Radio upgrade...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHB

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
I'm thinking I want to upgrade my radio. I'm currently running the stock Tactic and having no issues with it, but now that I'm back into the hobby, I've also got a Clodbuster, Blackfoot, and a boat I'd like to rebuild and run again... and "One radio to run them all" has a very nice ring to it.

I was a Futaba user back in the late '80s/early '90s, so I am partial to them... but not padlocked to them.
Ability to set-up 4ws is a must - I need that for my Clod if I decide to go away from rear-steering lockout.
Model memory is obviously a must - at least 5 models minimum.

I've seen the Futaba 3PV recommended here a few times. I've done a little Googling, and it gets generally good reviews, but the menu structure gets poor reviews compared to their 4-channel and up radios.
I've got a 4PLS and a 4PM in an Amazon wishlist; they both have great reviews that I found in a 5min Google search.
All 3 Futabas check the boxes for my minimum requirements.

I haven't looked very far at all into Spektrum, Flysky, or any other radio brands, beyond a review I read about the 3PV that was a 3-way between it, a Flysky GT-3B, and something else; the most memorable thing I read there was that the ergonomics and general "feel" of the Futaba blew away the other 2 radios.

I'd love to stay around or below $200, as I've got that much in Amazon gift cards to use.

Fire away!

I have the 3PV and dislike the menus, but it operates well. I would probably go up a step on the Futaba range if I were to buy again.

It’s funny I beat the crap out of a couple Futaba Attack 2-CH radios back in the 80s too paired to a Frog/Grasshopper (Fighting my brother over TX crystals). I’ve messed around with the new Spektrum & Tactic (Solid TX) that came with the Kraton V3/V4. It took about 2 weeks until I had a Futaba 4 PM on order-my wife has been asking lately why the doorbell camera isn’t working sometimes.... I disable it so she doesn’t see all the UPS/Amazon packages showing up with upgrades.... Probably going straight to Hell HaHa.

Another to look at that you haven't mentioned, is the Flysky GT5.

Its my best bang for buck RC buy ever. I've yet to read/watch a single bad review of it.
Inexpensive, feature filled, cheap gyro receivers.. It can do everything you require plus a lot more..

See

That’s what I have, works great on my konghead with the 4ws, also with that clod, you can have it crab, or normal 4ws, and have only front wheels, or only back wheels steer, definitely recommend!

If you like sticks, i use with my typhon a futaba 4grs. It's 4 channel so if you are into crawlers you could get brake mixing, gear, and different configs for it.

That Noble NB4 looks pretty awesome...

Feeling like it's narrowed down to Fut 4PM vs. Noble NB4 at this point.

That Noble NB4 looks pretty awesome...

Feeling like it's narrowed down to Fut 4PM vs. Noble NB4 at this point.

If you have several cars, be sure to include receiver prices into your cost equation. Iirc, the futaba Recs are fairly pricey in comparison..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back