Ugh ,… 2 dead UDR’s !!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear you , and yeah , it sucks that I am going to eat the esc , but what if I sold it to you and it lasted 5 minutes , you wouldn't be calling me back demanding something ? I am unbelievably surprised it quit like that on his first run out , but then again not surprised as all the internet complaints about Traxxas electronics , especially ESC's !!!
Whenever I sell an RC , either to a friend or a stranger I am totally confident in what I sell , the last thing I need is for whomever to think I ripped you off . Not worth it , he gets a new ESC , being the ESC is the heart of the operation , whatever or whenever happens to the new one , then I'm out .

I think the TRX ESC has a thermal shutdown to not have this happen . I can see now I have the truck in my possession , it really wasn't used long , or hard on that day it broke .

The grandkids just each ran a 2S through a voltage, the Motor was So hot one of them burned his finger picking it up.
The tiny ESC was roasting Hot too.
They are 3 and 5 years old. Just running circles on the lawn.
I was running a 3S Typhon and it too was roasting hot and it’s got fans on everything! Started slowing down and bogging.

2 died within minutes? That’s likely do to excessive heat.

If you disconnect the motor do you still get error lights?

BTW, I would have done the same thing.

I have an xmaxx esc, we could work a deal if you want.
Thank you Rob , but first I'm going to call my LHS tomorrow , cause that is where I bought it from and see what he says . After that , I will put a brand new one in the truck so this way my friend doesn't burn up a used one and blame it again on that . If he does burn up a new one because of heat ( July / Aug ) then maybe he'll say to himself , hmmm , was it me ????
Myself , I know how to properly bash RC's , meaning give them a break to cool down a bit rather than staying on full throttle everywhere . I wasn't there , so I do not know how they were driving them , but would agree to a point , 2 UDR's burnt up minutes of each other ?
The bad thing about a UDR design , is there is no fan on the motor and it is very confined inside the truck . We all put motor fans on our Kratons / Mojaves / Typhons / etc ( well not FT cause it has one , LOL ) . But all my Arrma 6s rigs get motor fans always !!!!

For the record , if it was still mine , and I was ripping it around and this happened ( ESC let go ) , I would not be putting that crap back in it , it would be getting a Max6 . But , he / they are not very RC savvy , need it to be factory / plug and play , ntm , it would be even more work for me to redo the mounting / motor extension wires / solder on TRX plugs / ntm cost more . JennysRC $109 for the ESC , but will call my LHS to see how much from them , which they really always take care of me .
Good on you buddy. Could be the difference between having a new race/bash buddy or not.. having a failure so quickly could easily sway most folks away from the hobby.
FWIW, seems the 6s VXL's are the most prone to failure..between my brother and I, we have 5-3s, 2-4s, 3-6s and 2-8s VXL's. Only failures to date have been 2 of the 3 6s esc's. Not sure why🤷‍♂️

No because both trucks ( fully charged batts ) servos work perfectly . I know what you are saying cause this happened in my friends RTR K6S , the servo died and it wouldn't allow the esc to work ( learned the hard way , replaced ESC and that wasn't it ) , new servo , everything worked !!!
I researched and many . many reports of this VXL 6s ESC in the Erevo 2.0 / UDR / Sledge giving shitting the bed . If the truck were still mine , I'd throw a Max6 in it , but I will just get a new one from JRC and be done with it .
The servos may still be the cause. Despite them working. Disconnect the servos to see if the ESC's come back to life.
Just one normal step to take when troubleshooting ESC issues.

For all these reasons i never sell stuff to friends. Either its a gift or nothing. (and i can be pretty generous to peope who deserve/not afford)

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth
Yep been there.
Selling anything to friends and family, usually comes back to haunt you. I avoid that from exper. also.
Mixing Family and Business together, in any shape or form, rarely works out. Becomes a monkey on your back. Wanting to share this hobby is one thing. Just that we all use and care for our RC stuff differently. Stuff breaks for many reasons. I hate to own others issues, only because it belonged to me at one time. Selling RC's to that inexperienced friend or family is a recipe for distaster, and sometimes with ill feelings.
And the UDR is not for the faint of heart to begin with.

Last edited:
Worth a try , but unplugged servo , still nothing with ESC.

IMG_2770.jpeg

Don't want to be that guy, but why is it your issue?

Even if it's my best mate, he isn't getting an ESC out of me after buying it, especially in a bash where he broke his existing one
I’m with you. If my buddy has an esc go bad then my buddy needs to buy an esc no me. There’s no telling what he did to break two trucks.

I’m with you. If my buddy has an esc go bad then my buddy needs to buy an esc no me. There’s no telling what he did to break two trucks.
I agree to a point , if the truck came back hammered and shows signs that he used it multiple battery packs , I'd go with that , what did he do ? But it didn't , the truck ran for about 5 minutes , came back pretty much as clean as I gave it to him which is how I know he only ran it for a very short time , not enough time to heat the death out of it . You can't plug the batteries in backwards on a TRX , so he didn't do that .
Again , reverse the roles , you buy an RC from a friend , it lasts 5 minutes and esc dies , you're ok with that ? You're not going to say something to your buddy ? I truly believe this was crap luck that both died , ntm , mine that was in a lot better shape than his . How do I know that even if it were still mine , and me driving it , it wouldn't have died in those 5 minutes ?
I researched and this ESC ( 3485 ) 6s VXL that is in the E-Revo 2.0 / Sledge / and UDR are crap to start with and fail all the time , either with minimal runs on them or lots .
I have 2 ESC's coming from Jennys ( $109 each ) as we speak , he's paying for the one in his , I'm eating the one form mine . I did explain all this to him , and said expect them to fail again , when , who knows . After this one , he's on his own with them .
FWIW , he even said to me lets work something out as he feels bad about me having to eat the one in mine that failed . NTM , he IS paying me to open up and fix his , so the hit for me really won't be that bad , just my labor and who cares .

OK , so no more dead 2 UDR's ! Put the first one in the blue one ( mine I sold him ) , turned it on / calibrated throttle , works smooth and perfectly .
Then installed the next one in my buddies ( white one ) , which is way more beat than mine . Turned it on , tried to calibrate the radio throttle/neutral/brake ,...... and it wouldn't calibrate to brake/reverse ???????? I'm like WTF , bad ESC right out of the package ???? On a whim , decided to try my extra TQi sitting around from my Xmaxx , and it works , or so I thought !!! It calibrates perfectly , but when you hit maybe 30% it takes off like it's full throttle . Tried multiple times calibrating , even reset the radio itself ,..... no doing !!! On another whim , tried the extra RTR radio from my K8S RTR , and bingo !!!! Calibrated first try , and runs the truck perfectly smooth all through the throttle range !!!! Sold it to him for $30 !!!
So not only was his ESC bad , his radio is/was broken to !!!!
Anyway , the trucks are done !!! Drove the white one around for about 10 minutes in my backyard , temp'd the motor , whew !!! 190 !!!!! The UDR absolutely sucks for summer running with limited air flow getting to the motor , ntm , no fan on it !!!
After all this with these UDR's , I am now in the mood to go bash my ole reliable Mojave !!! LOL

Get rid of that crappy TRX ESC already. Why stayng with that? Just being a glutten for punishment.:rolleyes:
Even the Spektrum 8s ESC is way better. Which is not much to say.......

Get rid of that crappy TRX ESC already. Why stayng with that? Just being a glutten for punishment.:rolleyes:
Even the Spektrum 8s ESC is way better. Which is not much to say.......
Believe me , I hear you , if the truck was still ,mine , it would have gotten a Max 6 !!! But remember , my friend is not very RC savvy , needs plug and play / factory batteries / chargers ! he doesn't even want to get aftermarket charger to speed things up !!! The TRX charger takes foreverrrrrrrr to put them in storage !!!
As I said , repaired and out of my life with these UDR's !!! After driving them in my back yard , my excitement of them is over , and even though I love SCT's / Desert trucks for the scale driving experience , this solidifies me into NOT even considering the new Losi Baja Rey 1/10 2.0 , which also flips over just looking at it !!!
I'll stick with my Mojave !!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back