What dumb mistakes have you made working on RCs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HZRDOS

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
  2. Outcast 4s
  3. Outcast EXB
  4. Talion EXB
Ok....so I changed my rear diff fluid few weeks ago. Still in middle of build, so only run a few packs for testing between upgrades....BUT - just realized this morning when looking at my diff fluid bottles....I put in 30WT SHOCK OIL....NOT 30K DIFF FLUID!!!!

Was wondering why it has hard to keep straight on wheelies and hard acceleration. HAHAHA

I thought the new tires were just a much harder compound. Switching to the correct bottle today.

The dumbest thing I have done recently which is probably classed as a school boy error .. was testing something on my exb6 and turned transmitter on .. thought I had selected the correct model on tx .. switched on kraton and it instantly tore across the front room at full beans .. ending up in my dogs bed upside down tires ballooning. . Glad to say .. dog was not in his bed at the time ..wrong channel selected on tx ..

I was pretty ripped the other day and soldered an EC5 onto a battery that came with deans. Came out great as usual. Then I plugged it into my pan car and the ESC started smoking.

Upon inspection I had soldered the leads reversed.

"Picture? Nah, I'll remember how this goes back together."
Done that many times in the past. Used to draw out pictures with wiring. Now, most of us have a camera in your pocket. Saved my bacon numerous times. And not just RCs. Sometimes you have to order parts. Might take a week to get them. Than make the time to work on it.....

Can't think of anything dumb while working on them. Plenty while running them. Lol.

I forgot to tighten the motor plate down good and the motor slide out of position as soon as I braked at around 100ish mph. I put it in a ditch.

Also. Another time, I plugged a lipo in backwards and it vaporized the brass bullet.

20221119_163837.jpg

1670467211323716624900242616105.jpg

"Picture? Nah, I'll remember how this goes back together."
Exactly this. Bought 2 brand new complete gp5 diffs from Jenny's & opened them up to put the fluid in there. Didn’t realize that they are reversed to my typhon diffs & couldn't figure out for the life of me why they were binding so badly! Lots of cussing, adding shims, removing shims, more cussing before I finally figured it out 😆😕🤦‍♂️

Did a diff rebuild put the diff back together filled it up with fluid went to put it back in the car and then noticed the bearings still sitting on my workbench..........................
I was pretty ripped the other day and soldered an EC5 onto a battery that came with deans. Came out great as usual. Then I plugged it into my pan car and the ESC started smoking.

Upon inspection I had soldered the leads reversed.
I've done that before.

Then there was also the time I put a battery connector on my esc instead of the esc connector.

Last edited:
Or how about soldering a new qs8 on a battery then realizing I forgot to put the cap thingy on the leads 1st 😆
All of the time with my XT connectors.

All of the time with my XT connectors.
Glad I'm not the only one!!😅 Actually watched @ARRMA-GET’M do a qs8 soldering tutorial vid where he forgot to put the cap thingy on too, really made me feel better about my "skills"😁

Did a diff rebuild put the diff back together filled it up with fluid went to put it back in the car and then noticed the bearings still sitting on my workbench.......

☝️ ☝️ ☝️THIS!! Done it a few times! 🤦‍♂️

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back