had a fire in my felony

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluejayhk

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
the fire started near the esc and receiver but I am not sold that the esc started it, guessing I didn't do a good job cleaning it when I got it off my shelf, the esc is gone and I will have to replace the plastic housing, my question is do I get the firma 150 as a direct replacement or do I get a different esc because I have to get a new one anyway? everything else in the car is still stock.

IMG_20220713_185557825.jpg

IMG_20220713_185605105.jpg

Thats Sucks! You can see where it started, by the on-switch.
That fan draws in from the bottom/side and up! So it was sucking the flames in an up like a little volcano-tornado up and out, into the body.
You can get a replacement Firma at jenny for a low or more realistic price than retail box.

Thats Sucks! You can see where it started, by the on-switch.
That fan draws in from the bottom/side and up! So it was sucking the flames in an up like a little volcano-tornado up and out, into the body.
You can get a replacement Firma at jenny for a low or more realistic price than retail box.
I'm wondering if the capacitors started it, I don't know where they ended up so I don't know for sure.
Not a lot of Spektrum fans here.
Speedrunners usually go Castle, bashers Hobbywing.
Are there recommendations for exact models? I found this but I don't know if it will work https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/xerun-xr8-plus-g2s

Last edited:
I'm wondering if the capacitors started it, I don't know where they ended up so I don't know for sure.

Are there recommendations for exact models? I found this but I don't know if it will work https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/xerun-xr8-plus-g2s
The Hobbywing Max8 would be the equivalent of what you had (3S-6S 150A). Next step up would be the Max6 (up to 8S 160A). The Spektrum equvalent would be the 160A Firma.
Castle Creations MMX8S would fit in the stock location, give you up to 8S capability with a ceiling just north of 400A. If you plan on serious speed running a cap pack would be recommended as the MMX8S has pretty high ripple voltage at which point it would be worth considering the XLX2 which you can get for the same money as the MMX8S + cap pack. It's not a drop in replacement and would require some minor modifications to make it fit as it's fairly substantial in size but it can provide well over 600A of power.

I'd still go ahead and warranty the ESC as others have already suggested. It's always good to have a backup.

The Hobbywing Max8 would be the equivalent of what you had (3S-6S 150A). Next step up would be the Max6 (up to 8S 160A). The Spektrum equvalent would be the 160A Firma.
Castle Creations MMX8S would fit in the stock location, give you up to 8S capability with a ceiling just north of 400A. If you plan on serious speed running a cap pack would be recommended as the MMX8S has pretty high ripple voltage at which point it would be worth considering the XLX2 which you can get for the same money as the MMX8S + cap pack. It's not a drop in replacement and would require some minor modifications to make it fit as it's fairly substantial in size but it can provide well over 600A of power.

I'd still go ahead and warranty the ESC as others have already suggested. It's always good to have a backup.
Not to disagree with you but this ESC would be the equivalent of a hobbywing quick run 150a ESC.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...rushless-esc-w-xt90-plug-hwa30103203/p1416724
Max 8 is 160 amp ESC.
Both are (3-6s)
Top one is the exact equivalent of the firma lacking "smart" features.

That XR8 is a fantastic ESC often used in racing. Especially if you pair it with a sensored motor. I use it for bashing and it’s been great.

Just note that it’s not waterproof and it requires a program box.

Super easy answer:

Basher - MAX6
Racer - MMX8S or XLX2 depending on how much you want to spend and how serious you are

Also, consider that the ESC may have damaged your motor as well. Inspect that too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back