What dumb mistakes have you made working on RCs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried the dish soap hack for my new truck body, completely wasted the design. Now we have the Ugly Duckling build coming soon.

I got a diff shim I found a few days ago. Not sure what truck it is from.

My first time soldering QS8 connectors on batteries I created an arc when using pliers to crimp down the spark shield thing. Thankfully the pliers had rubber grips or else I would have gotten a nice tingle from the battery quickly discharging. I screamed like a child.

I was pretty ripped the other day and soldered an EC5 onto a battery that came with deans. Came out great as usual. Then I plugged it into my pan car and the ESC started smoking.

Upon inspection I had soldered the leads reversed.
Just did that last weekend except I caught my mistake. Hope your esc still works but I'm thinking not.

I have a huge box of various screws, nuts, and other items that I have no idea what they are for. Obviously I’m great at taking stuff apart but putting it together? Not so much. I have a 8-9 rigs. Never shimmed a diff. Changed my diff oil. Shock oil. I should probably do that. I think I have some more room for “where’s this go?” Screws and gears. I guess YouTube is my best friend! I’m thinking about tearing my Talion down and replacing the bearings. Clean and shim. See if I can put it back together and learn by doing. Cause the things on hear are to me next level mistakes that I can’t even attempt! 😆

Soldered a EC3 plug on my daughters new ESC, her battery is an EC5. Oops.

Glued tires with the thread pattern facing the same direction. Had to buy another set to balance out my mistake.

Glued tires with the thread pattern facing the same direction. Had to buy another set to balance out my mistake.
That reminded me. I forgot to seal the vent hole on the inside of the rim on new sand paddle tyres. Foams got full of sand and weighed a tonne. Had to buy a new set.

Back