TT-02 good for street racing/bashing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hector_Fisher

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton EXB
Help me spend my money!!!

Can anyone recommend me for or against the TT02 for street bashing and racing? Likely would swap over to a brushless system and run on 3s. Would also swap out for BBs from the get go.

Buddy and I run SCT410.3's on our empty parking lot impromptu race tracks we set up. The SCT handles fine and it's a riot on 4s and street tires, but they obviously aren't built for fast cornering and street handling. Looking to get something cheap to try out, and at about $120 for the tt02 (plus some extra change for whatever upgrades you want), seems like it might be a good place to start.

Bad idea? Good idea? Or better alternatives?

Can anyone recommend me for or against the TT02 for street bashing and racing? Likely would swap over to a brushless system and run on 3s. Would also swap out for BBs from the get go.

Buddy and I run SCT410.3's on our empty parking lot impromptu race tracks we set up. The SCT handles fine and it's a riot on 4s and street tires, but they obviously aren't built for fast cornering and street handling. Looking to get something cheap to try out, and at about $120 for the tt02 (plus some extra change for whatever upgrades you want), seems like it might be a good place to start.

Not completely sure. I bought a TT02 911 kit on black Friday from amain for $112. Haven't started it yet. Got two others I'm wrenching on. I did get full BB. But I watched several YT on a TT02 brushless on 2s & it ripped. Light & nimble, very fast. I found several of drifting. So there's a lot I mean a lot of aftermarket support for the TT02 whatever way you go.

You might want to check out tamiyaclub.com. Huge active community of Tamiya fans.

while the tekno sct is obviously not a street machine, it is still a high-end kit. The tt-02 is very bare bones. It does have a huge amount of aftermarket support but by the time you buy all those parts maybe you were better off with a higher end kit.

The Tamiya guys will help you out. I don’t have the tt02 but I do have a lot of teknos and Tamiyas and they are from different planets (I love both - just very different).

The tt02 is a fine bashing chassis or spec racer. Should handle pretty well for what your doin. There are tons of upgrades that can be had for cheap if you find something you'd like a little more tunable.
Out of the box they are a little sloppy but with a little work can be pretty decent.

Definitely buy a bearing set to go with it and while your at it get the yeah racing adjustable motor mount so you can more easily play with gearing. There are two types of mounts. Drilled pre-determined or slotted, I'd go for the slotted.

I say go for it! They're amazing fun for the money 😁

Built my first tt02 kit few months ago after only owned arrmas. Very fun build. I put a Max10 combo in it and I run on 3s. Yup it way overpowered. I run it on lowest punch setting and also tweaked my throttle expo on my transmitter.

Was pretty uncontrollable until I packed both diffs with some sticky putty.

Once I modded the diffs, I could drift and slide more easily. It’s super fast but once you start going top speed run it becomes uncontrollable so you gotta be real gentle wit the throttle.

Overall it’s a cheap ish and fun car. I call it my mini arrma felony.
IMG_9227.jpeg
IMG_9109.jpeg

Last edited:
Hmm I did some more looking around. I've never owned a Tamiya. I know I know :eek: and it does seem like it might need some hopups eventually. But yeah it does look like it can street bash pretty well.

I'd just as soon pick up a tekno EB48 2.1 since I know that would do great at everything. But I'm lacking the $1200 to build a proper kit :ROFLMAO:

Hmm I did some more looking around. I've never owned a Tamiya. I know I know :eek: and it does seem like it might need some hopups eventually. But yeah it does look like it can street bash pretty well.

I'd just as soon pick up a tekno EB48 2.1 since I know that would do great at everything. But I'm lacking the $1200 to build a proper kit :ROFLMAO:

Tamiya to someone who has never built one or been around when Tamiya was huge- probably isn't nearly as impressive up close.
They sort of have a "cult" following.

To me they are absolutely awesome.

To others may seem borderline "toy grade" even though they aren't. Their desigs on a lot of what they offer is just how things used to be built. Like commonly everything. They sort of just stuck with it over the years. That's not to say they don't build some of today's most up to date flat out competition cars either- because they do that also. But not for $120.

They are something special. Extremely fun to build and Extremely cheap. They have some of the best bodies around in my opinion with hpi being a close 2nd.

I'd love to have an army of Tamiya cars just to show case all thier bodies on display around the house. Maybe when I get a new house 😁

These are just a couple pics of my recent Tamiya m06 Lotus Europa I built. I built 2 of them.
Built a ton of them in my 30 years in the hobby.

20221228_014821.jpg

20221226_033214.jpg

20221226_035311.jpg

Just me, but I think the TT02 would be best on 2s packs. Maybe I am wrong.
Just it is a TC. You can't expect much out of it on 3s. Both Handling and durability wise. This is surely subjective to how you plan on running it.

Just it is a TC. You can't expect much out of it on 3s. Both Handling and durability wise. This is surely subjective to how you plan on running it.

They were designed around 7.4 nicd's.

Won't last long on 3s unless upgraded

They were designed around 7.4 nicd's.

Won't last long on 3s unless upgraded
Good to know! Sometimes it's hard to pick apart the bologna you hear on YouTube of people saying it runs "super well one 3s" or stuff like that.

I'll take that into consideration as I don't have any 2s packs, so I'd need to tack that onto the cost.

Good to know! Sometimes it's hard to pick apart the bologna you hear on YouTube of people saying it runs "super well one 3s" or stuff like that.

I'll take that into consideration as I don't have any 2s packs, so I'd need to tack that onto the cost.

They can run 3s... but you gotta be smarter with it. If you blast it full throttle from a stop constant and strain the diffs they aren't gonna like it..
Parts are soooo easy and cheap I say send it. You find the weak link and upgrade that for super cheap and so on.

The yeah racing upgrades do very well on the tamiya tt02's and are very cheap.
Never get the tamiya hop ups, way way over priced. Set of hubs is like $75 😬

I've run my TA TC3 on 3s packs. depending on gearing, can be a bear to handle. Depends how you want to drive them. You can bash anything around and have great fun. Just that most, not all TC's, were meant for the track IMHO. Drive trains can be delicate. Especially if locked F-R, and running ball diffs.

I've run my TA TC3 on 3s packs. depending on gearing, can be a bear to handle. Depends how you want to drive them. You can bash anything around and have great fun. Just that most, not all TC's, were meant for the track IMHO. Drive trains can be delicate. Especially if locked F-R, and running ball diffs.

Folks can underestimate how fast a 1/10 on-road can be on 2s let alone 3s.

Far from the heavy so called 1/10 sct's and mt's, a 1/10 onroad can be a missile on 2s alone.

It can be done though.

Far from the heavy so called 1/10 sct's and mt's, a 1/10 onroad can be a missile on 2s alone.

It can be done though.
Perhaps. The spot we have is rather unique in that we use quite a bit of this large empty, cordoned off parking lot. So typically our courses that we set up are 1/10 scale size approaching 1/8 scale. That's not to say we couldn't downsize for smaller cars, but I think I might be used to having large, half-parking lot size straights. So running 4s on the SCT410's we use generally makes sense for that. On 2s or 3s for the SCTs we'd most likely be having heat issues with tall gearing to try and maximize speed on the straights. Knowing I'd end up making longer than normal straights with something like a tt02 even on a smaller track (we tend to like that style), I'd likely end up trying out 3s to hopefully keep heat down while still having some top end, and without sacrificing too much low end grunt for the corners.

Would a 10th scale buggy/truggy handle any of this better than say a tt02?

Appreciate the thoughts. I'll chew on any of this stuff you want to send me ;)

I think 1/10 scale is too small for bashing especially touring cars any small bump or stone will throw it all over the place. I use my talion for on road bashing sometimes and its great

Find some buddies to race and it’s ridiculously fun. They drive fine, we can’t beat them on street tracks with any bashers. It seems like such junk but they’re really fun and capable, and relatively cheap. So many hop-up options. Just run on 2s, mine goes over 55 on 2s and is capable of more.

It’s the fun of modding from a simple ok/capable car into something of your own for street, rally, or drifting.

3DC7D8AB-DA67-4558-805F-AB7444EE7FE9.jpeg

4A14B1B6-7EC1-4FBC-BB23-570D8D5E4E83.jpeg

Last edited:

It can be done though.
On 3s geared tall, my TC3's PB was 69. With Belted Yokomos that blew out fast. I have Contact foamies I will try next. Very hard to keep the aero just right. I run a Gyro. Sensored HW/8 turn motor. These are very light. My TC3 is all Carbon composite. Chassis and Axles too, Center shaft is CF. Ball diffs, F+R .Factory Team edition. I wish they made a ball diff upgrade for the Arrma speed runners. Ball diffs are so smooth, lighter and quite easily adjustable. That would be different.
Perhaps. The spot we have is rather unique in that we use quite a bit of this large empty, cordoned off parking lot. So typically our courses that we set up are 1/10 scale size approaching 1/8 scale. That's not to say we couldn't downsize for smaller cars, but I think I might be used to having large, half-parking lot size straights. So running 4s on the SCT410's we use generally makes sense for that. On 2s or 3s for the SCTs we'd most likely be having heat issues with tall gearing to try and maximize speed on the straights. Knowing I'd end up making longer than normal straights with something like a tt02 even on a smaller track (we tend to like that style), I'd likely end up trying out 3s to hopefully keep heat down while still having some top end, and without sacrificing too much low end grunt for the corners.

Would a 10th scale buggy/truggy handle any of this better than say a tt02?

Appreciate the thoughts. I'll chew on any of this stuff you want to send me ;)
1/10 truggy or buggy on pavement cant hold a candle to most any 2s 1/10 TC. Just go watch some TC Race events. These things are rockets on rails. Still very Popular events in the EU and Asia. Speeds of 72 mph on the straights is common with these pros. Tamiya is known for their awesome track in Japan.

Last edited:
On 3s geared tall, my TC3's PB was 69. With Belted Yokomos that blew out fast. I have Contact foamies I will try next. Very hard to keep the aero just right. I run a Gyro. Sensored HW/8 turn motor. These are very light. My TC3 is all Carbon composite. Chassis and Axles too, Center shaft is CF. Ball diffs, F+R .Factory Team edition. I wish they made a ball diff upgrade for the Arrma speed runners. Ball diffs are so smooth, lighter and quite easily adjustable. That would be different.

I love ball diffs! Certainly a thing of the past for most things but your right, they are very smooth and work amazing when setup correctly. Not super great for high powered brushless though. They tend to slip unless tightened down to the point of almost being locked. You can pull the balls out and make up some washers from card stock that match your diff rings- tighten that down and you've got a decent locker.

Also @SrC Ive got about 30 input gears if you ever need any. Went on sale for $1 a pack and bought a ton for my speed running tc4. They tend to kill the input gears often. Got Tons of tc3/tc4 stuff. 1 of my favorite cars to this day. They don't make them like they used too. For the reasons you stated about yours.

Anyway back on track...

The tt02 has more ground clearance then the higher end touring cars. You can send them on a lot rougher pavement just fine.

If your question is between a tt02 and an 1/8 buggy I feel like you should consider more closely what your wanting. That's 2 very different setups..

If you want a platform that can do it all, on-road/offroad etc maybe consider the 6s Typhon.... they can be tuned to be on-road or offroad monsters and they are by far the cheapest 6s ticket there is.. $419 I believe. A typhon on some grps or hoons with suspension tuning could be a killer rig.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back