Do mudguards really work on 6S rigs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Sunday had the Kraton 6S EXB and the Fireteam out.

Kraton has rear-arm mudguards and none on the Fireteam. Dirt bashing on a farm track...at the end of the bash we got a little rain...did not make it muddy just reduced the dust.

Both rigs are equally dirty. In cleaning them today, I really did not see how the mudguards help. The rear on both was equally dirty and just harder to clean around the mudguard where I wished it was off to better clean easier.

Do you find mudguard on the 6S beneficial?

Unless I have the wrong ones or put them on wrong, Kraton:
1667270326006.png

Sunday had the Kraton 6S EXB and the Fireteam out.

Kraton has rear-arm mudguards and none on the Fireteam. Dirt bashing on a farm track...at the end of the bash we got a little rain...did not make it muddy just reduced the dust.

Both rigs are equally dirty. In cleaning them today, I really did not see how the mudguards help. The rear on both was equally dirty and just harder to clean around the mudguard where I wished it was off to better clean easier.

Do you find mudguard on the 6S beneficial?

Unless I have the wrong ones or put them on wrong, Kraton:
View attachment 253643
I find them very helpful in keeping the mud and gunky, sticky stuff off the shocks, dogbones etc. I clearly don't keep my rigs as clean as you do but an air compressor & maybe a toothbrush is usually good enough for me. It also looks like you may have them flip flopped left/right? On mine that little arch on the bottom corner goes up against the lower hingepin. What brand are they? I have T-bone racing that were meant for typhon arms, but since I've swapped in mojave arms they don't quite have the coverage as before.

20221031_220413.jpg

I find them very helpful in keeping the mud and gunky, sticky stuff off the shocks, dogbones etc. I clearly don't keep my rigs as clean as you do but an air compressor & maybe a toothbrush is usually good enough for me. It also looks like you may have them flip flopped left/right? On mine that little arch on the bottom corner goes up against the lower hingepin. What brand are they? I have T-bone racing that were meant for typhon arms, but since I've swapped in mojave arms they don't quite have the coverage as before.

View attachment 253649
Thx I did them from TBone but I am sure I did not put them on right or bought for the wrong rig and made it work.

I would want them just to project those sweet 6s shocks from rocks and especially with the 6s line I would hope it helps keep junk out of the rear hubs (in between the two bearings).

Last edited:
I find they work best protecting the rear shocks shafts and dust boots from rocks. I tore up a set of dust boots real fast when I first got my Typhon 6s. Got replacements and they have lasted way longer with mud guards. Its good for that, but not that great at keeping it clean.

On several occasion's I've gotten rock's/gravel get stuck in the rear outdrive's and since using them it's not an issue. So i'm using them on both larger rig's!

I was hoping to make my own, do you know what material would be best? I see you can buy sheets of "material" and since I would need to drill into the stock arms anyways 🤷‍♂️

I was hoping to make my own, do you know what material would be best? I see you can buy sheets of "material" and since I would need to drill into the stock arms anyways 🤷‍♂️
I make them from a sheet of 0.75mm polycarbonate, which is still pretty strong and easy to cut with a pair of scissors.
Attach them to the sway bar holes😉

I think they work great keep a lot of crap off rear driveshafts and shocks
Yup, and I think the wheel bearings last longer too. If you make your own mudguards I try to make them as wide as possible almost covering the beginning of the wheel hub with the inner wheel bearing too👍.

A8A918AB-0E22-4B6A-934C-C8D93553ABAB.jpeg
844ECDA2-BF34-4F12-BEAF-9C7E31A5D180.jpeg

I find them useful to keep the large muddy/damp debris off of the shock shafts…I made these out of a laundry detergent bottle,wrapped with gorilla tape & affixed with the ARRMA FORUM decals 🤘🏻

View attachment 253663View attachment 253662
I find them useful to keep the large muddy/damp debris off of the shock shafts…I made these out of a laundry detergent bottle,wrapped with gorilla tape & affixed with the ARRMA FORUM decals 🤘🏻
I like putting decals on mine too, but I run in gravel a lot & I've blasted them completely off w/ 1 pack. Think I'm gonna stop wasting them there!😁

I find they work great at protecting, unfortunately they also are vulnerable to breakage from rocks and hurt airflow to electronics (I believe). I went through and fab'd mud gaurds for all my 1/8 rigs last spring. The only rig that still has them is the mojave. All the others ended up breaking and dragging the ground so I removed them. I used 1/16 lexan to make them. I liked having them on, but won't be bothered to do it again..
I don't see the point in the shock socks either..they always end up torn, then just hold dirt and moisture inside. I'm a low maintenance user though, some enjoy cleaning and keeping them up, just not me. Air clean, toothbrush, air clean..done.

I don't see the point in the shock socks either
Hey now! Don't be knockin' shock socks! ✋🤣
20221005_212516.jpg
20221008_182447.jpg

Nah, I totally agree with ya'. I wouldn't put them on anything else. Just adding to my MD Terps theme! (y)🍻😁✌️

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back