What's your "budget" LiPo of choice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How are those batteries holding up? Im in the market since 1 of my 3s died. Did you find any with xt90 connectors?

I got a Goldbat. No problems. Just get whatever is cheapest. I haven't see the 4s as cheap as I got it, for a little more than the current price I might go for the HRB hard case one.
I soldered on the XT90, like 5 pairs for a few bucks.

When I got into this hobby about a year ago, I quickly found out that cost can be a barrier to entry if you make bad purchases and bad decisions. When I decided to make the switch to LiPo batteries, I did a ton of research on "budget" LiPo batteries on various online forums. I was looking for a battery that was reliable, good quality, and one that would not break the bank. With that being said, I decided on 2 suppliers: SPC Racing Batteries and SMC Racing Batteries. I run a 5000mAh, 50C, 2S SPC Racing LiPo ($33) in my Fury BLX and could not be happier with the performance. I also run a pair of 2500mAh, 50C, 2S SPC Racing LiPos ($20 each) in my mini E-Revo and a 5000mAh, 50C, 3S SMC Racing LiPo ($40) in my Axial Yeti.

So, what's your battery of choice? Hopefully this thread can help out someone who is just getting into the hobby or someone who is looking for a different pack to try.
I have been looking at inexpensive lipo batteries for a while at Amazon. There’s a brand called “Zeee” that I’ve tried. You can get them in both hard and soft cases. They seem to work pretty well. I have not had any problems with them yet!

I've only tried powerhobby and SMC. They have worked very well for me since I got into the hobby late last year. I also have a lectron pro, but I think it's overpriced. Same thing with the Spektrum batteries (bought two of those when I had my granite BLX 4x4).

I don't have a budget of choice but use what works for me so far. Not really expensive and hardcase.View attachment 58135
I no longer recommend SMC lipos, out of these 5 lipos I've purchased, 3 out of the 5 have puffed. One has never been run and split the case, other 2 has puffed at one cycle. Extremely dissapointed!!! ?????$$$$$

20200121_163452.jpg
20200121_163436.jpg
20200121_163733.jpg

What are you recommending instead?
I'm not recommending any brand ever again, all I know that my SMC packs are poop to say it mildly. I will never spend another dime with them, now have to figure out what to buy next that does not puff before or after their first rum or two.

I'm not recommending any brand ever again, all I know that my SMC packs are poop to say it mildly. I will never spend another dime with them, now have to figure out what to buy next that does not puff before or after their first rum or two.
My venom batteries were big bucks. 1 of 2 of the 3s went, so basically im out of 2 batteries because i cant use a 3s for anything else. I have a power hobby 4s which is another expensive brand and its still going strong but i have to admit i used the 3s batteries (6s) more frequently then the 4s powerhobby. Now i just looking for a deal on the best i can get for the money. Please lmk if you find anything decent and good luck. Oh and thanks for posting ... i was just about to buy a 6s smc!

Now i just looking for a deal on the best i can get for the money. Please lmk if you find anything decent and good luck. Oh and thanks for posting ... i was just about to buy a 6s smc!
No problem and Thanks! I don't know what direction to go, back to square one. When I joined this forum, many had praised SMC lipos, now I know better with 3 failures. Owner claims their new lipos fair better, something called DV or something on that line, but guess what, they can keep em!!

No problem and Thanks! I don't know what direction to go, back to square one. When I joined this forum, many had praised SMC lipos, now I know better with 3 failures. Owner claims their new lipos fair better, something called DV or something on that line, but guess what, they can keep em!!
Ive decided to get another powerhobby lipo. My 4s powerhobby is impressive for power and run time. It works and price is not bad. RcDude81 wraps soft packs in some gorilla tape, so if its good for him ill give it a shot. $87 for 6s

Just ordered the powerhobby. I ordered off amazon since i had some credit. Price was the same as on website. One thing i did notice was that amazon offers a full warranty for $11 covering 3 years on the battery. Pretty interesting and thought about it but cheaped out at the last minute. Didnt have time to read all the details but just a fyi, might be an option to those who have lost alot of lipos.

Lipos are a mixed bag.
Hence the controversy over "which one is better" I have this and I have that ….Got many different brands 14 lipos in all. Expensive and cheap. Name brand and generic rebrands.
I wouldn't tell someone which toilet paper to use, and what is the best to wipe your!@#$%^.Thats a personal call and experience. All differing.
So, I don't recommend batteries.
Just buy what you feel like and form your opinion. Its your wallet. Not mine.
(y):)

I also had the same issues with SMC and no longer buy them. I had two 9200mah 4S lipos puff for no reason, always balanced charged and stored over winter and they puffed. And I had a 3s lipo do the same. I recommend HBR or Turnigy Graphene now that’s what I use. HRB are awsome. Great prices and haven’t had issues yet!

Which brand is best, is just a loaded question. Lipos come from limited sources and are just rebrands. Different packaging. One Brand is not necessarily best over another. Buy what your pocket allows, hold your breath and just bash. How you care for lipos is what matters most. And how you charge them and store them. They all seem to puff out and fail at some point. All of them. Bashing causes extreme impacts physically to lipo packs. They get abused. Part of the hobby. Why split hairs over which is best. Because I spent $200. for a lipo doesn't mean it is must be the best. If anything, it makes me look stupid. I wont mention any brands here.

Which brand is best, is just a loaded question. Lipos come from limited sources and are just rebrands. Different packaging. One Brand is not necessarily best over another. Buy what your pocket allows, hold your breath and just bash. How you care for lipos is what matters most. And how you charge them and store them. They all seem to puff out and fail at some point. All of them. Bashing causes extreme impacts physically to lipo packs. They get abused. Part of the hobby. Why split hairs over which is best. Because I spent $200. for a lipo doesn't mean it is must be the best. If anything, it makes me look stupid. I wont mention any brands here.
While your very right and I go by your above advice with lipos, I will say I did buy a 5450 4s max amps pack about 3-4 years ago and the thing is still charging up and balancing and storing with no issues it’s amazed me. I don’t know if it was just a good batch or what but I will say I never spent that much again on a lipo ?. I bought this one for my V2 Talion my first Arrma! But that’s some good advice. This is why I learnt to enjoy HRB. Really good prices and I don’t notice any difference compared to a Turnigy lipo or SMC. I think though my Turnigy Graphene has a noticable punch difference in my 1/8 buggies on the track or mabey I imagine it haha

Attachments

• 095BC001-6610-466E-BE5E-8BE6717A4299.jpeg
    095BC001-6610-466E-BE5E-8BE6717A4299.jpeg
    357 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: SrC
While your very right and I go by your above advice with lipos, I will say I did buy a 5450 4s max amps pack about 3-4 years ago and the thing is still charging up and balancing and storing with no issues it’s amazed me. I don’t know if it was just a good batch or what but I will say I never spent that much again on a lipo ?. I bought this one for my V2 Talion my first Arrma! But that’s some good advice. This is why I learnt to enjoy HRB. Really good prices and I don’t notice any difference compared to a Turnigy lipo or SMC. I think though my Turnigy Graphene has a noticable punch difference in my 1/8 buggies on the track or mabey I imagine it haha
I recently got 2 3s 5000 100C Yoowoo Graphenes. Decent price compared to any other comparable Graphene pack. Yoowoo is made by HRB. Construction is the best I've seen in any soft pack. Are they really 100C? Probably half that. Shipped at 3.8 volts. Near perfect balance across cells. I am not recommending them as better than anything else. I merely saw the price, it was Graphene and pulled the plug. I have a broad range of Lipos cheap and expensive. I see no real difference. They all fail at some point sooner or later. What is best? Who knows.
I have one gens-ace-r-spam 2S lipo (one of two identical packs that is more than 3 years old) and the specs are dead on. The other pack is on its last leg. They were used in series together and cycled the same amount. gens-ace-r-spam are not cheap and well regarded in general.:unsure:

Last edited:
I recently got 2 3s 5000 100C Yoowoo Graphenes. Decent price compared to any other comparable Graphene pack. Yoowoo is made by HRB. Construction is the best I've seen in any soft pack. Are they really 100C? Probably half that. Shipped at 3.8 volts. Near perfect balance across cells. I am not recommending them as better than anything else. I merely saw the price, it was Graphene and pulled the plug. I have a broad range of Lipos cheap and expensive. I see no real difference. They all fail at some point sooner or later. What is best? Who knows.
I have one gens-ace-r-spam 2S lipo (one of two identical packs that is more than 3 years old) and the specs are dead on. The other pack is on its last leg. They were used in series together and cycled the same amount. gens-ace-r-spam are not cheap and well regarded in general.:unsure:
Good to know I was thinking to try the YooWoo and I’ve been really happy with HRB. I’ll give them a try. I am like you have many lipo and all seem the same. It’s almost a luck thing which ones will last. As you said two of the same lipos and one is perfect the other failing I have the same happening now with some dynamite old packs. Nice ya I really like gensacearespammers I’ve never had one go bad either good lipos. But I guess there are only so many suppliers of lipo batteries and just rebranding etc. I like your advice “buy what you want and can afford “ haha it isn’t our wallets. But yes the “cheap” lipos have suprised me a lot I basically try them for myself and find what’s best for me.

I also have an HRB 6S soft brick that was mediocre out the gate. Poor construction. Looks like crap. Had to re-wrap it with Gori. tape. But still runs ok like it always did. Been consistent at least. IR's are climbing with use. That's normal. That sucker is big and heavy. Broke a battery tray early on. But it was fairly cheap. I could toss it tomorrow and not cry about it. Almost a year old. Maybe 25 cycles through it right now. I wont hold my breath though.

So I'm too inebriated to navigate the forum successfully, but I think someone in this thread recommended I try the Performa brand graphene hv lipos for my competition 2wd buggy. Just wanted to say thank you for the recommendation! They are at the minimum as good as my protek hv graphenes and they are a great freaking price, and shipped hella fast. Whoever you were that recommended them, you're a saint and I love you. Bought three to test and they're all really really good performers and have a pretty good and very very even IR. Between the cells. So thanks again whoever you were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back