres stuff called weak points and another one who is called a design flaw weak points can be fixed at low cost most of the time like typical stuff arms,bearings design flaws would be like driveshafts failing under normal uses for no exact reason you could say mpthe kraton 4s diffs too but it has only been a issue on the 4s kraton and not the other models who uses those differentials.

Comparing stock to stock saying this is better than this because this does break or this doesn't do is not fair i cant say this car is worst than this car because the fans stopped working on this but the other one is still going like new if you upgraded it a bit more i think the amount of abuse would have been pretty much the same only stuff who would break if its not the arm imo its the turnbuckle any bad landing on one tire will most likely explode the arm even if its rpm i say this because i broke the rpm on my rustler first run out did not even knew until i got home.I hope you understand what im trying to say
Saw a lot of people who own traxxas saying they are garbage because the servo is crap just remplace it for a better one at cheap price but if the esc is junk i can understand why you are no happy about the truck because an esc is not cheap
That's been my experience. Even my 6s Arrmas are in a pile broken when I go bashing , while the Maxx 4s just keeps going. It's easy my most durable Rc. On 6s it's insane. I can do a backflip on the smallest jump. Like I said, I took it to the skate park and all I was able to break was the motor fan. Believe it or not, my Redcat KAIJU is beginning to be my second most durable rig at $399 after tweaking it. It has a very similar build to the Maxx. Almost.
The maxx is pretty much a tank first traxxas to be reliable out of the box.From a overpriced 1/10 scale i don't expect it to break if it does well im going to be pissed af imagine buying a expensive radio and the radio dies internally after a month. I personally hate my rc to flip over when turning pisses me off

Last edited:
On my Kraton 4S, I've broken the front arms, center driveshaft, top brace, shock rod end, bent motor plate, and probably some other stuff I can't remember. I also broke the chassis on my Granite.

On my Maxx, with an equivalent level of bashing (double backflips 20 feet high), I've broken 2 fans. I've broken about 20 fans in my life, so I consider them a consumable, like bearings or tires.

Both trucks almost completely stock. I'm not going to compare truck X with $200 worth of upgrades vs. truck Y with $200 worth of upgrades. That's not what I do, and it's way less helpful to people trying to figure out which truck to buy. Personally, I find it odd that you defend the Kraton 4S when you've probably had 10x more problems with it than anyone else has ever had and probably have about 20 different threads on all of the issues/frustrations you've had. ?‍♂️

Im not defending it just saying comparing stock to stock at differant price point is not fair im not saying you should upgrade the car to reatch the price point of the other car. So far the only stuff i broke while bashing was me being an idiot kissed 3 metal post at high speed broke 2 arms and 1 chassi and recently my wing started to develop cracks its a year old countless of landings on that poor tail. I find the 4s of arrma interesting a lot of people broke the brace mount but idk how its possible in mine even at full speed hit a tree and the car flew 3 metter in the air nothing broke. I have bended motor mount yes but since i got the arrma adjustable mesh never bended and i think i know why they bended my gear mesh was never right always far from each other the gears were i realised it 2 months ago .

Center driveshaft still the original one has a few cut marks same for the shock rod end i never menaged ever to break them even after i bended the crap of one front shock shaft while i see people on youtube snaping the rod end of the shock in a small jump same for people exploding motors while others after a year on the bearings still has no failure. The diff is the only thing i wear down while others arround here doesn't i decided to just put the mesh tight like how the manual says and what happens happens if it chews again well im going to switch to another car or something else.

My quess is the quality control for arrma in china is trash might explain why some people break things you never broke the creator of arrma himself said they get bad batches of parts like leaky shocks the sooner they leave communist china the better it would be for arrma and the costumers. I do have my hate towards traxxas because of their business and how they milk money on their design flaws they don't want to fix my traxxas was crap because it was not able to jump well fly well or do any stuns while they claim he can do pretty much anything was only made to go on pavement and grass. You say why im not really that frutrated with my kraton well for the maybe first time when i got in the hobby my rc made me smile im pretty much someone who doesn't smile at all truly because of the dark pass. How easy the car was to drive jump do stuns wheelie everything the rustler was never able to do from day 1. I do belive that i will overcome the diff issue if i cant well its going to go away and get something else. When i get frustrated to the point i almost smashed the remote or truck with an hammer there are reasons for it.

I could have trown a bumper and rpm arms to the car than just leaving the buggy bumper who absorbs 0 impact could have resolve most of the breakages you got. Last thing most of the stuff i made on the forrum was me being a noob and sharing what i went trough i learned stuff the hard way and i keep learning new stuff everyday. The only real problem i have is the rear diff its my last try

Last edited:
I mean, it is what it is. All I said was that the Maxx is way more durable than the Kraton 4S. I think the Kraton 4s is one of the weakest vehicles in the Arrma lineup, maybe the Mega line is worse, but nearly everything else is better. So it's below average in durability. They've got what, like 20 cars in their lineup? Is it weaker than 10 of them, almost certainly.

As for the rest of the stuff, yes the Kraton is way cheaper, it handles way better, it flies better, it has better electronics (save the radio). I'm not disputing any of that, I have a whole video already explaining where the Kraton is better and where the Maxx is better.

Why does everyone keep saying these trucks are not at the same price point. They are only $130 apart. After upgrading the a-arms, remote, and shocks they are equally priced and one is still a piece of crap at the same exact price point. Nevermind having to change all the bearings and the Kraton tires. Arrma makes some good stuff from what I have seen and keep hearing, the Kraton 4s is not one of them. When people defend this car by mentioning experiences with other arrma models it shows just how bad this car is. Its like defending your wife by saying her sister is a good person.

To say it should be fair comparing price points after upgrading only the Kraton is not fair to the Maxx because to get the Kraton 4s as durable as the stock Maxx the Kraton costs way more and still isn't as good. I also don't want to hear upgrading the remote should not be counted, it should because that is part of the original price and a cheap, crap radio leaves more money for the manufacturer to spend on other parts, and the Kraton remote not only works poorly it feels like a cheap remote. I just wish this wasn't my first arrma so I could defend them, but as it is I have to say I will probably never buy another arrma, this car is that bad. People will say, but it drives better, yes if its running, or it flies better, but does it if it can't keep flying because its in pieces.

The Kraton 4s is like a trap. You buy it because it a whopping $130 cheaper than the Maxx and the next thing you know you are sitting there with a car that cost way more than the Maxx due to all the repairs and some needed upgrades, but now you feel like you have to keep it because you are so invested in it. Trapped.

I believe every company (even though some of them can REALLY suck sometimes) makes that GEM of a vehicle. I also think that the degree of driver and experience "or lack of" has a HUGE roll in how/when/why a review would read. There is also the bad review day factor to consider.

Could this be that "GEM" that traxxsucks produces? I've always called them traxxsucks or crapsucks because I can. I own a couple. I've read up on this truck and there seems to be way more positive than negative. This truck's chassis looks a lot like the Kaiju tub style. Wonder who had what first :unsure:

I think @gotnitro is probably 100% right. Every company has cars which are GEMS, and every company has those cars that are MEH.

For Traxxas, it's gems seem to be the MAXX & XMAXX, as I hear really good stuff abouth them. [Although I wouldn't buy any of those. There are a few things that put me of about the XMAXX, although it is fun to drive, but I wouldn't buy a Kraton 8S either (In this scale, I would look only at the Hobao Hyper MT +2 at the moment). And the MAXX is seriously overpriced here in Germany. I mean FFS, the Kraton 4S is 400€, the MAXX is 630€. That is seriously too much considering you can get a Kraton 6S for 530€...]
I mean, I have a Traxxas, and as much as I like my Stampede 2wd, I just can't say it's a gem if I think about how much money that thing has eaten.

For Arrma, the Kraton 4S might be one of the meh cars. Although to be honest, I don't know what you guys do to them that you f*** them up so badly like breaking a chassis or a shock tower. I don't have a 4S, but I have never broken a chassis or shock tower on my BRCC 3S (which now is my Malvion) in almost 2 years. I mean seriously, I went to the Skatepark with this thing and came home with a broken motor fan and broken T-Bone bumper, but the chassis & shock towers are still the same without any cracks.
Oh and btw, the shocks seem to be a problem that is fixable with some other O-Rings for 5$. And as much as I get @smokedstanley with the thing about the radio...there are enough people that change the remote before the first drive to their good remote, regardless if it is the Kraton or the MAXX, so for them this cost doesn't count as they won't be using the stock remote at all.

Didn’t @Megasty have an issue with the Maxx?
The main problem I had with the Maxx is the 2 pieces of the front bulkhead shifting when I turned the wheels. It looked like the diff was doing it when the CVD ball end engaged the cup. I couldn't solve it with a new front bulkhead, diff, CVD, or chassis so I gave up before it became a money pit. The aluminum bulkhead probably would of solved it but that's serious money pit territory - & I have an X-Maxx for that.

So seeing this is General Chaos , and this thread is 26 pages long , we can talk about all other brands here besides Arrma ? Cause it seems 99% of members here hate hearing comments about TRX vehicles .
When I got into this hobby about 3 years ago now , all I knew starting was TRX , therefore got a few of them . Since been sold but still have a couple ( that I basically don't use ) other than my Xmaxx .
Fast forward and I discovered Arrma , and was I wowed with the 6s lineup !! Started collecting them , then jumped right onto the K8S the day it hit my LHS . With that said ,love the truck but wish I waited cause it aggravates me now seeing the upgrade version in just a mere couple months in !!! Radio/braces/20 mil in cent diff/pinion ....... oh , but I can buy that if I want them .
When I take out my big 3 , Xmaxx / K8S / Losi DBXL-E they are all awesome , fun vehicles , and each have their own thing better than the other . My Xmaxx is 2 1/2 years old now ,( stock ) only break was rear hub bearing fell apart , batteries working great still to , get like 45 min run time .
So , with that said , as per this thread , just picked up a Maxx today . Hope I have good luck with it , if not oh well , it's an rc hobby which is $$$/breakages !!!

Why does everyone keep saying these trucks are not at the same price point. They are only $130 apart. After upgrading the a-arms, remote, and shocks they are equally priced and one is still a piece of crap at the same exact price point. Nevermind having to change all the bearings and the Kraton tires. Arrma makes some good stuff from what I have seen and keep hearing, the Kraton 4s is not one of them. When people defend this car by mentioning experiences with other arrma models it shows just how bad this car is. Its like defending your wife by saying her sister is a good person.

To say it should be fair comparing price points after upgrading only the Kraton is not fair to the Maxx because to get the Kraton 4s as durable as the stock Maxx the Kraton costs way more and still isn't as good. I also don't want to hear upgrading the remote should not be counted, it should because that is part of the original price and a cheap, crap radio leaves more money for the manufacturer to spend on other parts, and the Kraton remote not only works poorly it feels like a cheap remote. I just wish this wasn't my first arrma so I could defend them, but as it is I have to say I will probably never buy another arrma, this car is that bad. People will say, but it drives better, yes if its running, or it flies better, but does it if it can't keep flying because its in pieces.

The Kraton 4s is like a trap. You buy it because it a whopping $130 cheaper than the Maxx and the next thing you know you are sitting there with a car that cost way more than the Maxx due to all the repairs and some needed upgrades, but now you feel like you have to keep it because you are so invested in it. Trapped.
i invested almost 500-600$ on a rustler because the thing was bad i sold it?‍♀️ So your logic is if i upgrade an rc and becomes more expensive than anotehr rtr means that the car is awful bassicly you are ssying that everybody who buys a 6s rig and upgrades it and becomes more expensive than other brand rc means the car is trash? And i should have bough that car ?

If you scan both cars they are not similar at all one has longer arms so it is weaker one has thick body the other one is flimsy one is a truggy one is a monster truck one handles one the other handles like a ball i went with the car who had the best handling for a basher after a buggy i don't like high center of gravity chassi they belong in the pass imo. Idk about you but i hate a lot more a car rolling over while turning than stripping a diff after 1 and a half month of daily use and does what i tell the car to do you could self right you will say but you can ruin the metal diff prematurely and that is not cheap. Like you said both cars have their defects the 4s is maybe inferior to the maxx that depends from person to person but coming here and pretty much saying this cars is trash idk why you did not go and do it on the traxxas forum instead.

Last edited:
To everyone saying the Maxx is too much money, In one week of bashing with my buddy who has a Maxx and I have a Kraton 4s he has spent $0 in parts and I have spent close to $200. We were doing the same jumps, crashes, etc. I lost multiple shocks, a-arms, shock towers, center driveshaft, bent motor plate, wheel nuts and on and on. After adding the rpm a-arms the chassis broke instead of the a-arms. So great the a-arms are still good but now its more work to change the chassis. It is definitely worth the extra money to not have to repair your car every time you drive it. I don't even think it has run long enough to kill the batteries in any of the runs. Charge, fix, break again. We both suck at driving and crash a lot, but the Maxx takes it like a champ while the Kraton 4s just blows up. The Kraton does handle a lot better when it is running, but if you can't drive it any longer who is the real winner. In case you are confused it is the guy who is still bashing while you are adding up your next round of repairs.
I admit I was one of the first to complain about the price of the Maxx and I still do, but I agree for what it is it is a nice piece of kit. I mentioned in another thread about the 3 guys beating the crap out of their Maxx's and rarely landing jumps and driving away from the crashes like nothing happened, every now and then the body came off, and there was one occasion where I almost got hit by a flying battery but nothing broke. That really made me reconsider things about the truck. I am really contemplating thinning the herd and getting one to replace a few of my other cars.

i invested almost 500-600$ on a rustler because the thing was bad i sold it?‍♀️ So your logic is if i upgrade an rc and becomes more expensive than anotehr rtr means that the car is awful bassicly you are ssying that everybody who buys a 6s rig and upgrades it and becomes more expensive than other brand rc means the car is trash? And i should have bough that car ?
If you scan both cars they are not similar at all one has longer arms so it is weaker one has thick body the other one is flimsy one is a truggy one is a monster truck one handles one the other handles like a ball i went with the car who had the best handling for a basher after a buggy i don't like high center of gravity chassi they belong in the pass imo. Idk about you but i hate a lot more a car rolling over while turning than stripping a diff after 1 and a half month of daily use and does what i tell the car to do you could self right you will say but you can ruin the metal diff prematurely and that is not cheap. Like you said both cars have their defects the 4s is maybe inferior to the maxx that depends from person to person but coming here and pretty much saying this cars is trash idk why you did not go and do it on the traxxas forum instead.

And how much have you invested into your Arrma Kraton?

I admit I was one of the first to complain about the price of the Maxx and I still do, but I agree for what it is it is a nice piece of kit. I mentioned in another thread about the 3 guys beating the crap out of their Maxx's and rarely landing jumps and driving away from the crashes like nothing happened, every now and then the body came off, and there was one occasion where I almost got hit by a flying battery but nothing broke. That really made me reconsider things about the truck. I am really contemplating thinning the herd and getting one to replace a few of my other cars.

And how much have you invested into your Arrma Kraton?
Idk 200-250 mostly because of the diffs i think i remplaced them 5 times 4 times the rear in a year so 15$ by 5 75$ on diffs alone gires 40-50$ tires were doing fine for me but i wanted to try the spike tires ? 60$ in shocks stock shocks were doing fine no leaks one pair of shock shaft front t bone bumper 20$ bearings arround 35$ 32$ diff yokes maybe arround the 300$ but most of the stuff is because i wanted to upgrade i could have just done the bumper and rear diff yokes and bearings but me being me i wanted to buy fancy stuff im notfeeling guilty the truck gives me smile on my face when i do take her out im depress when ileave the house and come back home happy i probably get 20$ in two months or 1 and a half month i just broke 2 arms and one chassi in a year or abuse its not like its snaping arms every week?‍♀️ if we are talking only about upgrades in term of “investment” would be arround 150$ All of this is just an estimate. my rustler if i wanted to do everything i wanted it to have its ruffly 500$ canadien in us maybe 400$ that just about the must have stuff

Last edited:
man You guys can type!
I'm not going to lie, I didn't read any of the walls of texts above. If I am going to make a post that is a mile long I will put some punctuation in there and separate my thoughts into paragraphs ect. I refuse to read threads that are just a giant wall of text because they are frustrating to read and make my brain hurt.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back