Gun owners talk to me about Red Dot (hobby question only)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Fam

I usually do not go off-topic, but I need more input here. First, I am not gov, military, police, or anything like that, although I wish I had to honor to have served like some of you. I am 50+ years live in TN. I know the South has a softer response to guns. I have been a licensed to carry gun owner since 1997. I do not own many guns, only two: Sig Sauer P365 9mm and Sig Sauer P365 .380. All I need and ever want. I do practice range shooting at 5-7ft only, no long distance. I feel 3-5ft ideal real-world range for me. I shot fairly well in that range. I'm not trying to get a flaming discussion on guns, opinions on US and guns, or anything like that. Just on Red Dot accessory!

OK... :) my carry gun is the P365 380. Please, no back/forth over 380 vs 9mm for carrying YT has that cover. The gun I am comfortable with and able to shoot well (it has little recoil), and I hit targets better with it much better groupings, is the one I will carry. "Red Dot" just want to get thoughts around I am thinking about adding one...not sure:

My questions or concerns are:
  • It seems to be positive with Red Dot natural for the mind to find a dot when on a range target. How long would it take to get used to the transition?
  • Glow or iron sights used for years, I can find those. I will admit shooting at 7ft with older eyes and targets can challenge me. Seems I can use both eyes with a Red Dot. Is that correct vs. iron sights my strongest eye aligns with the range target?
  • Is learning how to find the dot hard? From a ready position, not hunting around for the dot harder
  • The bigger question might be is Red Dot is needed in the 3-5ft range. Sure, the dot would be better on a range target but would I ever find the dot vs iron sights?

Mods, if I am out of order on this question, please delete it and forgive me. My question is only to gun owners and Red Dot and not about harm, premediate, or doing any form of injury to anyone...speaking to range targets. Many collect arms as a hobby, like RC, so for those who can share knowledge with me, please do.

Please keep it on Sights and Red Dot only.

Thx

@LicketySplit knows this subject well.

For me, red dots are dialed in at 20 yards on a HG. I don’t personally carry any dots on hand guns I own though. From there you have to factor in distance and wind so if it’s farther out, my dot is above the target. Don’t close one eye either, you use both and it makes it look like the dot is on target but obviously only in the optic.

Dot brightness can be turned up and down, all depending on what your eyes like. Do you need a dot for 3-5 feet, only if you’re blind😂😉👍🏻

I don't use a red dot sight on my H&K USP 9, but I do use a combination light and red dot laser on the bottom rail. My USP is my home defense weapon, and I have the aim point of the laser set to be on target at 25 feet., which is the longest range I expect to use it. I have a Colt 6920 LE with Sig Sauer Romeo5 red dot sight for use at longer range.

I haven't had to deal with red dots on handguns (only guns that are quite possibly illegal). I think the optimal range for a red dot is 15-50yrds (IIRC, I only used RDs at 25 yrds). Maybe it is just the fact I don't conceal carry legally (yet), but I feel that the red dot would get in the way of drawing a gun out fast.

Edit: "dear" "100% constitutional" ATF. I did not confirm any wrongdoings related to guns (or anything else) in this post. If in the future RDs become illegal, know that the times I was referring to using a red dot in this post, were times when it was legal. Anywhoo, ATF you SUCK. Go kick rocks. I hope you get defunded. 🖕

Last edited:
I don’t think a red dot is needed for what you are doing. I’m not typically a fan of carrying a pistol with an rtr sight on it though. I think it adds to the bulk of it and isn’t necessary, not to mention if you have to turn it on. I know some are ‘shake to wake’. But if ever needed in a defensive situation, I don’t want to rely on something that can fail. I think simplicity is best in that case and would stick with a high visibility iron sight.

Now if you want to start shooting competitively, then knock yourself out. Or if you start shooting for distance, I can see the appeal for it. I have three pistols with rtr cutouts and haven’t felt the need to add one. And I hit 6” steel plates at 100 yards regularly. Given, I do come from a law enforcement /military family where my dad has been an instructor for almost 40 years. Lol

Nothing will replace practice though. Draw, raise, shoot, repeat.

These are from when I took my concealed carry class years ago. 😆

IMG_1459.jpeg

IMG_1458.jpeg

IMG_1461.jpeg

I've used red dots on my .22 pistols and on my G17L "race" gun. However none of these are mounted on a reciprocating slide - the 17L has an ALG 6 second mount. Overall it does take a longer to find the red dot over irons but that might be because I don't practice enough with the red dot. None of my red dots are slide mounted - I'm not sure how easy follow up shots would be.

FWIW, I'm happy with irons on my carry guns but you gotta do what works for you :)

My personal thoughts.
For a carry gun, keep it concealable and something you are comfortable with. I prefer iron sights on my CCW. I can pull my weapon and group everything touching each other without thinking at 10 yards.
A sight will not make you a better shooter, training and lots of ammo will :ROFLMAO:

I use red dot at 50 yards with a .22 m14 style rifle. Point and shoot... but... yeah. I hit 1 to 2 inch targets. Getting steady enough is Maybe the issue for everyone to some degree at that range.

It's my pinker gun. I act like it's a paintball gun with the 30 round magazine. :)

I use normal gun sights on my hand guns

I don’t think a red dot is needed for what you are doing. I’m not typically a fan of carrying a pistol with an rtr sight on it though. I think it adds to the bulk of it and isn’t necessary, not to mention if you have to turn it on. I know some are ‘shake to wake’. But if ever needed in a defensive situation, I don’t want to rely on something that can fail. I think simplicity is best in that case and would stick with a high visibility iron sight.

Now if you want to start shooting competitively, then knock yourself out. Or if you start shooting for distance, I can see the appeal for it. I have three pistols with rtr cutouts and haven’t felt the need to add one. And I hit 6” steel plates at 100 yards regularly. Given, I do come from a law enforcement /military family where my dad has been an instructor for almost 40 years. Lol

Nothing will replace practice though. Draw, raise, shoot, repeat.

These are from when I took my concealed carry class years ago. 😆

View attachment 297386

View attachment 297387

View attachment 297388
Grunt style😉

I haven't had to deal with red dots on handguns (only guns that are quite possibly illegal). I think the optimal range for a red dot is 15-50yrds (IIRC, I only used RDs at 25 yrds). Maybe it is just the fact I don't conceal carry legally (yet), but I feel that the red dot would get in the way of drawing a gun out fast.

Edit: "dear" "100% constitutional" ATF. I did not confirm any wrongdoings related to guns (or anything else) in this post. If in the future RDs become illegal, know that the times I was referring to using a red dot in this post, were times when it was legal. Anywhoo, ATF you SUCK. Go kick rocks. I hope you get defunded. 🖕
🤣🤣🤣That's some funny ass sh*t👍

Well, I've been in the firearms business my entire adult life and currently oversee R&D for a firearms company. I've decided what guns police departments carry. I know every aspect of this firearms business, and this is a very, very simple answer for you.

If you have any intention on taking a human life with a firearm, change absolutely nothing on the gun. Zero. Nada. Unless your day job is LEO or an armorer for a LEO, you are operating outside your skill set. Carry factory loaded ammo only.

You will be eaten alive in court if you "modify" this weapon. That's easy pickin's for a nitwit DA or ( and there will be ) civil attorney. I know of more than one, two, three, five people who have paid well over $50k to prove they were in the right when they shot someone.

Practice, practice, practice.

The legal system is changing very fast around the use of firearms, and it's common to see 2 years of legal wrangling pick over a 5 second decision.

If you would like to talk about this off-line, I'm more than happy to chat on the phone and offer ideas and guidance. PM me. I absolutely implore you to think very hard on decisions to alter or carry a firearm.

The people I know who thought they were all bad and shot someone up with their new fancy blah blah blah pistol, 1000% wished they could pull back those bullets and make a different choice. It has absolutely ruined a few of their lives.

Last edited:
Trijicon night sight
Point , shoot , front post mostly IMO
I’m not much on punching paper ….
I’m more into brass rainbows…
Extended brass rainbows
And the k line of HKs
It had a SERIOUS addiction for some time …
HK everything
from

MP5k 9mm
MP5 k 10mm
Mp5 40
Mp5 SD x2
HK33
HK53 x3
Hk 51
Hk 53k (223 4in bbl)
HK 51k (308 4in barrel)
G36k
All da way up to the 23s and 21s (beltfeds)
And that’s just the HKs 😀😀😃😃
Told ya I like shock and Awe !!!

Last edited:
@LicketySplit knows this subject well.

For me, red dots are dialed in at 20 yards on a HG. I don’t personally carry any dots on hand guns I own though. From there you have to factor in distance and wind so if it’s farther out, my dot is above the target. Don’t close one eye either, you use both and it makes it look like the dot is on target but obviously only in the optic.

Dot brightness can be turned up and down, all depending on what your eyes like. Do you need a dot for 3-5 feet, only if you’re blind😂😉👍🏻
First question. Does @parcou have an astigmatism? Not a deal breaker just curious. I carry a RDS on my EDC. I take it everywhere. Even when I drop a deuce. I’ll say the same thing I always say. If you buy a $1,000 gun spend $2,000 in training. Just because you have a hammer doesn’t make you a carpenter.

Dots CAN be harder to pick up upon presentation. Dry fire helps with that. Once you get things sorted out (training), dots are exponentially faster than irons. And having a dot on your gun won’t hurt you in court. That’s a myth.

My EDC minus extra mags and holster.
IMG_2444.jpeg

Can you guys come over to Rhode island and shoot these monster rats I have in my back yard🤔 .I tryed using a pellet gun but the rats just laugh at me ..
If you shoot a shotgun, you can keep real-estate prices down by you, and if the police show up, you can tell them you were just shooting a BB gun at rats.

If 'grouping' isn't a high priority or just have one bullet that has to hit the target at your neighbour's neighbour through your car and the wall of your house and refrigerator, this is the gun. :ROFLMAO:At 5.45 the loading of the gun and fun starts.:cool:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back