Typhon Typhon 6S+ (1/7.5): My attempt at a reliable dirt track buggy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did some math and went a slight bit firmer, a touch more rear spring (I drive VERY loose)
I'll start on the Typhon shock bodies and put the M2C pistons in them for now.

1663007308724.png
1663007759941.png

I have a pair of Notorious Front and a pair of Mojave Front shock bodies too: may work with getting spring rates close then find some droop springs.

Last edited:
My build originally had the TLR shocks on and it felt so PLUSH, and it was really low to the ground regardless of preload and droop. It actually felt really really nice to drive but I was worried about hitting jumps with the car so low to the ground. I switched to kraton shocks, and it instantly raised my ride height. Sadly, I still can tip over in grass and I wasn't expecting that with the mojave arms and kraton hubs. I don't know if the TLR shocks would have helped avoid it with the lower center of gravity.

This is mine with the TLR shocks and mojave tires.

I guess since yours is for the track you want the lower ride height?

Track ride height will be dependent on the track and the height/speeds. I'll start just a slight bit above stock height (longer lever arms) to compensate for weight

lol, what is your punch set to? what motor? that thing is WILD!

1663076428200.png

Maybe your rear spring is too soft? are you able to spin at all? you may just have too much tire for that wheelbase/powerlevel

Last edited:
lol, what is your punch set to? what motor? that thing is WILD!

I bet it's loading up on the tire contact patch/wall then releasing, does your phone have slo-mo?
The wifey recorded it, her phone does have slow mo though. She can probably slow it with editing software. The rig has mmx8s with punch at 40% control iirc. Motor is a tp 4060cm 2080 kv. Also using exb f/r kraton diffs.

I cracked the front bulkhead yesterday after landing on all 4's on concrete 😔. Going to install one of my cheapo metal aliexpress bulkheads and maybe try kraton towers

This weeks projects:

Boca ceramic motor bearings
HR Servo Mount
46T Felony Spur (16T on now, may go 18T if needed) - 4S gearing

1663076164567.png

She's nearly ready to test!

Last edited:
I did the same thing a little whole ago (Mojave arms on a TLR) and loved it. She flew over grass and didn't tip to much at all. I also had the JustBashIt 10mm hex extenders on it to make it a a tad wider with Kraton hubs/stubs. Ran the MMX8S with the HobbyWing 4274 2200KV motor. Beast mode all day and with 2 fans on the motor she stayed nice and cool running 44/22 gearing. At first I had the Mojave tires on but they balloon too much for my taste so i went with PowerHobby 2.8 Defenders (Belted)...perfect tire for the car (lightweight, belted and grippy) and I could transition from off-road to pavement with tremendous hook up. IMHO the slightly wider stance is definitely the way to go especially for off road...much more stable and handling was good too. You might loose some turn radius for those quicker more precise direction changes but you'll make up for it with overall stability. If you give it juice you can control throttle turns way better which can be quicker if you get the touch down.

IMG_1503.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

IMG_1496.jpg

I did the same thing a little whole ago (Mojave arms on a TLR) and loved it. She flew over grass and didn't tip to much at all. I also had the JustBashIt 10mm hex extenders on it to make it a a tad wider with Kraton hubs/stubs. Ran the MMX8S with the HobbyWing 4274 2200KV motor. Beast mode all day and with 2 fans on the motor she stayed nice and cool running 44/22 gearing. At first I had the Mojave tires on but they balloon too much for my taste so i went with PowerHobby 2.8 Defenders (Belted)...perfect tire for the car (lightweight, belted and grippy) and I could transition from off-road to pavement with tremendous hook up. IMHO the slightly wider stance is definitely the way to go especially for off road...much more stable and handling was good too. You might loose some turn radius for those quicker more precise direction changes but you'll make up for it with overall stability. If you give it juice you can control throttle turns way better which can be quicker if you get the touch down.

That looks so nice!
I also considered Mojave wheels/tires (love the size very specifically, don't love the balooning)

Does anyone make a belted truggy/buggy tire that's about 5"?

I am looking forward to ripping this thing! I was going to buy some basher wheels/tires, was looking at banditos but these look awesome for most things that aren't pure pavement!

Last edited:

View attachment 243353

View attachment 243354

View attachment 243355

View attachment 243357
I had been considering some extensions and you just convinced me 🤣. All your rigs look cool with those clear bodies btw. How are those tires for air control? have you tried em with any jumps?

Last edited:
I had been considering some extensions and you just convinced me 🤣. All your rigs look cool with those clear bodies btw. How are those tires for air control? have you tried em with any jumps?
I don't do much jumping. I break enough stuff just driving fast. Park maintenance in Philly is a joke. I've had everything from rocks, sticks, old tree shavings, tools, construction debris, to used condoms wind up in my chassis rolling across what would appear to be open fields. I've had a stone come through the slit where the center diff is and blow my whole center (I've since switched to aluminum cases for center diffs). I spend enough time wrenching for those reasons. Curbs have legs here and move in your way at the worst times!! LOL This would have to turn into a part time job if i was jumping. LOL
We don't do much jumping here...but its best to be fast as possible for the impromptu drag race or to escape from unleashed dogs. Its all about the speed in these parts.
The Mojave tires were OK but they balloon real bad at high speeds even with heavy diff fluids. I enjoyed the PowerHobby 2.8s much better. Gave me better traction than the Proline Trencher 2.8 which is similar in size. For jumping the Mojave tire might be better.
BTW...I leave my bodies clear cause I can't paint! LOL. I figure I'm gonna tear them up anyway so I usually buy 2 of each just to keep a spare. The body on this one in the picture is trashed already. Holes on the top from a high speed roof skid. I still use it sometimes cause it lets the air in almost like a cracked sunroof! LOL

I don't do much jumping. I break enough stuff just driving fast. Park maintenance in Philly is a joke. I've had everything from rocks, sticks, old tree shavings, tools, construction debris, to used condoms wind up in my chassis rolling across what would appear to be open fields. I've had a stone come through the slit where the center diff is and blow my whole center (I've since switched to aluminum cases for center diffs). I spend enough time wrenching for those reasons. Curbs have legs here and move in your way at the worst times!! LOL This would have to turn into a part time job if i was jumping. LOL
We don't do much jumping here...but its best to be fast as possible for the impromptu drag race or to escape from unleashed dogs. Its all about the speed in these parts.
The Mojave tires were OK but they balloon real bad at high speeds even with heavy diff fluids. I enjoyed the PowerHobby 2.8s much better. Gave me better traction than the Proline Trencher 2.8 which is similar in size. For jumping the Mojave tire might be better.
BTW...I leave my bodies clear cause I can't paint! LOL. I figure I'm gonna tear them up anyway so I usually buy 2 of each just to keep a spare. The body on this one in the picture is trashed already. Holes on the top from a high speed roof skid. I still use it sometimes cause it lets the air in almost like a cracked sunroof! LOL
Can you link the specific ones you ended up with? I'd love some 2.8 belted tires for the street/bashing but there are SO many options.

kicker i'm having is i'd like to go 130-140mm OD-ish

Can you link the specific ones you ended up with? I'd love some 2.8 belted tires for the street/bashing but there are SO many options.

kicker i'm having is i'd like to go 130-140mm OD-ish
https://methodrc.net/collections/ti...ires-on-switch-17mm-hex-wheels-2pcs-not-glued

139 mm iirc
I'm probably going to try those tires out if I can find them. You really gotta try to paint a body though, it's super easy to do 1 color, :cool:(y)

I’ll just leave those there...😎

20220915_220518.jpg

20220915_220539.jpg

20220915_220559.jpg

20220915_220628.jpg
BQ Typhon towers, Mojave arms and links, kraton hubs/stubs/hexes, PPS, M2C chassis, braces and ackerman, regular kraton diffs, Talion tires, Typhon shocks with M2C standoffs, shock caps and pistons, Mojave frt springs in the front, Kraton frt springs in the rear, MMX8S, 1717 1260kv and some Game Changers

Last edited:
I’ll just leave those there...😎

View attachment 243768

View attachment 243769

View attachment 243770

View attachment 243771 BQ Typhon towers, Mojave arms and links, kraton hubs/stubs/hexes, PPS, M2C chassis, braces and ackerman, regular kraton diffs, Talion tires, Typhon shocks with M2C standoffs, shock caps and pistons, Mojave frt springs in the front, Kraton frt springs in the rear, MMX8S, 1717 1260kv and some Game Changers
How do you like the talion tires? I actually have a set of the non belted ones that are almost new and a set of worn belted ones maybe I should try em haha.

How do you like the talion tires? I actually have a set of the non belted ones that are almost new and a set of worn belted ones maybe I should try em haha.
Love them!! Started with Mojave tires, they were great for jumping and drove really well but like stated above, ballon too much and wore out quick... tried the Proline MX28 belted badlands, garbage... didn't hook worth a damn in grass, no air control, and wore out super fast.. AND, had to buy their overpriced aluminum hubs just to use them because I broke 2 plastics hubs on the first pack! (Sorry, mini rant) the belted Talion tires hook great in grass, they do great on the street (tho the pavement wears them a little fast) and not bad for mild to medium jumps (not enough sidewall for big air). Gonna try them on the OC 4sV2 next...

How's it drive w/ those? I've been curious about them. Is it tippy in the corners?
I run 90% of the time in grass, so I can't remark on cornering too much, but after messing around with diff oil weights a bit, I can turn pretty hard in the grass without traction rolling now, so I'd imagine it would slide thru corners pretty good on a track.. it's essentially a shorter and slightly narrower Talion with way too much power.. it's like driving a squirrel that forgot to take its Ritalin lol..

Last edited:
I run 90% of the time in grass, so I can't remark on cornering too much, but after messing around with diff weight oils a bit, I can turn pretty hard in the grass without traction rolling now, so I'd imagine it would slide thru corners pretty good on a track.. it's essentially a shorter and slightly narrower Talion with way too much power.. it's like driving a squirrel that forgot to take its Ritalin lol..
A squirrel with big nu....sounds like fun 🙃

I just ordered some +13 mm extensions to try but then I'm like well poop why didn't I just use kraton arms. >.>

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back