Limitless New TP Power 4080cm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
400A is a lot. But it also isnt. Even the lowly Max6 has a max amp draw rating of 1050A. And for drag racing, with a pass lasting less than 2 seconds... well, I might be able to get by with the regular old Mamba X, even. But I'm not trying to build a bomb.
My mmx8s was cutting out on 8s with a castle 1650 some over 400 amps and I wouldn’t dare try my 4070 on that esc. I think the 4080 will be even more aggressive.
An old school xlx would probably be fine also.
I have 4 xlx2 cars and have pulled 600+ amps on some of my speed runs. I’ve had only one failure of a 5th xlx2 that I believe had an issue from its start with a bad power wire connection on the board. It desoldered and I stayed on the throttle too long and almost caught fire. Now that I’ve learned to stay off the throttle in case something seems to go wrong on a run. I still have full faith in the xlx2

The problem with the MMX8S is that it stops logging beyond 400A any (continues) peaks could go much higher

And agree with Taztaz, speedrunning and to a certain point dragracing, will ask for continues amps. A max6 might allow peaks of 1050A for a nanosecond, but then it will still cutoff as soon as it exceeds 160A for a full cycle.

That is beefy. I watched 90% of it and didnt hear him say which motor or KV. Did I miss it?
I know its a 58 series and appears to be at least the 70 or larger.
Don't think he ever said.gearing looks like 45/29,150ish mph would be higher kv 58mm 1000-1150kv..can't believe guys are needing xlx2 for 1/10 cars cause they've maxed x8s..xlx2 has got to have motor size (amp draw) limits right????the guys in the 180s++++ are all running either 1721 or huge tps.the almighty xlx2 is looking so almighty anymore..lol

I've suspected for a long time that the reason castle doesn't advertise many specs is because they secretly suck. Their own site, under the mamba X, says "you may experience amp draws over 100A, this is dangerous for your esc!" When comparable escs from competitors are more than happy to list 160A continuous capability.

It makes sense, though, if you look at what certifiably good systems cost. By comparison, you'll get what you're paying for. If the price range is $300 for an XLX2, or $3500 for an MGM, maybe... well, I guess there's Alien.

I've suspected for a long time that the reason castle doesn't advertise many specs is because they secretly suck. Their own site, under the mamba X, says "you may experience amp draws over 100A, this is dangerous for your esc!" When comparable escs from competitors are more than happy to list 160A continuous capability.

It makes sense, though, if you look at what certifiably good systems cost. By comparison, you'll get what you're paying for. If the price range is $300 for an XLX2, or $3500 for an MGM, maybe... well, I guess there's Alien.
Hard to say Castle is junk. No other brand has pushed RC cars and boats as fast. I have reservations that the MGM is just all hype and wont actually deliver on the high dollar performance they claim.

Alien and Flier are junk if you are pulling high amperage like the speed running scenario.
They seem to always goes up in flames when pushed really hard.

That is beefy. I watched 90% of it and didnt hear him say which motor or KV. Did I miss it?
I know its a 58 series and appears to be at least the 70 or larger.
I think he posted in his YouTube comments it’s a 1350 kv.

That motor has great potential for high numbers. He has good marketing for followers with his 20+hp banner 😂 I’ve pulled 22-23hp on my 5680tp on some of my runs before winter. The 56-58 motors can all make over 20hp. I think that the 58 cans may have better efficiency over the 56 cans.
I’m curious what he will do with it.

Hard to say Castle is junk. No other brand has pushed RC cars and boats as fast. I have reservations that the MGM is just all hype and wont actually deliver on the high dollar performance they claim.

Alien and Flier are junk if you are pulling high amperage like the speed running scenario.
They seem to always goes up in flames when pushed really hard.
I'm not saying castle is junk (Tekin on the other hand... will sell you junk, tell you it's good... and when you have a problem, tell you don't know what you're talking about because their stuff is the best.). I just don't understand why they cant stand behind their products enough to give a typical spec sheet. Capacitors, transistors, mosfets, even wire all have specs. Tell me what it can handle.

There should be better escs. Motor technology has ramped up quite a bit, but nobody wants to supply the other side to get things running. It's already a basic rule in speed running/drag racing that you run a step higher esc than motor... IE, 1/8 scale esc for 1/10 car, or 8s esc for 6s motor... but we hit a wall.

Now consider, I'm typing this post on a handheld computer with more processing power than it took to land a man on the moon. It is considerably larger than an esc, but weighs about as much with a battery and screen included. I've seen the XR10 advertised with 32 bit processing! Welcome to 1992. I can buy a 64-bit raspberry pi for $45 that, if I had the time and knowledge to code it, could technically work as a better ESC than anything on the market. I could even piggy back some code off github from one of the dozens of e-bike or e-board projects that have been done time and time again. XLX2 tops out 6-pole? Why? We have processors that can do that. One chip in my desktop PC from 2013 can do everything an esc does at half load and 6x the speed.

I drag race 2s cars and we can't find good enough hardware to not blow things up all the time. The technology exists, they just don't want to give it to us.

Castle was pretty clear why they limited the xlx2 to 8S. The volume of low ESR 33v+ caps required keeping the same specs would be astronomical.

And as for software fixes, like the 6-pole limitation. Some of it will be architecture restrictions, but most of all it's just the businesscase. In the end it's all commerically driven. ~500 people will be more happy for cost X and sales will not increase. Without a competitor snooping marketshare away, resources will be limited.

Great point @rotauq
98% of customers are happy with the XLX2 and other Castle offerings and the price point is reasonable.
Look how many people use the MGM ESC.... Close to none. Certainly less than 1%. That market is not worth going after as a business.

Size comparison on 40 cans

Targeting 155 this year open wheel limitless
140 Typhon.
I have spent more time on the Typhon, setting up and testing.

20220202_091814.jpg

I heard recently why TP Power names their motors the way they do.
The 40 as we know is the can diameter. The second number is the length of the rotor inside.

Good luck @Taztaz
Having access to the ROSSA events is something in my dreams!

I heard recently why TP Power names their motors the way they do.
The 40 as we know is the can diameter. The second number is the length of the rotor inside.

Good luck @Taztaz
Having access to the ROSSA events is something in my dreams!
Thanks man, i really cant wait.
Should be 2 events during the summer.

I ran panthers first year @ 144mph 4070
,Chnl G last year @ 146mph 5660 .

its now getting alittle more difficult for every couple mph gained but saying that, this year am feeling very optimistic.

Great point @rotauq
98% of customers are happy with the XLX2 and other Castle offerings and the price point is reasonable.
Look how many people use the MGM ESC.... Close to none. Certainly less than 1%. That market is not worth going after as a business.
I think MGMs market is the larger 5th scale users. I tried one of their 8S offerings and it left me feeling a little "blahzay blahzay". I wasn't completely disappointed but I wasn't overwhelmed either. It was very hard to program and get the settings right so it would perform the way I wanted. To add insult to injury the LMT motor I bought with it got damaged when I used screws that were too long (I used a length I'd normally use with other motors). The ESC I got from them would be comparable to a MMX8S as far as usage would dictate and I've found the MMX8S to be a much better package overall...easy to program and use while providing the performance I was looking for based on my driving skill. I haven't had the need to go beyond 7S in anything I've built so far and MMX8S has proven itself to be exactly what I needed.

Should I decide to go 5th scale in future (where 10S or more is needed) I'd probably look at MGM again for that since Castle doesn't offer anything above 8S right now. But there's definitely a market for more than 8S if Castle wanted to tap that. I think they should. An XLX with a 12S limit would be a killer product and sell very briskly especially if they made it the right size physically. Those MGMs are huge and limit their use in anything less than 5th scale.

I think MGMs market is the larger 5th scale users. I tried one of their 8S offerings and it left me feeling a little "blahzay blahzay". I wasn't completely disappointed but I wasn't overwhelmed either. It was very hard to program and get the settings right so it would perform the way I wanted. To add insult to injury the LMT motor I bought with it got damaged when I used screws that were too long (I used a length I'd normally use with other motors). The ESC I got from them would be comparable to a MMX8S as far as usage would dictate and I've found the MMX8S to be a much better package overall...easy to program and use while providing the performance I was looking for based on my driving skill. I haven't had the need to go beyond 7S in anything I've built so far and MMX8S has proven itself to be exactly what I needed.

Should I decide to go 5th scale in future (where 10S or more is needed) I'd probably look at MGM again for that since Castle doesn't offer anything above 8S right now. But there's definitely a market for more than 8S if Castle wanted to tap that. I think they should. An XLX with a 12S limit would be a killer product and sell very briskly especially if they made it the right size physically. Those MGMs are huge and limit their use in anything less than 5th scale.
Nice to hear some hands one experience with MGM / lehner

I do wonder what the benefit would be/requiring 10S.
The XLX2 @8S/600A gives the same 20kW output as a 12S/400A which even on 1/5 scale is more than plenty.(26 horses per kilo)
A 12S 600A+ capable castle ESC would be awesome yet as bulky as the MGM ones, i would likely put it on a kart or quad not on a 1/5 scale

Nice to hear some hands one experience with MGM / lehner

I do wonder what the benefit would be/requiring 10S.
The XLX2 @8S/600A gives the same 20kW output as a 12S/400A which even on 1/5 scale is more than plenty.(26 horses per kilo)
A 12S 600A+ capable castle ESC would be awesome yet as bulky as the MGM ones, i would likely put it on a kart or quad not on a 1/5 scale
I don't think people take into consideration the WEIGHT of a system larger than 8S. The batteries alone could add more than 2 pounds to the car plus the ESCs are way larger. I watch tons of videos of people running 10S, 12S, and higher and the speeds they get can be obtained with 8S or even 6S when geared right. For 5th scale you NEED that kind of power due to the size and weight of the car without any electronics. Trying to squeeze that into a car made for 6S or even 8S is almost fruitless in my opinion. You weigh the car down and rob it of the characteristics that made you buy the car in the first place. I've only seen one person do it any type of success...I think he got over 80mph in a Kraton 8S off-road and he had the MGM setup in his. Check out one of his vids here:
The other larger scale ESCs like ZTW and Flier seem like trash to me from what I've seen.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back