Mojave Differential slipping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyzinsd

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
  2. Senton 6s
I am having issues with my center differential slipping. I am using the aluminum blx case. I actually opened a brand new one and it still slips. I opened a new gear set and it still slips. The only thing i haven't tried to replace is the metalposts that go into the differential. Could thise cause slippage?

I also am having issues with my rear diff. I replaced the bearings on the housing. I didnt push the gear teeth all the way in, so there was play going back and forth. I corrected that and now i am having the same issue with the rear diff case. The gears slip when i put the diff together.

Are you saying the spider gears slip when the diff has the ring gear tightened on. Please try to clarify more specifically. Or post pics and explain

Edit:
Also the outdrive cups have pins right behind the sun gear inside the diff. Are those pins good.

Are you saying the spider gears slip when the diff has the ring gear tightened on. Please try to clarify more specifically. Or post pics and explain

Edit:
Also the outdrive cups have pins right behind the sun gear inside the diff. Are those pins good.
I don't know the names, but something slips. When i put the diff back together the outdrive cup on the other side wont turn. You can hear the gears inside slip.
20210119_205207.jpg

Edit:
You need more shims bud.
the metal ones? the ones come with the gear set? or different shims in different area?

Not sure on what comes with the gear set. I stopped buying factory gears my second diff. The gears need to come closer together inside when all is buttoned up. Hence the slip. If you have extra shims try different combos till you find what works with a dry fit i.e. no diff fluid.
Try one more behind each planetary gear. Then see if you can spin the diff freely w/out slip. By the looks of it seems like the gears are sitting way too low in the cup. They'd never mesh with fluid. When the cup sealed closed.

Last edited:
Lol guys look at his picture. Hes missing a whole peice behind each of the spiders.

Not only is there a shim between the back of the spider and the case but there is also a big peice of metal thats rounded on one side and squared on the other.

That would create massive gap not having that.

20210120_103631.jpg

Exactly why pictures are vital to online diagnosis

Lol guys look at his picture. Hes missing a whole peice behind each of the spiders.

Not only is there a shim between the back of the spider and the case but there is also a big peice of metal thats rounded on one side and squared on the other.

View attachment 121213
Omg I just seen that 🤦‍♂️ . I have a feeling he has no oil while resambling too. Hey OP you gotta reinstall your tombstones too and add new fluid to the diffs.

You say new gears. I just wanna be sure here lol. Are the pins behind the sun gears perfect.

The reason I ask is you keep saying slipping. Diffs don't slip they grind. If its slipping one of your drive cup pins are sheered off. Pull the pins and inspect them to be sure. If the sun gears are hard to pull off a pin is for sure busted in there as they become extremely hard to pull when one is.

You say new gears. I just wanna be sure here lol. Are the pins behind the sun gears perfect.

The reason I ask is you keep saying slipping. Diffs don't slip they grind. If its slipping one of your drive cup pins are sheered off. Pull the pins and inspect them to be sure. If the sun gears are hard to pull off a pin is for sure busted in there as they become extremely hard to pull when one is.
Apparantly you haven't seen a gear set. This is all brand new. The pins look good. Not sheered. They all look like this. I placed a pin in the reverse of the gear so you can see that it Looks like, hasnt been sheered.

16111917756881574660304131157748.jpg

Apparantly you haven't seen a gear set. This is all brand new. The pins look good. Not sheered. They all look like this. I placed a pin in the reverse of the gear so you can see that it Looks like, hasnt been sheered.

View attachment 121334
How many shims you put on the outdrives behind the large sungears?

Also did you watch the YouTube video link?

I'm assuming you mean the diff is skipping, not slipping (the purpose of a diff is for it to slip)? Can you describe what happens when you run it?

For the metal Arrma diff cup, are you using two shims behind each planetary gear? It's a requirement for these metal cups. If it was me, I would be trying two Mugen E0206 shims behind each planetary gear instead

How many shims you put on the outdrives behind the large sungears?

The

View attachment 121213
LMAO thanks for the advice, but if you knew or worked with the metal diff case you would know that it doesn't fit with that piece there. I would say better knowledge of the inner workings is better than a picture. FYI, i attached a picture of what it would look like with said pieces in them. it doesn't work. as the picture shows.

20210120_180953.jpg

i haven't i will look into it. I think as someone posted and i saw a nother post i need more shims in it.

Update: Extra shims did the trick. At least so it feels like. I need to buy some more spare shims, but i think that will fix it.

Ok this thread got derailed a bit.

Lets take 5...

Alright we all good?
Heads back in the game.😁

The

LMAO thanks for the advice, but if you knew or worked with the metal diff case you would know that it doesn't fit with that piece there. I would say better knowledge of the inner workings is better than a picture. FYI, i attached a picture of what it would look like with said pieces in them. it doesn't work. as the picture shows.

View attachment 121341

i haven't i will look into it. I think as someone posted and i saw a nother post i need more shims in it.
Hey bud you mind positing another pic or two of the gears in the cup? One of them from the side showing how deep they are in the cup would be cool. The perfect fit will leave the last big planetary gear flush with the top of the cup. With shims or without.
I'm assuming you mean the diff is skipping, not slipping (the purpose of a diff is for it to slip)? Can you describe what happens when you run it?

For the metal Arrma diff cup, are you using two shims behind each planetary gear? It's a requirement for these metal cups. If it was me, I would be trying two Mugen E0206 shims behind each planetary gear instead
This dude here's got some good part#s rock on man🍻

If the diffs do not have the proper gear mesh due to lack of shims to keep them together they will push away from each other and "slip" as the op called it.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back