Whats the gas prices in your area?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything costs so much more right now then 2-3 years ago. Based on my personal bills. Not based on anything but what I’m paying monthly is at least 50% more now than 2-3 years back. What was $1200 a month in groceries is now $1800 a month in groceries, at least…
Which
is $600 a month I can’t spend on my rc’s 😱😭😭😭😭😫

You're proving my point. Gas in Dec 2020 was higher than in the middle of the lockdowns when no one was driving. It started trending upwards slowly after the worst of the pandemic, which happened in spring and summer 2020. As demand for gasoline came back online, and people started driving more, gas prices went back up. Supply and demand.

I'm not sure what's "funny" about you acknowledging the data I presented. Maybe I missed a joke.
He shut down oil in Alaska and in the Gulf in JAN/FEB of 2021 and according to your very chart you posted that's when it all started on its way UP. Oil is global, when you shut down refineries you stress the others ensuring push inflation. Supply and demand just like you stated.

Based on your logic, once demand went back up and the lockdowns were all over, we should have had enough to supply everyone just like before the lockdowns! YEP! The best part of this, we have the highest standards on oil productivity due to the EPA. There is no such thing as the EPA in other oil producing countries. If we make it, its cleaner to the environment. It's being made either way, why not make the most in the USA and sell it. But who am I to state how to make money. Why did he close those refineries down, that's another can of beans, and I can't open that can in here.
Everything costs so much more right now then 2-3 years ago. Based on my personal bills. Not based on anything but what I’m paying monthly is at least 50% more now than 2-3 years back. What was $1200 a month in groceries is now $1800 a month in groceries, at least…
Which
is $600 a month I can’t spend on my rc’s 😱😭😭😭😭😫
Most don't realize that product can see 3-12 different gas hikes before it hits the shelves. Take product from the fields, fuel, move it to a machine to clean it, more fuel, move it to packaging, more fuel, ship it on container ships or trucks, more fuel, truck it to distribution, more fuel, truck it into stores, more fuel. I'm wit ya!

Last edited:
He shut down oil in Alaska and in the Gulf in JAN/FEB of 2021
Who?

By the way, this claim is false. No one shut down oil production in the US in 2021. The US's oil production was the same in 2021 that it was in 2020, which wouldn't be the case if our refineries were actually shuttered.
https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=pet&s=mcrfpus2&f=a

All the data you need is in the above link, as well as the following article: https://www.poynter.org/fact-checki...on-in-bidens-first-year-is-on-par-with-trump/
according to your very chart you posted that's when it all started on its way UP

That's the exact time that demand for gasoline started increasing significantly. Which is exactly what analysts for GasBuddy have said is the cause behind the price increases.

Oil is global, when you shut down refineries you stress the others ensuring push inflation

Yes, which is why gas prices went up across the globe due to refineries shutting down during the pandemic.

Based on your logic, once demand went back up and the lockdowns were all over, we should have had enough to supply everyone just like before the lockdowns

No. The refineries that were shut down during the pandemic across the globe (in 2020, not 2021) took time to come back online. The recent decrease in prices is a result of many refineries finally recovering from being shuttered in 2020. OPEC's oil production finally recovered to pre-pandemic levels in the past month.

Why did he close those refineries down, that's another can of beans, and I can't open that can in here

Again, who? I haven't mentioned anyone in particular, I'm just talking about the market forces that led to this situation.

Who?

By the way, this claim is false. No one shut down oil production in the US in 2021. The US's oil production was the same in 2021 that it was in 2020, which wouldn't be the case if our refineries were actually shuttered.
https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=pet&s=mcrfpus2&f=a

All the data you need is in the above link, as well as the following article: https://www.poynter.org/fact-checki...on-in-bidens-first-year-is-on-par-with-trump/

That's the exact time that demand for gasoline started increasing significantly. Which is exactly what analysts for GasBuddy have said is the cause behind the price increases.

Yes, which is why gas prices went up across the globe due to refineries shutting down during the pandemic.

No. The refineries that were shut down during the pandemic across the globe (in 2020, not 2021) took time to come back online. The recent decrease in prices is a result of many refineries finally recovering from being shuttered in 2020. OPEC's oil production finally recovered to pre-pandemic levels in the past month.

Again, who? I haven't mentioned anyone in particular, I'm just talking about the market forces that led to this situation.
The oil companies shut down their own oil fields during Covid due to reduced demand. They didn’t have anywhere to stash it. The entire supply chain was full because people weren’t driving. As soon as the world went back to “normal” driving, maybe even more driving as they were making up for lost time, it takes a while for these oil fields to ramp production back up. What the US gov did was look at all the available land leases that were NOT in use and said if you’re not using all of these leases, you don’t need more. What the oil industry would say to that is it takes years of exploring and testing to figure out where to drill on a given lease. It’s expensive to set up a rig and they don’t do it willy-nilly. So while it might appear they aren’t using the leases, they could be evaluating it behind the scenes and are legitimately working the land.

None of this explains the windfall profits that the oil companies are reporting tho. They have used the Covid excuse to gouge the public, just as most other corporations have. Just listen to earning calls where they are legally required to tell the truth. They boast about how much more earnings they had than they planned for. They shot for the moon and landed on Pluto.

The culprit isn’t right or left, it’s both. Both sides enable their corporate lords to rape and plunder the citizens of the world. All leaders have failed us. How do you take back the power from those that hold it? Or do you just accept you’re a lemming and make the best of it?

The oil companies shut down their own oil fields during Covid due to reduced demand. They didn’t have anywhere to stash it. The entire supply chain was full because people weren’t driving. As soon as the world went back to “normal” driving, maybe even more driving as they were making up for lost time, it takes a while for these oil fields to ramp production back up. What the US gov did was look at all the available land leases that were NOT in use and said if you’re not using all of these leases, you don’t need more. What the oil industry would say to that is it takes years of exploring and testing to figure out where to drill on a given lease. It’s expensive to set up a rig and they don’t do it willy-nilly. So while it might appear they aren’t using the leases, they could be evaluating it behind the scenes and are legitimately working the land.

None of this explains the windfall profits that the oil companies are reporting tho. They have used the Covid excuse to gouge the public, just as most other corporations have. Just listen to earning calls where they are legally required to tell the truth. They boast about how much more earnings they had than they planned for. They shot for the moon and landed on Pluto.

The culprit isn’t right or left, it’s both. Both sides enable their corporate lords to rape and plunder the citizens of the world. All leaders have failed us. How do you take back the power from those that hold it? Or do you just accept you’re a lemming and make the best of it?
Most of what you said here is what I was driving at, yes. I wasn't making anything political (I know the rules of the forum), just dealing with some particularly bad and widespread misconceptions about what has affected gas prices over the past two years.

Lots of people who confuse correlation for causation and are desperate for partisan talking points.

So you did learn something from me in that other thread lol what you failed to mention though is he could’ve as easily re-issued those leases on land we’re gas/ oil is already known instead of going out and drilling for new ghost oil I’m sure you remember that post Jon.

We're on an average plan bc we have lots of baseboard heaters in the basement so it was jumping up in the winter. We pay about $260 on average a month, year long.

Many of you are past these years, but the school wanted $340.00 for school supplies pack for 2 of my kids this year.
I was able to save a little buying the items on sales at Staples, but still crazy for the cost. Shoes for my 10-year-old seem to run $80-120 and last him 6 months if I am lucky. (he is wearing a men's size 9 already)

The wife dropped over $500 in groceries last week.
Electric was $330 (nearly new home is more efficient)
Texas drought and most days over 100 leads to a water bill over $230

My wallet is hurting!!!!!

We're on an average plan bc we have lots of baseboard heaters in the basement so it was jumping up in the winter. We pay about $260 on average a month, year long.
At the rate things are going, We may have to get on the budget plan at my house..
Many of you are past these years, but the school wanted $340.00 for school supplies pack for 2 of my kids this year.
I was able to save a little buying the items on sales at Staples, but still crazy for the cost. Shoes for my 10-year-old seem to run $80-120 and last him 6 months if I am lucky. (he is wearing a men's size 9 already)

The wife dropped over $500 in groceries last week.
Electric was $330 (nearly new home is more efficient)
Texas drought and most days over 100 leads to a water bill over $230

My wallet is hurting!!!!!
Okay, I'll just shut up and pay my utility bill now!! 😔😉

So you did learn something from me in that other thread lol what you failed to mention though is he could’ve as easily re-issued those leases on land we’re gas/ oil is already known instead of going out and drilling for new ghost oil I’m sure you remember that post Jon.
Maybe you’re reading more into my post, but I don’t think he retracted leases, as you allude to, just that he didn’t issue new leases since the existing leases weren’t being utilized from their perspective. They paused issuing new leases only. They restarted issuing new leases last month.

“Sec. 208. Oil and Natural Gas Development on Public Lands and in Offshore Waters. To the extent consistent with applicable law,the Secretary of the Interior shall pause new oil and natural gas leases on public lands or in offshore waters pending completion of a comprehensive review and reconsideration of Federal oil and gas permitting and leasing practices in light of the Secretary of the Interior’s broad stewardship responsibilities over the public lands and in offshore waters, including potential climate and other impacts associated with oil and gas activities on public lands or in offshore waters. The Secretary of the Interior shall complete that review in consultation with the Secretary of Agriculture, the Secretary of Commerce, through the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the Secretary of Energy. In conducting this analysis, and to the extent consistent with applicable law, the Secretary of the Interior shall consider whether to adjust royalties associated with coal, oil, and gas resources extracted from public lands and offshore waters, or take other appropriate action, to account for corresponding climate costs.”

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...ckling-the-climate-crisis-at-home-and-abroad/

Maybe you’re reading more into my post, but I don’t think he retracted leases, as you allude to, just that he didn’t issue new leases since the existing leases weren’t being utilized from their perspective. They paused issuing new leases only. They restarted issuing new leases last month.

“Sec. 208. Oil and Natural Gas Development on Public Lands and in Offshore Waters. To the extent consistent with applicable law,the Secretary of the Interior shall pause new oil and natural gas leases on public lands or in offshore waters pending completion of a comprehensive review and reconsideration of Federal oil and gas permitting and leasing practices in light of the Secretary of the Interior’s broad stewardship responsibilities over the public lands and in offshore waters, including potential climate and other impacts associated with oil and gas activities on public lands or in offshore waters. The Secretary of the Interior shall complete that review in consultation with the Secretary of Agriculture, the Secretary of Commerce, through the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the Secretary of Energy. In conducting this analysis, and to the extent consistent with applicable law, the Secretary of the Interior shall consider whether to adjust royalties associated with coal, oil, and gas resources extracted from public lands and offshore waters, or take other appropriate action, to account for corresponding climate costs.”

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...ckling-the-climate-crisis-at-home-and-abroad/
I know exactly why he didn’t renew the leases can’t discuss that here come find me in the other thread though, more than happy to straighten you out😉

At no point were we "energy independent" in 2020. There was a brief period of time where our exports roughly matched our imports for the sole reason that no one was driving in the middle of the 2020 lockdowns. That's it.

Prior to the 2020 pandemic, gas prices were approaching $3/ gal in many places in the US. Not that far off from what the average is currently, in many states. If you don't believe me, check here: https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=EMM_EPMR_PTE_NUS_DPG&f=M

We can go back to lockdowns if y'all would like lower gas prices though. For me, I'm quite happy with the direction those prices are headed, and I've never considered a difference of a dollar or so at the pump to be something worth freaking out about.
Thanks for the intelligent expanation.👍👍
BTW, 3.39 here as well.
Diesel is about to drop below 4.00.

...Any more world events looming that will further destabilize the global economy and fuel shortages... yep.
This crap ain't over.

Last edited:
Back