Giving street bashing another try, tips for smaller spaces?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Looking to see what others here do when bashing on road in smaller places. Tried to get into street bashing with my Typhon 6s a while back and it didn't go so good. Left me not liking road bashing, but wasn't the rigs fault, I just can't find anywhere without curbs/lightpoles everywhere. Broke a bunch of major stuff in 2 curb crashes including basher queen shock towers and top plate. Wasn't anywhere near top speed, would hate to see what that would do, lol.

Realized it was just overpowered street newbie mistakes and decided to give it another shot. Took my Bandit out for a run today in a huge parking lot. More curbs and light poles than I would like, but some pretty wide lanes and segments I can cut across all the parking spaces with plenty of room on each side for about 50-60 yards.

Made a few fast passes down the lanes, but then wanted to just work on driving skills. Started doing laps around the concrete islands in the lot and making figure 8s with 2 light poles. Defintely had to slow it down A LOT compared to off road because the grip is way different and sliding the rear end of a 2wd rig around (or any rig) is way different on dirt vs. paved surfaces.

Can definitely see how this could be a lot more fun with more time spent building up driving skills at slower speeds. Gotta say it makes some of the on road vids I've watched from members here seem that much more impressive. Anybody got tips on keeping things fun street bashing in smaller spots?

Looking forward to working on my driving some more. Its so freaking nice to walk in with my rig and NOT have to spend 10-15 minutes getting all the dust and rocks off everything! 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤘🤘🤘

Last edited:
What gearing are you using? Which radio/receiver are you using and does it have a Gyro or TSM, AVC, etc?

*Edit: Have you tried adjusting droop and/or adding bump stops? Both of my cars are lowered with the droop screws and have bump stops on the bottom of all 4 shocks to eliminate chassis slap and keep the back higher than the front at max compression/lift from acceleration or aero.

I just geared my 2 Typhon street-bashers, as well as my Infxn and FT, down to be slower on the top-end for better acceleration for drag racing times around a calculated 80+ mph top speed. I had them geared for top-speed runs but I just don't have the space for that. The biggest parking lot in walking distance is a medical center that is pretty empty on off-hours but it is only like 400' long which is barely enough for a 132' drag pull + braking. I have a nice road in front of my house that is 3 lanes wide but it's busy and has curbs, driveways, dogs, people, etc. I have managed too many 60 - 80 mph runs without a major wreck so I need to stop that.

I had one geared 25/40 that I turned down to 22/42, but here is some 25/40 data:
PXL_20230425_235559371.PORTRAIT.jpg

Screenshot_20230409-191836.png

I have hit 81 with this setup and wasn't at full throttle so I assume it would hit the low 90's, which means the 24/36 car would likely hit the low 100s if I had the road for it.
Screenshot_20230425-195532.png

and the other was 24/36 (LMFAO) so I geared that down to 23/42. This is the 24/36 data.
PXL_20230426_233219944.PORTRAIT.jpg

Screenshot_20230426-193345.png

Last edited:
Right now I no longer have a Typhon, decided not to rebuild after the second crash. Took the upgrades for my Fireteam and put the rest in a parts bin. I think the gearing was 26/42 on it at the time (with a 1600kv motor). Running a Dumbo with gyro on all my rigs right now.
I have the Bandit set up to easily go from road to grass/dirt , was hoping to figure out a quick/easy way to setup my Fireteam for street bashing but still be able to go back off road without much hassle.
I figured having a spare center diff with a heavier weight for street wouldn't be a bad idea. I run 30/500/20 right now, wanting to go up to 50 in the front and was thinking a spare diff with 1mil for street?

All of my street bashers are currently spooled but I launch them more than I drift them. I tried 500k with 46T spurs but all of the diffs I rebuilt were leaking so it was easier to just spool everything for now. Robinson does have a 40T spur for the Arrma 6s Diff cases on Amazon that I am thinking of trying in the future when I rebuild all those leaky diffs I have in a tub.

I've been ripping up the grocery store parking lot across the street from my apartment with my 6s typhon for quite a while now. During business hours I like to do burnouts against my front step & just hoon around in the street in front of my place, spinning cookies & drifting around. What kind of tires are you running? Do you like drifting around, spinning donuts or do you like to do like mini F1 course driving? I don't think you really need to make drastic changes to have fun on road- although a typhon is a lot more cross compatible than a fireteam is. You could just try some road tires 1st, before you make any bigger diff changes. They make belted Banditos that may suit the fireteam well, I have some but haven't run them very much. You could also get yourself some little cones to set up to hone your driving skills as well. Just some suggestions, only you can decide what you like doing. 🤷‍♂️👍🤘

I run my Typhon 3s with Duratrax Bandito tires and my Infraction 3s with Hoons white label tires on pavement. I'm lucky to have a wide street with no curbs in front of my house (pic below): there's little traffic, but I do have to watch out for the occasional Amish horse and buggy from the farm at the end of the street (those white marks on the shoulder are from horseshoes). I do have to avoid wooden mailbox posts though: I hit my neighbor's mailbox at 30+ MPH with my Maxx, and the impact did a fair amount of damage to the Maxx.

Asher Rd.jpg

You could also get yourself some little cones to set up to hone your driving skills as well.
:unsure: that sounds like a good way to change things up regularly.👍
All of my street bashers are currently spooled but I launch them more than I drift them. I tried 500k with 46T spurs but all of the diffs I rebuilt were leaking so it was easier to just spool everything for now.
How is the handling spooled? That would be a nice fast solution for the center diff.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back